Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLARS

Options
  • 23-04-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

So SLAR season seems to be upon us! Does the whole dept have to be present or just the teachers involved? Am I correct in saying they start within school time & may run over? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Icsics wrote: »
    So SLAR season seems to be upon us! Does the whole dept have to be present or just the teachers involved? Am I correct in saying they start within school time & may run over? Thanks
    Must start within school time i.e. last period. All faculty members should be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

paddybarry wrote: »
    Must start within school time i.e. last period. All faculty members should be present.

Thanks paddybarry. Is it compulsory for all, even if they don’t have that group?

Icsics wrote: »
    Thanks paddybarry. Is it compulsory for all, even if they don’t have that group?

Im not sure. All members should be there as they need to familiarise themselves with process of correcting the cba and role of facilitator which is to be rotated.

Some schools could have 10 plus in a faculty. May be difficult to release all teachers for last period.

If so, facilitator and teachers with classes doing cba should start in school with others joining after school. Easy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Im not sure. All members should be there as they need to familiarise themselves with process of correcting the cba and role of facilitator which is to be rotated.

Some schools could have 10 plus in a faculty. May be difficult to release all teachers for last period.

If so, facilitator and teachers with classes doing cba should start in school with others joining after school. Easy solution.

Yes, that's what I thought. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Where does it state this? We got nothing from Dept saying this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No it doesn't have to be all faculty members present, but they can if they want.
    It really only concerns those doing the assessing (which of course could be 'all faculty members').
    facilitator should ensure that each teacher has at least one of their samples discussed during the meeting.
    from HERE
    So I would take it from that that only the teachers present -i.e. 'each teacher'- are undergoing the assessing.

From what I got from in-service meetings: In the case of one teacher then they should join with another school. If I remember correctly there should be at least 3 teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

TheDriver wrote: »

It doesn’t. There is typical lack of clarity within the circular about the start time & as a SLAR meeting is to take 2 hours it’s akmost impossible to have teachers with that block of free classes during the day. We’re doing ours during the summer house exams which does make it possible as the teachers won’t be on supervision during the SLAR meeting.

The only teachers participating in the SLAR meetings will be the 2nd year subject teachers who will be sharing samples of their students CBAs. If other teachers want to watch I’m sure that’s fine but they certainly don’t need to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thats not going to work where teachers have to meet from different schools.... The lack of clarity is awful

This is ASTI stance. It was sent to all stewards. Pretty sure I read that all dept member should be present and/or it was said at in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

https://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/School_Stewards_Letter_re._SLAR_Meetings.pdf This is what asti sent out to school stewards about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Nellieelephant

A further clarification relating to SLAR meetings was provided by the department of Education and Skills to ASTI in December 2015. It stated as follows:
    “The Department confirms that any attempt to impose the organisation of SLAR meetings entirely outside school hours would contravene the agreement. The intention is that SLAR meetings will be scheduled to commence within the timetable, involving the inclusion of a normal timetabled period. However, given the required duration [approximately two hours per meeting], flexibility to run beyond the normal school day for some of the duration of the meeting is required. ”
    ASTI has already raised this matter at the Junior Cycle Implementation Body and has insisted that the provisions of the agreement must be adhered to in all schools.

Let’s not be fools - start in school time! Thank you! The Dept signed off on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

i signed up to a SLAR information meeting.

I have a half day.

Its on from 3pm to 5pm o my half day

I wont be going

We are walking ourselves into teacher burnout. Meetings about meetings. Half days gone. Webinars. Twitter overload. Extra curricular will be dead. Maybe when the GAA can’t run -someone might shout stop. I would nearly prefer to correct my own than deal with overbearing colleagues. I am on a one person strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I've seen this on ASTI literature but not on TUI stuff. Lots of discussion about this at mo.

Edited to say I now see your clarification above.

Would appreciate if anybody posts a link if they find anything from TUI.

I've seen this on ASTI literature but not on TUI stuff. Lots of discussion about this at mo.

Edited to say I now see your clarification above.

Would appreciate if anybody posts a link if they find anything from TUI.

