Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Weather graphics.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

AOH77A wrote: »
    Terrible graphics and hopefully the voiceover is a once off. Not the same without a presenter.

I think it was a technical glitch.if it were a presentation change I think the graphics shown would be different,in the form of a few different graphics as they went through the forecast like they did in the 80s.

Oddly it felt like going back in time,with the 'new' hideous retro graphics and the voice over presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

why did they hire skeletor to do the weather?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

They might as well get the white stick from the late 70s now as well.
    The changes are quite frankly pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

How hard can it be to make the weather legible?
    All this squinty eyes isn't good.

ns8yCpe.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Had a L where there should have been a H just now (and it's the Azores H at that! You'd think someone would have spotted it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looks like the BBC Weather is now making the transition from the UK Met over the Meteogroup, with some nice graphical forecasts now on their site, which go out to about 6 or 7 days:

uip.png

Source: https://www.bbc.com/weather/0/2964180

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looks like the BBC Weather is now making the transition from the UK Met over the Meteogroup, with some nice graphical forecasts now on their site, which go out to about 6 or 7 days:

uip.png

Source: https://www.bbc.com/weather/0/2964180

I think they transitioned last year

Meanwhile new on the sky news weather slots is a credit at the bottom of the screen saying ‘Data supplied by the met office’
    I hadn't seen that before
    It’s as if either SKY or the met office want to make THE point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

I think they transitioned last year

Meanwhile new on the sky news weather slots is a credit at the bottom of the screen saying ‘Data supplied by the met office’
    I hadn't seen that before
    It’s as if either SKY or the met office want to make THE point

The change over was delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭pauldry

I dont like the RTE graphics at all

Why cant they use the radar they have on twitter in Met Eireann on website AND TV?

The maps on bbc weather without the stupid clouds were hideous at first but now they are the most effective. Sky uses them too so why is RTE in a timewarp?

Probably the same reason why RTE never has any good quizzes like BBC or ITV.....just no originality or imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭pad199207

The 5 min composite radar should be accessible on the website. If it was subscribable I’d pay it. The radar is top notch.

Compared to the rubbish one on the website now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pauldry wrote:
    Probably the same reason why RTE never has any good quizzes like BBC or ITV.....just no originality or imagination.

Funding

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Funding

Or is it the manner in which the funding is utilized?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I am really liking the new graphics and look to BBC Weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Funding

Lack of money is not an inhibitor of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Funding

A royalty-free pack of weather vector graphics can be readily sourced and downloaded for an average expenditure of $10usd.

Basic legibility assessment costs next to nothing, just takes a quick look by one or more people, and a yes or no to approve them for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The BBC gives a much clearer and more accurate forecast over yer mans shoulder.
    They don't even explain themselves very well on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,859 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Joanna Donnelly just acknowledged, mid-forecast, that the temperature graphics on the yellow background are difficult to see, and that they "are working on it".

Good to hear, finally, but who passed them as fit for purpose in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Joanna Donnelly just acknowledged, mid-forecast, that the temperature graphics on the yellow background are difficult to see, and that they "are working on it".

Good to hear, finally, but who passed them as fit for purpose in the first place?

I heard her say that alright.
    I have no problem with them or seeing them personally, but they must be getting complaints, so I guess they are acknowledging and acting to fix the problem.

They were changed on the 9 news forecast, the numeral now appears in dark blue against the yellow background with white border, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,356 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They were changed on the 9 news forecast, the numeral now appears in dark blue against the yellow background with white border, problem solved.

No harm. The colour scheme just wasn’t working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭pauldry

Next get the twitter radar on website Joanna.

Fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭pad199207

Far far better. Now just to get rid of those embarrassing weather icons.

The ‘Gale’ icon looks like steam coming out of a boiling kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

pad199207 wrote: »
    Far far better.

White numbers on yellow background kindergarten graphics still on the lunchtime forecast yesterday and today.

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    White numbers on yellow background kindergarten graphics still on the lunchtime forecast yesterday and today.

Flippin heck. Maybe Joanna has been changing her own forecasts by hand with MS Paint.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Macy0161 wrote: »
    NewsNow is rumoured to be going.

Any update on this yet? :confused:

It could be my imagination or has anyone else noticed since the introduction of the new weather symbols,they tend to use the cloud,rain predictive sequences and wind flow charts more and more,and focus less on the weather symbol charts.

Perhaps they are slowly trying to wean people off this type of traditional weather graphic presentation and come more inline with the BBC presentation style.

I personally get a much more accurate picture of the weather when the show the rainfall/cloud predictive sequences.

This may also explain the hideous weather symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

It is annoying that so many people are complaining about these new graphics and yet nobody at base had seen how bad they are. We have no intention of buying a 50" screen TV but programme makers seem to think we all have one, the titles/credits are so tiny that it is impossible to read most of them but back to the weather; Are we to assume that the nearer we live to Athlone the more accurate will be as far as the summary is concerned (in our case it is 90Km) . I would also love to know why there is such a small depiction of the map of Ireland. I get to see the west coast of Britain and a lot of The Atlantic and very little of Ireland which makes no sense to me at all. The graphics might improve when the possibility of fog is gone.

Joanna Donnelly referred to the graphics as "old fashioned" after the 9 news.

It's becoming apparent now that they are begining to focus more on the rain,cloud sequences instead of the dated weather symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

For older people it must be very difficult to make out the 'new' graphics where there is almost no contrast in colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

For older people it must be very difficult to make out the 'new' graphics where there is almost no contrast in colours.

For both young and old I would think.

I wonder are the graphics supplied by RTE Graphics or Met Éireann??

Advertisement