Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorists intentionally spraying cyclists with windscreen washer

Options
  • 03-06-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else come across this phenomenon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How would you do that? Windscreen washers are generally directed at the windscreen :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you turn on the wipers it will spray the washer to either side..

They could be just oblivious to its effects on those nearby whether in a bike, on foot or in another car.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How would you do that? Windscreen washers are generally directed at the windscreen :confused:

They frequently spray out wider than the windscreen. Stand at your driver door while a friend operates the stalk and you'll probably see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Good old boards :) nobody addressing the actual question I asked haha xD instead let's have a debate about whether it's possible or not... I don't know why I bother any more xD

You're a gas crowd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you turn on the wipers it will spray the washer to either side..
    boombang wrote: »
    They frequently spray out wider than the windscreen.

In fairness, I wouldn't call either of those "intentionally spraying cyclists with windscreen washer" as per the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ive often had my windscreen 'washed' by the 'thoughtful' car in front so i can imagine a cyclist could be sprayed if a cars wipers werent set properly.
    I couldnt imagine anyone being petty enough to do it on purpose but then again....

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pompous wrote: »
    Good old boards :) nobody addressing the actual question I asked haha xD instead let's have a debate about whether it's possible or not... I don't know why I bother any more xD

You're a gas crowd :)

By process of elimination, that's data which should probably tell you that they haven't experienced it and are dubious as to whether it's a phenomenon.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Stick a pin in the passenger side washer jet and you can move it so it sprays to the left of the car.

So yes, it is possible and yes, I've come across it before. But not sure if it was done intentionally. I suspect once a driver realises that the washer jet is pointing towards the left, they spray a cyclist as a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

State of some of these fair-weather bikes clogging up the streets.

They need a power hose, not a windscreen washer.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I wouldn't call either of those "intentionally spraying cyclists with windscreen washer" as per the OP.

Yes, but given that spray will catch a cyclist adjacent to the car, clearly a driver could intentionally spray somebody. This was all fairly clear to me from the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You can adjust the windscreen washer jets direction with a pin. They're often misaligned, doubt if it's on purpose.

But I did come across a few youngfellas in dads car spraying cyclists (mainly kids) with a water pistol last summer. I caught up with them and told them that spraying minors with an unidentified liquid might not be a good idea. There was a dawning of realisation on their faces and they stopped.

Then some dude (previous water pistol victim I assume) rocked up on his road bike in between me and the lads and emptied/sprayed the content of his water bottle all over them, front and back, the dash, the radio, the statnav, and the expensive upholstery. Didn't even unclip...

Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pompous wrote:
    Has anyone else come across this phenomenon?

I think you might be taking the whole "cyclist is always the victim" mantra a bit far on this one.

I spray my windscreen whenever it's needed. I think even if I tried my hardest I couldn't time it well enough to hit a cyclist.

If it genuinely happens then shame on the drivers for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've heard about this happening, but only had it (possibly) happen to me once.

I remember one time a car had to stay behind me for a while going round a long bend, and as soon as it could go past me, on came the windscreen spray. It is impossible to know why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

Haven't seen it in a while, but I used to see cars whose washers were so misaligned that they would shoot over the roof and would land on whatever was behind. If that happened to be a bike, then you can imagine they would be p!ssed off, but I still wouldn't think it's deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,962 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

osarusan wrote: »
    ...I remember one time a car had to stay behind me for a while going round a long bend, and as soon as it could go past me, on came the windscreen spray. It is impossible to know why though.
    How is it "impossible to know why"?

Most likely that the long bend you described led the car in the direction of a low sun which would highlight dirt on the windscreen so the driver simply decided to use their windscreen washer. No conspiracy theory there.

Well folks, believe it or not, some people do do this on purpose. I understand your doubt... That cyclists tend to play the victim and overreact etc etc...

But today I was passing the airport and one of those enterprise van drivers came up along side me, sprayed me several times, and then took off.

When I chased him to his location and asked him why, he said because I was cycling on the bus lane instead of the cycle lane.

I have this all on camera but can't post it here, but it's proof he did it intentionally.

