Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Doesn't Ireland's 5% rape conviction rate give us a big concern also?

Hasn't this been debunked loads of times already?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That's not how it works.

500k the bold Paddy spent. Will be lucky to get even a small percentage of it back.

He'll be a few years playing in France to break even and that's before you consider all the losses he will suffer due to the toxicity of his 'brand'.

Tough lesson for him to learn - hopefully other young men will take note and learn some lessons from this too.

Won't take him too long at all to hit that amount given the hefty money he'll be taking in from the IRFU, new team, and the BBC. French sponsors won't care too much if Mary from Port Laoise writes an angry tweet about them once before she moves onto her next thing to be outraged at and forgets all about Paddy Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I like men...outside Ireland. Very happy where I am right now

So are we

Has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to midland missus?

givyjoe wrote: »

Has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to midland missus?
    Yea, poor old Apples had that thrown at her in the last thread. It is striking alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is that like ALL men in Ireland?
    Every single one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

mfceiling wrote: »
    Is that like ALL men in Ireland?
    Every single one of them?

I'd say they've dodged a bullet.

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Muff Richardson II

Just a wild guess but I’d say you like Pringles and ice cream too whether they are Irish or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

When you say ireland do you mean the island or the country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Just a wild guess but I’d say you like Pringles and ice cream too whether they are Irish or not?

Lol you soo cheeky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Jesus, thanks a lot! I think you'll find the percentage of decent ones and less so breaks down evenly regardless of nationality.

Maybe instead of Mná na h-Eireann it's time for Fir na h-Eireann to receive equal respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Mental Boy wrote: »
    What this comes down to is alcohol. Not long ago I came close to committing what some might consider rape. Basically ended up back a female friend's house, we're both hammered, sitting on the couch. I'm kissing her and touching her, she seems into it. So far so good.

Next I'm taking her clothes off and something seems to flip in her and she shouts at me to get away. It takes me a second or two to register this. Anyway I stopped and I'm glad because I can be a bit of an animal when drinking but I can see how lads can get into trouble.

Very very brave admission I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Doesn't Ireland's 5% rape conviction rate give us a big concern also?

Not surprising given some of the nonsense cases we see before the courts.

It's always assumed that because there is a low conviction rate, that something is wrong with the justice system and needs to be remedied to make it higher, but why automatically think that. Surely the focus should be on only bringing cases to court that have a good chance of being proven. Do that and without question the conviction rate would rise.

One retired judge said on the issue of low conviction rates:
    "It is an inevitable fact of it being one person's word against another, and the burden of proof being that you have to be sure before you convict.

"I will also say, and I will be pilloried for saying so, but the rape conviction statistics will not improve until women stop getting so drunk.

"I'm not saying it's right to rape a drunken woman, I'm not saying for a moment that it's allowable to take advantage of a drunken woman.

"But a jury in a position where they've got a woman who says 'I was absolutely off my head, I can't really remember what I was doing, I can't remember what I said, I can't remember if I consented or not but I know I wouldn't have done'.

I mean when a jury is faced with something like that, how are they supposed to react?"

And I think she makes a good point. I'd like to see the stats on how many trials that don't result in a conviction involve both parties having consumed large amounts of alcohol. As the the judge suggests, it's a tall order tasking a jury with the responsibility of deciding if one person has raped the other when both of them have been drunk. Makes the low conviction rate perfectly understandably when you consider that they need to be sure beyond reasonable doubt.

You're just victim blaming here Pete!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Not surprising given some of the nonsense cases we see before the courts.

It's always assumed that because there is a low conviction rate, that something is wrong with the justice system and needs to be remedied to make it higher, but why automatically think that. Surely the focus should be on only bringing cases to court that have a good chance of being proven. Do that and without question the conviction rate would rise.

One retired judge said on the issue of low conviction rates:

And I think she makes a good point. I'd like to see the stats on how many trials that don't result in a conviction involve both parties having consumed large amounts of alcohol. As the the judge suggests, it's a tall order tasking a jury with the responsibility of deciding if one person has raped the other when both of them have been drunk. Makes the low conviction rate perfectly understandably when you consider that they need to be sure beyond reasonable doubt.

Common sense one would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Frowned upon by quite alot around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Not for the feminazi brigade unfortunately - I started a thread about this when it happened and the reaction was predominantly ‘she’s victim blaming’

As a woman I see nothing wrong with teaching our daughters to be careful where you go and whom you go with on a night and that getting so drunk you don’t know yourself whether you consented or not is not a good idea.

I also see nothing wrong with teaching them to take responsibility for their own choices instead of putting all the onus on men.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Not for the feminazi brigade unfortunately - I started a thread about this when it happened and the reaction was predominantly ‘she’s victim blaming’

As a woman I see nothing wrong with teaching our daughters to be careful where you go and whom you go with on a night and that getting so drunk you don’t know yourself whether you consented or not is not a good idea.

