Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ to broadcast feature-length documentary on the life of Denis O'Brien

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

sdanseo wrote: »
    Doesn't mean his opinion that public services didn't function efficiently wasn't true.

Pity about the rest.

He's a criminal. We don't look to scum like that for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lowry still disputing the tribunal findings. What a country

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭delboythedub

And comments are not closed ¿??lost the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

1990's money you could buy 10 starter homes for that back then

That's what Lowry trousered

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not one red cent....

This is comical, if I didn't know better I'd say he was going to run for President.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Lowry not coming out well here. +5 boost in Tipp.

I won't be at all surprised if legal action follows this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I am surprised he didn't get an injunction to prevent it airing.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Seems to be mainly just re-reporting what has been said before.

They're not making new allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I take my reservations about the show back

Not the ones about RTÉ in general but at least it developed into more of a Prime Time Investigates than I expected it to

Probably the single worst conclusion from this though is the fact that none of the things about Lowry are surprising yet he remains a TD elected most recently on the first count. Says a lot about the Irish electorate and our small minded political ideaology. He fixed the local problem and continues to be enabled and supported because the good at local level is seen to be better than the bad. It's people who vote for pricks like that who keep parts of our society - most notably planning and housing - in the dark ages.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    He's a criminal. We don't look to scum like that for guidance.

Nor would we.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

How did Lowry never go to prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Have to say the show is scathing of these crooks, and really showing how complicit FG are in their support of DOB.

At every turn DOB has behaved in a cynical manner for self-preservation, PR stunts, legal action and outright obstruction at every turn.. aided by INM and the ruling party of these state.

Denis operates like the mafia. The day he and Lowry are brought down along with those complicit in helping him.. the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

sdanseo wrote: »
    I take my reservations about the show back

Not the ones about RTÉ in general but at least it developed into more of a Prime Time Investigates than I expected it to

Probably the single worst conclusion from this though is the fact that none of the things about Lowry are surprising yet he remains a TD elected most recently on the first count. Says a lot about the Irish electorate and our small minded political ideaology. He fixed the local problem and continues to be enabled and supported because the good at local level is seen to be better than the bad. It's people who vote for pricks like that who keep parts of our society - most notably planning and housing - in the dark ages.

As I said, this notion that RTÉ and the media is owned and run by denis o brien and Leo or whatever is just pure conspiracy nonsense peddled out by the opposition.

Fake news.

Seems to be mainly just re-reporting what has been said before.

They're not making new allegations.

True, but I can't imagine him being very happy at all this being aired again.

I'm still not sure what the purpose of this show is.

How did Lowry never go to prison?

Thought he did a couple of very short stints?

Anglo Irish Bank got me going.... on your epitaph.

Denis, a menace on society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Huge amount of jealousy coming across from some people being interviewed.

Bolt and Denis, would be a great Tv show.

Dividends that Denis has taken from Digicel 1.1b
    Debts of Digicel - 6.6 b

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Huge amount of jealousy coming across from some people being interviewed.

Yeh, wish I could become wealthy by a bit of quick bribery instead of hard work and get away with it all scot free.

• Advertisement

Dividends that Denis has taken from Digicel 1.1b
    Debts of Digicel - 6.6 b

Was the latter not its' value and the debt was 2/3 of it?

Was the latter not its' value and the debt was 2/3 of it?

Pretty sure that 6.6 B is it’s debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

There's nothing really new here. It has always been known that Buckley was behind the media takeover.

**** off Lowry.

**** off Lowry.

.. And Bill

Thank you, Denis O'Brien. The only person to bring His Majesty Lord O'Reilly and all his anti-democratic sycophants in journalism down after controlling the Irish media for some 40 years. And lovely the way he refused to sack Anne Harris from the Sunday Independent because he'd then have to pay her compensation. Classy revenge right there.

Long may he sue every one of the sycophants in the Irish media who cross him. They've all been doing the bidding of O'Reilly's business interests by ganging up on everybody else - including O'Brien - for decades. "Free press" indeed.

When they're all taken down, I look forward to O'Brien being brought down. He's doing great so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As I said, this notion that RTÉ and the media is owned and run by denis o brien and Leo or whatever is just pure conspiracy nonsense peddled out by the opposition.

Fake news.

The media in general aren't. But RTÉ are uniquely abysmal at taking politicians to task unless a particular presenter (i.e. Tubridy) gets a bee in his bonnet because of a personal link. There are of course the odd exceptions (Claire Byrne and yer wan who presents the week in politics at least appear to give being the tough guy ago before they give up).

I don't believe RTÉ are corrupt bit I do think that look, the community is small, they all know each other, RTÉ don't want to rock any boats more than they have to be to give the impression that they are earning a wage. A higher proportion of the indy journalists of the more modern variety are in it for the principle rather than the cash (and that's not saying much because the general standard of journalism in the more anti establishment media is equally shíte). My comment was that they are a useless waste of money on the whole, and that they often appear not to be unbiased. I don't think they are on anyone's payroll - other than yours and mine of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

About as much new information in that as in a Bertie Bank Account...

Waste of money, unless its just a foundation episode and parts 2, 3 and 4 give us the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Denis won't be happy seeing all this together. Its nice to get a refresher as us Irish tend to forget too easily . Denis has managed to stay controversial for almost three decades . That is a feat in itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I have to say I was struck by the similarities between his modus operandi and that of Donald J Trump..

Mebbe when Micky D goes for Pres V2, Denis BigHead ought to throw his very big hat into the ring??

Advertisement