Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sally Gap - conditions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd make sure you wear cycling gloves, so you don't destroy your hands when you fall ;)

Sean Kelly explained the difficulties about this one time on eurosport...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It will be Dark!..i'd bring gloves and LIGHTS..if I was going...but i'm not. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am thinking of going over Sally Gap tonight, what do we think about conditions?

Beautiful clear skies. Bring your telescope.

Should be able to see Milky Way before the moon rises. Jupiter should look great just above to right of the moon.

Wear body armour for the occasional falls on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I am thinking of going over Sally Gap tonight, what do we think about conditions?

We think you should leave manwithaplan the key to your shed before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

uphillonly wrote: »
    Beautiful clear skies. Bring your telescope.

Should be able to see Milky Way before the moon rises. Jupiter should look great just above to right of the moon.

Wear body armour for the occasional falls on ice.

Would you know of any good spots where to safely set up a scope? My C6 needs some starlight :) Last time I had it out was in February and that's only from my light polluted back garden :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I was going to head up tonight around midnight to get a good gawk at Alpha Centauri. I've had 4 pints but unfortunately the weather is not cold enough tonight. I'll wait for a proper snowfall.

TooWarm.jpg

Roll on spring. I like a spin over Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Ah it's only goes as low as minus 2!!!

Light weights. HTFU!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Well?.....

Depends on what hospital he is in and if it has wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazermc wrote: »
    Depends on what hospital he is in and if it has wifi.
    If it's Beaumont, he won't have been seen by a doctor yet and will probably be on a trolley until Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You need to do the 12 pubs before setting out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Well how'd you get on?

Frozen-Bike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Iceman-oetzi_dieentdeckung.jpg

That's Ötzi the Neolithic Ice Man incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Thinking of taking a spin up there this afternoon/evening, loop from Citywest from Manor Kilbride, back down through Tallaght. Anyone up there today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Was planning a cycle taking in most of the Military road in Wicklow tomorrow. Weather conditions look great - apart from the wind: link :(

Winds of 12 m/s (43 km/h) might sound ok but if it is like today, it will be very gusty - and it very exposed up there.

Will I look for alternatives or should it be ok :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

route66 wrote: »

Was up there a couple of weeks ago when it was only mildly blowy in Ballyboden and it was very dodgy further along the Military road. I certainly wouldn't be rushing up there tomorrow. Enniskerry - Old long hill - back roads to Laragh might be a better option. You'd know well enough by the featherbeds, so could always go that way, and turn off at Glencree to get to Enniskerry and on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I think the appearance of this thread on my feed could be viewed as the first sign of spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

route66 wrote: »
    Was planning a cycle taking in most of the Military road in Wicklow tomorrow. Weather conditions look great - apart from the wind: link :(

Winds of 12 m/s (43 km/h) might sound ok but if it is like today, it will be very gusty - and it very exposed up there.

depnds on which way you're going, last week I did the dublin/blessington/wicklow gap stretch into the wind which wasn't too bad, plenty of shelter especially on the later stages of the climbing. Tail wind all the way home via Laragh, Sallygap, featherbeds, if i'd been fitter I'd have smashed every PB ;) The oither way around would have been just pure hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Any one up there today/recently? Any ice snow etc? I don't mind the wind too much but nervous in slippery conditions.

I was thinking of heading up through Stepaside - Enniskerry and sheltering along the south side of the valley up to military road (the one that goes to the back entrance of Powerscourt)

Ta

NMG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Any one up there today/recently? Any ice snow etc? I don't mind the wind too much but nervous in slippery conditions.

I was thinking of heading up through Stepaside - Enniskerry and sheltering along the south side of the valley up to military road (the one that goes to the back entrance of Powerscourt)

Ta

NMG

I was there yesterday perfect roads but still hilly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Climbed up Stocking Lane today, only went as far as Glencree and turned left down the valley. On the Military Road was the most insane crosswind I've ever experienced. Bike very nearly blown sideways out from under me. I would not recommend going up there when it's as windy as it is today.

Otherwise ok though. No sign of snow or ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I was up there on Saturday before the snow, I'll second that about the wind. I headed up to Kippure and it was absolutely howling up at the top. Very very hairy descent. I'm a bit lacking in cop on, it's definitely not for the sensible. It wasn't bad at all till the feather beds but once you get there I'd say the wind gained a good 10- 15 kmph and easily the same againif not more near the summit. Still a great climb though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Survived anyway...went at it from the waterworks just to really torture myself...
    Only hairy part was coming down the gap towards to Kippure estate...crosswind from the left was about 15 m/s.
    Oh arms are about 1ft longer from wrestling the handlebars all the way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Headed up Sally Gap yesterday. Got plenty of shelter on the southern side of Of the valley as hoped for. The military road was a different story, especially after Lough Bray. Very strong cross/head wind all the way to the gap. When I got there I turned left and back over Long Hill to Enniskerry. It took me 4:26 for 100.6 km. I normally be thinking around the four ten hour mark for that spin but the wind was very tough.

Nice and mild though. Took off the leg warmers for the sunny spin home from enniskerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Had a long hard look at a few forecasts before deciding to head up from Manor Kilbride this morning. Perfect, but I didn't hang around at the top and the descent to Roundwood was great gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Any snow still around the Saly gap from last week or has it all cleared? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

It was perfectly clear today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Plastik wrote: »
    It was perfectly clear today.

This.

Few patches of ice on the way to the featherbeds from the viewpoint at about 10 this morning though.

As always be mindful of sheltered or wind blasted sections where ice might linger longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Is it spring already?

Advertisement