Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Club - a trial run

Options
  • 15-05-2018 8:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hullo all,

So in the recent feedback thread and indeed a few scattered mentions elsewhere, the idea of a film forum film club has popped up again. Veteran posters will remember such a thing existed before, but faded out after a few years (for multiple reasons). The landscape has changed a bit with the normalisation of streaming, so perhaps it's worth giving it a shot again.

The idea would be simple: a film is picked, everyone goes to watch it, everyone reports back, pleasant discussion hopefully follows. With so much forum space dedicated to blockbusters these days, it'd hopefully be a good way to get a bit of attention to less visible efforts.

Now, this well mightn't work - initial enthusiasm doesn't always translate to consistent participation. I'm a cynic in that respect! But we can give it the best chance we can. Personally, I'd suggest sticking to what's available on Netflix at first - while it narrows the choices down dramatically, it also ensures they're easily available to anyone who wants to take part. If it takes off, we can look beyond Netflix. There's enough interesting stuff on there to sustain a few months of discussion if needed. There'd also be a bit of work choosing films that aren't too well known but not too obtuse either. For now it would be a trial: if it proves to not be worth the effort, it can be declared a noble failure ;)

So, is anyone interested? Any thoughts on the best way of selecting a film?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I would definitely be interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds good. I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Definitely in, the sooner the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd be interested. On the Rock and Metal forum a few years ago there was an album of the week.

Basically users nominated an album and whichever suggestion got the most thanks was picked as AOTW.

A similar set up for picking a film might work?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'd be on for that too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yep, onboard for this!

Selecting a film - probably a poll to determine the film. Someone (mod presumably) would need to take charge of compiling the list each time. Suggestions for the next poll could be made thread of the current one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm interested in this if it takes off. Something easy to maintain for the mods would be best, so a thanks-based voting system might work with low overhead - maybe with a veto system to avoid any Meet The Spartans-like incidents.

I think having separate threads for each film watched would be good to help avoid muddling conversations. if possible I'd also suggest avoiding choosing films that have been done in previous film clubs, at least as much as is practical...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd definitely follow along though I can have trouble articulating my thoughts when it comes to media so I don't know how much to actually contribute.
    I'd agree to limiting it to Netflix to begin with too. Even though there more TV/Serial format focused there's still a lot of films on there that I never got round to seeing and its probably the most accessible service for films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'm definilty on for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

megaten wrote: »
    I'd definitely follow along though I can have trouble articulating my thoughts when it comes to media so I don't know how much to actually contribute.

Watch a movie, tell everyone what you think of it. Nothing to be stressing over :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Sounds good , I'm interested .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

I'd be up for it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I would be interested, sort out of fallen out of love of film recently, might help my interest. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, this sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Interested in giving it a whirl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

In

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

bullvine wrote: »
    I would be interested, sort out of fallen out of love of film recently, might help my interest. Cheers

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Sure why not

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

Yeah interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Yeah, I would be up for this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So, is anyone interested? Any thoughts on the best way of selecting a film?

The most popular (and contentious) part of fotw was always voting for which film to discuss. Which is why it pretty much died off once we started choosing users to decide the film. Getting people to watch a film, even re-watch a film that they've seen before, no matter how easily available it is, is very difficult. But it's even harder when the film is being chosen for them by someone whose taste in film they may not value.

The problem with having a popular vote is that you get the same old classics being voted on that nobody has anything interesting to say about. and in the unlikely event that there is someone with a different view they'll be reluctant to say it knowing that everyone voted on it and obviously disagrees with them.

I don't really know what the answer is, but if its going to be a "film club" I think it needs to be a compromise between these two different approaches. Like maybe a revolving group of users unanimously selects the film each week. At least it would mean it wouldn't end up getting left to the mods to organise. Alternatively go with the popular vote but make it a kind of "film canon" selected by the users of the forum rather than a film club. I dunno, it depends what everyone wants out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are there any genres that we do not want to see?

for example I wouldn't be into musicals and by extension Bollywood movies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I only ever watch Bollywood films, and the occasional musical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

You could do a monthly/weekly rotation of those involved in the Club to choose a film. Randomly, one member is asked to pick their film of the week and users can join in and then discuss in the subsequent week. That would be one approach.

Voting each week could work, but then how would you decide the nominee films? Could end up being a lot to choose from in the poll.

A panel that alternates every month? A number of people who discuss between themselves which film should be discussed each week of a given month.

Just some ideas, I guess!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 willwe

But isnt that the purpose of a Film Club to open you to new films/genres. Im into this and it should be as broad as possible. How about silent era?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Skerries wrote: »
    are there any genres that we do not want to see?

for example I wouldn't be into musicals and by extension Bollywood movies

Tbh trying to cater to that kind of thing will kill the whole idea stone dead before it starts. If a film comes up that you don't want to watch, skip it. Otherwise you get something that can't scale because everyone has finicky likes/dislikes of some sort.

On the "how to select a film" front, if we're not going for user nominations, I would suggest a curated source, maybe the current version of Sight & Sound's 50 Greatest Films Of All Time.

Alternatively, one of the mods picks e.g. 5 films as suggestions and people vote for one of them to start off, then after a couple of weeks of discussion a poster from the discussion thread is picked at random to suggest 5 more choices and people vote on them, then repeat from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Maybe one of the Mods picks a film to start and then the next month a film is picked by one of the posters who actually watched and posted in the Film club?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'd definitely be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Both curation and popular vote definitely have their own problems. Here's a potential compromise approach, and I think captures some of Fysh's suggestions too. I think it's the easiest way to ensure everyone feels involved, without loading any one person or group with lots of work.

We make a list of posters interested in choosing films. Participation in any 'film club' discussion is by no means relegated to those on the list, of course, and we can add people whenever they want. Every fortnight/month (whichever works best... a week is probably too short) a person is randomly chosen, and they pick three films they'd think would make for good discussion for whatever reason - we'll call that person the curator for handiness sake. I say three films, but if people think two or five would be a better number, that's cool too - three is IMO a decent limit). They privately run their choices past the previous 'curator', who can veto a film if they think it's, for example, way too popular for inclusion - just a failsafe to ensure, say, a Star Wars or Marvel film doesn't make the cut - of if the choices are wildly inappropriate. In the unlikely event a veto leads to a dispute, they can run it by a mod.

Once the films get the thumbs up, the user starts a thread with a poll of the three films, and a brief description / trailer of each film. Users vote to pick which one they want to see included. What's important here is that we stress that picking a film just because you like it isn't the best option here - instead, people are encouraged to pick either a film they haven't seen or the one they think would make for the best discussion. Thread is locked while users vote (I assume that's technically possible :pac:).

After a day or two of voting, a film is chosen, the thread is reopened, and *hopefully* people go and watch it and discuss it.

After a few days / weeks, the current 'curator' randomly selects next week's on something like Random.org, and the cycle begins again. If that new person doesn't respond in a decent amount of time, then someone else is chosen. If the idea does take off, a poster can't become curator again until the list finishes and everyone has had their turn, at which point everything can be refreshed if needed.

Alternatively, rather than the list, the existing discussion threads could be used to pick the next 'curator', as per Fysh's suggestion. That'd reward participation.

Any thoughts? If it seems a bit convoluted written down, I do reckon it'd be a decent compromise between popular vote and curation... popular curation, if you will :) If people would rather a trial run without that fuss, I'm sure myself or Sad Prof would be willing to kick things off before a process is formally formulated.

Advertisement