Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

New Home wrote: »
    485496.jpg
    There was no impact as such with the Tunguska event. The general consensus is that a meteorite or comet exploded a few miles above the ground in an airburst as internal stresses blew it apart with the force of an H bomb. It flattened something like 600 square miles of forest, leaving millions of trees flattened and pointing away from the epicentre(where the tress remained standing, but stripped of their branches and bark).

The area near twenty years later.
    xkh376v7-1372241498.jpg

The explosion could be heard thousands of miles away and the resulting earthquake was registered as far away as London as were the atmospheric changes. If that had come in only a few hours later or earlier and hit a populated area the loss of life would have been incredible. It would have utterly levelled a city the size of Paris for example and killed millions. Close call. And estimates put the size of the object at around 100 feet IIRC. There are much larger rocks still out there...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

^^^^ knowing this you should watch snow scorpions video

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056602222&page=527

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The game, 'TAG', stands for Touch and Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

py2006 wrote: »
    The game, 'TAG', stands for Touch and Go.

Sorry that's false.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tag-acronym-touch-and-go/

The word 'racecar' is a spelt the same backwards (a palindrome).

The longest palindrome is the Finnish word for soapstone vendor which is saippuakivikauppias.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

How many soapstone vendors are there in Finland?

cdeb wrote: »

I've lost count

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

cdeb wrote: »

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

mzungu wrote: »
    The unicorn is the national animal of Scotland.

I thought it was the Haggis?

485496.jpg

My facourite conspiracy theory is that Nicolas Tesla was responsible for Tunguska.

https://exemplore.com/paranormal/Nikola-Tesla-and-the-Invention-of-the-Death-Ray-Machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My facourite conspiracy theory is that Nicolas Tesla was responsible for Tunguska.

https://exemplore.com/paranormal/Nikola-Tesla-and-the-Invention-of-the-Death-Ray-Machine

The original photo is from Romania.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/688418/Missing-people-ghosts-crop-circles-World-s-most-haunting-holidays-hoia-baciu-chernobyl

Edit, actually the same photo appears for Tunguska a few times in searches. Could be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

It was a scottish comedian (forgot his name) who started the whole stingey scots thing as well. Amazing how these things take on a life of their own.
    A couple of my favourite Toibin Cavan jokes:
    Why do Cavan supporters save their sandwiches until after the match has finished... in case it's a draw.
    Cavan people emmigrate you know! Oh yes it's true, some of them have got as far as Monaghan :D

The thing about the main street in Cavan town is the longer it goes on, the mainer it gets!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I've lost count
    They are slippery .

The army was only 2 guys tho I think

And they gave them guns that couldn't shoot any distance

Emus used the amazing tactics of running away

I'd never heard of it so I just read the wiki article. there's some great quotes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
    The number of birds killed is uncertain: one account estimates that it was 50 birds,[6] but other accounts range from 200 to 500—the latter figure being provided by the settlers. Meredith's official report noted that his men had suffered no casualties

Summarising the culls, ornithologist Dominic Serventy commented:

The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month.
    After the withdrawal, Major Meredith compared the emus to Zulus and commented on the striking manoeuvrability of the emus, even while badly wounded.

If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world... They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop.[12]

Apparently the Dutch are adverse to debt. Had to spend a long weekend in Holland recently and no bar that we went to (and there was a few) would take VISA debit card. Luckily we had cash the first night and then had to take cash out.

I've never had a problem using my debit card there. that's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

The longest palindrome is the Finnish word for soapstone vendor which is saippuakivikauppias.

Same vein (bit sillier)

Square brackets laid out like '[] []' isn't a palindrome. Whereas '[] ][' is.

Drawing it out, and asking someone 'is this a palindrome' I reckon is like a real life 'I'm not a robot' checker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

'Detartrated' is in the Guinness book of records as the longest English palindrome.

I learned years ago that nylon was an acronym for New York and London.

However some sites via a googly woogly suggest that it is a myth. Sad, because I delight in displaying my wealth of knowledge to ya'll.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There was a TV series a few years ago that was set in both NY and Lon and it was called NY-Lon.

There was a TV series a few yeras ago which was set in both NY and Lon and was called NY-Lon.

Shut the front door...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Doesn't sound even slightly plausible to me. The word nylon sounds like a scientific term and since nylon is a synthetic material then the word has to be derived from scientific terminology.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Shut the front door...

I was only trying to cheer you up. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

AllForIt wrote: »
    Doesn't sound even slightly plausible to me. The word nylon sounds like a scientific term and since nylon is a synthetic material then the word has to be derived from scientific terminology.

Think that one is true.

Strontium is named after a place in Scotland (and technically the Banshee).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium

Doesn't sound even slightly plausible to me. .

Ah yes, but nobody asked you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The inventor himself said the nyl were just arbitrary with -on to finish like rayon.

nylon (n.)
    1938, coined, according to DuPont, from random generic syllable nyl- + -on, common ending in fiber names (compare rayon), said to be ultimately from cotton. Use (in plural) for "nylon stockings" is from 1940.

From Etymonline.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A man, a plan, a canal - Panama.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

From Etymonline.

DuPont invented it and didnt trademark it.

The didnt make that mistake with their next invention, and trademarked it, Teflon.

Edit, i think I've incorrectly used trademarked, should possibly be patented (without googling it)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

However some sites via a googly woogly suggest that it is a myth. Sad, because I delight in displaying my wealth of knowledge to ya'll.

Miwadi comes from MIneral WAter DIstributors which is the company that made it first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

In our current decade the Irish state repealed some laws (without a referendum and probably without anyone noticing), which is a big relief in many cases:

Since 2015 there is no reward anymore for capture or death of “arch traitor” Hugh O’Neill Earl of Tyrone, issued originally in 1601.
    (How much was it anyway?)

In 1665 an order was issued that the first Wednesday of every month is a day of fasting and penance in Ireland for the relief of the bubonic plague in London. That order was also expunged in 2015.
    (Phew... finally. Is the plague gone from London so?)

Also in 2015 a proclamation from 1817 that the consumption of potatoes and oatmeal should be kept for the “lower orders” has been expunged.
    (Now finally the “higher orders” can eat spuds and porridge openly and not in secret at night...)

Finally we are now allowed to criticise the marriage of Henry VIII and his second wife Ann Boleyn. Criticism of this marriage was prohibited in 1533 and a valid law until 2015.
    (Shame on him, the old lecher or whatever. There, I said it! :p)

Edit: I have to correct myself here: Above mentioned laws/orders were expunged in 2006, not in 2015. Not that it makes any difference. Sorry about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement