Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papal Vist - lost opportunity for public transport to shine

Options
  • 30-07-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

600,000 people to and from the Phoenix Park in one day. Big challenge.

The challenge is also an opportunity. If users are impressed with public transport on the day, who knows they might leave the car behind on other journeys.

Unfortunately, having reviewed plans, I am completely underwhelmed. I suspect the shortcomings are not necessarily down to the transport operators but perhaps the Guards or whomever else isn’t willing to close down roads to general traffic.

Assuming it’s not logisticaly possible to have vehicles driving into the Park, the objective should be to drop off and pick up as close as possible.

Buses
    The drop off points could be much closer to the Park. If you closed the Chapilizod bypass and N3 completely, you could drop off passengers close to Islandbridge and the Ashtown roundabout respectively with easy turning facilities for buses. Why isn’t this being done? Also with these wide roads closed, one could arrange for hundreds of buses to be ready to leave once the event is over.

LUAS
    Why aren’t red line services serving Houston and Museum? Crown control doesn’t make sense to me. Both stops have a good deal of space that would permit safe queueing at departure time.

TRAINS
    There appears still to be a lack of detail here. There don’t appear to be much by way of extra services. Will all rolling stock be used on the day? If not, why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

KC8 wrote: »

The challenge is also an opportunity. If users are impressed with public transport on the day, who knows they might leave the car behind on other journeys.

Unfortunately, having reviewed plans, I am completely underwhelmed. I suspect the shortcomings are not necessarily down to the transport operators but perhaps the Guards or whomever else isn’t willing to close down roads to general traffic.

Assuming it’s not logisticaly possible to have vehicles driving into the Park, the objective should be to drop off and pick up as close as possible.

Buses
    The drop off points could be much closer to the Park. If you closed the Chapilizod bypass and N3 completely, you could drop off passengers close to Islandbridge and the Ashtown roundabout respectively with easy turning facilities for buses. Why isn’t this being done? Also with these wide roads closed, one could arrange for hundreds of buses to be ready to leave once the event is over.

LUAS
    Why aren’t red line services serving Houston and Museum? Crown control doesn’t make sense to me. Both stops have a good deal of space that would permit safe queueing at departure time.

TRAINS
    There appears still to be a lack of detail here. There don’t appear to be much by way of extra services. Will all rolling stock be used on the day? If not, why not?

Personally,I remain sceptical that the pope will draw that 600,000,but even allowing for that scepticism,the Garda Security requirements appear Waaay OTT.

If one compares the numbers of those catered for in 1979,and the extremely effective Public Transport arrangements back then,one could be forgiven for asking whether they bothered to keep the 1979 plan on file ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TRAINS

Not looked at Irishrail.ie then, most routes getting at least one additional return service while NIR will run a service from Derry and two from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Buses

LUAS

TRAINS

It's a normal working day for a lot of people who have zero interest in this. It's bad enough the city being shut down as it is without adding this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If users are impressed with public transport on the day
    the idea that the public transport for a city of 1-1.5m (all depends on how you choose to calculate that) could cope with 600,000 people going to the same event at the same time at the same venue, and impress people enough to make them think 'wow, PT is something i will now consider as a valid option' is a colossal ask.

and as mentioned above, it should also continue to serve the rest of the city at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Buses

Why would you close the N4, when Conyngham road is available to close and let coaches park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's been announced that they're delaying release of tickets for the final mass as they seem to be worried about carmageddon, that most people will expect to drive to it and the city will grind to a halt. there's a surprise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

it's been announced that they're delaying release of tickets for the final mass as they seem to be worried about carmageddon, that most people will expect to drive to it and the city will grind to a halt. there's a surprise.

Can they not just have a drive in mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Standard practice is to have transport drop people off a fair distance from the event. It avoids crush situations as it spreads the crowd out

Its important to note the number of daily rail passengers today far exceeds that carried on the date of the last Papal Mass at the Phoenix Park (125k), the DART with a fleet of 80 coaches carried 125k on a single day in 1996, with the current fleet of 144 200k would be not be a problem add a further 100k from the Intercity/Commuter operation. Luas can easily manage 100k plus in a day

Add in Dublin Bus, Go Ahead, Translink and whoever else the NTA can hire in it would be practical to assume PT could cope with 50% of the demand, a huge number will walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Personally,I remain sceptical that the pope will draw that 600,000,but even allowing for that scepticism,the Garda Security requirements appear Waaay OTT.

If one compares the numbers of those catered for in 1979,and the extremely effective Public Transport arrangements back then,one could be forgiven for asking whether they bothered to keep the 1979 plan on file ?

Gottta remember the amount of people going to the event this year who have their own cars as opposed to 1979.

Are they letting people in/out of the park from many gates? My sister and family are going. I live out near Blanchardstown/Clonsilla. They could get the 39A (Or train to Clonsilla from Ashtown) if they can leave via the Ashtown gate.

Did I hear on RTE that they were placing restrictions basically out to the M50?

Plus, unfortunately, so many people just will NOT use public transport if they can help it at all. I use the train Mon-Fri and use busses regularly and, bar rush-hour extreme delays and scrotes on busses (Another conversation that's been done to death), I have no real complaints.

But I know people who would sit in their car for hours, stopping and starting, trying to find a parking spot 10 feet closer rather than get a bus. It's sad but true.

This is also going to be a big generalisation but the vast majority of the people going will be from outside of Dublin and many (Majority) will be middle-aged/older. These people would also be resistant to getting off at Red Cow, Getting LUAS and then, maybe, bus - Tickets, people, confusion etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Notice on Irish Rail that tickets for intercity services are mandatory and must be purchased in advance. I can see some people getting caught out by this.

