Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion - Report of the Joint Committee on the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭volchitsa

recedite wrote: »
    I'm an atheist.

If you say so.

I neither know nor care. Your beliefs about abortion seem to be predicated on the religion-based "magic moment of conception" which is almost useless in scientific terms except as the beginining of another stage in the life cycle.

But I could be wrong and perhaps you are pro choice but just dislike Indian women or something. Who knows.

In any case your determination to prove Prof Arulkumaran wrong with your twists and turns every time you are proven to be wrong in some part or other shows that you are interested in defending the 8th, not the truth.

Why that might be really is your own problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

But the full point there is there is no link in YOUR data set (about maternal deaths) in either direction.

Put another way, your link to that data set says nothing about the effect of the presence, or absence, of abortion at all. It just says "Here are the number of people who died in Ireland" and no inference in EITHER direction can be drawn to say that that figure would be higher OR lower were abortion to be available.

Whereas, while your actual point is unclear, it sounds more and more like you are TRYING to smuggle in the implication that the figure would be what the figure is either way, so doing away with the 8th, or bringing in abortion, would not benefit in any way.

Perhaps that is NOT the point/implication you are trying to make. But I can only assure you that it is coming across that way to me at least. And if it is NOT that, then what your point ACTUALLY is.... is still entirely unclear.

Its part of it. Where the campaign may fail is not because of repeal of the eighth, its because of it becoming more and more a debate about choice of abortion on demand.
    Where there might be a danger to life posed by the eighth amendment, a point which would make a big majority vote for repeal, there is no connection to a danger to life posed by allowing abortion on demand, a fact that will change the mind of certain voters in favour of repeal and replace with something like the CA suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

That seems to be a different point to the original intent behind your first link, but it is a point I can neither agree or disagree with really.

I just hope the general populace are intelligent enough to be informed of ALL the implications of repeal. Both in relation to abortion AND in relation to complications it can cause it medical processes and choices.

I feel no compulsion to speculate. I will just wait and see where the vote goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

That seems to be a different point to the original intent behind your first link, but it is a point I can neither agree or disagree with really.

I just hope the general populace are intelligent enough to be informed of ALL the implications of repeal. Both in relation to abortion AND in relation to complications it can cause it medical processes and choices.

I feel no compulsion to speculate. I will just wait and see where the vote goes.

Me too. And I am still voting repeal, even though as you said earlier, probably for the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

recedite wrote: »
    I mean at the later time when a life threatening risk emerged
    I presume then that future hospital guidelines could/should include that as one specific example of when a termination is warranted under the 8th amendment?
    Maybe they have already done that, I don't know.
    My point is that the Savita case is a tragedy that has become a typical Irish cover up...
    Now we are being told its the constitution's fault.
    In the Savita case, most supporters of the 8th seem to ignore the initial refusal to carry out the termination when requested. They want to quickly skip past the root cause of her death which was the insane (but legally mandated) refusal to terminate.

They then focus only on the subsequent medical negligence aspect of the case (which was complex) - by implication in their argument presuming that such negligence would also be present if there was no 8th amendment i.e. in vastly less dangerous circumstances (Fidelma Healy Eames is just one person who makes use of such deception).

However, if the termination was done as soon as the miscarriage was detected (obviously with Savita’s agreement) her death would very likely have been avoided.

This was no tragedy or cover up. This was a long predicted and guaranteed consequence of the offensively stupid 8th amendment. It is a mark of ongoing disgrace that other pro-lifers/8th supporters play this painfully transparent game with the Savita case, instead of facing it honestly.

So anyway, you think we should keep the 8th and do an ongoing ‘live’ trial & error with pregnancies of my (& others) relatives in the decades ahead - having the odd woman die every now and then. Then using each of those deaths (if it is a new rare case) to update the list for allowable terminations (in those cases) from then on - ad hoc fashion {of course ignoring that all these cases are long documented across the world of obstetrics}.

