Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

markodaly wrote: »
    The last words of a zealot fundamentalist.

You wanna argue with a thermometer work away lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

20Cent wrote: »
    This is the false equivalence people like the guy in Petersons video are trying to sell in order to muddy the waters. Reality is over 90%+ of climate scientists agree. In addition we have things called thermometers which just record temperature with no political bias.
    There is no debate left to be had.

Okay, so this is pretty unrelated to the rest of the thread, but all the same I'll just say that there is still debate to be had.

Climate science is notoriously tricky, and reliable data gets more and more sparse the further back you go. Getting reliable readings for temperature in Europe in the 17th century is tricky, and that's 5 minutes ago in human history.

I'd say that the greatest threat that humans pose to the climate is by inadvertently threatening the environment of plankton. As these are the single most important source of photosynthesis on the planet, a decline in their number could be devastating (never mind the other impacts of something at the bottom of the food chain being adversely affected can have).

That we're threatening the oceans is probably true, not not definite, and what measure we could and should take to rectify this aren't clear, so you could say, it's debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

He's precise in his speech, [..]

No, he asserts that he is -- or more precisely, preaches that should be. In practice, he's anything but.

Case in point, his recent RTE interview, during the space of which he used "enforced" variously to mean "not enforced", and to mean "enforced".

Very often it's classic bait-and-switch. Or motte-and-bailey, if you prefer the cod-medievalist term. Made a hyperbolic claim. When challenged on it, resort to sputtering outrage, and defending some far weaker version of if, citing "obviously I meant", "it's a well-known technical term", and other such blather.

Much like Trump's mendacity being excused by his apologists as "metaphor". Or I suppose like the BrExit bus. Who cares if it's a lie, if it gets people onto your talking point, and appeals to their prejudices, then job done.

Probably why he falls out with Sam Harris -- though I'm not fan of his, either -- with his "let us first redefine 'truth'" stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I'd say that the greatest threat that humans pose to the climate is by inadvertently threatening the environment of plankton. As these are the single most important source of photosynthesis on the planet, a decline in their number could be devastating (never mind the other impacts of something at the bottom of the food chain being adversely affected can have).
    That's particularly great in magnitude of outcome, but to say it's the "greatest threat" is rather to minimise higher-probability events, on a (somewhat) less catastrophic scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I don't know if you're doing that just to annoy him but I though it was perfectly clear that he meant the theory that climate change was man made.

No, I wasn't trying to annoy anyone. No, it wasn't at all clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Climate change exists and is a problem caused by human beings. Overall, gay marriage is a good thing. See, Petersen? It's not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Listen to yourself for a minute, spouting nonsense on this thread.
    How does one thermometer prove man-made climate change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Go over to climate change thread.

Perhaps Peterson should keep his mouth shut about subjects he really isn't qualified to a have an opinion.

He should keep to his self help celebrity thing he's trying to cultivate.

You're having a laugh now. I'll give you the same advice I gave Peterson. Educate yourself about a topic before commenting on it in public otherwise one will look very foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yet, in the past we had experts, tell us that homosexuality was a mental disorder and that blacks were inferior to whites and science proved it. These were the experts at that time.

Look, I see your point but as I said, science is not infallible and this topic, especially of climate change have fundamentalists on both sides, who have questionable motives.

There’s no way that greenhouse gasses can’t make the earth hotter. It’s physically impossible.

Although I dislike the forces against Peterson, the more I learn of him the more I dislike him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

alaimacerc wrote: »
    No, he asserts that he is -- or more precisely, preaches that should be. In practice, he's anything but.

Case in point, his recent RTE interview, during the space of which he used "enforced" variously to mean "not enforced", and to mean "enforced".

Very often it's classic bait-and-switch. Or motte-and-bailey, if you prefer the cod-medievalist term. Made a hyperbolic claim. When challenged on it, resort to sputtering outrage, and defending some far weaker version of if, citing "obviously I meant", "it's a well-known technical term", and other such blather.

Much like Trump's mendacity being excused by his apologists as "metaphor". Or I suppose like the BrExit bus. Who cares if it's a lie, if it gets people onto your talking point, and appeals to their prejudices, then job done.

