Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 Phoneshow vs. Niall Boylan Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

I heard Niall and Adrian are great friends its all just banter, Id say Niall will be Best Man at Adrians' upcoming nuptials

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Gauguin_Ghost

Niall Boylan is no longer live on a Wednesday night. He's live only 3 nights of the week now and the Wednesday night show is just repeats... It's so shoddy... There is no excuse for broadcasting repeats continuously on a prime time slot.They really should have a stand in for the Wednesday night show, like his rivals do. I'd love to hear David Harvey back on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Niall Boylan is no longer live on a Wednesday night. He's live only 3 nights of the week now and the Wednesday night show is just repeats... It's so shoddy... There is no excuse for broadcasting repeats continuously on a prime time slot.They really should have a stand in for the Wednesday night show, like his rivals do. I'd love to hear David Harvey back on the air.

or just get rid of whichever is the least listened to out of the 2 shows, afternoon or evening. that way the quality of topics could be higher and maybe less repetition.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Sterling_One

I had the misfortune to be in a taxi last night that had Niall Boylan playing... It was torture, most of it seemed to consist of him laughing obnoxiously and constantly interrupting his callers. How anyone can actually want to listen and sit through such garbage is beyond me.

i'm really liking this chap who's standing in on the phoneshow the past couple of nights.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Sterling_One

The Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow circa 2007...

Adrian: "Now, we've Tracy on line 2... howayeh Tracy?"

Tracy: "Howayeh Chris....."

Adrian: "It's Adrian..."

Tracy: (pause) ''Howayeh Chris...''

Adrian: ''Turn off your radio please Tracy''

Tracy: (pause).. ''Sorry Adrian, what's that fella's name?''

Adrian: ''His name is John''

Tracy: ''Can he hear me?''

Adrian: ''He can hear you''.

Tracy: ''Yeah, you see that fella John.. he's a... hello?.."

Adrian: ''Yeah, go on Tracy!''

Tracy: ''Yeah that fella John.. he's a bleedin muppeh he is''

Adrian: "Well John.., you're a muppet, what do you say to that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

i'm really liking this chap who's standing in on the phoneshow the past couple of nights.

Think he sounds great. Better than the other chap who was filling in before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Things have obviously changed big time since i last listened regularly no one else other than Mike Hogan his producer ever stood in for Niall Boylan to present the night time show back then. Is it a sign perhaps that he just doesn't have the same interest in it as he once did especially with him also hosting in the afternoon these days so he simply hasnt got the energy to juggle both shows all the time. Personally i believe another presenter should have been brought in to replace David Harvey after his departure instead of Boylan who should just have been kept to nights because you could argue its never been the same since Boylan was also given the afternoon slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 inspector frost

Late-night talk radio in Ireland has been dying ever since Adrian and Jeremy left FM104. Cormac and Keith seem to be almost afraid of saying anything even remotely controversial. It's such a contrast with the Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow, which was exciting, brilliant and irreverent. I'd love if they were still presenting the Phoneshow, it would be an antidote to these politically correct times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

They seem quite young and inexperienced to be doing such a show. Keith never challenges callers and his general knowledge is, on average, average at best.

• Advertisement

They seem quite young and inexperienced to be doing such a show. Keith never challenges callers and his general knowledge is, on average, average at best.

Keith is the same age Adrian was when he took over the Phoneshow from Chris Barry back in the late nineties.

Have Adrian and Jeremy equalled or surpassed the listenership they had on 104?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 purple_432

When Niall came back on the scene, he just happened to be in the right place, at the right time. Ireland was in the depths of recession, people were angry and wanted to vent. He provided an outlet and captured the zeitgeist. But now that the country is out of recession, Niall cannot sell doom and gloom anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

purple_432 wrote: »
    When Niall came back on the scene, he just happened to be in the right place, at the right time. Ireland was in the depths of recession, people were angry and wanted to vent. He provided an outlet and captured the zeitgeist. But now that the country is out of recession, Niall cannot sell doom and gloom anymore...

Despite what the government may say we are still very much in a recession.

You only have to look at the homeless figures to see that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Despite what the government may say we are still very much in a recession.

You only have to look at the homeless figures to see that.
    Ireland is the fastest growing economy in Europe. That's the exact opposite of a recession, in fact we are the furthest country in Europe from a recession.

Housing supply being less than demand is different, and there isn't enough interest in the general population to discuss the housing crisis repetitively.

marno21 wrote: »
    Ireland is the fastest growing economy in Europe. That's the exact opposite of a recession, in fact we are the furthest country in Europe from a recession.

Housing supply being less than demand is different, and there isn't enough interest in the general population to discuss the housing crisis repetitively.

So where is all the money then ?

Only today a homeless guy came up to me demanding money.

GDP and GNP figures mean very little to people who live in the real world.

Where I live I'm seeing more and more down and outs every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

How much money is actually going into the pockets of ordinary salt of the earth Joe soaps who've not received a pay rise since before the recession. All the growth seems to be benefitting the upper middle class while the working class and lower middle class continue to be squeezed.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How much money is actually going into the pockets of ordinary salt of the earth Joe soaps who've not received a pay rise since before the recession. All the growth seems to be benefitting the upper middle class while the working class and lower middle class continue to be squeezed.

Most people are still on less money than they were on 10 years ago yet taxes and the cost of living is higher than it was back then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Most people are still on less money than they were on 10 years ago yet taxes and the cost of living is higher than it was back then.

Average salaries are now higher than they were 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Loughc wrote: »
    Average salaries are now higher than they were 10 years ago.

And the CPI is 0.7% lower - higher housing prices are offset by a crash in the price of food, clothing, etc. So Dr Brown wrong on both counts as well as being wrong as there being a recession.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    And the CPI is 0.7% lower - higher housing prices are offset by a crash in the price of food, clothing, etc. So Dr Brown wrong on both counts as well as being wrong as there being a recession.

You can't believe official statistics aka "leprechaun economics" or the "experts" etc.

Only 10 years ago all the "experts" told us the economy was heading for a "soft landing".

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/leprechaun-economics-irelands-26pc-growth-spurt-laughed-off-as-farcical-34879232.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Keith is the same age Adrian was when he took over the Phoneshow from Chris Barry back in the late nineties.

Maybe so but Adrian and Chris' general knowledge was much wider even back then - I mean, Keith not knowing which county the Rock of Cashel was in ? Lots of other little things that make me think the show is geared towards teenagers/early 20's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't believe official statistics aka "leprechaun economics" or the "experts" etc.

Only 10 years ago all the "experts" told us the economy was heading for a "soft landing".

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/leprechaun-economics-irelands-26pc-growth-spurt-laughed-off-as-farcical-34879232.html

Average incomes and the CPI are based entirely on solid fact. To be in a recession requires two successive quarters of economic contraction which isn't happening and hasn't happened for years no matter which set of figures you use.

You have an agenda and don't like when facts weaken it.

I'm looking for old podcasts of the Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow on FM104. If anyone has any, could you message me. I'm willing to pay for some via Paypal. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

purple_432 wrote: »
    I'm looking for old podcasts of the Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow on FM104. If anyone has any, could you message me. I'm willing to pay for some via Paypal. Thanks

type in yoututube and type in fm104 phoneshow adrian kennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

What's the story with Niall Boylan's programme and repeats? Seems it's never live.

The Niall Boylan Show is now, apparently, the most listened to late night show in Ireland. Makes me wonder how true this is though, considering the show is only live about twice a week now.

What's the story with Niall Boylan's programme and repeats? Seems it's never live.

i don't know. it's ridiculous tbh. they should axe the least performing of the 2 and extend the other. i wonder what the difference in listenership was between the 2 before the night time one ended up being mostly repeats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

i don't know. it's ridiculous tbh. they should axe the least performing of the 2 and extend the other. i wonder what the difference in listenership was between the 2 before the night time one ended up being mostly repeats?

Good question. I wonder are people getting fed up with no live programmes. It's very strange. i don't listen in every night but whenever I do it's never live.

• Advertisement

Good question. I wonder are people getting fed up with no live programmes.

they seem to be, at least if the facebook is anything to go by when a post is made in the night time by the show.
    It's very strange. i don't listen in every night but whenever I do it's never live.

it's the same for me. barely ever live. there is just no point IMO.
    the phone show can be an alternative depending on the topic, however i find the host a bit pandery to some of the callers when in fact, he should be challenging them. ian collins on lbc is a good alternative though.

Advertisement