Well, at least this inner circle of madness suggestion of yours neatly matches the inherent criminal immorality of the 8th itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

KJ wrote: »
    I will be away on holiday when the referendum takes place. Does anybody know if I can vote by post or online?

The date has not been decided yet.
    You can possibly vote by post but only in specific circumstances
    You will normally be required to vote in person at an official voting centre but you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are:

An Irish diplomat or his/her spouse posted abroad
    A member of the Garda Sh
    A whole-time member of the Defence Forces.
    You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:

Of a physical illness or disability
    You are studying full time at an educational institution in Ireland, which is away from your home address where you are registered
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

In the Savita case, most supporters of the 8th seem to ignore the initial refusal to carry out the termination when requested. They want to quickly skip past the root cause of her death which was the insane (but legally mandated) refusal to terminate.

Not disagreeing with anything you said, but just trying to understand how this would work in future with Repeal and legislation in place.

Can you explain how the removal of the 8th along with the legislation of the 12-week limit would have resulted in a better outcome?

Savita was at 17 weeks' gestation at the time, so this would not fall into the 12 - week limit for abortions.

After 12-weeks are we not back to similar situation as now, where the woman's life has to be at risk (Except in fetal abnormalities, Rape, possible suicide)?

Is there likely a provision of Fetus chances of survival being remote? How will this be determined?

Do we know what the legislation is going to allow after 12-weeks?
    Is this clearly define yet, and if not when will we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Esperanza12

Noone is saying you have to raise the child if you don’t want to. You have choices. Give it up for adoption. There are plenty of couples in Ireland who’d love to adopt a child here, rather than having to go to Brazil or endure IVF. I spoke to a doctor years ago working in the UK who found it strange and tragic that unwanted lives were being hoovered out of wombs and disposed of in one part of his hospital, while down the corridor, petri dishes containing fertilised eggs were treated with reverence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ForestFire wrote: »
    Do we know what the legislation is going to allow after 12-weeks?

2 doctors (or in an emergency, 1 doctor) will be able to make the decision to terminate if either the fetus has no chance of survival (FFA or a miscarriage in progress) or the health of the mother is endangered.

There are plenty of couples in Ireland who’d love to adopt a child here, rather than having to go to Brazil or endure IVF.

So what? There are many people in wheelchairs that would love to run around and play football too. That does not mean I, as someone who has the good fortune to be fully able bodied, should be expected to do it for them.
    I spoke to a doctor years ago working in the UK who found it strange and tragic that unwanted lives were being hoovered out of wombs and disposed of in one part of his hospital, while down the corridor, petri dishes containing fertilised eggs were treated with reverence.

I find it strange that anyone would find it strange. Much less a doctor of "something" (you did not mention) in an unverifiable anecdote you might have just made up.

But there is nothing strange about it that in one room someone might not want a child or to be pregnant........ while in another room there are people who not only want to have children but want it where possible made from THEIR OWN DNA and/or that of their partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Noone is saying you have to raise the child if you don’t want to. You have choices. Give it up for adoption. There are plenty of couples in Ireland who’d love to adopt a child here, rather than having to go to Brazil or endure IVF. I spoke to a doctor years ago working in the UK who found it strange and tragic that unwanted lives were being hoovered out of wombs and disposed of in one part of his hospital, while down the corridor, petri dishes containing fertilised eggs were treated with reverence.

Adoption is a choice for someone who doesn't want to be a parent, but it doesn't help someone who doesn't want to be pregnant in the first place. You're asking someone to go through 9 months of pregnancy, and all that it entails, so someone else can become a parent.

And as an aside, the majority of Irish women who've travelled to Britain for an abortion wouldn't have been able to put the child up for adoption anyway. That's because the majority of women who travel are married, and up to November last year, the law didn't allow married couples to put their children up for adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Adoption is a choice for someone who doesn't want to be a parent, but it doesn't help someone who doesn't want to be pregnant in the first place. You're asking someone to go through 9 months of pregnancy, and all that it entails, so someone else can become a parent.