I didn't get mad, not even upset. The man driving that van is just frustrated with cyclists who are not using the cycle lane and has decided to start spraying them with windscreen washer. Yes, I could taste the chemicals. No, he didn't show any remorse for his actions.

To the people who find this behaviour hard to believe, I say try cycling in Dublin a little more often. Pigeons get more respect.

And finally, I would like to add, that if you know the stretch of road I'm talking about that passes the airport southbound, you know very well why I was not using the 'cycle lane'.

Pompous out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Well folks, believe it or not, some people do do this on purpose. I understand your doubt... That cyclists tend to play the victim and overreact etc etc...

But today I was passing the airport and one of those enterprise van drivers came up along side me, sprayed me several times, and then took off.

When I chased him to his location and asked him why, he said because I was cycling on the bus lane instead of the cycle lane.

I have this all on camera but can't post it here, but it's proof he did it intentionally.

I didn't get mad, not even upset. The man driving that van is just frustrated with cyclists who are not using the cycle lane and has decided to start spraying them with windscreen washer. Yes, I could taste the chemicals. No, he didn't show any remorse for his actions.

To the people who find this behaviour hard to believe, I say try cycling in Dublin a little more often. Pigeons get more respect.

And finally, I would like to add, that if you know the stretch of road I'm talking about that passes the airport southbound, you know very well why I was not using the 'cycle lane'.

Pompous out.

I know that road well. Next time I'm on it I'll spray every car that passes me with my water bottle. If anyone asks me why I'll say it's because all of them were using the old Dublin/Belfast road when there's a perfectly good motorway just around the corner! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for the reminder.... I need to fill my washer bottle in the morning...I must watch out for some cyclists to spray.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone else laugh when they read the thread title? No? Just me then? Ok I'm going to hell.... but it was worth it!!

• Advertisement

I'm amazed that this post generated the reaction that it did. I've often thought the same as I've been sprayed in traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But today I was passing the airport and one of those enterprise van drivers came up along side me, sprayed me several times, and then took off..
    someone who had rented a van had taken the time to ensure the windscreen sprayer sprayed cyclists rather than the windscreen itself? that's dedication.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've been sprayed several times, but always unintentionally, I think :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Has happened me a few times but wouldn't think it was ever deliberate.... nice on a hot day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Pompous out.

Are Enterprise not a van rental company.?? Random driver finds rental van washer jets are spraying outside windscreen area and acts the prick. Outrageous stuff indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had it happen a couple of times. Usually don’t think much of it - some washers seem to deflect the water jet up and over the roof more easily.

In saying that, if it was deliberate, I might find myself tapping on their window in heavy traffic and accidentally missing my mouth with my bidon....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

nee wrote: »
    I've been sprayed several times, but always unintentionally, I think :eek:
    pjmn wrote: »
    Has happened me a few times but wouldn't think it was ever deliberate.... nice on a hot day! :)

Mwahahaha that's what you think, MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ha!

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Are Enterprise not a van rental company.?? Random driver finds rental van washer jets are spraying outside windscreen area and acts the prick. Outrageous stuff indeed

Enterprise is a car rental place as far as I know. This man works for them and ferries people between the car rental location and the airport. All day long. So he uses this stretch of road all the time and has worked himself up enough to resort to this childish behaviour.

I guess it's just a big joke to everyone.

On that stretch of road I regularly get beeped at and suffer through 'punishment passes', all because the road raging driver cannot understand that the 'cycle lane' is unusable.

And now this. Now I have to have unknown chemicals sprayed in my mouth and eyes because a man-child never learned to process emotions in a healthy way.

I'm not allowing myself to get upset about it, but it does disappoint me so, so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Enterprise is a car rental place as far as I know. This man works for them and ferries people between the car rental location and the airport. All day long. So he uses this stretch of road all the time and has worked himself up enough to resort to this childish behaviour.

Car rental places normally use cars to transport people not vans.

Anyhow, I'm a driver and I can't understand why cyclists use roads around Dublin. It's scary the amount of sh2te you see. When I take my bike out I stay on the cycle lanes because it's just not worth it. Too many lunatics in cars...gets us all a bad name

Advertisement