Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frying pan

Options
  • 11-04-2017 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a good frying pan, I've bought pans advertised as being non stick in the past that turned out to be duff. Can anybody recommend a good brand/model preferably with a ceramic coating.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: I've moved this from the Cooking Club into the food forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

Bourgeat pans and pots not ceramic though,best pans you can buy and not expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

coleslaw wrote: »
    Bourgeat pans and pots not ceramic though,best pans you can buy and not expensive

Whilst mighty impressed initially with my ceramic frying pan, it didn't last long and is now just a regular pan that yuou have to oil etc......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

My ceramic pan didn't live up to the promises either and I mollycoddled that thing like no other. I won't buy any so-called non-stick pans now, instead I've gone back to my old cast-iron pan for searing steaks and use IKEA's stainless steel pans, they do two sizes and they work for me. Heat them up dry first and then add some oil, let that heat up before adding the food and the pans pretty much release for turning when the first side is done and nicely browned. I'm just not spending money on these non-stick things again, no matter how careful you are, they eventually DO stick and they shed goodness knows what into the food as the coating fails and flakes off. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I too have given up on my ceramic pans, mine is now relegated to pizza duty.

I actually love my Ikea non-stick pan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I just pick up whatever is on offer in TKMaxx. Non stick pans aren't meant to last forever, so buy at a price you'd be happy disposing of in 3 years. Got a ceramic pan there recently, bit annoyed by having to chase things across the pan to turn them, but it's super non-stick for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

I bought a circulon ( guaranteed non stick) ang I'm thrilled with it have it about 8 months now .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As the missus works in IKEA I bought some non-stick pans from there. I didn't find them great so bought a set of 3 from Tefal in TK Maxx-. Absolutely delighted with the quality and many years later they are still as good as the day I bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I bought a Tefal non-sticking pan in Tesco about 8 months ago and it's still perfect. I don't know wheter it will eventually end up sticking, but so far so good. What I do is to scrub it only with the soft side of the sponge, never the hard one. I don't know whether this will be useful for anyone. I used to scrub my non-sticking pans with the hard side of the sponge just as all the crockery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

janja wrote: »
    I bought a circulon ( guaranteed non stick) ang I'm thrilled with it have it about 8 months now .

I loved my Circulon pan so much I bought a whole set of pots. Then I overheated the pan one day and it was never non stick again. Then someone left a pot on the hob overnight and killed it. We couldn't get the smell out of the house for a week.

I then bought a pair of cast iron pans (one flat and one griddle). I seasoned them with flax seed oil over a really hot BBQ and it is as non stick as you would ever need and will last forever. This site has all the info: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/. I also bought some manly old antique ones on adverts. Been meaning to season them too. Must get round to it. Pots are currently getting replaced with Stainless steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Look on Amazon for De Buyer frying pans.
    They're professional quality pans and will last a lifetime.
    They need to be seasoned before use, this takes about 10 minutes. Then just rub a little bit of oil into them after washing and you'll have non stick pans that'll last forever.
    I have 5 or 6 in different sizes, stocked up on them at very good prices.
    e.g. Here a huge one(36cm) for £10, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buyer-Coupe-Lyonnaise-Frying-Sheet/dp/B000ECOFQO/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1494324914&sr=1-4&keywords=de%2Bbuyer%2Bfrying%2Bpan&th=1

A more normal sized one 24cm is £15.
    They should be multiples of that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

They have those small, non-stick pans in Aldi for 8.99 at the moment. They are tripple coated in non-stick stuff. They seem quite good - I have bought 2 and will probably go again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

dos30 wrote: »
    I have 5 or 6 in different sizes, stocked up on them at very good prices.
    e.g. Here a huge one(36cm) for £10, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buyer-Coupe-Lyonnaise-Frying-Sheet/dp/B000ECOFQO/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1494324914&sr=1-4&keywords=de%2Bbuyer%2Bfrying%2Bpan&th=1

A more normal sized one 24cm is £15.
    They should be multiples of that price.

They are now! Coming in at 26 euro

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Forget all these non-stick fads. Buy a proper heavy stainless steel pan and be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Not a fad though, once seasoned properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jaysus, I'm awful to my non-stick pans, if stuff burns on I scrape it off, I put it in the dishwasher, and scour it with the rough side of the sponge. My little one is on the go the best part of 10 years now, and still better than my new ceramic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Forget all these non-stick fads. Buy a proper heavy stainless steel pan and be done.

I have a small cast iron one, it takes a while to heat up and I find that eggs stick to it. It weighs a tonne, it's a great workout for the forearms.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I have a small cast iron one, it takes a while to heat up and I find that eggs stick to it. It weighs a tonne, it's a great workout for the forearms.

Strip it back to the metal with oven cleaner and reseason according to the link I posted. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

stimpson wrote: »
    Strip it back to the metal with oven cleaner and reseason according to the link I posted. Be grand.

I'll have a look at it, mine has some kind of white covering on it, not sure if it's paint or ceramic of some kind. My mother has an iron one that her mother had and I remember her cooking fried brown bread on it years ago.