And as an aside, the majority of Irish women who've travelled to Britain for an abortion wouldn't have been able to put the child up for adoption anyway. That's because the majority of women who travel are married, and up to November last year, the law didn't allow married couples to put their children up for adoption.

If it means saving a life of a child that they created in the first place then, yes they should IMO. I think abortion when the mother's life is in danger is the only acceptable situation but this is just my opinion on the subject, unprotected sex when a child is not wanted is a part of the problem also.

unprotected sex when a child is not wanted is a part of the problem also.

But only a part. There are any number of other reasons why people can and do end up pregnant when they do not want to be.

Rape and abuse is mentioned often of course. Failed contraception is mentioned often.

What is not mentioned as often, but is equally valid so I try and mention it whenever I can.... is that often the people getting pregnant planned and intended to. But subsequently something in their circumstances changed.

Their work or financial situation maybe. Their health physically. Their health mentally as a result of a hardship. The relationship they were in during the conception may change or end. Or any number of other things commensurate with the vagaries of the multitude of individual lives and life stories that surround us each and every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

If it means saving a life of a child that they created in the first place then, yes they should IMO. I think abortion when the mother's life is in danger is the only acceptable situation but this is just my opinion on the subject, unprotected sex when a child is not wanted is a part of the problem also.

Abortions aren't always because of unprotected sex. For one organisation, just over half the women who had an abortion were using at least one form of contraception.
    The British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS), one of the country’s largest abortion charities, said 51 per cent of the 60,592 women it treated in 2016 were using at least one form of contraception when they became pregnant.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/06/half-abortions-due-failed-contraception-new-report/

And don't forget that in Ireland, pharmacists can legally refuse to dispense contraception like the morning after pill, as this young woman found out.

But in any case, I don't think forcing women to continue a unwanted pregnancy, especially one where it's intended that the child be put up for adoption, is an appropriate or proportionate response to someone making a mistake. A standard pregnancy already brings increased risks of mental illness, I would imagine that the risks are even greater again for a crisis pregnancy.

By treated with reverence, do you mean being legally experimented on up to 14 days, with obligatory destruction thereafter?

Or is it only some fertilized eggs that are treated with reverence, and if so, what is your point apart from a feeble attempt at suggesting that women should serve as human petri dishes too?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We've created a new thread for discussion of the topic of When Does Life Begin here, because it was beginning to dominate this entire thread to the detriment of everything else. Please take any discussion of this topic there.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Moonmumbler

For full disclosure I am pro-choice but I am interested in the psychology of the opinions, reactions and emotions involved in this debate.

People who campaign for abortion legislation are not sinister child killers. Calling for abortion legislation is not exactly a feel-good campaign. There aren't popular viral ice bucket challenges for abortion. So why do you think people campaign for abortion and why do you think they would want it legalised?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Threads merged.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

So why do you think people campaign for abortion and why do you think they would want it legalised?

I can only speak for myself. But I campaign for it because I believe rights, freedoms, choices, morality and ethics are in the business of mediating the well being of sentient creatures.

And if we want to curtail peoples rights, freedoms and choices..... and thus their well being..... we should have good reason to do so.

As the fetus being aborted (usually 10-12 weeks of gestation but nearly always by 16 weeks) is not itself a sentience or conscious agent, and never has been...... there is no reason on offer at this time to me to justify curtailing the freedoms and choices of the pregnant woman in deference to it.

So why do I think people would want it legalized? Because they care for the well being of actual conscious entities, like pregnant women.

Is any more reason needed?

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    What I do know is that I would like a clear cutoffs and terms to vote yes or no to, copperfastened in the constitution. Not some dopey politicians deciding after the fact. That's why I won't vode yes to a straight repeal vote.

