Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Dublin scan tonight
    87.6 Chill FM
    91.6 Phever
    92.0 Retro FM
    99.5 Fresh FM
    107.1 Trax
    1395 Energy

92.0 was still on today, which is unusual as previously it was only on weekends (when it was on 91.0).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

92.0 was still on today, which is unusual as previously it was only on weekends (when it was on 91.0).[/quote]
    Yes, noticed that this afternoon. Maybe they’re trying out 24/7 broadcasting?

Have to say Play 87.8 in Cork are making a good go of things, live DJs (many of them ex-Klub FM) on a daily basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Have to say Play 87.8 in Cork are making a good go of things, live DJs (many of them ex-Klub FM) on a daily basis

Haven’t heard anyone yet.. who’s on it?

MrMac84 wrote: »

Haven’t heard anyone yet.. who’s on it?
    The likes of Gigs and Reece C (ex-Klub FM), HousEffect and others named on Facebook whose names I can’t recall atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a music station on 1494 kHz (approx 1493.85) Medium Wave. Very strong in Dundalk. First heard it Saturday night 24 March. Playing oldies with no announcements heard so far.

Must be local to the North East, no sign of it on the SDR in Carlow.

http://emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8073/

Fresh FM and Retro FM silent

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭kazoo106

It must be indeed very local - not much stronger than Radio Merseyside 5km out

Storm NE still on 104.2 in the North East, can’t believe they’re still going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Storm NE still on 104.2 in the North East, can’t believe they’re still going

Yea fair play to them. They must be Ireland s oldest pirate. Its a pity they don't blast into Dublin been so close. I'm sure they would pick up a lot of new listeners

• Advertisement

Radio Star Country and Radio North are a lot older.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭kazoo106

The 1494 TX was on again tonight and has been located ! - not going to say that here apart from the fact that my original guess (approx 1.2km from a previous TX which used to be on 1125) was not too far out - not aware of any anoraks at that location either.
    Signal wise, was just about reaching Castlebellingham at dusk tonight, was also just about audible at Carrickdale Hotel on the North side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

How many medium wave pirates are operating around the country and who are they?

The two I'm aware of are south Dublin's Energy (Power) AM on 1395 khz, or 215 metres, and the one in the north-east on 1494 khz.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How many medium wave pirates are operating around the country and who are they?

The two I'm aware of are south Dublin's Energy (Power) AM on 1395 khz, or 215 metres, and the one in the north-east on 1494 khz.

Are Radio North 846 and Radio Star Country 981 still on air?

You should be able to hear Radio North. It is a good signal on the SDR in Carlow. Radio Star Country is a strong signal around the border area.

Both stations have websites.

There’s also an unidentified station on 612KHz in Donegal apparently

Strong carrier on 88.1 in Dublin this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Radio North on 846 kHz have apparently upped their ERP to 3kW recently, certainly sounds a little stronger where I am. Radio Star Country is still going on 981 kHz supposedly with 1kW ERP.

Of the two, Star Country was one of only two stations (the other being Radio Dublin) that didn't shut down at the end of 1988 and they've been running continiously since with the only shutdowns either being through TX faults or wherever Comreg and its predecessors have been seen sniffing around North Monaghan though with a lack of border-blaster pirates on FM in recent years their presence in the area seems to be a lot less than it used to.

Both stations generally have programming of Irish Country music and gospel preaching programming, sometimes with the two crossing over though Radio North does play some contempary music on overnights. In terms of coverage, Star Country gets out well on groundwave for their power (it can be comfortably heard in Belfast) but gets hammered on skywave thanks to an Algerian powerhouse on the same frequency. On the other hand Radio North is on a fairly clear frequency for Europe and can often be heard on various internet SDRs on the continent at night time - it does get some interference though at night from the big RNE Madrid transmitter next door on 855 kHz.

Laser Hot Hits back in November(?) were doing some tests on 1494 kHz presumably at some location in Ireland but might have stopped these, their Facebook page states that some shows are still broadcast on Medium Wave but don't state a frequency.

...and looks like SoulCity could be coming back. RDS just appeared on the carrier on 88.1.

JDxtra wrote: »
    ...and looks like SoulCity could be coming back. RDS just appeared on the carrier on 88.1.

Hmmmm.... I wonder who is behind that?? I'm not going to hazard a guess this time as I do not want to annoy anyone or mislead anybody else! Once bitten twice shy. etc. etc.!

It is interesting in Dublin how, since about late last year, the number of non-dance oldies-inclined pirates are about neck-and-neck with the number of dance pirates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

but gets hammered on skywave thanks to an Algerian powerhouse on the same frequency.

Sounds so familiar to anyone trying RTE on 252 LW nowadays in the southern parts of Ireland (not to mind beyond) at night !
    As has been said before, if only it could be moved up 9kHz to 261kHz for the remainder of its life (in the absence of, and not prejudicing countries allocated it in Europe reactivating 261, but its very unlikely anyway).

Of the remaining LW stations in Europe, it is only RTE that is afflicted with co-channel interference of any severity.

