Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme noise level - creche

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yurple wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great replies. I will try wax ear plugs instead of the foam ones i have now.

As they warm up, and rub them between your fingers a while first, , they literally mould into your ears so block more effectively,

I had problems with piercing barking from a local dog and they cut it out almost totally.

I hope they help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

frag420 wrote: »
    No idea. I doubt it is specific to children playing, more so what is allowed in a residential area!

Kids being noisey not permitted in a residential area!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I could think of worst sounds than children playing

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

The creche outdoor play area is in the courtyard and they cycle through different age groups of children throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wait till it’s all nice and quiet in the crèche and then go outside and start roaring and screaming and see how they like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hurrache wrote: »
    Kids being noisey not permitted in a residential area!?!

No problem if they are residents!

However if they are shipped in to a residential area as part of a commercial venture such as a crèche and are actively encouraged to be loud to the detriment of the residents then there is an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

I live next door to a large nightclub, 1500 people large, the walls actually vibrate.

Anyway download:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.relaxio.relaxio

Play the noise or combination of several noises thru a stereo, not your phone.

The first time may seem annoying but after a few goes you actually sleep better than normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

frag420 wrote: »
    No problem if they are residents!

However if they are shipped in to a residential area as part of a commercial venture such as a crèche and are actively encouraged to be loud to the detriment of the residents then there is an issue!
    Creche and school in local area are actually good planning. Where else should creches be but close to people who need them? I know that in some estates building for creche was built and then rented out to whoever wishes to provide the service. However ncouraging kids to scream on top of their voice is not on. Approaching the creche and getting better ear plugs is probably op's best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I seriously doubt that the kids are encouraged to scream at the top of their voices. There have also been many purpose built crèches in apartment blocks and iand is possible that this one has planning permission granted at the same time as the apartments but took a little longer to find a company to occupy the premises. If this is a big issue in the area something would have been done after so many years. I suspect that there is a little sensationalism in the OP (told to scream etc) but I’d be quite sure that the crèche is not breaking any noise pollution laws due to it operating during normal sociable hours. The only people that can say of planning or noise laws are broken is the local council but be prepared to be told that the crèche are doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

GreeBo wrote: »
    No, its like someone building a school yard outside your house unbeknownst to you. Based on what the OP is telling us, there seems like an awful lot to complain about actually. I know I would be complaining. Its an inappropriate use of public(?) space.

OP, is the play area in the courtyard or is there a separate area within the creche?
    That's what the planning process is for. If the OP bought in the build stage (s)he needed to keep an eye out on what services were going in to the local environment, probably would not of helped as to th location of the crèche but may have allowed the OP to make different buy decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I occasionally have to share the close confines of a yacht with some champion snorers. What works for me is to put headphones on and attach to a small radio playing Lyric FM on a low volume. The small sound mostly blocks out the louder trumpeting from the fellow crew members.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My sister lived in an apartment with a courtyard for a while. The structure amplified the sound of kids outside until it actually felt like there were 32 of them sitting on the couch beside you screeching even if there were only 5 out. It was horrific IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

This could explain why it sounds like they are screaming as loud as they possibly can... maybe the sound is being amplified due to the courtyard being completely surrounded by apartments and my bedroom is right above the creche playground.
    My sister lived in an apartment with a courtyard for a while. The structure amplified the sound of kids outside until it actually felt like there were 32 of them sitting on the couch beside you screeching even if there were only 5 out. It was horrific IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I can't see you getting any legal satisfaction. Creche has planning permission to operate as a creche. Creches have children. Children make noise. The planners took this into consideration during the planning process.

I think your options are what can you do for yourself. Sell, rent out the apartment, ear plugs, move room, install better soundproofing windows etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It is between 08:30 and 09:00 in the morning until between 17:00 and 18:00 when the children are outside in the middle of the courtyard. It is not just 30 minutes. It is the entire day, 5 days a week.

They also do not just go outside and play... several of the staff members open the doors and go: "CHILDREN LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SCREAM CHILDREN SCREAM!!! I AM CHASING YOU!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA"

She screams this on the top of her lungs every day ... possibly to make the children tired for the rest of the rest so it is easier to manage? I am unsure. The staff members are as loud as possible and make the children run around and scream their heads off :(
    This sounds awesome I’d send my kid there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Could you go ask to meet the manager of the creche, explain the situation and ask is there anything else that they could do instead of the shouting and screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Buy a plug in timer and a really powerful PA system, have it play the most offensive rap music you can find at high volumes during those times, they'll send the kids in.

Or throw water balloons at them..... (up to you how many of them are filled with piss) :pac:

but seriously. OP try have a word with the creche, there is nothing more annoying than being near a creche / playground / school yard full of kids early in the morning, id take a nightclub any day over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Its 8;30 till 9 am and allowing the preschool children out in the fresh air . What is there to complain about ?

The noise level. I thought it was fairly well explained that this was the issue and reason for the post. Did you read the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

Probably the only thing to be done is to go to the manager of the creche and say 'Hi sorry to bother you, but I live in one of the apartments nearby and because I do shift work I am normally trying to sleep at 9am - I fully appreciate that the children at the creche need to be taken out at some point, but would appreciate if any accommodation could be made to have it happen later in the day, or perhaps not happen on certain days?'. Unfortunately kids are never going to be quiet even without the creche workers encouraging them to scream, so there's no point in asking them to keep the noise down, the best you can do is move it to a different time.