Probably why he falls out with Sam Harris -- though I'm not fan of his, either -- with his "let us first redefine 'truth'" stunt.

A well written post, but flawed at its core as the subject he was talking about (enforced monogamy) is an anthropological term for the way in which groups or cultures enforce monogamy through social practice.

People just heard "enforced monogamy" and assumed relationships at gunpoint. It shows ignorance on the side of his detractors, especially when the wrong idea is propagated heavily through the media and only serves to further polarize those who like him and those that don't.

Also, people just want reasons to attack him.

Anyone who listens to him long enough knows that he gives an answer he believes to be true and then goes into the reasoning behind his assessment, but again the idea that people are not okay with the fact he knows he isn't 100% about his answers are just used to being lied to, everybody should have the humility to realize that complex issues are want to changes as the human understanding evolves.

It's the listeners fault for thinking that when peterson says enforced monogamy he meant enforced monogamy.

It's the listeners fault for thinking that when peterson says enforced monogamy he meant enforced monogamy.

Agreed, they should have actually listened to what he said, or, had a better understanding as to what "enforced monogamy" actually means.

Still trying out this tired lie?
    You said it was alleged that I made controversial comments, that's exactly right, you got the terminology right there. What I pointed out that social enforcement of monogamous norms is one way that societies around the world keep male aggression at bay, and that's a solid finding from a hundred years of anthropology; one that's often cited by people on the left. So what happened in that New York Times article that you're referring to was that that was taken radically out of context - and the reporter knew that perfectly well, she was a very intelligent young woman, she knew exactly what she was doing when she did that - and to make the case that monogamous social norms, which are pretty much universal around the world, by the way, even though some people have some tendency towards multiple partners, the reason that monogamous social norms emerged was partially to keep male aggression under control. That's not controversial - anybody who knows the anthropological literature understands this.

Marian Finucane- That's the purpose of it?

Well.. there's a variety of purposes but that's definitely one. Polygamous societies are way more violent. Not a little bit more violent - way more violent. Yeah, so that's part of the purpose - there's a variety of purposes: you want people to have long-term stable partners because that's probably for men and women in general-

Marian Finucane- Love?

Well, yes, that would be good if it can be managed [...] The primary reason that monogamy is enforced socially is for children, as far as I can tell, because obviously children are dependent for very long periods of time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Most of the loudest voices who believe in the man made theory of climate change have no idea about climate science. What's your point?
    You don't have to be an expert to believe expert opinion.

On the other hand, if you think you know better than the experts, then you'd better have some knowledge to back that up or else you're no different to the clown who re-wires his own house and burns to death in a house fire.

I'm not saying it's wrong. The problem with the alarmists is they treat the whole thing as a sort of tribal battle where anyone who dares question them is evil and needs to be shut down. I don't like groupthink on any topic.
    It's not about them being evil, it's about them being ignorant and arrogant and incapable of assessing evidence

There are certain topics that make a good litmus test to see if someone is credible and worth listening to

If anyone comes out as a young earth creationist then straight away, that's a huge red flag for their ability to think logically and coherently

Similarly for people who are anti vaccination or think 9/11 was an inside job

Climate change denial is up there with being a creationist. It's one thing if you're just completely ignorant of the issue and don't have an opinion either way, but if you actively believe that climate change is a hoax or the scientific community are wrong or some kind of conspiracy is faking the data, then you're demonstrating an inability to think clearly on a topic that has overwhelming scientific support.

This is an interesting discussion between Jordan Peterson and Matt Dillahunty - their conversation is the first hour with a Q&A for the last forty minutes.

interesting in that asserts that it's impossible to quit smoking without supernatural intervention, and then he goes on to totally misrepresent studies on people using psilocybin and later quitting smoking.

It really shows how 'precise' he is in his language when he takes distorted interpretations of scientific studies as proof that humans are incapable of breaking an addiction without a supernatural intervention

He's a charlatan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Akrasia wrote: »
    interesting in that asserts that it's impossible to quit smoking without supernatural intervention, and then he goes on to totally misrepresent studies on people using psilocybin and later quitting smoking.

It really shows how 'precise' he is in his language when he takes distorted interpretations of scientific studies as proof that humans are incapable of breaking an addiction without a supernatural intervention

He's a charlatan.

