Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dav3 wrote: »
    Spend the evening listening to 3 people talk to each other about whatever pops into their head. Sounds absolutely magical.

Why have they set their sights so low by having it in the Point Depot?

Surely Croke Park or even 3 nights in the Phoenix Park would have been the better option.

Put them on the under card for the Pope's big night

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Brian? wrote: »
    It would be great if it was 3 guys with different opinions. This will be one giant echo chamber.

maybe a trigglypuff or 2 will sneak in ?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It would be great if it was 3 guys with different opinions. This will be one giant echo chamber.

Who would be a good fit as the dissenting voice/counter point?
    You would need somebody of a higher calibre than the Owen Jones types.

Edit: not sarcasm, I can think of some of the BBC ones that would be a good fit but not sure if they do that style of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Edit: not sarcasm, I can think of some of the BBC ones that would be a good fit but not sure if they do that style of thing

invite Cathy along for the bants?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nonsense, Harris and Peterson disagree on many things as was evident from the podcasts they did together. Murray is a very interesting character as well.

It has the potential to be an interesting conversation between them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Get there early for the pit wristbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

What time Zizek going on? Or is he in another tent?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Pity that it's with Sam Harris and Douglas Murray. I have no idea who Douglas Murray is and Sam Harris just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about Muslims.

Would have loved to hear what Jordan has to say.

Douglas Murray is probably the most interesting of the three. He's the author of 'The Strange Death of Europe', which is an interesting book. He is very articulate and thoughtful. Jordan Peterson, meh. Sam Harris, meh. I don't think it will be entirely an echo chamber: I'd expect JP and DM to have distinctly different views on a number of topics. JP is ultimately an individualist, whereas DM is more a traditional conservative.

Overall, it would probably be the best outcome if some Trinners were to try to deplatform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You can probably get some idea of what this event will be like by listening to the recordings of similar events on Sam Harris' podcasts e.g. number 115 or 116. He's the one who organised these talks in the past and is kind-of the moderator for these ones.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yeah I can't wait to listen to Sam and Jordan agree on the bible for half an hour.

Does Dr Peterson talk about the bible?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »
    Which is not allowed here.

Boards is a huge echo chamber

Is this a joke? Have you actually read this thread. It's one ongoing, massive disagreement.

they/them/theirs

JRant wrote: »
    Nonsense, Harris and Peterson disagree on many things as was evident from the podcasts they did together. Murray is a very interesting character as well.

It has the potential to be an interesting conversation between them.

It isn't nonsense. Harris and Peterson are in fundamental agreement about a lot of things.

Hey, I could be wrong. They could get going on religion and Harris will lay into the other 2. I seriously doubt it though.

To be honest, agreement is boring. Watch any video with Hitchens, Harris and Dawkins together. I agree with a lot of what they're saying, but the lack of dissent is boring.

they/them/theirs

Zizek would be great. I don't agree with a lot of what he has to say, but he'd bring a brilliant edge to the debate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavoj_Žižek

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

To be honest, agreement is boring. Watch any video with Hitchens, Harris and Dawkins together. I agree with a lot of what they're saying, but the lack of dissent is boring.

Thus the reason why Social Democracy is crumbling all around us.
    They have little to actually disagree on and many of the social causes of the left have been won, so they dream up new causes about perceived injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Murray is excellent he is quite simply perplexed at what is happening to Europe regarding immigration. I think he is a breath of fresh air, I agree with so much of what he says. Peterson can be very interesting depending on what subjects he discusses. I don't know that much about Sam Harris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

20Cent wrote: »
    Watching three guys talk wtf.

One more reference, one more reference.

That's the kind of environment that has now been created though.

Does Jordan Peterson say anything that's THAT interesting or controversial?

He was a well known psychologist sure but he wasn't like some well known public figure. His current popularity is almost entirely a creation of his own overzealous critics.

They've basically created a situation where people now think this guy is edgy or interesting because you have a constant parade of eejits screeching about his awful views.

Same with Sam Harris. He makes the same old points that people have always made about religion. Not exactly controversial or new. As soon as he goes for Islam people are losing their damn minds.

So, yeah, people are going to pay money to watch 3 guys talking because an environment has been created where these 3 guys with tame and uninteresting opinions are held up as super edgy blokes who are saying almost forbidden things.

These lads must be laughing their asses off when the money comes rolling in. Their biggest critics are the best marketing team they could ever wish for.

Peterson is no better or worse than dumb sh*t like "The Secret" or silly people like Louise O'Neill. They have their audience but they are harmless and if you just leave them alone then it's not a problem.

The attempts to shut this guy down have left him looking like a guy with something much more interesting to say. Then you have dopes like Cathy Newman on C4 who try take him on and end up getting publicly destroyed when she could have just cordially talked about his completely mundane views and maybe see if he slips up and says something daft.

People will happily pay money to watch 3 guys talking when they think the 3 guys are going to say something amazing or interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

statesaver wrote: »
    Pity it’s not Ben Sharpio

Can only listen to him in short doses. He speaks at about 150kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Can only listen to him in short doses. He speaks at about 150kph.

Shapiro is the intellectual equivalent of an amoeba.

Havockk wrote: »

That’s unfair. Amoeba can be surprisingly incite full.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    That's the kind of environment that has now been created though.
    Pretty much. And across the board of all the isms out there.
    Does Jordan Peterson say anything that's THAT interesting or controversial?
    Good question. Since this stuff kicked off I have watched a couple of his youtube vids, mostly the short ones :D And mostly the lecture ones. I find his Jungian stuff interesting but like you say hardly controversial(and I would personally disagree with much of it). His own background influence of personal religion over informs his take on that aspect of things and he doesn't seem to be able to disentangle that. Surprising given he's by no measure an unintelligent man. His personal political background tends to do similar. In both areas he makes good points well put, but then - as is so often the case - runs further than one should.

