Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I see people on boards saying to test to see if you can get 4g on the router outside your house first before considering to get an antenna or not. Wouldnt that be a false test since the antenna can help the router pick up a 4g signal better than the routers own antenna?

I was going to get both antenna and router and test it, but confused now that I see people saying to test router outside first to see if it can pick up 4g on its own first before opting for antenna.

Yes they can be higher gain but not miracle workers. Remember this tech is built for handsets primarily which have micro antennae. Testing the base unit is an indication as to what is available with your LOS which is the most important factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 briankell74

Hi
    A quick update on above:
    Recently Three upgraded to a 4G mast in my LOS about 9KM away and i now have 50 Mbps down and 40Mbps up rarely dropping below 20 Mbps at peak times on their AYCE plan. This all with the external antenna mentioned before.Happy Days.
    Another question hoping someone has the answer?
    As i do not get a public IP address on the router (I get a 10.x.x.x address) can I still use the port forward option to play the play station 4.
    Or do I also need Three to open the ports (as this is the AYCE plan ) ??

You cant open the ports as your IP is a private one.

10.0.0.1 (You), 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3... all appear as 86.42.1.1 (Made up) so forwarding a port would take it away from other customers.

The solution is to get three to give you a public address all to yourself then forwarding will function.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 briankell74

Would giving the PS4 a static IP and placing in DMZ on the router make a difference to playing on line or is this the same principal as opening the ports.
    I cant see three giving me a public IP as I am using a mobile PAYG AYCE SIM in a TP Link Sim enabled router ??

They do it, just say its for a VPN connection to your office that you need.

Opening ports etc is not required for online gaming 99.9% of the time. Its an online myth purported by the PSN/XBL support teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had an antenna that did actually make a difference to speeds and or signal? I have tired several and most actually made the signal worse.

I am using a huawei router/4g modem. I get 1-3 bars depending on conditions and 4 the odd time. Speeds vary drastically but contention may be an issue.

Anyone used parabolic?

Really looking for a recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

M5 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Has anyone had an antenna that did actually make a difference to speeds and or signal? I have tired several and most actually made the signal worse.

I am using a huawei router/4g modem. I get 1-3 bars depending on conditions and 4 the odd time. Speeds vary drastically but contention may be an issue.

Anyone used parabolic?

Really looking for a recommendation

You need a MIMO ANTENNA for 4G LTE. When buying an Antenna, you need to consider the frequency it supports. Network Operators in Ireland supports various frequencies, so you need make sure that the antenna you are buying currently supports the frequency that your chosen operator currently runs on.

Refer to the following frequency table for LTE:
    - Three - 800/1800MHz
    - O2 - 800/1800MHz
    - Vodafone
    - Meteor - 800/1800MHz, LTE

You should be looking something similar to this antenna:
    Poynting XPOL2
    https://www.novatel.ie/trade/9dbi-cross-polarised-high-gain-outdoor-lte-panel-antenna-xpol-2

The XPOL2 can operate at 698 - 2700 MHz frequencies. LTE is either on 800 or 1800MHz depending on your chosen Operator. So the XPOL 2 will be able to work on LTE and can solve your signal reception problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Excellent and informative thread, thanks!

I set up a Huawei B528 Router on the Vodafone network yesterday for my Sister who lives about 15km Northwest of Mullingar. I got about 5Mbps down in the house on the 3G network (reporting full bars), with no 4G signal. That's actually better than what she had!

If I bring the Router out into her front garden, I get 1 Bar 4G and about the same speeds.

I'm wondering if an antenna will help, but like a lot of other people, I'm confused by what type, cable length restrictions etc. etc.

I checked out this site:

http://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

But couldn't find the closest Vodafone 4G mast, they all seem to be Meteor and 3. Any idea what the closest Vodafone 4G mast to Ballynacarrigy (a village near her house) would be? Then at least I can try to point the router in that direction from the house to see if it would help.

After that, I have the usual questions, what antenna to get, will it increase 1bar 4G to more bars 4G etc. etc. Basically, will the money on the Antenna be money well spent?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I have B525 router, I used antenna more than one type, the router antenna is stronger, the only thing the antenna does is it gets you signal if you have only outside signal.
    Imagine uses antenna so they must have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

siteviewer doesn't seem to be showing voda masts in the area , I set up a fried further down the r393 towards Carrickboy at that time siteviewer showed vod 4g sites at Carrickboy, Ardagh Hill, there is another one at Forgney Just beyond the church
    I cant remember if voda were on the Frewin hill site, if you look around Ballinacarrigy on the Mullingar road the antennas are pointing towards
    Frewin hill and in the vilage itself some of the antenna are directed towards Ardagh if your out the Castletown road you might hit the mast at Forgney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

I'm using my mobile phone as a personal hotspot rather than a 4G router.

I need to improve the LTE signal on the Three network (800Mhz / 1800Mhz).

What sort of antenna should I be looking for?

