Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanlons Corner the Pub

Options
  • 09-03-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if it will be reopening closed a while now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chinwag

Didn't know it was closed but came across this notice

http://www.hanlons.ie/

so keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No loss if it stays shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

anncoates wrote: »
    No loss if it stays shut.

Very true. A nightmare for the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Might be better with new owners

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

I see it's been repainted at the moment

I heard a rumour at the weekend that Wetherspoon's have bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭trellheim

yep she's in white now - saw lights inside there last week
    persistent rumour of wetherspoons was denied by the EA.

Hope to fk it moves upmarket, the last few weeks were very sad indeed ; best thing would be for L Mulligan type operation or Chop House

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thank god for the new paint. I'm presuming the old owners painted it that awful yellow in an attempt to make it less desirable to buyers from the bank?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

It used to be a great little spot 12/13 years ago.

The owners sold and bought the Front Lounge, went rapidly downhill after that.

Hopefully, the new owners will do something with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

John Mason wrote: »

Exactly. The worst thing they ever did about 10 years ago was modernize the interior. Out went the classic rustic pub to be replaced by a modern drab social club.

This alone pushed alot of the regulars to The Homestead, Doyle's etc... If you ever walked past the place at night the place would be empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I worked on the door of that kip for a bit. Downstairs was mostly a grand crowd, but upstairs was like 'Animal Farm.. Without doubt, and I've repeated this so many times in over twenty years working the doors of pubs & clubs this was the worst kip I've ever worked.

No loss if it never opened again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I worked on the door of that kip for a bit. Downstairs was mostly a grand crowd, but upstairs was like 'Animal Farm.. Without doubt, and I've repeated this so many times in over twenty years working the doors of pubs & clubs this was the worst kip I've ever worked.

No loss if it never opened again.

The locals still talk about you and how good you were, "never a fairer guy on a door would you meet", always treated people with both respect and also how they deserved if they were fooking around,

no nightclub, music, or TV and whack the pints up to 6 euro, put on some craft beer , and serve great food. That should sort the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

trellheim wrote: »
    no nightclub, music, or TV and whack the pints up to 6 euro, put on some craft beer , and serve great food. That should sort the place.

And what...get a load of soya bean eating, beard trimming hipsters. It may be a kip but it's their kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Whoever developed that menu should be barred from a kitchen for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

John Mason wrote: »

I remember going there around late 90s (or at least whatever pub was there) and it always seemed fine.

Went in recently though, before it closed, and it seemed very dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The locals still talk about you and how good you were, "never a fairer guy on a door would you meet", always treated people with both respect and also how they deserved if they were fooking around,

If the locals who drank upstairs when I was there could say anything I suspect it would read like this "n8r a f8er goy on de dor wud u meat, aways treded ppl wid bot rspkt an alsew how day desved if dey wer fukg ard".

Passed it today.. Its looking good I have to say, is that another new club upstairs 'Liquid'?.. Hope the builders covered up the poc marked bullet holes from the last shooting on the Old Cabra Road door.

On the up side, with the new DIT campus opening it should do a decent trade at least during the college terms.

Outside of that I suspect it'll be pistols at dawn again.

Liquid was the name of the upstairs club for a while now.

And as for the comments above it is fking awful to see your local descend into Tatooine "a worse pit of scum and villainy you will never see"

plenty of people with money around there , look at L Mulligan jammed all the time, and the hole in the wall - although a mile or two up the road . Anything farther up like Faussaugh House etc gets a fairly world-wise clientele

Grangegorman is interesting. The campus is designed to face the other way - i.e. towards broadstone , and the Grange pub in lower Grangegorman is still shut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Looks like some work going on in Hanlons.
    It has a new name "as gaeilge" translating to Market House.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did Weatherspoons buy it in the end or some other operator?

Looks like a guy from Pierce st took it over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Back opened there recently, some Irish name on the signs outside.

Was in over the weekend. Reopened as Hanlons /Teach an Margaid . No real change inside. just took the lease on. SIGH. What a fking waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

any food yet?

Plasma on Draught is only €3.50 a pint

Closed when I passed on Saturday and Sunday (all day) - gone again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Danye

Closed when I passed on Saturday and Sunday (all day) - gone again?

Apparently the lease is up. Finished up Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

wonder will the likes of bodytonic or MVP take this over with the students coming in droves sooner rather than later. Doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭septictank

Publican I know is in the process of trying to buy Hanlons. They have a few other places and would make a good go of it if they get it.

septictank wrote: »
    Publican I know is in the process of trying to buy Hanlons. They have a few other places and would make a good go of it if they get it.
    Tell him to do his due diligence on it or get a proper survey

• Advertisement

Being repainted at present - presuming it will be reopening soon.

Advertisement