However I am much more in agreement with his take on the current victimhood/oppressor narrative that is woven through modern western thought. Precious few public types have approached the subject and in a pretty measured way. The victimhood narrative is the "correct think" within western thought, particularly, but not exclusively within academia and the media.

In that sense he is "controversial". And it's a large reason why he's getting attention, particularly from young men. He's essentially saying you are the master of your own life and can master it. That personal responsibility are not dirty words. The notion of personal responsibility has slowly been eroded in much of western public discourse to the point where even the hint of it will often get accusations of "victim blaming". It's nearly always someone else's fault. The oppressor. I would also agree with him that this victimhood/oppressor narrative is potentially very dangerous for the individual and a society. Though again he runs with it too far and there's the sniff of the end is nigh with him at times. Though that always fills the cheap seats.

Then you have dopes like Cathy Newman on C4 who try take him on and end up getting publicly destroyed when she could have just cordially talked about his completely mundane views and maybe see if he slips up and says something daft.
    Well she couldn't in fairness as his views are not "completely mundane" within the sphere of most of the western media. He has publicly questioned things like the feminist narrative regarding success in careers, quotas and the like. She couldn't have let that stuff go. Not unless she was being dishonest. And she got whipped quite simply because she doesn't have the brain power or experience to debate him, regardless of his views(he's a tenured professor of psychology with three decades of this stuff under his belt, she's a journalist, which by its very nature requires an element of jack of all trades to it). Never mind that one could argue that much of her position is based on vapourware that doesn't bear much in the way of scrutiny. Much of his can be accused of similar, but his position was simply more robust than hers on the matters she brought up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well she couldn't in fairness as his views are not "completely mundane" within the sphere of most of the western media. He has publicly questioned things like the feminist narrative regarding success in careers, quotas and the like. She couldn't have let that stuff go. Not unless she was being dishonest.

I think where Cathy Newman got destroyed was not that she tackled JP's views. She tackled some fantasy strawman. She clearly believed JP was some knuckle dragging Neanderthal who thinks women should be pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen making him a sandwich, and a neo-Nazi to boot. She didn't do her research, she didn't have the wit to recognise what he was saying, and she has entered unending parody as the 'So what you're saying is <insert ridiculous proposition here>' lady.

JP's views aren't actually all that revolutionary. He is highly individualist, so its largely a continuation of the past 70 years. His biggest message to young men is they should tidy their room, respect and improve themselves. I think his individualism is the real clash: modern feminists such as Newman, like all followers of group identity, are highly collectivist. JP being individualist is going to draw fire from all sides in an era of increasing identity politics (be it feminist, BLM, white, etc). This is the fault-line on which JP first made his reputation: he as an individual confronted a group and refused to accept their diktats on the language he should use. Admirable in many respects, and we are still taught to admire it, but its not the way the world is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

She is a journalist not an academic or a grand intellectual, it is a pyrrhic victory but one that will be celebrated by the ilk that read more into it than there is and think that there was an important exchange happening or they wish to imbue it with a certain significance so they can feel some sense of triumph.

What really interested me was how Jordan lost his head on twitter over this recent New York review of books article seems he can dish it out but can't take it.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/19/jordan-peterson-and-fascist-mysticism/

cloudatlas wrote: »
    She is a journalist not an academic or a grand intellectual, it is a pyrrhic victory but one that will be celebrated by the ilk that read more into it than there is and think that there was an important exchange happening or they wish to imbue it with a certain significance so they can feel some sense of triumph.

What really interested me was how Jordan lost his head on twitter over this recent New York review of books article seems he can dish it out but can't take it.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/19/jordan-peterson-and-fascist-mysticism/

That's a pretty nasty and inaccurate article dressed up as reasoned argument.
    Douglas Murray being part of the Far Right is just brain dead name calling from considering he has literally written the book about why we should be Neoconservatives.

Douglas Murray being part of the Far Right is just brain dead name calling from considering he has literally written the book about why we should be Neoconservatives.

I found it interesting he clearly points to Peterson's influences, in that sense it is instructive.

It isn’t “dressed up as reasoned argument”. It’s a critique. Are we still allowed do those? It’s no more nasty than a film review in the Irish Times. You need to grow a thicker skin.

they/them/theirs

It isn’t “dressed up as reasoned argument”. It’s a critique. Are we still allowed do those? It’s no more nasty than a film review in the Irish Times. You need to grow a thicker skin.

Calling people part of the Far-Right when they are clearly not is more than a "film review", it's simply demonization.

Don't get me wrong the author should be free to state this but to pretend that this is a fair minded critique is way off.

I would also argue with the modernity of those ideas, the 19th and 20th century figures referenced were simply replying to new philosophies.

Calling people part of the Far-Right when they are clearly not is more than a "film review", it's simply demonization.

It may well be over embellished. Demonization is too far.
    Don't get me wrong the author should be free to state this but to pretend that this is a fair minded critique is way off.

I would also argue with the modernity of those ideas, the 19th and 20th century figures referenced were simply replying to new philosophies.

I don’t get your point about fair mindedness. It’s a robust critique. It’s most certainly not a hatchet job.

they/them/theirs

Can you quote where the author part of the far-right? I can’t see it.

they/them/theirs

The critique is no more damning than the discussion that is taking place over on the philosophy forum, it's important to know where the ideas of people like J. Peterson have come from if he is indeed going to stray into the area of pop psychology and influence impressionable young men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Havockk wrote: »

Really? I don't fully agree with his social conservatism but stupid he ain't.

Advertisement