Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfreight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's riddiculously slow. Why can't freight go as fast as passenger traffic it can on the continent.

Freight tends to weigh a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

davidlacey wrote: »
    I just think today's development is ridiculous, totally avoidable and just another shambles in this country which is pro road and pro haulier.

No imagination or get-up-and-go in IE, just waiting for the day the pension rolls in.

Govt is very laissez faire esp. the current lot, plenty photo opps when the new stretch of motorway or by-pass is built though. Pats on the back all around.

The public seem to be more interested in making greenways out of everything, regardless of suitability.

The Irish Road Hauliers Assoc have got far too much clout. Likewise SIMI and the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's riddiculously slow. Why can't freight go as fast as passenger traffic it can on the continent.

We are in the age of Health and safety OCD

No imagination or get-up-and-go in IE, just waiting for the day the pension rolls in.

Govt is very laissez faire esp. the current lot, plenty photo opps when the new stretch of motorway or by-pass is built though. Pats on the back all around.

The public seem to be more interested in making greenways out of everything, regardless of suitability.

The Irish Road Hauliers Assoc have got far too much clout. Likewise SIMI and the AA.

100% agree and I hate being the pessimist when I reply to people's comments on the facebook group but there is no going back for Irish railfreight. What happens when Tara mines dries up? Bit of timber and some containers by IWT. Token freight if I'm honest. It's laughable when IE release statements say that freight tonnage is up when railfreight accounts for 1% or less of total tonnage carried in Ireland per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

tabbey wrote: »
    I hope not but they did not wait long before closing the freight yard at North Esk, Cork.
    Belview Port will still see an occasional train, Waterford Port to Portlaoise ''steel'' train, (imported rails) runs a few times a year, trains run for a few weeks at a time, the empty usually exPortlaoise on Fridays, returning exBelview Port laden steel to Portlaoise on Saturdays, a few trains ran in January and February, the next consignment possibly in a couple of months over the winter or maybe sooner as required.
    Regards
    hg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

It was officially announced by DFDS that their container train between Ballina and Waterford's Belview Port is to cease running from Tuesday 5th June 2018. The press releases stated today (29th May) is the last train, but a Waterford to Ballina is scheduled to operate on the 30th May and the final train from Ballina to Waterford on the 5th June 2018.

The penultimate train from Ballina, the 1105 Ballina - Waterford is pictured crossing the Commons Bridge at Portarlington with 081 in charge of a fully loaded train.

Click the image bellow to see the full sized image.

DSC_9057-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

What was the official reason given for the withdrawal?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

What was the official reason given for the withdrawal?

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0528/966660-waterford-port/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

What current BULK road traffic could easily be transferred to rail.

Is there any hope to Cement ect return.

Do IE compete for business. Do the port companies push rail over road.

With the economy growning could IE take a risk and introduce their own service starting with a Dublin - Cork flow. They might not appeal to companies shipping 1 container but surely they could offer good competition were 3 or more need to be shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Dublin and Cork both have their own container ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very annoying

Isambard wrote: »
    Dublin and Cork both have their own container ports.

I dont get your point.

There was at least 2 or 3 flows a day eachway in the 2000s.

IE 222 wrote: »
    I dont get your point.

There was at least 2 or 3 flows a day eachway in the 2000s.

Pre national road upgrades though!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are very few domestic flows anymore. Passenger traffic is no indication of freight traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hopefully DFDS can resume in future again. IWT is also down capacity wise from its peak. Both are more less fighting for the same traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Hopefully DFDS can resume in future again. IWT is also down capacity wise from its peak. Both are more less fighting for the same traffic.

DFDS resumption is unlikely.

IWTs are generally full, loadings change from time to time, it's a seasonal thing. But I can't see how they are down capacity wise from their peak?

IWTs will be increasing to 24 wagon lengths later this year.

GM228 wrote: »
    DFDS resumption is unlikely.

IWTs are generally full, loadings change from time to time, it's a seasonal thing. But I can't see how they are down capacity wise from their peak?

IWTs will be increasing to 24 wagon lengths later this year.

It was operating more than daily a summer or two ago. I don't think it was that busy in 2017 (freq) and probally not this year either. Loads are good overall.

It was operating more than daily a summer or two ago.

And still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Where does IWT run to and from?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Where does IWT run to and from?

Dublin Port to Ballina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

It was operating more than daily a summer or two ago. I don't think it was that busy in 2017 (freq) and probally not this year either. Loads are good overall.

Can I ask what the basis for this is I.e what are you basing this comment on?

GM228 wrote: »
    And still is.

Admittedly I didn't track it as often as I would have liked but was 2017 schedules the same as 2016. It just seems a little quieter.
    Can I ask what the basis for this is I.e what are you basing this comment on?

Which part freq or loads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Wednesday 30th May 2018:

The final update for May features the final Waterford to Ballina DFDS Liner at Kildare with 083 and at Hybla with 079. 079 took over from 083 at Kildare. The freight flow has ceased due to traffic levels on the route being too low for DFDS to sustain.

Click http://goo.gl/xAAb1p to see the pictures of the Liner plus the passenger traffic passing Kildare at this time.

DSC_0014-S.jpg

Admittedly I didn't track it as often as I would have liked but was 2017 schedules the same as 2016. It just seems a little quieter.

Overall there were more IWTs in 2017 than 2016, it has grown year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

I see, cause you were way off the mark.. 2016 was prob one of the lowest years in terms of trains, as we applied lean engineering(learnt from my time in IE ironically) to the train ops.. 2017 was busier, particularly Q3 and Q4 as we were up to 10 trains a week to handle the extra business arising from Hurricane damage to the Coca-Cola plant in Puerto Rico.. That business finished at the end of 2017..

So far 2018 has been the busiest year in my time with IWT, we’re up 1 train a week on normal 2017 ops(to 6/7/8 a week), with a 2nd likely as more business moves to the Ballina plant(7/8 per week)..

Also, load factor Dublin to Ballina is 99.5% since mid 2016.. which is the leg that matters

The longer trains can’t come soon enough

I see, cause you were way off the mark.. 2016 was prob one of the lowest years in terms of trains, as we applied lean engineering(learnt from my time in IE ironically) to the train ops.. 2017 was busier, particularly Q3 and Q4 as we were up to 10 trains a week to handle the extra business arising from Hurricane damage to the Coca-Cola plant in Puerto Rico.. That business finished at the end of 2017..

So far 2018 has been the busiest year in my time with IWT, we’re up 1 train a week on normal 2017 ops(to 6/7/8 a week), with a 2nd likely as more business moves to the Ballina plant(7/8 per week)..

Also, load factor Dublin to Ballina is 99.5% since mid 2016.. which is the leg that matters

The longer trains can’t come soon enough

Knew loads were very high, I guess it was the plant damage and subsequent drop in freq after which make me think it has been reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Wednesday 30th May 2018:

The final update for May features the final Waterford to Ballina DFDS Liner at Kildare with 083 and at Hybla with 079. 079 took over from 083 at Kildare. The freight flow has ceased due to traffic levels on the route being too low for DFDS to sustain.

Click http://goo.gl/xAAb1p to see the pictures of the Liner plus the passenger traffic passing Kildare at this time.

DSC_0014-S.jpg

Am I right in thinking that the overbridge at Hybla is the private access to Hybla House?
    All other roads between Cherryville and Monasterevan seem to be underbridges or level crossings.

Has the closure of the Carlow coke plant increased production in Ballina. Is IWT seen a increase in volume from this.

Is any of the Waterford traffic likely to change to IWT via Dublin.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/0614/970482-maritime-links/

Could this bring some rail frieght back. Would the EU insist on rail been utilised more if given a major investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

wouldn't they just ship goods into the port of the City where they consigned to?

Advertisement