Carnmore wrote: »
    I'm using my mobile phone as a personal hotspot rather than a 4G router.

I need to improve the LTE signal on the Three network (800Mhz / 1800Mhz).

What sort of antenna should I be looking for?

You cant attach an antenna to phone (well, not without soldering).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you really want to improve your 3g/4g reception then use a directional antenna with the highest gain you can find/afford.
    Don't use omni-directional antennae.

For 4G/LTE you'll need a pair of antennae...something like these:

http://tablelandscomputers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/LPDA-Logarithmic-Periodic-Dipole-Antenna.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

As ED E said, you can't connect a mobile phone to antenna, I am not sure about signal boosters but they are illegal in Ireland
    If you receive any internet in your phone, then you will get very good speed using a router, but then you have to buy another sim card for the router.
    This one will give you good speed and you won't need antenna

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y2HDQHL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I am not sure about signal boosters but they are illegal in Ireland

Are they illegal in Ireland? Here's an Irish company selling them http://www.stelladoradus.com/product-category/home-mobile-signal-boosters/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Carnmore wrote: »
    Are they illegal in Ireland? Here's an Irish company selling them http://www.stelladoradus.com/product-category/home-mobile-signal-boosters/

Until recently you couldn't buy directly from them here, only via one of their European resellers ;)

But I see they are now showing the Irish mobile networks on the product pages but Ireland is missing from the calculate shipping drop-down list.

untitled3.png

Consultation on legalising their use here published recently - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105527657#post105527657

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

hey,

I was planning on getting this.

will a longer cable from the aerial to the router reduce the speed or is it like Ethernet cables and you are fine once you dont go over 100m?

thanks

Shorter the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

grimeire wrote: »
    hey,

I was planning on getting this.

will a longer cable from the aerial to the router reduce the speed or is it like Ethernet cables and you are fine once you dont go over 100m?

thanks

This is also available from the same seller on Amazon & shipping is much cheaper than on ebay. Am also in the market for a similar product so hope this does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Fyi

I have tested 2 setups:
    huawei b315 with directional antenna on the roof.

huawei b593 with 30 quid external non directional antenna stuck to outside of window.

The huawei b593 performs much better. I have heard it is a better router when signal is weak in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

adm wrote: »
    Fyi

I have tested 2 setups:
    huawei b315 with directional antenna on the roof.

huawei b593 with 30 quid external non directional antenna stuck to outside of window.

The huawei b593 performs much better. I have heard it is a better router when signal is weak in rural areas.

Hi adm of the 2 Antennas used which gave the better performance with the B593 if you don't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

spuddy01 wrote: »
    Hi adm of the 2 Antennas used which gave the better performance with the B593 if you don't mind?

The non directional one stuck on the outside of the window.

Similar to this:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mobile-Broadband-Antenna-Huawei-Aerial-Booster-B593-B315-B310-E5186-SMA-28dbi/273027006784?hash=item3f91ad8140:g:CTEAAOSwMVdYIzJg

This Antenna did absolutely nothing for the B315 oddly

All,

I ordered a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0002 Cross Polarised 4G Panel LTE Antenna and after a couple of weeks testing I can definitely say its worth the money.

Speeds throughout the day are higher and signal is marginally improved. Top end up and download have improved along with overall speeds.

It is currently installed in the attic, I'll move it outside when i get a chance and update if there are any significant improvements!

Thanks all for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

Which antennae is better: an omni-directional or high-gain? The one M5 bought is this I think (high gain antennae). I am using this one at home:https://www.irishwireless.net/xpol-a0001 (it was the one best recommended for the modem I was using).
    I think the high-gain ones are better but I believe certain antenna's don't work well with certain modems (and vica-versa)
    The whole area is a bit of a minefield.

lukin wrote: »
    Which antennae is better: an omni-directional or high-gain? The one M5 bought is this I think (high gain antennae). I am using this one at home:https://www.irishwireless.net/xpol-a0001 (it was the one best recommended for the modem I was using).
    I think the high-gain ones are better but I believe certain antenna's don't work well with certain modems (and vica-versa)
    The whole area is a bit of a minefield.

That's the one I ordered alright. My router/modem is a Huawei B315s-22 and I'm on Three 4G,hope that helps

That's the one I ordered alright. My router/modem is a Huawei B315s-22 and I'm on Three 4G,hope that helps

I am using the same modem and I am also on Three. I am thinking of changing to that antennae but I want to be sure it is better than the one I have first.

I am using the same modem and I am also on Three. I am thinking of changing to that antennae but I want to be sure it is better than the one I have first.

Order off Amazon, easy return if no improvement

Order off Amazon, easy return if no improvement

Amazon have it but don't deliver to Ireland. IrishWireless have it but charge 30% of the price if you return something.

• Advertisement

Amazon have it but don't deliver to Ireland. IrishWireless have it but charge 30% of the price if you return something.

Parcel motel?

Are restocking fees like tgst legal?

Advertisement