I also see nothing wrong with teaching them to take responsibility for their own choices instead of putting all the onus on men.

I would argue ditto for guys tbh-like, we all know the violent drunken idiot-male or female. And more than one story of 'I couldn't remember the night before'.
    I'm lucky-my drinking escapades were always 'vomited into the toilet the whole night' after drinking too much. I generally remember the night, embarassing as it may have been.

But yes, teach people to be safe-drinking included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

I would argue ditto for guys tbh-like, we all know the violent drunken idiot-male or female. And more than one story of 'I couldn't remember the night before'.
    I'm lucky-my drinking escapades were always 'vomited into the toilet the whole night' after drinking too much. I generally remember the night, embarassing as it may have been.

But yes, teach people to be safe-drinking included.

I would also like to say that the way young women dress (or forget to dress) is absolutely appalling! I’m NOT SAYING THEY ARE ASKING FOR TROUBLE before the feminazi brigade start spewing about rights and equality etc BUUUUUUT if they are going out with their wares on display like it or not they’re sending a message albeit unconsciously!! If men went out so scantily clad one thinks they’d be done for indecent exposure
    Add that to drink & drugs etc on both sides - yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

skearnsot wrote: »
    I would also like to say that the way young women dress (or forget to dress) is absolutely appalling! I’m NOT SAYING THEY ARE ASKING FOR TROUBLE before the feminazi brigade start spewing about rights and equality etc BUUUUUUT if they are going out with their wares on display like it or not they’re sending a message albeit unconsciously!! If men went out so scantily clad one thinks they’d be done for indecent exposure
    Add that to drink & drugs etc on both sides - yikes

Oh completely-they wear these outfits that are too revealing-and they're not even 18, makes it all the more disturbing.

Much of it is probably influenced by music videos and so on-where everything is staged even if the scantily clad women are dressed as such, the security guards are around, and if someone makes an untoward movement on a scantily clad woman...prepare for a beatdown.
    Girls don't have that protection in the outside world.
    Horrible as it is to say that. There are jerks out there.

You tell people to be careful on something like an elevator or an escalator-to wear a seatbelt and so on. It's not impractical to warn people to be safe. It's not blaming them, it's warning people that even if 99 people hear the message, only one not listening is enough to end a life (talking about seatbelts here).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

sporina wrote: »
    you asked about messages that Jackson sent in a previous post

he obviously sent inappropriate messages if he is apologizing for same

And you decided to quote the entire post, most of which was completely unrelated? You also did not show me the messages from Jackson. I believe there was one and only one. The apology was already discussed and the reasons it was released, so I won’t get into that again other than to say the mob needed appeasing.
    How would Olding know anything on: eight cans of Carlsberg beer, four pints of Guinness, two gins, five vodka and lemonades and three shots of tequila and Sambuca.

Apples...your back....and still refusing to answer the questions I have put to you regarding your hypocratic posts between this thread and the Donegal thread where a woman is suing the estate of a dead family. Money which belongs to the sole surviving 2 year old girl.
    They have launched a review into all sexual assault trials in Ireland.

Great. Maybe the conviction rates will rise dramatically when they realise they are bringing forward weak cases where there is almost no prospect of a conviction and where the likelihood the allegation was false.
    Squatter wrote: »
    Indeed. The innocent Ulster taxpayers should pick up Paddy's tab.

Do you reckon that they should also have to pay for Paddy's father's £1,000 car parking bill?

Jacksons father wasn’t on trial. He can pay for his own parking. However, the tax payer in Ulster might make some noise and force some change. Innocent people should not have to pay a cent. The state should be paying for bringing forward weak ass cases which are going to result in an acquittal.

And yet you say you insisted on waiting outside your colleagues apartment, presumably because he might have raped you. Sounds like you’re happy alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

goz83 wrote: »
    Jacksons father wasn’t on trial. He can pay for his own parking. However, the tax payer in Ulster might make some noise and force some change. Innocent people should not have to pay a cent. The state should be paying for bringing forward weak ass cases which are going to result in an acquittal.
    If someone on the top of Kinnahan clan goes before the courts, armed with team of top solicitors and gets off on a procedural mistake, the state should cover his legal cost?

I don't care if part of Paddy Jackson's cists are covered but it should be capped at minimum legal fees not at what you pay for top solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

meeeeh wrote: »
    If someone on the top of Kinnahan clan goes before the courts, armed with team of top solicitors and gets off on a procedural mistake, the state should cover his legal cost?

I don't care if part of Paddy Jackson's cists are covered but it should be capped at minimum legal fees not at what you pay for top solicitors.

If the prosecution is armed with a strong team, then so too should the defence be. A free legal aid type team is not acceptable. if the prosecution has a strong case and gets a conviction, the state pays no fees for the defence. if they bring a weak case which fails, then it pays. This would discourage weak cases being brought forward and would result in higher conviction rates. win-win.