B8XA

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'll have a look at it, mine has some kind of white covering on it, not sure if it's paint or ceramic of some kind. My mother has an iron one that her mother had at home and I remember her cooking fried brown bread on it years ago.

If it's ceramic you're out of luck. I'm talking about the old style cast iron ones. This type of thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00006JSUA/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm in the market for a new pan myself now too, I have been using a heavy based Tefal pan for the last 5 years or so, and tbf it's been flawless, I've always kept it well seasoned and looked after it properly, food never sticks to it.

Unfortunately, it has a handle that was made from plastic that was loosening over time, and gave up the ghost altogether there a few evenings ago and came off completely.

I have a welder in my garage, but I'm not that desperate to keep the pan that I'd resort to welding a bit of 25mm flat steel to it, as a stopgap handle :D

Gonna head out later and pick a new one up, (might keep the old one, minus the handle as a spare/extra frying space for visitors etc)

Anyone any suggestions for a semi pro pan, preferably a good solid heavy base, oven proof too, in a bricks and mortar over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Go for the stainless steel Ikea pan, doesn't cost a fortune and I'm in love with how great that pan is, it's oven-safe too, used it a few times in it.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/sensuell-frying-pan-stainless-steel-grey-art-60324544/

LirW wrote: »
    Go for the stainless steel Ikea pan, doesn't cost a fortune and I'm in love with how great that pan is, it's oven-safe too, used it a few times in it.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/sensuell-frying-pan-stainless-steel-grey-art-60324544/

That would actually be perfect.

Done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You can't beat the €15 Ikea pan. There's one for €12 but the slightly dearer one is better.

Fried a couple of eggs in the stainless steel pan this morning, Jesus lads, they're not easily cleaned.

Is their a certain nack to it or what?

Fried a couple of eggs in the stainless steel pan this morning, Jesus lads, they're not easily cleaned.

Is their a certain nack to it or what?

They're a nightmare, and I wouldn't fry an egg on one. My sauté pan is stainless steel, but the Ikea frying pans I buy have a non-stick surface.

They're a nightmare, and I wouldn't fry an egg on one. My sautan is stainless steel, but the Ikea frying pans I buy have a non-stick surface.

Dam, I'm not sure what is the correct method for cleaning them, maybe it needs a proper seasoning and a wipe down straight away, this morning after the eggs, I sat down and ate my breakfast and drank my tea etc before cleaning.

Prob do no harm to get me another pan with a non stick surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dam, I'm not sure what is the correct method for cleaning them, maybe it needs a proper seasoning and a wipe down straight away.
    if there is no coating on the stainless steel you can scrub away all day with aggressive pads. That is what I like about it. But it is terrible non stick wise. I have seen videos saying to heat it up really hot, and then add oil, but then it would be too hot for me to say fry an egg, so would have to let it cool again. I don't think they are seasoned in the say way a cast iron pan is -and as there is no seasoned surface you can scrub away like mad.

Just searching there I found this page claiming it CAN be seasoned...
    https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/health/how-to-cook-on-season-a-stainless-steel-pan-to-create-a-non-stick-surface/

I have a stainless pot with a very thick base. I fry steak and burgers in it, get it roaring hot and often bring it out the back garden as it smokes like mad, yet retains heat well. The pot will look utterly destroyed afterwards but I have a heavy duty scourer that gets it like new.

rubadub wrote: »
    if there is no coating on the stainless steel you can scrub away all day with aggressive pads. That is what I like about it. But it is terrible non stick wise. I have seen videos saying to heat it up really hot, and then add oil, but then it would be too hot for me to say fry an egg, so would have to let it cool again. I don't think they are seasoned in the say way a cast iron pan is -and as there is no seasoned surface you can scrub away like mad.

Just searching there I found this page claiming it CAN be seasoned...
    https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/health/how-to-cook-on-season-a-stainless-steel-pan-to-create-a-non-stick-surface/

I have a stainless pot with a very thick base. I fry steak and burgers in it, get it roaring hot and often bring it out the back garden as it smokes like mad, yet retains heat well. The pot will look utterly destroyed afterwards but I have a heavy duty scourer that gets it like new.

I followed a guide I found online for seasoning it, pretty much as you had described, it basically said to heat the pan medium to high for 3 minutes, then add some oil or lard, and make sure the pan gets a good coating.

Once it starts to smoke, remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Dump excess oil, and give the pan a run with kitchen roll.

It said the pan never needs to see soap, just wipe with kitchen paper after each use, and tbh I fried an egg in mine , just to try it out straight after seasoning it, and it was perfect. Egg d8dnt stick, and I just rubbed it with paper towel and it looks grand. (The dog thought it does good eggs :))

I will have to get testing it with a big lump of steak next, but I reckon I'm gonna be happy with this pan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m glad I read this because I have an Ikea stainless steel pan and EVERYTHING sticks to it! I fried eggs in a load of oil one day and they still totally stuck. I thought it was just me, and that I was missing something crucial :o

Advertisement