Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decriminisation of personal use of illegal drugs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Rory28 wrote: »
    Weed will eventually be legalised but I feel like Ireland will be one of the last to do so in Europe. Will be a great day when it happens.

It's amazing how we can be so forward thinking on things such as the smoking ban and gay marriage yet we remain so utterly backward on this.

Whatever about the case for harder drugs, bearing in mind that alcohol is one of the most harmful, the discussion on cannabis is a no brainer. It's done and dusted.

Even the US, where this "war on drugs" began has given up on that one..

It's a ****in plant with a flower for ****s sake..

You can't ban a plant.

jiltloop wrote: »
    Your knowledge on this subject is laughable. Full of incorrect clichés.

His posts read like a really bad tabloid article from the 80's.

Just say no :rolleyes:

Swanner wrote: »
    It's amazing how we can be so forward thinking on things such as the smoking ban and gay marriage yet we remain so utterly backward on this.

Whatever about the case for harder drugs, bearing in mind that alcohol is one of the most harmful, the discussion on cannabis is a no brainer. It's done and dusted.

Even the US, where this "war on drugs" began has given up on that one..

It's a ****in plant with a flower for ****s sake..

You can't ban a plant.
    I'm in favour of decriminalising and possibly legalising but there needs to be plenty of warnings with it. Some people find it helpful but it can do a lot of damage to people as well. Not scare stories or whatever but I've seen with different people that for some it helps them plenty but I've seen it go the other way as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Arrival wrote: »
    You really are clueless. I'm certain you haven't even considered the fact that cannabis being illegal and only available from criminal drug dealers means that people that buy cannabis have easier access to such hard drugs since most dealers would have a supply of hard drugs to offer any possible curious cannabis customers. You're also putting cocaine next to heroin which says a lot about your experience and education on drugs.

Really, if this thread was indicative of the level of logic and critical thinking skills amongst the general Irish population I would be depressed. But I know many of you are just old and hold outdated ideas and views of what drugs are when you never even tried some of them. No worries, the upcoming young population are far more reasonable and open minded and this will all balance itself out as you and your antiquated, ignorant views die out

I'm 34 buddy! :P
    You might be a responsible person, you clearly know more about drugs than I do.
    But that's not to say everyone would be responsible.
    When people can do what they want, chaos ensues. People are thick man. LIKE PROPERLY STUPID!
    I know it wasn't drug related, but look at what happened in Tallaght during the snow. That's what happens when people feel they can do what they want, that's how thick humans are!
    decriminalise not legalise. If the gardai didnt waste their time prosecuting users with an ounce of weed they would have more time to catch the major dealers.
    Decriminalising small amounts isn't the same as legalising.
    I know drug dealers and the Gardai know them well. I don't buy the lack of resources thing overall, they're happy to keep a balance rather than all hell breaking loose.

RE: the decriminalise -vs- not legalise
    I'm a very black and white person, IE it's allowed or it's not. With the punishment being proportional to the volume of it you posses.

Maybe I'm thick for not knowing the difference..... :pac::o

grahambo wrote: »
    I'm a very black and white person, IE it's allowed or it's not. With the punishment being proportional to the volume of it you posses.

Glad you're not in charge so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Would the week or two in jail you propose come with a conviction? If an 18 year old gets caught with a joint and is sent down for the week or two will he have to explain that in a job interview when he is 40?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Most of the people I know, will have a drink but won't do drugs.
    So I'll disagree with you on that one.

When do you think most people will take their first blow of a joint/line of coke/pill?

A. When sober

or

B. When inhibitions are lowered due to the alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The current weed that people are buying is absolutely destroying the lives of regular smokers. Listened to the Professor of Psychiatry in TCD (also the top man in St’ Partick’s hospital), and he was saying it’s a real tragedy. Young lads barely out of their teens presenting with symptoms of psychosis and schizophrenia. The idea that weed is a harmless recreational drug is a complete myth perpetrated by stoners and potheads.

