Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Funds Local Authority Housing Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maxymo

GF2013 wrote: »
    maxymo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, I did appeal last week. You need to provide documents to support your appeal and send to the same person who received initially your application in the council you applied. They will send it to underwriters or whoever it should go. As I understood it will probably take another 6 weeks or so.[/QUOT.
    Thanks for that! Do you mind if I ask you what documents you sent in? I’m printing more up to date bank statements now which show higher savings amount the past 5 months. Not sure what else they might need?

Every appeal will be different depending on the reasons you were rejected. Up to date bank statements and everything you can imagine to demonstrate that the reasons of rejection you were given are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sammylok1977

Finally have an appointment today with DCC. Officer <<mod snip> she is very nice And helpful and check all the documents for me. If you have a gift from your family make sure you have 3% of your gift amount. They don't consider bonus so only take 10% of my commissions and overtime. As my age 41, so the loan Year is 29. I didn't put the amount of mortgage so <snip> the very nice officer she did the calculation for me. No point to put in on your own. Better let them do the calculation! Finger cross and prayed for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sammylok1977

They give me the direct line of housing department and I been place on hold for over 4 hrs long and crashed the line every 2 hours when waiting , so I called to the main line to complained and they Straigt away take my appointment, and no more waiting !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GF2013

So I am like a bear! Finally got a response from lady we had been dealing with. They did do our calculations wrong. I am on a social welfare payment for a disability, we were advised that my payment was one of the few that are recognized as income so I went and got all the necessary documents and included them with our application. When she called this morning she said that they hadn’t actually included my income at all and we’re going solely on my husbands income so that’s why we were rejected. But she said we can appeal! As far as I’m concerned this is their mistake and we shouldn’t have to appeal they just fix it but no we have to go through the whole appeals process now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

So I am like a bear! Finally got a response from lady we had been dealing with. They did do our calculations wrong. I am on a social welfare payment for a disability, we were advised that my payment was one of the few that are recognized as income so I went and got all the necessary documents and included them with our application. When she called this morning she said that they hadn’t actually included my income at all and we’re going solely on my husbands income so that’s why we were rejected. But she said we can appeal! As far as I’m concerned this is their mistake and we shouldn’t have to appeal they just fix it but no we have to go through the whole appeals process now!!!

Just begin again and be grateful for the scheme. Ten, twenty or a hundred deep breaths.

• Advertisement

Just begin again and be grateful for the scheme. Ten, twenty or a hundred deep breaths.

Oh I know, I am extremely grateful for the scheme, and I don’t want to sound otherwise, it’s just when they fail to provide accurate information about what’s needed and then react as if their mistake was as simple as giving fries instead of a shake at McDonald’s, it’s quite frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Has anyone had experience with an application to Waterford council. I have tried to make an appointment but have been told that they will only meet after the application has been submitted. I was also told by the same person to use x3 times my salary as an indication of how much to apply for (which doesnt make any sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I do not know your personal circumstances but the fact that this scheme will include social welfare payments into the calculations to award a mortgage is a red warning to me about the future issues with this scheme.

It appears the councils are very scattergun in their approach which is another warning sign. I would expect a high default rate with these loans, which the tax payer, yet again has to bear.

markodaly wrote: »
    I do not know your personal circumstances but the fact that this scheme will include social welfare payments into the calculations to award a mortgage is a red warning to me about the future issues with this scheme.

It appears the councils are very scattergun in their approach which is another warning sign. I would expect a high default rate with these loans, which the tax payer, yet again has to bear.

It doesn’t accept the majority of social welfare payments, disability is accepted so long as it’s not a life threatening condition and so long as the first applicant is in full time permanent employment, which my husband is.. People with disabilities need somewhere to live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Condescending much?

Someone with a disability payment may also be working part time or as much as they can do.fair play to them for wanting to pay for their own home than just given one by the government.
    markodaly wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mario787

Just looked over the application form to see how far away I am from being able to apply, some questions if anyone can answer them.

1) Under "FINANCIAL HISTORY & COMMITMENTS - Savings" there's an option for "Other". Would it be allowed to enter in the value of your shares here as a deposit (that's where all my money is right now). I understand that these amounts could change, but because of that I'd take away say 5% or even 10% to make sure if the value drops in x amount of weeks it should still be okay. I'd rather not sell everything and then get denied. Bank statements aren't of much use if I have a very low amount in my bank account, and I'm not sure if a statement of my stockbroker would do.

2) Under "DETAILS OF PROPERTY TO BE MORTGAGED" - what do I do in this case if I don't have a specific property that I want right now? I'd assume by the time the application is approved that the property has a good chance of being gone anyway. At the minute I just know I need £xxx for the type of property I want.

3) Same applies for "SOLICITOR" and "VALUATION ACCESS". I understand these need to be done for obvious reasons, but do these need to be filled in before applying? As I said above, I don't have my heart set on 1 specific property right now.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ailbag

Mario787 wrote: »
    Just looked over the application form to see how far away I am from being able to apply, some questions if anyone can answer them.

1) Under "FINANCIAL HISTORY & COMMITMENTS - Savings" there's an option for "Other". Would it be allowed to enter in the value of your shares here as a deposit (that's where all my money is right now). I understand that these amounts could change, but because of that I'd take away say 5% or even 10% to make sure if the value drops in x amount of weeks it should still be okay. I'd rather not sell everything and then get denied. Bank statements aren't of much use if I have a very low amount in my bank account, and I'm not sure if a statement of my stockbroker would do.

2) Under "DETAILS OF PROPERTY TO BE MORTGAGED" - what do I do in this case if I don't have a specific property that I want right now? I'd assume by the time the application is approved that the property has a good chance of being gone anyway. At the minute I just know I need £xxx for the type of property I want.

