Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Incident Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The familiar stomach churning switch from ship grav to zero g to planetward acceleration stirs up old memories. Lena had always loved that split second of joy and relief between bursting out of the constricting confines of a landing pod and remembering what horror she'd been fired into.
    "These express elevators are hell" she mutters

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Nimroth

Fourier wrote: »
    The news updates are interesting. More cases of that "exposure headache", some bleeding from the nose. Further details are confined to the planet's science council.

Luckily enough, Nathan has also just received an invitation to same in light of his request. Dr. Spachens and Dr. Fulchz, leading planetologists brought in from the Imperium, are looking forward to his visit. The address is given simply as 'The Science Hub'.

Reading the good news Nathan boards the shuttle and takes an empty seat. Just removing his eyes from his data pad long enough to make sure he doesn't run into someone.

He puts on the safety belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Evade wrote: »
    "Everyone strapped in back there?"
    The ship's crew give a resounding "Yes!"

"Take her out" the copilot says with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

"Well then. Lets see what this baby can do" Kei releases the docking clamps lets the remaining air in the airlock blow the launch a little clear of the Stella Gris and slams the throttle forward to the safe limit and then a tiny bit beyond and noses down to a steep angle relative to the planet.

They fall toward Sargon at a break neck speed, the copilot being impressed.

"That's some angle of approach, but right on the money, there'll be minimum drag in the atmosphere. Heh, if only I had ten more years of practice."

They fall onward to Sargon.

GDmM2T.jpg

• Advertisement

Kei opens up a channel to the spaceport control at their destination "Sargon Spaceport control this is Stellar Gris Launch requesting approach vector. Over" Kei pushes the throttles a little more into the red and turns to her now copilot "Engineers are always to cautious with their redlines"

OOC: Holding there for the night

Kei opens up a channel to the spaceport control at their destination "Sargon Spaceport control this is Stellar Gris Launch requesting approach vector. Over" Kei pushes the throttles a little more into the red and turns to her now copilot "Engineers are always to cautious with their redlines"
    A detailed update of Sargon's atmosphere is fed to the boat's main computer, there's a reasonably friction free entry path into the planet's atmosphere around the North pole. The colony itself occupying a large island near the equator.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Mufasta'r, happy they are on their way, is curious about their new surroundings for the next 14 hours.

"Curious... Whether I'll be faced with Xenophobia, or locals already more accustomed, to those unlike them..." He thinks to himself.

Mufasta'r looks at the passengers of the shuttle, all familiar faces... names in the manifest... yet unknown to him. He looks besides him, Golpspirot, glad she decided to come along. Unusual though, as usually he can smell their unease due to his presence, yet with her... nothing.

He looks onto Lena, giving her a greeting nod then looking onto her over-sized luggage, turning back to her and giving her a sly wink.

He lets loose a low guttural sound, as if to clear his throat and then leans towards Lena.

"You... look like, you know how to take leave..."

He grins at Lena

"I served... alongside the Empire, some days better than others... But you... Know how to let off steam..."

"I hope, you'll extend the invite... If... There is a party..."

Nimroth wrote: »
    Reading the good news Nathan boards the shuttle and takes an empty seat. Just removing his eyes from his data pad long enough to make sure he doesn't run into someone.

He puts on the safety belts.
    Close enough to Sargon, Nathan receives clearance to access the more restricted data.

"Just to have you up to speed" reads a note attached by Dr. Spachens.

Access to the full data requires submitting his Imperial personal data through to the science council on Sargon. Accomplished with the swipe of a finger if he wishes.

• Advertisement

"leave...." She repeats. "The absence of duty, hm?" She slaps his leg. "Guess you were regular army then. In the Corp there ain't no such thing as an 'absence of duty'. Its duty, it ain't going nowhere. You can take your vay-kay, you can rotate out, you can quit, but boy you are in the **** till the day you die."

She realises she's sound a lot like her old staff sergeant. Accent n' all.

"Look, don't worry. *This* party kicks off?"
    She slaps the bag,
    "You'll know all about it. Everyone dances at that party.

Everyone."

"Sargon Spaceport control, Stellar Gris Launch, Polar entry route confirmed. Out" Kei adjust her course to match the data on her screen and checks one of the instrument panels see if the artificial gravity is auto aligning to the planet below. "Any trouble with the grav auto alignment?" She asks her co pilot "I don't want everyone throwing up on me"

"Jup... Meathead through and through..." Mufasta'r thinks to himself and casually grins at Lena.

"Regular army... yes..." he responds to Lena.

Mufasta'r turns to Nathan, he has met this type before.

He lets out a roar, throws himself back and stretches as far as the cabin will allow.

"Wake me up... When we're there..."

"Sargon Spaceport control, Stellar Gris Launch, Polar entry route confirmed. Out" Kei adjust her course to match the data on her screen and checks one of the instrument panels see if the artificial gravity is auto aligning to the planet below. "Any trouble with the grav auto alignment?" She asks her co pilot "I don't want every one throwing up on me"
    "Heh, you don't miss a thing..."

He punches a few commands into the main display console.

"Gravity increasing nicely, should see the main terraforming tower up ahead.

oYrq4g.jpg

Nathan briefly looks up from his datapad to look at the Aslan. He flashes a brief smile and continues his studies.