The current weed that people are buying is absolutely destroying the lives of regular smokers. Listened to the Professor of Psychiatry in TCD (also the top man in St’ Partick’s hospital), and he was saying it’s a real tragedy. Young lads barely out of their teens presenting with symptoms of psychosis and schizophrenia. The idea that weed is a harmless recreational drug is a complete myth perpetrated by stoners and potheads.
    Some of them. Again the fact that it's illegal muddies things so much. Have open discussions, warnings and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Its legal in some form or another in most US States now.

Opoid dependency is dropping off a cliff... Opoids which are prescribed heroin. Pharma have lost billions. Who has a motive?

Deaths from road accidents dropped too as less people use the toxic alcohol and replaced with Cannabis.

No reports of people going crazy in places where Cannabis has been legal for a long time.

The Psychosis thing came from reefer madness and all those clowns who renamed it marijuana to make it sound more "Mexican" and they hated the mexicans in the great old US!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Captcha wrote: »

Opoid dependency is dropping off a cliff... Opoids which are prescribed heroin. Pharma have lost billions. Who has a motive?

Deaths from road accidents dropped too as less people use the toxic alcohol and replaced with Cannabis.

No reports of people going crazy in places where Cannabis has been legal for a long time.

The Psychosis thing came from reefer madness and all those clowns who renamed it marijuana to make it sound more "Mexican" and they hated the mexicans in the great old US!
    I know a few people who have had to stop smoking due to the issues it was creating. The "it's totally harmless" crowd are as annoying as the "it'll make you jump out the window" crowd.

No, the psychosis thing came from Professor Jim Lucey telling Pat Kenny about the explosion in people (mostly men in the their 20’s) presenting to front line mental health services with severe (sometimes life changing) paranoia, delusion and psychosis as a result of smoking weed on a semi-regular or regular basis. That’s the reality, not some ‘pipe dream’ about it being some neferaious plot by ‘big pharma’ or the ‘man’ to drag the name of this natural wonder drug through the mud.

There’s a debate to be had about the decriminalisation of drugs. One of the realities of that debate is removing this silly idea that being a stoner is a perfectly healthy lifestyle choice. It isn’t. It’s a depressing, dirty, and unhealthy addiction to a drug that makes its users lazy, paranoid, and sickly looking.

One of the realities of that debate is removing this silly idea that being a stoner is a perfectly healthy lifestyle choice. It isn’t. It’s a depressing, dirty, and unhealthy addiction to a drug that makes its users lazy, paranoid, and sickly looking.

Thats not a reality its an opinion. Have a look at the NBA or NFL. Do they look lazy or sickly? How about Joe Rogan? I think you are using people you know personally and tarring everyone with the same brush. Is everyone that drinks beer a wino that sits outside centra?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

No, the psychosis thing came from Professor Jim Lucey telling Pat Kenny about the explosion in people (mostly men in the their 20’s) presenting to front line mental health services with severe (sometimes life changing) paranoia, delusion and psychosis as a result of smoking weed on a semi-regular or regular basis. That’s the reality, not some ‘pipe dream’ about it being some neferaious plot by ‘big pharma’ or the ‘man’ to drag the name of this natural wonder drug through the mud.

There’s a debate to be had about the decriminalisation of drugs. One of the realities of that debate is removing this silly idea that being a stoner is a perfectly healthy lifestyle choice. It isn’t. It’s a depressing, dirty, and unhealthy addiction to a drug that makes its users lazy, paranoid, and sickly looking.

Alcohol is a depressant, Cannabis is not.
    Alcohol makes you dirty and sweaty Cannabis does not
    Smoking Cannabis is shown to lower risk of lung cancer than non smokers
    Alcohol makes you look worse

Thats not a reality its an opinion. Have a look at the NBA or NFL. Do they look lazy or sickly? How about Joe Rogan? I think you are using people you know personally and tarring everyone with the same brush. Is everyone that drinks beer a wino that sits outside centra?