I'm not sure if you had an opportunity to lodge an objection to the planning application for the creche, but that would have been your opportunity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭denismc

There must be some planning restrictions that prevent commercial units being used adjacent to private accommodation. I would talk to the creche operators first and explain the situation.
    If they aren't being helpful then contact your local council, it seems odd that they are operating a creche in a residential building, there are restrictions on changing a residential unit to a commercial one.

From citizens advice website:
    For example, you will need planning permission if you propose to:

Convert your garage into a workshop for business use

Establish a creche

Open a bed and breakfast with more than 4 guest bedrooms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

denismc wrote: »
    There must be some planning restrictions that prevent commercial units being used adjacent to private accommodation. I would talk to the creche operators first and explain the situation.
    If they aren't being helpful then contact your local council, it seems odd that they are operating a creche in a residential building, there are restrictions on changing a residential unit to a commercial one.

From citizens advice website:
    For example, you will need planning permission if you propose to:

Convert your garage into a workshop for business use

Establish a creche

Open a bed and breakfast with more than 4 guest bedrooms

The creche would not be a residential unit. It would be a commercial unit. Many residential complexes have commercial units such as a Spar shop. Some were cleverly built with purposed creches. Great for people living in the area with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

denismc wrote:
    There must be some planning restrictions that prevent commercial units being used adjacent to private accommodation. I would talk to the creche operators first and explain the situation. If they aren't being helpful then contact your local council, it seems odd that they are operating a creche in a residential building, there are restrictions on changing a residential unit to a commercial one.

The creche has full planning permission. They are doing nothing wrong. Most creches are in residential buildings with full planning and regulations. Council can't remove planning permission.

OP needs to look at triple glazing or sound proof windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

khaldrogo wrote: »
    The noise level. I thought it was fairly well explained that this was the issue and reason for the post. Did you read the OP?

And did you read the thread ? I apologised for misunderstanding the OP . I took it the kids were only out between 8:30 snd 9:00 .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They see who can shout the loudest, they chase them and make them run etc... it is absolutely crazy.

I work a lot of very late shifts and full night shifts. I just cannot sleep. Window vents completely shut, double layered ear plugs, nothing works. The noise level is too high.
    Have you considered white noise?

Get some music that you enjoy, and have that playing in the background. For example; bach, iron maiden, or as Eric Cartman has said; rap. If it has offensive material, that's unfortunate, but be careful, as someone may complain saying it's anti-social.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I could think of worst sounds than children playing

I can think of worse deaths than gassing. :confused:

I would wager that all the people saying "tough luck" to the op are parents themselves. It's amazing how parents are blind to the disruption and downright annoyance kids can cause while they are just "doing what kids do".

We don't live in a 9-5 world anymore, people work nights, they work shift and they work from home. A crèche should not be build in a complex like this as it is guaranteed to cause disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I paid attention yesterday and today bringing a child to creche . The creche yard is part of an apartment complex . Its not in a courtyard but is the ground floor of a three story block
    The kids were in the yard with three teachers . The teachers were calm and quiet and the kids were playing with outdoor toys . They calmly stopped any mad running or screaming and guided the kids to the toys or playhouse
    I see no reason whatsoever why any creche carer would encourage screaming and shouting . It shows a complete lack of awareness on the workers side . Kids do not need encouragement to scream .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I would wager that all the people saying "tough luck" to the op are parents themselves. It's amazing how parents are blind to the disruption and downright annoyance kids can cause while they are just "doing what kids do".

We don't live in a 9-5 world anymore, people work nights, they work shift and they work from home. A crèche should not be build in a complex like this as it is guaranteed to cause disruption.

People are forgetting that most little kids only go to crèche because most of their their parents work 9-5. The OP could have just as easly ended up in a block with stay at home children doing what kids do.

Most blocks with commercial units have had the permission as part of the original application. If the local council are focused on density for good land use, any purchaser should examine the complex with an eye as to where the commercial services will end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If you want to have proper planning and neighborhoods that function a bit better than just places where people go to sleep then you need proper community services. That involves schools, creches, shops, sports clubs, playgrounds and similar. I have no idea how op's neighborhood was designed and it's quite likely that the cheapest option was picked without proper consideration for noise and no proper sound proofing of the buildings. Kids can cause annoyance, so do farmers with their tractors, people mowing the lawn and so on. it's part of living in the community and unless kids are actively encouraged to scream (which is crazy) noise is part of life during the day hours. That being said, I am pretty sure anyone checking plans would know creche is planned for the neighborhood (most likely the building was part of planning conditions). I can't see what can be done except trying to talk to creche. Very often noise management is done by community, I know of estate where moving grass is permitted only on Wednesday afternoons. But you can't expect creche will keep kids inside because someone has trouble sleeping through the day.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Megaphone out the window, and "SHUT UP!" ;)

Before going to see them though, start keeping a detailed log either on paper or electronically and bring it with you. It'll be a record of specific nuisances and having it with you will show them you're serious about making them sort the problem out.

Advertisement