His assertions that Dillahunty isn't really an atheist or that there would be no art or music without religion are bananas as well. His assertions didn't stand up to any scrutiny during the conversation.

Okay, so this is pretty unrelated to the rest of the thread, but all the same I'll just say that there is still debate to be had.

Climate science is notoriously tricky, and reliable data gets more and more sparse the further back you go. Getting reliable readings for temperature in Europe in the 17th century is tricky, and that's 5 minutes ago in human history.

That we're threatening the oceans is probably true, not not definite, and what measure we could and should take to rectify this aren't clear, so you could say, it's debatable.
    There are plenty of debates in science, even in 'settled science' there are debatable questions over competing mechanisms and hypothesis

When people say the debate is over, it's not that there are no uncertainties left, it is only referring to the debate over whether humans are the main cause and the role greenhouse gasses are having in the warming of our planet.

There is enormous uncertainty over what level of climate change we may cause, and what the consequences of that warming will be. This is not a good thing, we would much prefer to know what to expect so we can begin preparing for it, but there are lots of interactions in the biosphere that we can not predict with any certainty. It depends on the timing and sequence of events, and when certain tipping points are reached

What we do know with a very high degree of certainty is that we are on a very dangerous path that is time critical, the faster we act to get to a carbon neutral global economy, the less damage we will do, so when we have influential people like Jordan Peterson encouraging his supporters to deny climate change, it's so disheartening and it's genuinely harmful

Peterson has about 1300000 followers on youtube, and they're mostly young, and mostly active on the internet and tend to spread their views evangelically. That's a big troll army to have going around spreading more misinformation about climate change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There's also an interesting video up on YouTube where Dillahunty gives his thoughts on how the conversation went.

• Advertisement

He's a charlatan.

Are you misquoting him on purpose, or are the points he makes beyond you?

Do you understand what he means by the supernatural?

I think he is precise in his speech, but like the "enforced monogamy" argument, he was assuming he wasn't talking to toddlers.

kubjones wrote: »
    Are you misquoting him on purpose, or are the points he makes beyond you?

Do you understand what he means by the supernatural?

I think he is precise in his speech, but like the "enforced monogamy" argument, he was assuming he wasn't talking to toddlers.

Here's the transcript for that part of the conversation
    Dillahunty: We have no confirming that this something mystical or supernatural actually can -- happened, this this is this is about the language --
    Peterson: Stops people from smoking.
    Dillahunty: Well, you can stop smoking without any sort of supernatural intervention.
    Peterson: No, not really.
    Dillahunty: You can't stop smoking without supernatural --
    Peterson: There aren't really any, any reliable chemical means for inducing smoking cessation. You can use a drug called Bupropion, I think that's the one, whatever Wellbutrin is, um --
    Dillahunty: Is that supernatural?
    Peterson: No, you don't need a supernatural effect, but it doesn't work very well, but if you give people magic mushrooms, psilocybin, and they have a mystical experience, they have about an 85 percent chance of smoking cessation.

You can say I'm misquoting him all you like, but he said you can't stop smoking without supernatural intervention

There are plenty of debates in science, even in 'settled science' there are debatable questions over competing mechanisms and hypothesis

When people say the debate is over, it's not that there are no uncertainties left, it is only referring to the debate over whether humans are the main cause and the role greenhouse gasses are having in the warming of our planet.

As you yourself point out, that itself is uncertain, despite it being a reasonable conjecture. However regardless of whether CO2 emissions from human industry is a major factor in global warming, it certainly has local negative consequences making its reduction an important goal for scientific endeavor.
    What we do know with a very high degree of certainty is that we are on a very dangerous path that is time critical, the faster we act to get to a carbon neutral global economy, the less damage we will do, so when we have influential people like Jordan Peterson encouraging his supporters to deny climate change, it's so disheartening and it's genuinely harmful

There will always be people who say the Earth is flat, always people who say we never visited the moon, that extraterrestrial contact has been covered up by the government, and so on. These people are generally considered crackpots, but are allowed say whatever they like, on whatever platform they choose. You could argue that they threaten scientific enterprise or whatever, but in practice they are harmless.