Ask head office for clarification. The document is called appendix Joint Statement on Principles and Implementation 2015. Signed off by Gerry Quinn TUI. A limited number of meeting may run beyond tutition time. Hence they all should start in school time. 9.7 on document.

https://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/Junior_Cycle_Appendix_Professional_Time_14Jul2015_Final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ask head office for clarification. The document is called appendix Joint Statement on Principles and Implementation 2015. Signed off by Gerry Quinn TUI. A limited number of meeting may run beyond tutition time. Hence they all should start in school time. 9.7 on document.

https://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/Junior_Cycle_Appendix_Professional_Time_14Jul2015_Final.pdf

They can start when everyone is off. If that before or after last bell is no odds according to the circulars regarding the use of professional time. The 40 min reduction in tutition is what covers is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

In our school it's definitely only those teachers involved who will be at SLAR meetings. It would be a logistical nightmare to try and get everyone there.

dory wrote: »
    In our school it's definitely only those teachers involved who will be at SLAR meetings. It would be a logistical nightmare to try and get everyone there.

Why cant meeting start period before end of school with class teachers and facilitator with other members joining after school?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Why cant meeting start period before end of school with class teachers and facilitator with other members joining after school?

Mostly because they don't want to.

This was brought up at an ASTI meeting recently and it was said that only those involved have to go.

If all teachers involved in the SLAR are off during that period it can start. But you’re not allowed ask for S&S to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc_17 wrote: »
    If all teachers involved in the SLAR are off during that period it can start. But you’re not allowed ask for S&S to be used.

I think there might be some movement on that. That's what we were told by the rep who asked the ASTI for clarification. Doubt it'll be resolved this year though.

I think there might be some movement on that. That's what we were told by the rep who asked the ASTI for clarification. Doubt it'll be resolved this year though.

The reduction in Teaching to 21h20 gives 20 mins of professional time. Two hour SLARs take place when all teachers who were involved in the CBA agree that it takes place. There is no place for S&S as this would add workload to other teachers not involved in the SLARs. Paid substitution would be great but no way the dept would agree to that. In reality they should only take 1hr from what I’ve heard from colleagues who have them completed.

There is a 2 hour slot available for the SLAR faciliatator, one teacher only, that has paid substitution available.

The reduction in Teaching to 21h20 gives 20 mins of professional time. .

60min-20min = 40mins :D

(sorry doc)

The reduction in Teaching to 21h20 gives 20 mins of professional time. Two hour SLARs take place when all teachers who were involved in the CBA agree that it takes place. There is no place for S&S as this would add workload to other teachers not involved in the SLARs. Paid substitution would be great but no way the dept would agree to that. In reality they should only take 1hr from what I’ve heard from colleagues who have them completed.

There is a 2 hour slot available for the SLAR faciliatator, one teacher only, that has paid substitution available.

Thats the key, there is no S&S/hours available, the 40 mins per week is meant to include these meetings. Its grand to state when they should start but the end result is that professional time is supposed to facilitate the meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Thats the key, there is no S&S/hours available, the 40 mins per week is meant to include these meetings. Its grand to state when they should start but the end result is that professional time is supposed to facilitate the meetings.

ASTI said, and I quote, "management's problem". Circular is quite clear, under no circumstances should a SLAR begin outside school hours. Professional time does not obligate staying beyond school hours.

All stakeholders except the ASTI signed off on the new junior cert. Isnt it ironic that the ASTI now seems to be the only one thats trying ensure correct implementation? Where were management's questions and requests for clarifications when they were signing off on this nonsense?

Agree 100%.

ASTI said, and I quote, "management's problem". Circular is quite clear, under no circumstances should a SLAR begin outside school hours. Professional time does not obligate staying beyond school hours.

All stakeholders except the ASTI signed off on the new junior cert. Isnt it ironic that the ASTI now seems to be the only one thats trying ensure correct implementation? Where were management's questions and requests for clarifications when they were signing off on this nonsense?

What circular is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

What circular is this?

0015 - 2017

Absolutely managements problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭amacca

What about schools that finish at different times different days?

OH finishes some days at 4:25 and other days at 3:45...she was told by management start SLAR at 3:45 on the days school finishes at 3:45 as this is within school time......what are peoples feelings on this......just curious she wouldn't begrudge it but she is also reluctant to set a precedent/piss people off

Advertisement