Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think time is cyclical or linear?

Options
  • 12-02-2018 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

It's starting to feel more the former the more I look into it.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think time travels backwards, in a straight line - and I reckon there's no-one out there that can disprove that theory....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

According to the clock on my wall time goes around in a circle. It also makes a ticking noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Time stands still everything else moves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cyclical or Linear time are mostly linked to religious or philosophical viewpoints. Personally I think it is a matter of Time being, fundamentally, linear with cycles along the way or that absolute physical time is linear but subjective time runs in cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Or a flat circle. And it has the best guitar solo of all time, and not comfortably numb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

All I know it creates wrinkles,hair in places I've never noticed and blurred images.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Hypothetically, if Einstein-Rosen bridges (wormholes) exist, it might be possible to send something backwards or forwards in time. If that were true, time would not be fully linear. I think.

294?cb=20161222153324

https://www.space.com/20881-wormholes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Absolute time doesn't exist.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

with cycles along the way or that absolute physical time is linear but subjective time runs in cycles.

That's good. I likes cycles :pac:

zuutroy wrote: »
    Absolute time doesn't exist.

Absolutely!

• Advertisement

Death created time to grow the things that it would kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Subjective time is linear, and that’s good enough for me.

OK, if you want the definitive answer look towards Bowie:

Time, he flexes like a whore
    Falls w@nking to the floor
    His trick is you and me, boy

Sounds like it's neither straight nor circular to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Per OPs original question..

cyclical for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

time doesnt exist.

we just made it up to make keeping track easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"The Primary Universe is fraught with great peril. War, plague, famine and natural disaster are common. Death
    comes to us all.
    The Fourth Dimension of Time is a stable construct, though it is not impenetrable.Incidents when the fabric of the Fourth Dimension becomes corrupted are incredibly rare.
    If a Tangent Universe occurs, it will be highly unstable, sustaining itself for no longer than several weeks.Eventually it will collapse upon itself, forming a black hole within the Primary Universe capable of destroying all
    existence."
    -Roberta Sparrow (THE PHILOSOPHY OF TIME TRAVEL)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

time flies like an arrow,

fruit flies like a banana

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I think time travels backwards, in a straight line - and I reckon there's no-one out there that can disprove that theory....

• Advertisement

It's a wave pattern.

Theories must be: consistent, parsimonious, correctable, empirically testable/verifiable, useful, and progressive

Yours fails in at least one criteria.

kneemos wrote: »
    It's a wave pattern.

Bean-The-Ultimate-Disaster-Waving.gif

Theories must be: consistent, parsimonious, correctable, empirically testable/verifiable, useful, and progressive

Yours fails in at least one criteria.
    You are assuming the rules of science, as you believe you know them, are valid. None of us know - we may all be puppets - everything may be pre-ordained under a set of rules we will never know about let alone understand

I, for one, subscribe to pleas advice's theory, with the addition of the number 42. Again I have no way of verifying or discounting this potential outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Beasty wrote: »
    You are assuming the rules of science, as you believe you know them, are valid. None of us know - we may all be puppets - everything may be pre-ordained under a set of rules we will never know about let alone understand

I, for one, subscribe to pleas advice's theory, with the addition of the number 42. Again I have no way of verifying or discounting this potential outcome...

Many the religion has been based on less solid theology.

Praise the prophet pleas advice and his venerable acolyte Beasty.

Does time travel slower for those on the equator because they're travelling faster?
    Suppose I take a high speed train to work every morning. Do I age less than someone who walks?

kneemos wrote: »
    Does time travel slower for those on the equator because they're travelling faster?
    Suppose I take a high speed train to work every morning. Do I age less than someone who walks?
    That's what Einstein thought - at the end of the day he did not use it to his own advantage! Of course, it's all relative;)

But yes - that should happen, but the impact is probably so small to be unmeasurable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

The circle of life applies to life in general.

Your own personal life is like a straight line that ends abruptly. Horray!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I was going to post what I think about time but my head melted and I hit clear text.

Advertisement