It would be in the public interest if it could be moved to this adjacent frequency to ensure listenable nighttime reception in the southern areas, especially considering the possibility of severe weather events or other emergencies putting FM/TV transmitters off air for extended periods of time , which happened with relays in some southern parts of the country with Storm Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Antenna wrote: »
    Sounds so familiar to anyone trying RTE on 252 LW nowadays in the southern parts of Ireland (not to mind beyond) at night !
    As has been said before, if only it could be moved up 9kHz to 261kHz for the remainder of its life (in the absence of, and not prejudicing countries allocated it in Europe reactivating 261, but its very unlikely anyway).

Of the remaining LW stations in Europe, it is only RTE that is afflicted with co-channel interference of any severity.

It would be in the public interest if it could be moved to this adjacent frequency to ensure listenable nighttime reception in the southern areas, especially considering the possibility of severe weather events or other emergencies putting FM/TV transmitters off air for extended periods of time , which happened with relays in some southern parts of the country with Storm Ophelia.
    A move to 261 kHz would require transmission downtime and expense to retune the transmitter and aerial for a transmission that has only little more than a year before it's scheduled to close. Would also need ITU agreement as well, nothing to stop Ireland unilaterly moving frequency but doing so doesn't win you more friends when it comes to future frequency coordination.
    The issue of co-channel interference of 252 kHz along the south coast has been known for many years from the days of Atlantic 252. A better idea at the time of 567 kHz's shutdown would have been to retain the 729 kHz transmission at Cork even with some reduced power (I think the land it and the 1278 kHz 2FM service resided on is now demolished and sold to developers?)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A move to 261 kHz would require transmission downtime and expense to retune the transmitter and aerial for a transmission that has only little more than a year before it's scheduled to close. Would also need ITU agreement as well, nothing to stop Ireland unilaterly moving frequency but doing so doesn't win you more friends when it comes to future frequency coordination.
    The issue of co-channel interference of 252 kHz along the south coast has been known for many years from the days of Atlantic 252. A better idea at the time of 567 kHz's shutdown would have been to retain the 729 kHz transmission at Cork even with some reduced power (I think the land it and the 1278 kHz 2FM service resided on is now demolished and sold to developers?)

I was on the N40 last week and the 729/1278 TX at Ballinure is still standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Have Traks gone a different route on playlists? Seems not as many old skool bangers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TraxDublin

TallGlass wrote: »
    Have Traks gone a different route on playlists? Seems not as many old skool bangers on.

Hi, no - all the same tunes are still in our playlist. We often add extra tunes as we acquire them to keep it fresh. There were some late 90s tunes added and maybe you heard a few of these.

Below is the exact tracklist from this morning - plenty of bangers in there. But if you ever hear anything you don't like on the station, just message us and we'll review it. Thanks for the feedback.

07:40 R.A.F. - Take Me Higher (Travel To Andromeda)
    07:33 Midi Xpress - Fade To Grey (Red Jerry Mix)
    07:23 Billie Ray Martin - Your Loving Arms (Soundfactory Vocal)
    07:17 Tom Wilson - Let Your Body Go (Dance Like Yer Dad Mix)
    07:09 The Visions Of Shiva - How Much Can You Take? (Emotional)
    07:04 Sabrina Johnston - Peace (Dub Mix)
    06:58 Transformer 2 - Fruit Of Love (Fruiture Sound Instrumental Mix)
    06:50 Cosmic Baby - Fantasia
    06:43 Express Of Sound - Real Vibration (Want Love) (Real Club Mix)
    06:36 Sunday School - House Is A Feeling
    06:31 Carpe Diem - The Buzz (Guitar Mix)
    06:23 Virtue - Feeling Good (New Dawn) (Sensual Mix)
    06:16 Ken Doh - Nakasaki (I Need A Lover Tonight) (12" Version)
    06:10 Kamaya Painters - Endless Wave
    06:03 KMC - Somebody To Touch Me (Hi-Lux Remix)
    05:57 Movin' Melodies - Looking for 3D
    05:52 Chunky Choons - Do Da Day (A.C. Milan Mix)
    05:44 Funkydory - Good Times (Tony De Vit Mix)
    05:36 Hyperlogic - Only Me (Red Jerry '95 Remix)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

TraxDublin wrote: »
    Hi, no - all the same tunes are still in our playlist. We often add extra tunes as we acquire them to keep it fresh. There were some late 90s tunes added and maybe you heard a few of these.

Below is the exact tracklist from this morning - plenty of bangers in there. But if you ever hear anything you don't like on the station, just message us and we'll review it. Thanks for the feedback.

I always hated that Ken Doh song for some reason if that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

TraxDublin wrote: »

that's a decent list tbh.

on a general note it's nice that a few tracks from the early to mid 2000s pop up on the station. it was also a good time for tunes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

According to Soulcity’s website, they plan to use 1395AM as well as 88.1FM

According to Soulcity’s website, they plan to use 1395AM as well as 88.1FM

They have been doing that since Thursday and the quality of the reception on 1395 AM around Dundrum and Ballinteer has been superb. There has also been presenters. Have a look at the thread about Soul City.

• Advertisement

1395 is a good signal in Dundalk. 1494 is relaying Coast Radio. At times during the week I heard them broadcasting old pirate recordings.

http://streema.com/radios/Coast_Internet_Radio

Advertisement