They mightn't be a harmless minority if there was a concerted effort to shut them up though. Quite honestly my reaction to someone saying 'you mustnt ask that question' is to reply 'Why not? What are you hiding?'. Many people are of the same inclination.

There is a propensity for people to be motivated by a noble goal, and to do things that are perhaps not entirely noble to further that goal. The Earth will eventually meet its doom by its oceans being boiled away. That is certain. Humans are also seriously damaging the biosphere. That is also certain. Efforts to mitigate these two things can only be good, right?

Not necessarily. First off it depends whether these efforts actually do good, rather than harm. Second it depends whether they have any meaningful effect either way. If it turned out that a wind or tidal power solution consumed more energy than it produced, or the industrial processes involved in their creation damaged the environment, it would nonetheless be very difficult to criticize these developments because of the idea that the sentiment is all that matters.

At the moment there's very, very little atmospheric carbon dioxide, though it is without doubt increasing, and it is doubtless that the main cause of this increase is due to human industry (agriculture, manufacturing, transportation). Just as a side note, agriculture predominantly produces methane rather than CO2, but methane is a far more potent greenhouse gas.

Healthy and open debate and discussion about these things should be welcomed. At the moment it seems to be more a case of virtue signalling by western countries, rather than an attempt at making significant global differences. Electrification of vehicles, the use of nuclear power, and (apparently!) adding garlic to the diets of cattle would be ways in which Ireland could massively reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

But what Ireland does in terms of global emissions doesn't matter at all in the long run. If China doesn't cut emissions, then all bets are off. China produces as much CO2 as the USA, the EU and India combined. COMBINED.

I think that complaining about Jordan Peterson sharing this video is just part of the same pointless posturing that is sound without action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

His assertions that Dillahunty isn't really an atheist or that there would be no art or music without religion are bananas as well. His assertions didn't stand up to any scrutiny during the conversation.

I'm reading through his book at the moment and there's a paragraph on how he doesn't count anyone as truly atheist as they've grown up in a culture/society that's been shaped by religion. Can't say I agree with him on that not making you an atheist, but I see where he's coming from in an abstract way.

RE the book, I'm actually enjoying it. A lot more talk about the bible than I expected, but I find it an interesting thought experiment more than anything else. To the people saying he's not saying anything really new, well that's probably true of every self-help book. Also true of every fitness/exercise book. The ones that have completely new stuff are the ones to be wary of. I'll probably take a few things away from the book and try to implement them to some degree in my life.

I'm reading through his book at the moment and there's a paragraph on how he doesn't count anyone as truly atheist as they've grown up in a culture/society that's been shaped by religion. Can't say I agree with him on that not making you an atheist, but I see where he's coming from in an abstract way.

A good post.

I think the majority of people who don't like him just don't understand the points he's trying to make.

It doesn't mean his points are correct, in the same way that most other philosophers weren't necessarily correct. Its all up to interpretation.

A few people read a few articles on the Guardian about him that goes against their fundamental beliefs and rather than give him a small amount of their attention, they look for ways in which they can denounce him so they don't have to question their said beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Peterson is not above criticism.

kubjones wrote: »
    A well written post, but flawed at its core as the subject he was talking about (enforced monogamy) is an anthropological term for the way in which groups or cultures enforce monogamy through social practice.
    Except it's not a term used widely. Monagamy is commonly referred to, 'enforced monagamy' isn't. Marriage might be 'enforced' by law (which means there are legal protections for the rights of married couples, and legal requirements for the dissolution of marriage, but in almost no modern society is monogamy actually legally enforced. It is voluntary, marriage is voluntary, remaining married to ones partner is voluntary everywhere divorce is available (almost everywhere)

People just heard "enforced monogamy" and assumed relationships at gunpoint. It shows ignorance on the side of his detractors, especially when the wrong idea is propagated heavily through the media and only serves to further polarize those who like him and those that don't.
    Enforced means non voluntary. When someone says enforced participation in any activity, it means that the person has no choice. If peterson is 'precise' in his words, he couldn't have been less clear in his choice of words.
    Also, people just want reasons to attack him.