We've established that this is impossible to do properly. The Attorney General back in 83 said as much when giving his legal opinion on the proposed wording of the 8th:

"The overall reason, which crops up in almost every facet of any attempted solution is that the subject matter of the amendment sough is of such complexity, involves so many matters of medical and scientific, moral and jurisprudential expertise as to be incapable of accurate encapsulation into a simple constitution-type provision."

Others in this and other threads have made a similar suggestion to you, but no one has been able to give an example of wording that would avoid the problems highlighted by the AG. If we put terms limits or other criteria in the constitution we're basically saying we want to keep having referendums and court cases about abortion for years to come.

Unless you're in favour of the status quo, which most people aren't, the only way to make any changes to our abortion laws is to vote repeal and let politicians legislate. Because it can't be done properly in our constitution.

For full disclosure I am pro-choice but I am interested in the psychology of the opinions, reactions and emotions involved in this debate.

People who campaign for abortion legislation are not sinister child killers. Calling for abortion legislation is not exactly a feel-good campaign. There aren't popular viral ice bucket challenges for abortion. So why do you think people campaign for abortion and why do you think they would want it legalised?

If I had to boil my point of view down to its simplest form, it's this: we've voted to let women access abortion everywhere else, so why can't we let her access it here?

And I think that's the key thing that gets missed when we talk about women travelling. It isn't just that they travel, it's that we know it happens, we let it happen and absolutely nobody wants to stop them.

Obviously, my views are more complex than just that, but for me, the status of travel in the constitution played a big part in forming my views. If a woman's freedom to travel gets more priority than the unborn's right to life, then her right to bodily autonomy and health should as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/government-sets-out-21-clauses-to-regulate-abortion-1.3420425

I don't know if this article has the 21 principles correct, but having read them, I only have an issue with the combination of these two:

"Gestational limits will not apply in cases of a foetal condition or on grounds of risk to health"

"No distinction will be made between physical and mental health"

Taken together, these mean that a pregnancy of 34 weeks can be terminated if there is a risk to mental health. I am not sure that the balance is correct in relation to this. I would like to see the clear medical guidelines on this issue.

However, and this is the key point, despite my misgivings on this small issue, I will still be voting to repeal the 8th. If my fears turn out to be well-founded, rather than a misogynistic view of female behaviour (and they could be either), then if the 8th is repealed, the Oireachtas could, at any time, correct the situation. If medics are over-diagnosing mental illness in women in late gestation, this can be addressed either through medical guidelines or amending legislation after the 8th is repealed.

As a result, there is nothing to fear from repeal of the 8th. Early-term abortion is no issue for me. If late-term abortion becomes commonplace, well then, I can lobby politicians for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

We've established that this is impossible to do properly. The Attorney General back in 83 said as much when giving his legal opinion on the proposed wording of the 8th:

"The overall reason, which crops up in almost every facet of any attempted solution is that the subject matter of the amendment sough is of such complexity, involves so many matters of medical and scientific, moral and jurisprudential expertise as to be incapable of accurate encapsulation into a simple constitution-type provision."

Others in this and other threads have made a similar suggestion to you, but no one has been able to give an example of wording that would avoid the problems highlighted by the AG. If we put terms limits or other criteria in the constitution we're basically saying we want to keep having referendums and court cases about abortion for years to come.

Unless you're in favour of the status quo, which most people aren't, the only way to make any changes to our abortion laws is to vote repeal and let politicians legislate. Because it can't be done properly in our constitution.

most people indeed don't want the status quo to remain as such, however for some of us it's the least worst outcome then allowing abortion on demand.
    letting politicians legislate for such an issue i would suggest just isn't viable given the proposals they have put forward.
    If I had to boil my point of view down to its simplest form, it's this: we've voted to let women access abortion everywhere else, so why can't we let her access it here?

And I think that's the key thing that gets missed when we talk about women travelling. It isn't just that they travel, it's that we know it happens, we let it happen and absolutely nobody wants to stop them.

