Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Funny how a wildly off topic stream of crap about Sandgrens personal life wasn't deleted and other things are. You can't pick and choose things to censor based on your own agenda. It's inconsistent and poor modding.

1 - I wasn't here last week.
    2 - today's posts were nonsense attacks on a player and their family based on nothing.
    3 - Arguing with Mods is also against forum rules.
    4 - Stick to the Australian Open tennis or I will start handing out bans. Final warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Fair play to Cilic, great hitting just when I thought he would fade away. Still think Fed will rally in this 5th and take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

1 - I wasn't here last week.
    2 - today's posts were nonsense attacks on a player and their family based on nothing.
    3 - Arguing with Mods is also against forum rules.
    4 - Stick to the Australian Open tennis or I will start handing out bans. Final warning.

It was neither baseless or nonsense but grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

They breached forum rules and if you don't know why then you probably shouldn't be posting here. That is the last I am saying about it. Stick to the tennis.

We must be speaking of different posts so, or else you just don't like different opinions.

The ones im referring to were talking about the mens game in general - but had a lot of meaning for this Australian Open - so was still on topic.

Anyway 2.2 Vamos Cilic!!!!!

LAST TIME. THE POSTS DELETED THIS MORNING WERE NOT ABOUT TENNIS. THEY WERE ABOUT ONE PLAYER AND HIS FAMILY AND CONTAINED BASELESS AND RUDE ACCUSATIONS. I WILL NOT DISCUSS THIS ANY FURTHER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

TomSweeney wrote: »
    We must be speaking of different posts so, or else you just don't like different opinions.

The ones im referring to were talking about the mens game in general - but had a lot of meaning for this Australian Open - so was still on topic.

There was posts deleted from a banned poster that talked about the men's game. Those the ones you mean?

Cilic fired up for this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Let's not be rude lads.

Fascinating match here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks to be all but over now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Game over familiar winner

Men’s tennis: snooze fest

LAST TIME. THE POSTS DELETED THIS MORNING WERE NOT ABOUT TENNIS. THEY WERE ABOUT ONE PLAYER AND HIS FAMILY AND CONTAINED BASELESS AND RUDE ACCUSATIONS. I WILL NOT DISCUSS THIS ANY FURTHER.
    I wasn't talking about the family ones!!!!

Typical mod - focus focus on one point (even if not related)
    anyway, thats a ban for me ...

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Game over familiar winner

Men’s tennis: snooze fest

Cilic can be proud tonight, he gave it his all and a very respectable scoreline .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Cilic can be proud tonight, he gave it his all and a very respectable scoreline .

agree but moral victories Are no use

I wasn't talking about the family ones!!!!

Typical mod - focus focus on one point (even if not related)
    anyway, thats a ban for me ...

I went back and double checked and there is not one thing about actual tennis in the 3 posts I deleted. And yes, you are now banned. Not that it will matter now the tournament is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,961 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What a champion. What a winner...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I love that man.

Greatest ever champion.

Greatest ever sportsperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well done, Federer !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭ballyargus

the guy from Kia is a bit of a boring Sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Federer dug deep when he really needed to and came up with #20

Greatest of all time!

Great match overall.

Cilic could have taken that match. Federer showed the championship class at the key moments. (particularly the first game of the 5ht set where he saved break points).

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

20 Grand Slams, unbelievable... even more unbelievable at 36 and doing it when questions were asked of him by Cilic when he forced a final set.

#GOAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Surely not just the greatest tennis player that's ever lived, but one of the greatest sportsmen of all time in any sport?

Congrats, Roger. We're lucky to be able to witness your brilliance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Well done federer and a great game to end the tournament.

