Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

My SKX011J1 in its natural habitat :D

449818.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From the sublime to the ridiculous, or at least the odd. :D I've always been a fan of modernism in the arts, design and tech even before I knew what it meant. A period that avoided nostalgia and made the Future™ the thing and something to look forward to, rather than worried about. A period that could be usefully, if conveniently bookended by the opening of the Eiffel Tower in 1887 to the opening of the Pompidou Centre in 1977. And also from France from 1975 this LIP quartz watch I'm wearing today.

449869.jpg

LIP were the mainstream French watch, with a fair few innovations(namely the practical electric watch), but mostly the everyday people's watch. The Renault of French watches as it were, but at this stage in the game in the face of flagging sales they became more like the Citroen of French watches. I.E wacky and innovative. To that end they enlisted outside designers to inject new ideas in how the wristwatch should look. This was innovative, as watch design had with a vanishingly few exceptions been in house and aimed squarely at the solid suburban traditional. One of these designers was one Roger Tallon. Bit of background on the chap here. Responsible for things like the high speed French TGV train's design and some early Concorde interiors among other things. He looked at the humble wristwatch and as those old Apple computer ads said ungrammatically decided to "think different".

This particular example houses LIP's own in house developed quartz movement. One helluva feat at the time and a rare working survivor these days. This example is rarer still as it has a silvered outside chapter ring and the only one I've seen. I actually saw and hankered after it first on this great website that is a fantastic resource of early electric/quartz watches. Life can be funny sometimes, because that very watch on that page is the one on my wrist pictured above as the chap sold it to me a few years ago.

The irony now is that the "Post Modernist" Hipsters love them... I would say that its one of the few watches I wear that normal people actually notice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

^^not sure what to make of that watch...I think I like it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wouldn't surprise me TBH. LIP had a mechanical chronograph version that was popular and sold well outside of France, particularly in the US and Japan so might have influenced the Alien watch. Interestingly like the LIP the Seiko was another watch designed by a designer brought in from outside the industry, in that case renowned Italian car designer Giugiaro. His CV includes cars like the first VW Golf and the DeLorean and Lotus Espirit and a few Ferrari's and Maserati's. So pretty good with the crayons is he. Though I suspect another watch that had influence was the Omega PloProf of the early 1970's, particularly in the design of the button on the square side.

OMEGAPLOPROF-01.jpg

If the PloProf and the LIP had a child it would look like the Ripley watch. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

I was going to say the same as blue500, some have just been re-released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

So I knew browsing here would be a slippery slope. The massdrop Glycine I picked up last year was a pretty rational intro to proper (not plastic, quartz, swatch or garmin) watches. That watch has surprised me by becoming my daily wear.

So far I’ve managed to not buy any of the Steinharts, Max Bills or Hamiltons that I could easily convince myself I really need, the Nomos’s or Speedmasters I really, really want, or the many lovely watches of the ‘Today’s bargain watch...’ thread despite strong temptation.

Then I fell for an old Seiko 7000 series, for no more reason than it’s the same age as me. We’re both a little rough around the edges, have a few marks that come from being around since 1974, but we’re both still running. It’s been a bit over polished in places, but it’s putting its best face forward. It’s a lovely wee thing. It’s so small compared to most modern watches, but I’m kinda liking that, I catch glimpses of it being small and shiny and well, jewellery like. Oh, and it was cheap, cheaper than a modern Seiko 5.

450032.jpeg

Fierce pleased altogether :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Seiko Saturday

450080.jpg

You really can't go wrong with Seiko. Great watches from a company with a history and consistent quality that many highfalutin Swiss brands with equally highfalutin prices and ad campaigns would kill for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

A few minutes of sunlight and my trusty Apollon sparkles!

450159.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Wibbs wrote: »
    You really can't go wrong with Seiko. Great watches from a company with a history and consistent quality that many highfalutin Swiss brands with equally highfalutin prices and ad campaigns would kill for.

So long as you like misaligned chapter rings... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Seiko Bell-Matic 4006 6020 27 Jewels from January 1970 on a lovely sunny Sunday.Loads of really great watches posted on here.
    y6BQ3qB.jpg?1

Not mine..... my Dad is 70 in a few months so bought him this earlier today....it'll live in the box until the big day :)

It's similar to an ecodrive I got him the first Christmas I was working full time & he loved that so fingers crossed he likes it.

450222.jpg

....cheers Wibbs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

[IMG][/img]x2ujd3.jpg
    Living with my ocean gmt vintage steinhart for a week now.. Think the strap is a fraction tight. Like it very much.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

With the sun being out I tried an orange Crafter Blue strap on my 777 Turtle. Beautiful strap if anyone is on the fence.

Seiko SRP777J

5IRdDYV.jpg

With the rest of it's family

wK6sTDi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭893bet

I am wearing this the last week. Was supposed to meet a potential buyer the weekend but it was late notice and I couldn't fit it in.

The depth of this dial is incredible. Forgotten how nice it is!

Withdrawing from sale!

2quusqu.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

450320.jpg

Steiny getting down and dirty on the tractor:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

893bet wrote: »
    I am wearing this the last week. Was supposed to meet a potential buyer the weekend but it was late notice and I couldn't fit it in.

The depth of this dial is incredible. Forgotten how nice it is!

Withdrawing from sale!

Apologies for asking but what model is the watch? Looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Seamaster is lovely. What roughly would you have taken for it btw?
    I like the idea of the one watch collection; a quality piece that can do a job for many situations. That seamaster is definitely in that bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've had mine for about 18 months and can count on one hand the number of days that I've not worn it. Feeling sorry for the other watches in the collection at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I had a speedmaster pro which i semi destroyed on a drunken night in Ireland. Its running hours fast a day and needs to be repaired so I'm down to my rolex. Its versatile and I actually like only using it as I'm never winding dead watches due to its automatic movement.

Apologies for asking but what model is the watch? Looks class

Omega skyfall Aqua terra. 231.10.39.21.03.001

Known as the "skyfall" as it was in the movie.
    Seamaster is lovely. What roughly would you have taken for it btw?
    I like the idea of the one watch collection; a quality piece that can do a job for many situations. That seamaster is definitely in that bracket.

Last week I would prob have let it go for 2.4k ...and been annoyed at myself!

Note:not fishing for offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Talking of Seamasters, is this one I spy here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

You could photo shop the little prick out of it first lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

893bet wrote: »
    Omega skyfall Aqua terra. 231.10.39.21.03.001

Known as the "skyfall" as it was in the movie.

Last week I would prob have let it go for 2.4k ...and been annoyed at myself!

Note:not fishing for offers!

I'd buy it on installments over 2 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Yeah, he's had that for 20 odd years. I've never seen another watch on him....

Maybe this is the watch that he wears in front of the plebs and keeps the patek for his dinners away from the cameras.....

I'd buy it on installments over 2 years :)

Your PMs are full!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Having sold both my Oris Aquis, I had my eye on another - the limited edition Clipperton which has a really nice gradient blue dial (which is almost black at the outer edges)..here's a quick wrist shot:

45LEyBr.jpg

The bracelet is very well finished and is very comfortable on the wrist. Don't think it'll ever see the bottom of the ocean though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Oris doing some nice watches arent they
    That Divers 65 reissue out now is gorgeous too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement