Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New VHS Rental store in Liverpool

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Actually reading the article, he has vintage gaming and coffee to sell as well and if the VHS novelty brings in punters for that, then he might be ok.

It sounds like he's doing the gaming & coffee for members, as well as the private screenings. If he's been smart about it he's already done the legwork to confirm that there is an audience for this kind of thing. It's hard to imagine it working as more than a niche audience thing, but maybe it doesn't need to go beyond that to be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,313 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He might attract a few hipsters for a few months....but can't see them staying.

Who really wants to play Manic Miner these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A unique idea but can't see it taking off tbh. Streaming services are the future now. Even though renting a movie at the weekend might spark some nostalgia I don't know if that can compare to modern technology.

Thats the whole idea, its not meant to compare to modern technology, its an antidote to the modern, digital world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Fysh wrote: »
    There are no companies manufacturing VHS players any more - IIRC the last one shut down production 7 years ago or so. Which means the shop is relying on keeping an existing set of players working. (Charity shops still get a regular influx of VHS tapes and occasionally players, which more often than not they don't want as few people want them or will buy them).

I can sort of see the interest if they have a significant stock of good-condition VHS tapes of films that haven't had subsequent DVD/bluray/digital releases. But I still think an archiving project converting those films to DVD would be more useful, personally.

As for the connectivity issue, it's not that hard - plenty of TVs still have composite or SCART inputs, and I've seen a few combo VHS/DVD player units that actually have HDMI output. Whether the upscaling is any good I couldn't say...

Last VCR manufacturer shut down two years ago - https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/last-vhs-manufacture-funai-to-halt-production/

Between 1986 and 2006, I recorded anything that looked remotely interesting so have a amassed a large collection of tapes that I still watch. Didn't buy too many films or television series on VHS due to the poor value for money (£20 for two episodes of The Prisoner in the early 1990s) but have hung on the likes of Only Fools And Horses (fewer cuts than the DVD releases), Steptoe and Son Christmas specials (uncut - unlike the DVD which used the UK Gold broadcast print) and other films that I haven't got round to buying on DVD/BD yet.

Can't see this venture lasting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

NIMAN wrote: »
    He might attract a few hipsters for a few months....but can't see them staying.

Can't understand the hatred of Hipsters on here, young, liberal people doing harmless things, I reserve my ire for racists, homophobes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Can't understand the hatred of Hipsters on here, young, liberal people doing harmless things, I reserve my ire for racists, homophobes etc.

Thankfully, I have bucket loads of ire to go around, so plenty left over for hipsters and cyclists after the racists, killers and homophobes get their allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,313 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't hate hipsters per se, just pointing out that they are the kind of customers this guy is going to get for the 1st few months. People who want to be seen to be doing the trendy thing, the wacky thing, even though its a bit crap.

They'll be sitting there in their silly beards with their skinny jeans and no socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I can promise you the owners have beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

Betamax is coming back, you heard it here first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So have we finally hit peak nostalgia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

pixelburp wrote: »
    So have we finally hit peak nostalgia?

No, nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

ps4-shut-up-and-take-my-money-memes-369549.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,880 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Reminds me of this movie.
    Good little movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I think we have reached peak hipster......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I still have several VHS players, the head cleaning tapes and bottles of liquid but the the VHS era belongs in a museum. I had a machine for the kids growing up when you could get a shed load of tapes for a few Euros. Streaming, Netflix, YouTube is the future and DVDs in the charity shops are now the price that VHS tapes were a few years ago and there's precious few buyers even for them.

I still have quite a collection of videos that never made it to DVD including this epic which doesn't appear to have even had an English language VHS release despite being filmed in Ireland. :D

fatal-inheritance-german-vhs-cover-copy.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

From the report:

Andy Johnson amassed a huge number of VHS tapes from his own time working in a rental shop, and it is this collection which forms the basis of his new venture, called VideOdyssey.

Hope the shop owner doesn't find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Betamax is coming back, you heard it here first.

Would have given the idea more kudos had it been a Betamax venture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aside from anything else, won't the quality of these older VHS tapes be even more atrocious than normal, given how poorly magnetic tape degrades over time? Half the stock would surely be unwatchable for whoever is foolish enough to rent these tapes...

It's probably out of business already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Good luck trying to connect a video player to any modern tv.

Euro scart or whatever it was called is still on mine, think I remember connecting it between VHS player and TV back in the day.

Resolution, not sure how those HD deal with signal now...

Good old memories, but no, I don't want it back. I can barely stand SD channels these days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I can promise you the owners have beards.

Correct

36456974_10160716685765089_9105079072630767616_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c5281410d1127910e71a96db683d4d69&oe=5BAE8F28

Why would you want to go from a Crystal clear picture back to a ****e one.

Because Analog can be a lot more interesting then digital sometimes. It catches different colors and tones, and its a different experience having something on film then digital. Its why the likes of The Hateful Eight was shot on film.
    As with Vinyl records you can hear the impurities of the recording which often add instead of taking away from the artistic experience. Having everything perfectly manicured through a digital format is not always the ultimate experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The one good thing of VHS. Skipping the piracy warning and commercial.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Because Analog can be a lot more interesting then digital sometimes. It catches different colors and tones, and its a different experience having something on film then digital. Its why the likes of The Hateful Eight was shot on film.
    As with Vinyl records you can hear the impurities of the recording which often add instead of taking away from the artistic experience. Having everything perfectly manicured through a digital format is not always the ultimate experience.

That's hipster talk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

NIMAN wrote: »

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/94

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Would have given the idea more kudos had it been a Betamax venture.

We backed that horse back then. Picture quality and form factor far superior.
    Trip to QQQ video. "Do you have this film in Betamax?"
    No
    "How about this one?"
    No
    "Do you think you'll be getting this one in Betamax when it's released?"
    No

At school.
    Yeah I saw that video nasty on a pirate video, I'll lend you it.
    "Do you have a Betamax copy?"
    *laughter* Loser, no.

At home.
    "Dad, can we get a VHS player, QQQ video isn't stocking Betamax tapes any more"
    No

/too boring didn't read. Betamax scarred me for life, now let us never speak of it again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

To replicate the VHS experience just watch any movie that TV3 show... the horribly low-res compressed image will bring those childhood memories back

That's hipster talk.

Better dumb myself down a bit so to avoid that tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Why would you want to go from a Crystal clear picture back to a ****e one.

This will obviously flop as an idea but I never got the crystal clear picture thing. Low-res is horrible but I think a happy medium exists. I remember watching some fantasy thing. I forget the name now. It was in that crystal clear, high definition, ultra-realistic, reach out and touch it stuff. It completely broke any spell of being able to drift into a fantasy reality. It looked too real and I remember watching as a group of some wizards and the like climbed a mountain and just laughing as my brain registered it as just a bunch of men dressed up in costumes having a laugh. People who have used virtual reality have all been saying something similar. In the more cartoon stuff, it is easier for your brain to play along and get lost in the world. The tipping point for the VR stuff is when your brain can't tell the difference between this reality and the one you slip into.

• Advertisement

Also nearly every film was forced to zoom in to 5:4 ratio when transferred to video.

It was absolutely not good in any way.

Advertisement