Cilic came of age this fortnight and I'm sure he'll retire with at least another slam to his name

Pretty average tournament overall, sadly, and horrendous thread here! Hopefully more sanity at the rest of the slams this year. Ok, let's not expect miracles at Wimbledon :D

As for the tennis, a few interesting subplots for 2018. federer looked a bit more human today and he's got a big target on his back now. Cilic should contend at wimbledon and USO and will this run out have benefitted Djokovic in the long run? Is it the beginning of the end for Rafa?

Pity with the daft scheduling we won't see much big tennis till late March

Well done Fed, a true legend! Good to see Cilic make a match of it, and not disintegrate like Wimbledon last year, had he broke in that first game of the 5th set, who knows what could have happened! Fed dug deep and his mental resolve, more than anything, got him through.

Very emotional here, dare I say it could be his last time coming to Melbourne? Hope not!

totally unforeseen fall-off in quality in men's tennis in terms of the incumbent top 5 (Djko, Murray, Stan) and failure of the younger generation to be able to contend properly at the 2-week 5-set grand slam format (Zverev, Krgios, Dimitriov etc) has allowed Fed back in to take 3 slams after it looked like he was done as his last slam was 2012 before last years AO.
    Absolutely nobody would have predicted Fed and Nadal sharing the slams at 2 each in 2017 at the start of last year.

what were these banned posts about anyways? the only interesting thing about the thread.

jr86 wrote: »
    Well done federer and a great game to end the tournament.

Cilic came of age this fortnight and I'm sure he'll retire with at least another slam to his name

Ya, he will surely win another, at the moment I think he looks most likely outside of the Big4. Dimitrov let me down big time in this tournament, flatters to deceive, unfortunately.
    Pretty average tournament overall, sadly, and horrendous thread here! Hopefully more sanity at the rest of the slams this year. Ok, let's not expect miracles at Wimbledon :D

Not a patch on last years tournament, which was one of the best GS in a long time. Lots of injuries disrupted the mens side this year. Hopefully we won't get similar scenarios in the FO and SW19 in the summer.
    As for the tennis, a few interesting subplots for 2018. federer looked a bit more human today and he's got a big target on his back now. Cilic should contend at wimbledon and USO and will this run out have benefitted Djokovic in the long run? Is it the beginning of the end for Rafa?

Pity with the daft scheduling we won't see much big tennis till late March

In fairness, how many times has that been said before, and how many times has it been emphatically answered. He's coming off the back of a great season, 2 slams, and No.1. Given the state of the mens game, I see another FO looming. He won't be going anywhere for a while, especially now that Fed has No.20, I bet Rafa will do everything he can to chase that down (I don't think he will get there though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

TomSweeney wrote:
    This match needs Nadal. Mens tennis is in big trouble when an almost 37 yr old can just saunter his way to the title.

He's not your avg. Tennis player Tom, he's the goat.

Hopp Schwizzz!! Legend and a humble a champion as you could find.
    Great match.

P.s. Not sure what the poster meant about giving adv. To Cilic opening the roof. It's not exactly cold in the summer where Rodger grew up :D
    Congrats to Cilic as well. Impressive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Soak it up folks we'll never see another sportsman quite like him again! Wins everything and yet gets more popular, it's an extremely difficult combination.

Was a ropey enough performance in parts, Cilic just didn't have the consistency to really force the issue. On to RG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

When the tears started at the end of the speech, did anyone else think he was about to announce he wasn't coming back next year?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh dear, seems I missed a fun thread this morning. Was it that same poster that's already been banned about four or five time this tournament alone? So sad, know when to give up.

Can't say Federer getting another slam fills me with joy tbh. Wasn't thrilled with yesterday's result either, but there we go. Overall I thought the tournament was pretty poor, not many great matches. Kerber-Hsieh was probably my favourite match.

• Advertisement

When the tears started at the end of the speech, did anyone else think he was about to announce he wasn't coming back next year?

no.

Fed only cares about 3 slams these days - 6 weeks of the year he really prepares for.

could go on for another few years.

he's just so professional and loves winning GS's and isn't bored of it.

20 in the men's game is some number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement