Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 200 enough of a wedding present from a couple?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

When we got married a few years ago we had about 40 people at the wedding and made it clear on the invites that the only gift we wanted was for them to turn up and enjoy the day. You would be amazed how many people still gave us something, it was lovely but a few weeks later we did ask why they felt the need to give something and the general answer was that they did not want to be the one person who did not have a gift on the day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If it's €100 a head then a lot of people have been thinking we're very stingy.. That's more for close family. Anyone else got less from us. It's expensive enough already with accommodation, transportation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I like to pay my way and give a bit extra, 200 for regular hotel venue. I'd give 300 if a posher venue, just because I know it costs more. Each to their own that's just my rule for me.

Got 2 invites same month last year. Both nephews. One stipulated that the only present necessary was our presence. The other asked for money! I can’t remember the exact wording as it went in the shredder immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

screamer wrote: »
    I like to pay my way and give a bit extra, 200 for regular hotel venue. I'd give 300 if a posher venue, just because I know it costs more. Each to their own that's just my rule for me.

I don't care where they book they get the same gift. A posh venue is their own choice so I ain't subsidising it. But like you say, each to their own!

In my experience, nobody gave us toasters/kettles/etc - the gifts given were well thought out and we liked some of them more than the card + cash. At least we will look back in 50 years and say "that person gave us that".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Got 2 invites same month last year. Both nephews. One stipulated that the only present necessary was our presence. The other asked for money! I can’t remember the exact wording as it went in the shredder immediately.

So give one money and not the other (or don't go), just not in the order requested. ;)

Billy86 wrote: »
    So give one money and not the other (or don't go), just not in the order requested. ;)

Would do the same. Cheeky little b*****x to say he only wanted money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

When we got married a few years ago we had about 40 people at the wedding and made it clear on the invites that the only gift we wanted was for them to turn up and enjoy the day. You would be amazed how many people still gave us something, it was lovely but a few weeks later we did ask why they felt the need to give something and the general answer was that they did not want to be the one person who did not have a gift on the day.

Yeah, there’s a lot of social pressure behind the whole wedding gift thing. Actually, there’s a lot of social pressure around weddings in general. The amount of fretting seen in the wedding forum down the years demonstrates this.

screamer wrote: »

Do you have this thought process when it comes to other things?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

8 of her relatives all clubbed together to buy us a BBQ for our wedding some years back after all attending the full wedding. I was expecting this fancy one stead of that we got a e50 job from Woodies between the lot of them

Personally e150-200 max for a couple though the last few weddings, not close family, we have been invited to we had to decline as couldn't justify the expense of the entire day

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Getting a wedding invitation is like getting a summons.

Actually a summons is probably cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

aoh wrote: »
    It's been a while since I was at a wedding but €200??? FFS. I think I gave them a mirror :-)

You need to take a good look at yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

awec wrote: »
    Getting a wedding invitation is like getting a summons.

Actually a summons is probably cheaper.

Especially if it is down the country.
    We have one next month and it is 2 nights in the hotel and that alone is costing €306 before we do anything else. The wife has already bought the dress, the shoes & the bag. I'll be lucky to have new jocks and socks for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stephenr92

I'm getting married in 2 weeks and I wouldn't expect any amount it's the thought that counts in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I'll never pay more than £100 max. I'm thankfully not acquainted with anyone who would throw a wedding to make a profit, and if anyone was upset at me and the gf giving £100 they can toddle along.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭deletthis

8 of her relatives all clubbed together to buy us a BBQ for our wedding some years back after all attending the full wedding. I was expecting this fancy one stead of that we got a e50 job from Woodies between the lot of them

That's the other end of the scale right there, tight b*st*rds. If you're gona spend €7 each, I'd rather ye bought me a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I have read the most of this thread and i feel that people are looking at the extreme cases, most couples getting married are just doing the normal thing and as someone who got married a few years ago I found that you can please everyone.

As for the earlier poster who gives a mirrors and photo frames if your not married yourself and plan on being in the future I hope you have plenty of space on your walls as you'll be getting plenty of these items back.

Generally there are 3 groups in wedding

1. Family and close friends, if your in this category 99% of people have absolutely no issue giving a cash gift as they know the financial pressure the wedding is putting on the couple. As said before the amount is very much dependent on what you can afford. A couple however would most likely prefer to see 100% of this group attending irrespective of presents.

2. Extended friends and family, this group are where some view an invitation as a fine, however if not invited they would be insulted in most instances. if seen as a fine im sure most couples would be fine with you refusing the invitation.

3. Neighbors and Parents Friends Etc, if your not in the other two categories your in this one, this should be the smallest group in a wedding, your being invited because they have to, most couples would be fine with you refusing the invitation. However that said, if the wedding is massive and group 3 is also massive, then most likely they are using the thing as a profit making venture.

A lot of people are referring to ridiculously lavish weddings etc however in my experience most couples don't do this, the lavishness is the minority. Guests at a wedding, particularly in Ireland, expect a certain number of things, like a meal, band, wine etc, this all costs money. The very guests who consider parts of a wedding lavish would be the first to complain if they arrived to the wedding with the groom in a t shirt and jeans and the bride in a top and mini skirt with a few plates of sandwiches to feed people, they would be branded a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

JimmyMW wrote: »
    A lot of people are referring to ridiculously lavish weddings etc however in my experience most couples don't do this, the lavishness is the minority. Guests at a wedding, particularly in Ireland, expect a certain number of things, like a meal, band, wine etc, this all costs money. The very guests who consider parts of a wedding lavish would be the first to complain if they arrived to the wedding with the groom in a t shirt and jeans and the bride in a top and mini skirt with a few plates of sandwiches to feed people, they would be branded a disgrace.
    That sounds good to me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Guests at a wedding, particularly in Ireland, expect a certain number of things, like a meal, band, wine etc, this all costs money. The very guests who consider parts of a wedding lavish would be the first to complain if they arrived to the wedding with the groom in a t shirt and jeans and the bride in a top and mini skirt with a few plates of sandwiches to feed people, they would be branded a disgrace.

So wait, a couple should invite friends and family to the event which includes a meal, band and wine... then expect the guests to pay for those things?

Isn't that the same as getting invited to a birthday party and then expecting to have the guests pay for a portion of the cake?

If a couple want a wedding then great! But no one else should be financing this except the couple choosing to hold the event.

hightower1 wrote: »
    So wait, a couple should invite friends and family to the event which includes a meal, band and wine... then expect the guests to pay for those things?.

Contribute towards it Yes
    Isn't that the same as getting invited to a birthday party and then expecting to have the guests pay for a portion of the cake?

You bring an appropriate gift to a birthday party don't you? Using your birthday party example, what Im saying is its like coming to a birthday party with one lego brick rather than a small lego set or similar
    If a couple want a wedding then great! But no one else should be financing this except the couple choosing to hold the event.

Again back to what I said earlier, people will get insulted that they were not invited, an example, friend of mine recently got married, his wife is American. They got married in America as they live here and felt it would be nice for her family if the wedding was there as they will spend the rest of their lives traveling to Ireland to see them. None of his family went not even his parents and everyone was happy with that, his aunt was highly insulted she was not invited! Most people are just trying to go down the path of least resistance.

• Advertisement

So wait, a couple should invite friends and family to the event which includes a meal, band and wine... then expect the guests to pay for those things?

Also just to add to that, if your not happy with that as its the expected run of things in Ireland, then stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Also just to add to that, if your not happy with that as its the expected run of things in Ireland, then stay at home.

Expected by whom ? We have a family wedding coming up and the couple expect nothing but a good day had by all
    Not all weddings are the same , not all couples are the same

I wonder how much Harry and Meg made out of their wedding?

I wonder how much Harry and Meg made out of their wedding?

You wouldn't be throwing 200 euro in a card there I'd say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Same here .

At our wedding we specifically said that we didn't need / want gifts or cash .

We had friends and family coming from the UK and Scandinavia as well as here and didn't want to add to anybody's expense ( practically everyone stayed in the hotel )

Some of our friends volunteered to make the cake / place settings /and do the flowers ( florist in the family ) and other bits and pieces ( which all turned out great )

We still ended up with plenty of cash gifts though .

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Wow, to me €200 per couple is a huge amount of money. I would have said €100-€150 was generous. You're spending so much money on hotels, drinks, possibly hen/stag parties, petrol etc. It's not just the gift. Anyone expecting €200 or more has to be having a laugh.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Expected by whom ? We have a family wedding coming up and the couple expect nothing but a good day had by all
    Not all weddings are the same , not all couples are the same

Probably just as well, I hope you have a good day anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Probably just as well, I hope you have a good day anyway :D

Believe me we will , its all about family fir us !

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Believe me we will , its all about family fir us !

Well go with your hands hanging and see how well your received by the couple in the next 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Got married a few years ago loads of envelopes flying around like the scene in Goodfellas but our favourite gift was a handmade embroidered framed message that one of her mates who hadn't a pot to p1ss in gave us easy to put cash in an envelopebut that took time and it meant a lot

I know what you mean, but I would like to think people appreciate a gift of hard earned cash too.

Advertisement