Dr. Spachens and Dr. Fulchz's profiles flicker over the screen and he tries to get an idea of the scientists background. He wouldn't want to look like an unprepared amateur.

OOC: Brief note about the Traveller setting. Around 300,000 years ago some early humans were taken from Earth and brought to multiple other worlds and genetically modified. These other lineages of humans have since built their own space capable societies. The most powerful being the Vilani and the Zhodani, the former coming from a world without disease and the latter genetically engineered to be natural psychics.

The largest Stellar power right now is the Imperium. It's a "club" that worlds can sign up for at different levels of membership, lowest being basic military protection. The Imperium doesn't really have a say in local laws and only defends the Imperium as a whole from non-Imperium threats (member worlds for example may go to war with each other depending on membership status). It started out as a protection racket.

Most of its population are a mix of Vilani and humans from Earth (known as Solomani).

Nathan briefly looks up from his datapad to look at the Aslan. He flashes a brief smile and continues his studies.

Dr. Spachens and Dr. Fulchz's profiles flicker over the screen and he tries to get an idea of the scientists background. He wouldn't want to look like an unprepared amateur.
    The datapad is very thorough.

Spachens and Fulchz are not natives of this region of space, coming from several sectors over, in the heart of Imperium territory. Fulchz was resposible for several successful terraforming operations in the Imperial core regions, where all naturally habitable worlds are settled. The trip to reach here took him ten years, most of it in cold storage. His reasons being the challenge of making a remains of a neutron star habitable.

Spachens on the other hand is one of the Imperium's most experienced mineral extraction experts, especially for very rare materials. He comes from the fringes of the Imperium, though on the opposite site of the Core Worlds to Fulchz.

His eyes still closed, he nudges the Golpspirot next to him.

"Any particular interest, keen on exploring... When we are planetside?" he asks.

Fourier wrote: »
    Close enough to Sargon, Nathan receives clearance to access the more restricted data.

"Just to have you up to speed" reads a note attached by Dr. Spachens.

Access to the full data requires submitting his Imperial personal data through to the science council on Sargon. Accomplished with the swipe of a finger if he wishes.

After studying the scientists profile he moves on to the detailed reports. He swipes his finger over the sensor on his datapad to initiate the authentication process.

Say what you like about drillpods, for all their shortcomings in comfort, utility or style, they were quick. This landing is taking forever. Lena's stomach begins to grumble. She shouts to the cockpit :
    "Hey, Flygirl! Quit buzzing the tower and put this bird on the ground. Gently!"
    Then to the Aslan beside her
    "I feel the need, the need for feed!"
    Her hand hangs in the air, waiting for the high-five.

"Feed..." Mufasta'r thinks to himself.

"I cant remember the last feed..."

He looks at Lena's arm, stretching out with her palm exposed... His mind starts to wander and drool starts dripping from the corners of his mouth..

All he can see...

Meat-Hand.bmp

He shakes his head wildly to snap out of it and resiprocates Lena's high five.

He roars loudly, snarls and gets a big grin on his face.

"FEELING THE NEED... FOR FEED!!!!

• Advertisement

The port authority on Sargon clears Kei for landing, the main colonial landing bay opens its roof.

Kei takes the craft in for a smooth landing in the assigned bay and powers down the engines. She looks over at her copilot "You got it from here Sandy? And thanks for giving me the stick."

Lena returns her table to the fully upright position.

After studying the scientists profile he moves on to the detailed reports. He swipes his finger over the sensor on his datapad to initiate the authentication process.
    A stream of data floods his datapad.

The rock formations near the colony display odd chemical features. Fluorides layered on top of each other sequentially. Scans of the rocks indicate the surface once had a layer of tunnels with these fluoride walls as their outer layer. Definitely a feature of some indigenous sentient species, though little of their material culture has been found during digs. Their technology was at a early spaceflight stage, they had probably begun to colonise planets in their own system, though nothing had been found on the Guardian, the nearest world to Sargon.

Kei takes the craft in for a smooth landing in the assigned bay and powers down the engines. She looks over at her copilot "You got it from here Sandy? And thanks for giving me the stick."
    "I do and no problem, good to watch a pro work"

He turns back in his seat.

"Alright out people, I'll be back in Fourteen hours."

Outside the window, the port is a typical drab industrial affair.

UDP2oi.jpg

Kei exits the craft and breathes in deeply through her nose smiles at the familiar smell of exhaust and lubricants. "Just like back on the Spiral."

She turns to Lena "Going to party like it's fleet week?"

Nathan unstraps himself.
    The Aslan doesn't seem to be in need of being woken up, so he proceeds towards the shuttles exit.
    He takes a careful sniff of the air walking through the lock.
    Looking around briefly to get his bearings he sets the council chambers as destination in his local navigation widget and checks the distance.

She turns to Lena "Going to party like it's fleet week?"
    Lena grins.
    "I'm gonna drink till I remember why I got on that freighter in the first place or stop caring that I can't. Hey, Thinker! Your datapad tell you where a girl can get a cheap drink?"

He looks at Lena and back to his datapad.
    Three swipes later he points into a direction.
    "14 hours. Have fun everyone."

• Advertisement

Looking around briefly to get his bearings he sets the council chambers as destination in his local navigation widget and checks the distance.
    20.6 km, there's a tram within the complex on which they stand that can take him there.

Advertisement