• Advertisement

Plus, unfortunately, so many people just will NOT use public transport if they can help it at all.
    if i heard correctly on RTE, there was a clear implication that they already know the intentions on how people intend on getting to the event - was that part of the ticket application process?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Did I hear on RTE that they were placing restrictions basically out to the M50?

Basically the dark greyed area on these maps are restricted, but I can't actually find out what these restrictions are.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/tfi-papal-visit-transport-phoenix-park-maps-final.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Why would you close the N4, when Conyngham road is available to close and let coaches park.

Do you suggest letting coaches park in Conyngham Road Depot? It's DB private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The pope could have just relocated his visit to Belfast-Derry and Mayo and that would've virtually removed the transport issues. Bring the mountain to muhammod as it were. Dubliners don't want to go see the pope like in all fairness. That's something for Northerners and grannies from Mayo.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Basically the dark greyed area on these maps are restricted, but I can't actually find out what these restrictions are.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/tfi-papal-visit-transport-phoenix-park-maps-final.pdf

Yeah, that's the map I saw too but, as you said, haven't heard what these restrictions will be. Limiting private traffic to residents only? Unlikely as it's such a large area and surely they would have to issue some kind of tag/sticker for windscreens. Otherwise every cop will be told the driver lives in Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can't they just pray for a great transport service?

cgcsb wrote: »
    The pope could have just relocated his visit to Belfast-Derry and Mayo and that would've virtually removed the transport issues. Bring the mountain to muhammod as it were. Dubliners don't want to go see the pope like in all fairness. That's something for Northerners and grannies from Mayo.

Heaven forbid Dublin actually act like a capital city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I live out near Blanchardstown/Clonsilla. They could get the 39A (Or train to Clonsilla from Ashtown) if they can leave via the Ashtown gate.

Nope to that. For some insanely stupid reason, all N3 buses are being rerouted via the M50 and through Finglas for the day. Utterly baffling.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Nope to that. For some insanely stupid reason, all N3 buses are being rerouted via the M50 and through Finglas for the day. Utterly baffling.

They're what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Surely there will be a "Public Consultation" exercise for this major change...?

I'm Confident that such a responsible,public spirited authority,will be very keen to learn the views of it's customers ....Yes ?? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

TheChrisD wrote:

It's crazy , there will be no route 120 on the day and the 122 and 46a will terminate at broadstone garage on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

P_1 wrote: »
    They're what?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Diversions-due-to-Papal-Mass-Sunday-26-August-2018/

Every single bus that normally uses the N3 corridor (37/38/39/70) will instead on that Sunday be diverted to go via the M50 from Blanch to Finglas and then into town via the N2, Whitworth Road and OCS.

Basically, a massive detour for D15 passengers, and a giant middle finger to Castleknock and D7 passengers for having the audacity to actually want to make use of their bus services that day.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    Surely there will be a "Public Consultation" exercise for this major change...?

Considering that it seems most people found out about the planned road closures from the fact that Dublin Bus released these diversions, rather than as an announcement from the Guards or the county/city councils shows how little the public is being informed.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Diversions-due-to-Papal-Mass-Sunday-26-August-2018/

Every single bus that normally uses the N3 corridor (37/38/39/70) will instead on that Sunday be diverted to go via the M50 from Blanch to Finglas and then into town via the N2, Whitworth Road and OCS.

Basically, a massive detour for D15 passengers, and a giant middle finger to Castleknock and D7 passengers for having the audacity to actually want to make use of their bus services that day.

Considering that it seems most people found out about the planned road closures from the fact that Dublin Bus released these diversions, rather than as an announcement from the Guards or the county/city councils shows how little the public is being informed.

Why on earth is Talbot street being closed? That makes zero sense whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

if i heard correctly on RTE, there was a clear implication that they already know the intentions on how people intend on getting to the event - was that part of the ticket application process?

Yes, they asked where you were coming from and how you intended to travel.

You... are... f*cking... JOKING!!!!!!

No, you're not. Oh my God. So, my sister is coming up and is staying in the hotel in Blanch 'cos, y'know, near (And my house is full). I told her: Excellent idea. You can get 39/39A into Ashtown roundabout.... So she has to go the whole way into town to get another bus or something?

GENIUS!!!!!!!!

genius.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Oh perfect, cos the Whitworth Road is ideal for buses! More of them please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It could all not happen as expected anyway. With a bit of luck it'll be raining heavily, deterring the free ticket holders from going. Many of the old dears who reserved tickets probably wont live till late August, being 1000 years old and all. And there have been thousands of protest tickets bought. It could end up less than 100,000 people actually going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

You... are... f*cking... JOKING!!!!!!

No, you're not. Oh my God. So, my sister is coming up and is staying in the hotel in Blanch 'cos, y'know, near (And my house is full). I told her: Excellent idea. You can get 39/39A into Ashtown roundabout.... So she has to go the whole way into town to get another bus or something?

The trains are running as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

P_1 wrote: »
    Why on earth is Talbot street being closed? That makes zero sense whatsoever

The word is that several locations have been selected for "strategic" placement of Gardaí and DFB vehicles for temporary out stations, Talbot Street is one of those areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

GM228 wrote: »
    The word is that several locations have been selected for "strategic" placement of Gardaí and DFB vehicles for temporary out stations, Talbot Street is one of those areas.

What's the nessecity to move Emergency vehicles? Surely emergency vehicles will be exempted from any traffic restrictions.

Advertisement