Anyone who listens to him long enough knows that he gives an answer he believes to be true and then goes into the reasoning behind his assessment, but again the idea that people are not okay with the fact he knows he isn't 100% about his answers are just used to being lied to, everybody should have the humility to realize that complex issues are want to changes as the human understanding evolves.
    He's not a rigorous thinker. He shoots his mouth off and then backtracks when people point out how silly or inconsistent his points are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

If he said that that is bananas. But there's no doubt that religion has had a profound impact on art and music.

As you yourself point out, that itself is uncertain, despite it being a reasonable conjecture. However regardless of whether CO2 emissions from human industry is a major factor in global warming, it certainly has local negative consequences making its reduction an important goal for scientific endeavor.

There will always be people who say the Earth is flat, always people who say we never visited the moon, that extraterrestrial contact has been covered up by the government, and so on. These people are generally considered crackpots, but are allowed say whatever they like, on whatever platform they choose. You could argue that they threaten scientific enterprise or whatever, but in practice they are harmless.

They mightn't be a harmless minority if there was a concerted effort to shut them up though. Quite honestly my reaction to someone saying 'you mustnt ask that question' is to reply 'Why not? What are you hiding?'. Many people are of the same inclination.

There is a propensity for people to be motivated by a noble goal, and to do things that are perhaps not entirely noble to further that goal. The Earth will eventually meet its doom by its oceans being boiled away. That is certain. Humans are also seriously damaging the biosphere. That is also certain. Efforts to mitigate these two things can only be good, right?

Not necessarily. First off it depends whether these efforts actually do good, rather than harm. Second it depends whether they have any meaningful effect either way. If it turned out that a wind or tidal power solution consumed more energy than it produced, or the industrial processes involved in their creation damaged the environment, it would nonetheless be very difficult to criticize these developments because of the idea that the sentiment is all that matters.

At the moment there's very, very little atmospheric carbon dioxide, though it is without doubt increasing, and it is doubtless that the main cause of this increase is due to human industry (agriculture, manufacturing, transportation). Just as a side note, agriculture predominantly produces methane rather than CO2, but methane is a far more potent greenhouse gas.

Healthy and open debate and discussion about these things should be welcomed. At the moment it seems to be more a case of virtue signalling by western countries, rather than an attempt at making significant global differences. Electrification of vehicles, the use of nuclear power, and (apparently!) adding garlic to the diets of cattle would be ways in which Ireland could massively reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

But what Ireland does in terms of global emissions doesn't matter at all in the long run. If China doesn't cut emissions, then all bets are off. China produces as much CO2 as the USA, the EU and India combined. COMBINED.

I think that complaining about Jordan Peterson sharing this video is just part of the same pointless posturing that is sound without action.
    I get angry whenever any celebrity uses his/her fame to promote pseudo science. And Climate change denial is the most dangerous of all the anti scientific movements out there. Everything else is temporary, delays to action on climate change will have long term consequences for generations to come, and for the mass extinction of countless species of plants and animals.

And while Ireland isn't a big greenhouse gas source on our own, we are part of the EU, so under that block, we are a major part of the problem just like Oklahoma might not produce much greenhouse gasses, but the USA does, or Yunnan Province in China is small on its own, but as part of China, it's big.

Global climate change requires every administrative level doing it's part from local government, right up to global blocks of nations.

Policy changes are required, and these will only be deployed once public sentiment supports action on climate change. As long as there is climate change denial, politicial action will be slow because there will be organised resistence to any measures strong enough to be effective.

I agree with you that the efforts to mitigate climate change need to be science and evidence based, but we largely already know what the first steps need to be. There are lots of people working on mitigation and adaptation projects, it's an entire IPCC working group. We should accept their recommendations without having back seat 'skeptics' spreading conspiracy theories about how they're all motivated by greed instead of the need to address climate change.

• Advertisement

If he said that that is bananas. But there's no doubt that religion has had a profound impact on art and music.

Yep, historically, but modern western music and art has almost nothing to do with religion apart from some genres like gospel music or 'christian rock'

But then Jordan Peterson can define 'spirituality' or 'the divine' to mean anything he wants to fit whatever argument he wants to make. It's the same thing Deepak Chopra does all the time.

Advertisement