Obviously, my views are more complex than just that, but for me, the status of travel in the constitution played a big part in forming my views. If a woman's freedom to travel gets more priority than the unborn's right to life, then her right to bodily autonomy and health should as well.

her right to bodily autonomy and health is given preference over the unborn in most cases where it is absolutely required. there are a few cases currently not covered and as unfortunate as that is, unless the government put forward a proposal that allows for those cases only rather then abortion on demand up to 12 weeks, unfortunately many of us are in the position where we are left with no option but to vote no to repeal.
    in answer to your first question, there is no requirement to allow access to abortion on demand in ireland, and the fact women travel for it isn't a justification to allow it here IMO. the people had to vote for the right to travel because otherwise many who would not have been traveling to procure abortions would have been effected, which is not a good outcome. that vote in itself didn't necessarily say abortion is okay, as much as some may wish to think otherwise, but that realistically we cannot stop freedom of movement so there is no point in using resources on it.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a number of possible reasons IMO. contraceptive/lifestyle/convenience reasons seem to me to be the main reason. others are a bit more sinister such as seeing it as empowerment of women, and because the systems we have for dealing with children aren't up to scratch so we must allow the killing of the unborn to minimize the problem.
    then you have a small extreme element who would be about the designer baby concept such as the baby being the wrong sex so they abort.
    probably a lot more very sinister reasons as well but they would be believed only by a very tiny extreme minority.
    I can only speak for myself. But I campaign for it because I believe rights, freedoms, choices, morality and ethics are in the business of mediating the well being of sentient creatures.

And if we want to curtail peoples rights, freedoms and choices..... and thus their well being..... we should have good reason to do so.

As the fetus being aborted (usually 10-12 weeks of gestation but nearly always by 16 weeks) is not itself a sentience or conscious agent, and never has been...... there is no reason on offer at this time to me to justify curtailing the freedoms and choices of the pregnant woman in deference to it.

So why do I think people would want it legalized? Because they care for the well being of actual conscious entities, like pregnant women.

Is any more reason needed?

of course as it has been established, sentience isn't a valid argument for abortion, given we don't ultimately base the right to life on sentience and the unborn will become sentient quite quick unless something intervenes to prevent it. the curtailing of the non-right to abortion on demand in ireland is based on good reasoning because it recognises the equal right to life of both mother and baby unless it is absolutely necessary for the opposite to be the case, for which the mother is the one saved. choice is what you are going to have for breakfast, not to kill another human being. as the fetus at 12 weeks and before is still a human being, and sentience and consciousness is irrelevant given we don't base human rights on them, that is a very good reason to not allow the killing of them. no freedoms and choices are being curtailed, because being able to kill a human being is not a freedom or a choice and the allowence of such has to be curtailed for the greater good of society, bar where extreme reasons require otherwise, hence pro-life being okay with medically necessary abortions, and people being okay with killing in self defence. the well-being of both mother and baby are paramount.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/government-sets-out-21-clauses-to-regulate-abortion-1.3420425

I don't know if this article has the 21 principles correct, but having read them, I only have an issue with the combination of these two:

"Gestational limits will not apply in cases of a foetal condition or on grounds of risk to health"

Taken together, these mean that a pregnancy of 34 weeks can be terminated if there is a risk to mental health. I am not sure that the balance is correct in relation to this. I would like to see the clear medical guidelines on this issue.

However, and this is the key point, despite my misgivings on this small issue, I will still be voting to repeal the 8th. If my fears turn out to be well-founded, rather than a misogynistic view of female behaviour (and they could be either), then if the 8th is repealed, the Oireachtas could, at any time, correct the situation. If medics are over-diagnosing mental illness in women in late gestation, this can be addressed either through medical guidelines or amending legislation after the 8th is repealed.