I’ve never met a stoner who wasn’t negatively impacted by their drug addiction. It’s the nature of addiction. The same applies to heavy drinkers, or coke fiends. Weed appears to the only addiction though where some of its users will continue to defend its usage even as their life continues to be one dominated by the substance. That’s one of the reasons it’s so nefarious. The drug appears to trick them into thinking that laziness, lethargy, paranoia, and delusion are somehow normal parts of the human condition. In some cases the delusion is so strong, that the chronic user will try and preach that this horrible lifestyle is somehow optimal, or a source of mental clarity that ‘normies’ cannot obtain. :rolleyes:

I’ve never met a stoner who wasn’t negatively impacted by their drug addiction. It’s the nature of addiction. The same applies to heavy drinkers, or coke fiends. Weed appears to the only addiction though where some of its users will continue to defend its usage even as their life continues to be one dominated by the substance. That’s one of the reasons it’s so nefarious. The drug appears to trick them into thinking that laziness, lethargy, paranoia, and delusion are somehow normal parts of the human condition. In some cases the delusion is so strong, that the chronic user will try and preach that this horrible lifestyle is somehow optimal, or a source of mental clarity that ‘normies’ cannot obtain. :rolleyes:

I'd see a stoner as someone who smokes every day. Now I'm under no illusions there are fair few like this but the majority of people who smoke pot are like the majority that drink.

Moderation is the key but we shouldn't have to punish the majority because the few will become dependant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

NEWSFLASH!!!! Cannabis is not addictive and has no addictive properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Alcohol destroys the lives of thousands of people every year in this country, it costs the health service billions and is directly responsible for numerous deaths and yet it’s legal. How many people have died because they smoked too much weed?

The World Health Organisation disagree with you, as they have included it in the statistical and diagnostic manual of mental disorders under a condition titled Cannabis Use Disorder.

Cannabis addiction is often due to prolonged and increasing use of the drug. Increasing the strength of the cannabis taken and an increasing use of more effective methods of delivery often increase the progression of cannabis dependency. It can also be caused by being prone to becoming addicted to substances, which can either be genetically or environmentally acquired.[10] The use of cannabis at a young age such as the teenage years, can have serious impacts on depression and anxiety in youth and later in life.[11]

Cannabis is one of the most widely used drugs in the world. In the United States, 49% of people have used cannabis.[2] an estimated 9% of those who use cannabis develop dependence.[3] In the US, as of 2013, cannabis is the most commonly identified illicit substance used by people admitted to treatment facilities.[4] Demand for treatment for cannabis use disorder increased internationally between 1995 and 2002.[5]

Cannabis use is associated with comorbid mental health problems, such as mood and anxiety disorders, and discontinuing cannabis use is difficult for some users.[7] Psychiatric comorbidities are often present in dependent cannabis users including a range of personality disorders.[9]

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Alcohol destroys the lives of thousands of people every year in this country, it costs the health service billions and is directly responsible for numerous deaths and yet it’s legal. How many people have died because they smoked too much weed?

Logical fallacy. The availability and social acceptance of alcohol in society is not a valid argument for/against the legalisation of smoking weed. I’m pro decrimilisation by the way. It’s just that stoners always come up with such terrible arguments for why their drug of choice is worthy of legalisation. They’re the strongest argument against it to be honest.

In the US, as of 2013, cannabis is the most commonly identified illicit substance used by people admitted to treatment facilities.[4] Demand for treatment for cannabis use disorder increased internationally between 1995 and 2002.[5][/I]

This is because when you are arrested for possession of a small amount the first time you are given the option of rehab or jail. what would you pick?

The drug appears to trick them into thinking that laziness, lethargy, paranoia, and delusion are somehow normal parts of the human condition. In some cases the delusion is so strong, that the chronic user will try and preach that this horrible lifestyle is somehow optimal, or a source of mental clarity that ‘normies’ cannot obtain. :rolleyes:

Honestly where are you reading this stuff :confused:

Are they even your own words or did you copy and paste from somewhere ?

From experience and people around me I don't buy that at all. I can stop drinking far easier than people I know who try to stop smoking weed. I know people who quit tobacco but couldn't finish weed.