3) Same applies for "SOLICITOR" and "VALUATION ACCESS". I understand these need to be done for obvious reasons, but do these need to be filled in before applying? As I said above, I don't have my heart set on 1 specific property right now.

Thanks in advance.

Dunno much about shares but regarding your 2nd two questions, just leave them blank or put in N/A. The application takes 6+ weeks so you wouldn't want to be waiting on it to buy a particular house, especially in Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Anyone know from experiences themselves with the rebuilding Ireland mortgages, that if you are currently (2018) over the max income level currently 75k for a couple but last year (2017) were under it would they accept this.

I got two different answers from two different people on the chat option today!

We got incremental this year, so when we provide the 4 recent pay slips we will be over the limit!

Confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mario787

Has any one applied using online calculators as their rejection "letters"? I've my eye on a dream house but I highly double it'll still be around if I have to wait for 2 banks to reject me and then the council to approve it. I know it's still a risk to apply without using actual rejection letters but the site's FAQs does say it's allowed so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Mario787 wrote: »
    Has any one applied using online calculators as their rejection "letters"? I've my eye on a dream house but I highly double it'll still be around if I have to wait for 2 banks to reject me and then the council to approve it. I know it's still a risk to apply without using actual rejection letters but the site's FAQs does say it's allowed so who knows?

Applied to Dub Coco and Fingal with online calculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

raheny red wrote: »
    Applied to Dub Coco and Fingal today with online calculators.

I can't get in contact with fingal , number rings out and no response to emails,

Can I ask you did you make an appointment or just Rock up? I have my application ready to go .

Also about to take on the wrath of South Dublin county council for a second time!!!!!

I can't get in contact with fingal , number rings out and no response to emails,

Can I ask you did you make an appointment or just Rock up? I have my application ready to go .

Also about to take on the wrath of South Dublin county council for a second time!!!!!

customercareunit@fingal.ie

customerservices@dublincity.ie

Emailed both of those, appointments were sorted within an hour of my original emails. While in Dub coco 3 others came in and all had arranged an appointment so prob best off not rocking up. Both meetings lasted about 15 mins and very informal. They just make sure you have all the correct paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

raheny red wrote: »
    customercareunit@fingal.ie

customerservices@dublincity.ie

Emailed both of those, appointments were sorted within an hour of my original emails. While in Dub coco 3 others came in and all had arranged an appointment so prob best off not rocking up. Both meetings lasted about 15 mins and very informal. They just make sure you have all the correct paperwork.

Thanks , applied to Dublin city 3 weeks ago and found them brilliant , South Dublin not as helpful.

I'll try fingal again tomorrow, I've sent 3 emails to the above address

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foodiewarrior

Fingal you need to have a appointment. Meeting took 45min in Blanchardstown.
    Dublin city C you better make an appointment. You ring them, they answer the phone every time. Appointment took 1 hour.

Do you just screen grab the online calculator from the banks website and print it off then and add to to your application?

Thanks

• Advertisement

bri007 wrote: »
    Do you just screen grab the online calculator from the banks website and print it off then and add to to your application?

Thanks

Yep, that's what we did.

Thanks, I will get cracking on that ASAP and send in an application

quote="raheny red;107126847"]Yep, that's what we did.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morninwood

Hi all,

This is probably a daft question.
    I am looking into this scheme but do not have a specific property picked yet. The application form requires the details of the property to be mortgaged. I figured I'd first sort the mortgage approval in principal, like I would with a bank, and then go house hunting. Surely I can't go bidding for properties without having some sort of finance lined up.

Also, I am currently renting but have never kept a rent book and the payments are cash-in-hand. I am fine with just not having the rent payments factored in when assessing my financials. Any issues with declaring this as other and explaining the circumstances?

Thanks for any help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Whodat19

morninwood wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is probably a daft question.
    I am looking into this scheme but do not have a specific property picked yet. The application form requires the details of the property to be mortgaged. I figured I'd first sort the mortgage approval in principal, like I would with a bank, and then go house hunting. Surely I can't go bidding for properties without having some sort of finance lined up.

Also, I am currently renting but have never kept a rent book and the payments are cash-in-hand. I am fine with just not having the rent payments factored in when assessing my financials. Any issues with declaring this as other and explaining the circumstances?

Thanks for any help with this.

You pop down address unknown & the county. That's what we were told to do.

Also you can get a headed letter written up from landlord/letting agent saying how much you pay.

Is it worth applying now or waiting, my girlfriend is working over two years but I am not a full year yet working, will be in a few months.

Wi I just hang on or apply now

• Registered Users Posts: 28 voodosheeb

Is it worth applying now or waiting, my girlfriend is working over two years but I am not a full year yet working, will be in a few months.

you need to be in permanent employment to apply so if your permanent you should apply now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Apply now because the worst that can happen is that you will be rejected and also the scheme may be wound up at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Apply now because the worst that can happen is that you will be rejected and also the scheme may be wound up at any time.

Yes, but he will have to meet the eligibility criteria - this is at least 12 month in permanent employment for the joint applicant.
    If he applies without it, he will be declined at the first hurdle - which is a waste of time & effort.

I’d suggest to wait until you can proof a full year of employment - this scheme will be extended according to the government.

I was told by DCC that they have changed that now and it just have to be 1 year continuous employment and 2 years continuous employment for the main applicant of the two applying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

I was told by DCC that they have changed that now and it just have to be 1 year continuous employment and 2 years continuous employment for the main applicant of the two applying?

I am sorry, perhaps I misunderstood, or I phrased it wrong: the joint applicant need to show employment for the last 12 month previous to application.
    I understood that you can’t show that yet - or was the question about the permanent bit? Sorry for the confusion!

Advertisement