As a result, there is nothing to fear from repeal of the 8th. Early-term abortion is no issue for me. If late-term abortion becomes commonplace, well then, I can lobby politicians for change.

i would be surprised if the politicians would change it dispite your campaigning however. i'd suspect that ultimately we will have to harmonise with british abortion law, to remove the complaints about women still traveling to the uk. most of us on the pro-life side also have no misogynistic view of female behaviour but we do believe that killing the unborn for non-necessary reasons is wrong and should not be availible in this country.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

others are a bit more sinister such as seeing it as empowerment of women

Goodness me, mustn't have any of that!

So still sticking to your tactic of dodging out of conversations with me and ignoring replies, while taking poor pot shots at my conversations with others then? How much material do you think you have simply ducked, dodged, and retreated from at this point???
    of course as it has been established, sentience isn't a valid argument for abortion

That has not been "established" at all. You have asserted it on a number of occasions but simply run away from any conversation about backing up that assertion.
    given we don't ultimately base the right to life on sentience

So you keep saying but when asked what we DO base it on the best you have offered (when not simply running away from the question) is the circular argument of taxonomy. You have never once explained what we base rights on, but merely refer to the words we use to describe the things that do get those rights.

Which as I said before is about as meaningful as answering a question like "What exactly is ownership" by offering the dictionary definition of "borders".

It simply does not answer the question. A question I think you patently can not answer and will go to any lengths to convince yourself that people have not noticed you can not answer.
    it recognises the equal right to life of both mother and baby

Yet you have given no arguments, evidence, data OR reasoning to explain why a fetus should have ANY right to life, let alone an equal one. You just use words like "recognize" to attempt to imply using linguistics that this right is a given and a default, as if it objectively exists merely because you imagine it to be so.

This ultimately comes down to rights, what has rights, and why. And despite me asking time, and time, and time, and time again you have simply dodged the discussion on what rights are, what we assign them to, and on what basis. You merely screech the word "Human" at it every time, and then quite literally run away.

blanch152 wrote: »

Genuinely this could not possibly be a problem if the woman has had access to to abortion at the beginning of her pregnancy. It takes crazy laws like "you must be actually suicidal" like Ireland has for someone like Miss Y to happen.

Being identified as severely distressed over being pregnant from the moment she learned of it, to still be pregnant at 24 weeks. That was a result of the refusal to terminate earlier, not the woman's choice. It was barbaric.

In a country where abortion is available, a woman who has chosen to remain pregnant during the first trimester and who then becomes severely depressed about being pregnant is going to be someone who has developed some sort of psychosis during the pregnancy who is probably not going to be fit to consent to anything.

By removing the need to "prove" she is depressed "enough" for an abortion during the first trimester, that will remove the risk of a woman who cannot bear this pregnancy still finding herself pregnant months later.

Yes, very good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

2 doctors (or in an emergency, 1 doctor) will be able to make the decision to terminate if either the fetus has no chance of survival (FFA or a miscarriage in progress) or the health of the mother is endangered.
    I'd agree with the first part alright. It may well be allowed already under the 8th, but nobody has ever legally tested it.
    The nearest situation I know of is when an Irish court ordered life support for a foetus to be switched off, after being satisfied it had no chance of survival.
    An "equal right to life" cannot be vindicated if there is no chance of life anyway. That is the reasoning behind legalised abortion when there is a threat of suicide, as currently allowed under the 8th.

The second part is meaningless really. The word "health" is so open to interpretation that it basically means "abortion on demand". A pregnancy is tough on the body and could easily contribute to dental and skin problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I have to admire the pro-lifers for the way they've management create this "abortion on demand" narrative.

They seem to be pushing this image that we'll suddenly see these queues of women down the street outside of a clinic on a Monday morning for their presto-chango fix.

It's completely ridiculous. People in countries that have legalised abortion do not use it as a method of contraception.

I know people that have made trips for abortions & it wasn't a fun jaunt for them, it was a serious decision & procedure & I fully support their rights to make that decision.

I don't like using such strong terms but i really do hate pro-lifers

Advertisement