The black and white stuff is all so annoying. It has addictive/dependent aspects to it. Some people find it good as a way to self-medicate without pharmaceuticals, some abuse it for the same purpose. Or the classic that it's not bad for you, I doubt there's many other things you can apparently inhale the smoke from with zero side-effects. :rolleyes:

I'm in favour of legalising weed and decriminalising the rest but I'm not going to let on that it's harmless. I've had good and bad times, and the majority of people I know who smoked it left it behind. However I know plenty who didn't and who have an on-going issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Circumstantial evidence like this is totally meaningless. “I know a guy who smokes and he’s a waster therefore weed turns people into wasters” Absolute nonsense. It’s the same as alcohol. Some choose to abuse it, some choose to use it in moderation. People like me who choose to use cannibis moderately shouldn’t be living in fear of getting tangled up in the criminal justice system and ruining our careers as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

You are aware that there are hundreds of different strains of cannabis, right? And prohibition and a lack of regulation has actually resulted in ridiculously potent strains being the most easily available ones? Teenagers wouldn't have such easy access to such high THC strains with legalisation, it's even been found that use amongst teenagers has decreased in legal states in the US. I feel bad for people who have only ever tried high THC strains that just make you feel like a potato

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'm 34 buddy! :P
    You might be a responsible person, you clearly know more about drugs than I do.
    But that's not to say everyone would be responsible.
    When people can do what they want, chaos ensues. People are thick man. LIKE PROPERLY STUPID!
    I know it wasn't drug related, but look at what happened in Tallaght during the snow. That's what happens when people feel they can do what they want, that's how thick humans are!

I'm a very black and white person, IE it's allowed or it's not.
    With the punishment being proportional to the volume of it you posses.

maybe stop embarrassing yourself when you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about so.

and use that time to educate yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Look at Michael Phelps, he's a 'stoner' and has only won 7 Olympic gold medals. If only he didn't smoke cannabis maybe he would've made something of himself!

Also, anyone who uses the argument "smoking cannabis everyday can result in 'x side effect' is instantly setting themselves up to stand out as an idiot because any person with common sense would realise that consuming any mind altering substance on a regular basis will have adverse effects. You can't use this as an argument to prevent legalisation for the majority of people who are capable of enjoying things in moderation. Look at alcohol, the majority of people will drink once or twice a week on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Alcohol is a depressant, Cannabis is not.
    Alcohol makes you dirty and sweaty Cannabis does not
    Smoking Cannabis is shown to lower risk of lung cancer than non smokers
    Alcohol makes you look worse

It doesn't lower the risk of lung cancer, it increases it.

Take a look at the US or British Lung Foundations websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So in my ten years of being a Garda, I can easily say 70% of people I arrested had alcohol taken. Up that to 90% for alcohol being a factor at some point. In those 10 years, I never arrested someone for being too stoned, or committing a crime because they were stoned. Why? Because the stoners don't cause hassle. They know that the idiots can go into town and get messed up drunk every night if they want. The stoners are at a friends house, playing games (electronic, board, RPG), listening to music, watching tv/movies.

I'll be honest, I didn't do much with the drugs investigations where I was based, because there's a drugs unit for that, but even they will say that it's the most harmless (read: least harmful) intoxicant out there imo. Although, one sergeant did tell me that cannabis was worse than heroin, so I never listened to a word he said from that day forth, but there's idiots in every line of work.

It was supposed to have been decriminalised a couple of years back, but nothing has happened. There seems to be renewed ideas that it will be decriminalised early next year, along with coke, and heroin. They're opening injection centres in Dublin, and other cities to follow apparently. Once that happens, the door to allowing recreational cannabis use will be easier to open. And I welcome it.

I can hand on heart say that if cannabis was legalised, I would never drink again. It's poison, it's detrimental to your health, and causes numerous health and public expenditure problems. If cannabis was legalised, you'll have the usual idiots over indulging, but the will only last the honeymoon period, until the majority of people are able to treat it properly. You'll still have the idiots that overindulge, just like with alcohol, but the 'war on drugs' won't work. Legalising cannabis will decimate the income of large gangs, and free up Garda time to investigate the heavier drug dealers, even suppliers.

Cannabis is not 100% safe for 100% of people, just like alcohol, coffee, nuts, dairy... Everyone can't have everything, but this country seems to think they know what's best for me.

Advertisement