Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Numbers Calling? SCAM calls.

Options
  • 28-01-2018 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been getting lots of strange calls from foreign numbers since signing up with Crypto exchanges? I am now getting a few a week off different numbers.

It is funny because a friend who I recently went through the whole process of signing up to the same sites over the last few weeks got his first random call this morning.

I got the same call this morning from an identical number in Slovenia. Maybe the scammers have got the list of numbers from somewhere else but just want to see if anyone here is having similar experience to gauge if there is any correlation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

what sites have you signed up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

cravings wrote: »
    what sites have you signed up with?

Too many to mention :p

But the ones we would have in common are Coinbase, Kraken and Binance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

People are far to quick to give out personal info.....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Been getting them often enough. But my partner and family get them the odd time too recently.

None of them are on exchanges with their number a listed, I think it’s just Irish numbers being targeted, and the link between exchanges, Crypto and receiving these numbers is just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Thanks, I am aware of those scams. I was a little more worried that sensitive details were out there somewhere and could be used to make plays at accounts I hold online. It does seem the more likely explanation is just that this is part of the general scam calls you describe.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are you with Vodafone or Three / have an 087 number?

Premium number scams have been running a lot lately from foreign numbers - the idea is that you get a missed call, ring them back and then get charged high call fees.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/wangiri-phone-scam-sweeping-across-ireland-is-unprecedented-say-operators-36240323.html

I’m with none of the above, nor am an 087 number. Nor have I recently signed up to anything new, but have been getting those calls roughly once a week since November. Phone rings twice only. Last one was from Estonia. Others have been from Slovenia. I usually block the number immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If you ever sold anything on websites like Gumtree or Donedeal that show your mobile number you are more likely to get targeted too. It has been happening my wife. She had an ad on Gumtree and while the ad is long gone some other site seems to have taken a screen scrape so it's online for for eternity. Google your mobile number to see.

Advertisement