I also would be in favour of a convicted person being billed for the prosecution costs and where they cant afford it, they can work off the debt to society in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

1. safety, there is no problem about safety awareness provided it is aimed at every one both men and woman it should not only be about a woman being safe, men can just as easily get into dangerous situations because of excessive drinking. That is the difference between victim blaming and education about safety.

Teaching how to say no without explaining is a good thing for men, women, and children. It starts with explaining and giving permission to children to say no to a kiss or hug if they want to without having to explain.

2. They were found not guilty, the censure and effect on their career comes not from the trial but from their snap chat messages which indicated a strand of thinking about woman that both Ulster and Irish rugby did not want to be associated with.

And as far as I know girls are already taught that and sexual violence still happens. Maybe we should lock the girls home, so they won't be able to ignore the advice.

Or maybe just maybe we should also teach people that sexual violence is simply not acceptable even if a girl dressed proactively, even if someone is totally drunk and even if someone goes with you to your house.

I have no doubt there are false rape allegations when someone is completely drunk and possibly cheats or is just remorseful next morning. Men could be victims of those allegations, so what should we advise them? Not to drink and impare their judgement, not to look attractive, to accept the responsibility for finding themselves in that situation...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what's happened here. People seem to think that by sacking them, the IRFU is saying they're guilty of rape after the court found them not guilty. That's not the case.

What a lot of people seem to have trouble with getting their heads around is that just because you aren't guilty of rape, doesn't mean you're not guilty of anything else. You don't need to be convicted of a crime for your employer to find grounds for dismissal.

Their conduct was appalling and they've admitted as much in their statements after the case. That's why they were let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I noticed today that I did something different because of this thread. My colleague asked to go for a walk with me today, to a river.

On the way he asked to stop at his appartment to pick up something. I said, ok, I will wait for you outside. And I did.

I realise, especially after reading some of the comments on this thread, "she shouldnt have gone to his house" etc., that I am not safe going into a man's appartment, and that I must protect myself.

All of this definitely happened.

goz83 wrote: »
    If the prosecution is armed with a strong team, then so too should the defence be. A free legal aid type team is not acceptable. if the prosecution has a strong case and gets a conviction, the state pays no fees for the defence. if they bring a weak case which fails, then it pays. This would discourage weak cases being brought forward and would result in higher conviction rates. win-win.

I also would be in favour of a convicted person being billed for the prosecution costs and where they cant afford it, they can work off the debt to society in other ways.

Oh come on you will get a local druggie who gets convicted for peddling drugs and petty theft to pay the bill for prosecution? I'd like to see that.

Also if state has to pay for top defence it will rack up legal fees even more, do you want your taxes to pay for an army of Kinnahan solicitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what's happened here. People seem to think that by sacking them, the IRFU is saying they're guilty of rape after the court found them not guilty. That's not the case.

What a lot of people seem to have trouble with getting their heads around is that just because you aren't guilty of rape, doesn't mean you're not guilty of anything else. You don't need to be convicted of a crime for your employer to find grounds for dismissal.

Their conduct was appalling and they've admitted as much in their statements after the case. That's why they were let go.

It is disturbing that non-criminal private behaviour outside their job can result in someone losing their job.

But if they’re not all misogynistic rapists wherever you are (cloud cuckoo land would by my guess btw) why did you feel the need to wait outside your co-worker’s place in a place outside Ireland, where the men know how to treat women.

I noticed today that I did something different because of this thread. My colleague asked to go for a walk with me today, to a river.

On the way he asked to stop at his appartment to pick up something. I said, ok, I will wait for you outside. And I did.

I realise, especially after reading some of the comments on this thread, "she shouldnt have gone to his house" etc., that I am not safe going into a man's appartment, and that I must protect myself.

Unless you’re telling porkies...

• Advertisement

skearnsot wrote: »
    I would also like to say that the way young women dress (or forget to dress) is absolutely appalling! I’m NOT SAYING THEY ARE ASKING FOR TROUBLE before the feminazi brigade start spewing about rights and equality etc BUUUUUUT if they are going out with their wares on display like it or not they’re sending a message albeit unconsciously!! If men went out so scantily clad one thinks they’d be done for indecent exposure.

Gonna have to disagree here. I abhor these radical feminist as much as the next person but women should be allowed to wear whatever they want. You can personally find it horrid or classless but basically saying they’re sending out a “come and get me” message isn’t right. If anyone looks at a girl and thinks that, the problem is within themselves. Now I’ve often looked at a girl in a busty or tight outfit and thought DAMN!!!! but never did I think oh she’s looking for it off me or anyone else. She might be a very confident and proud of her image, she might be the opposite and trying to make up for low esteem, she might enjoy attention or she might just bloody like the clothes but I don’t agree with that “sending a message” idea ,as pertains to the subject matter of this thread. What someone is wearing is never an excuse for unwanted touching or comments to them. You can obviously say to your mate “ah the hack of your one there” but nothing gives anyone the right to say something actually to the girl just because she’s wearing whatever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement