Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap Accepted - Landlords

Options
  • 25-01-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Ok So I have started this thread to see if there are any kind landlords on here that will accept the HAP scheme, the idea is to help people find landlords that are willing to accept the HAP scheme and connect via this thread.

I have been looking for over a year to try and find a landlord to accept the HAP scheme, the minute I mention HAP in an email on daft I know that Im not getting another reply.

I urge people to post there details of what type of property they are looking for, how much they are entitled to and the area which they would prefer.

I would also like to setup a poll asking landlords would they accept the HAP scheme and get some opinions in the thread.

Ok so some information about me and what I am looking for.

I am a 27 year old male from Dublin, I have 2 jobs full time in IT and part time security.
    I am entitled to €990 euro for a studio/apt/flat but can go up to 1300 as I have the means,
    I am willing to offer a cash deposit until the council payment clears.

Why is no one willing to rent to me on the HAP scheme? I mean they get deposit and 2 months in advance paid by Direct Debit, Will have no problems with rent as the council pay this no matter what.

Hopefully some landlords will see this thread and decide to help people struggling to find a place on the HAP scheme and get guaranteed rent on a contract from the council.

Would you accept the HAP Scheme? 136 votes

I am a landlord and would accept it
    27% 37 votes
    I am a landlord and wouldn't accept it
    18% 25 votes
    I am not a landlord but would accept it
    41% 56 votes
    I am not a landlord but wouldn't accept it
    13% 18 votes

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4 island_visitor

people in receipt of HAP have a reputation ( rightly or wrongly ) for spending there accomodation allowance ( they receive from the local authority ) on things other than the agreed rent to the landlord , then the landlord cannot evict so is left with no rent and a place they cant sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

people in receipt of HAP have a reputation ( rightly or wrongly ) for spending there accomodation allowance ( they receive from the local authority ) on things other than the agreed rent to the landlord , then the landlord cannot evict so is left with no rent and a place they cant sell

HAP is paid directly to the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

All LLs, when polled, will tell you they accept HAP, because they leave themselves open to prosecution if they don't. However, the reality is that none will actually accept HAP for very obvious reasons. There is currently a thread on this forum where a home owner cannot sell his property because the council has advised a welfare recipient to overhold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I think some landlords prefer if the tenant pays the rent/deposit themselves as an incentive to keep the place well.

amcalester wrote: »

Is it HAP payments which cease being made by the council if the tenant stops paying their portion of the rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

davo10 wrote: »
    All LLs, when polled, will tell you they accept HAP, because they leave themselves open to prosecution if they don't. However, the reality is that none will actually accept HAP for very obvious reasons. There is currently a thread on this forum where a home owner cannot sell his property because the council has advised a welfare recipient to overhold.

That's why I created the poll here to show the reality of the situation, as the poll is anonymous landlords will have no fear of telling the truth, and really I have been told by landlords no I don't want to deal with HAP, should I try get them prosecuted? Or would they even really be if I tried?

Doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

However, the reality is that none will actually accept HAP for very obvious reasons. T.

not to minimise the issues or reluctance of landlords...but...
    there are over 18,000 households in receipt of HAP and it is paid to over 10,000 landlords

so saying "none" is a bit of a distortion don't you think

Topdolla wrote: »
    That's why I created the poll here to show the reality of the situation, as the poll is anonymous landlords will have no fear of telling the truth, and really I have been told by landlords no I don't want to deal with HAP, should I try get them prosecuted? Or would they even really be if I tried?

Doubtful

Your poll is effectively asking posters if they are breaking the law.

Your poll is effectively asking posters if they are breaking the law.

It is down to the LL who they want to rent to, they are not breaking the law by choosing a cash tenant over a hap tenant, if they tell you the reason they won't rent to you is because of hap they would be breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sorry I have to ask - why if you have 1.5 jobs are you on HAP? If you can pay €310 on top of your HAP payment and presumably you're paying something towards HAP do you not rent a room like many twenty somethings do? I'm all for a safety net for families or single parents that fall on hard times but a young lad in his prime, and an employed one at that.

I know that's not PC and I'm usually fairly left wing but surely we have to draw the line somewhere.

• Advertisement

It is down to the LL who they want to rent to, they are not breaking the law by choosing a cash tenant over a hap tenant, if they tell you the reason they won't rent to you is because of hap they would be breaking the law.

Actually they are, if the only criteria is the method of payment. A LL who chooses a cash tenant over HAP is discriminating against the HAP tenant.

if the tenant stops paying the council , the council suspend paying the landlord

either way the unreliability of HAP tenants is based on this perception

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

How on earth with 2 jobs do you qualify for HAP(rent allowance) whatever you want to call it?

this country is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Is it HAP payments which cease being made by the council if the tenant stops paying their portion of the rent?

As far as I know, it's not a great system and has a lot of flaws but the landlord is paid directly rather than via the tenant.

Riskymove wrote: »
    not to minimise the issues or reluctance of landlords...but...
    there are over 18,000 households in receipt of HAP and it is paid to over 10,000 landlords

so saying "none" is a bit of a distortion don't you think

A considerable number will have moved onto HAP after being cash/RA tenants, a lot of rural LLs will have no option but to rent to HAP tenants. The question being asked by the op, if a LL has the option of a cash or HAP tenant, will he/she rent to HAP tenant, the answer is No, cash is preferable to government rent subsidy.

Actually they are, if the only criteria is the method of payment. A LL who chooses a cash tenant over HAP is discriminating against the HAP tenant.

that isn't correct landlords are not obliged to accept HAP tenant over a non-HAP tenant

that isn't correct landlords are not obliged to accept HAP tenant over a non-HAP tenant

That's a double edged sword, if a HAP applicant asks why they didn't get the property, the LL cannot say because the other applicant paid cash.

At the end of the day, it would be a pretty stupid LL who would say, I'm not taking HAP tenants, there are other criteria which can be applied in the selection process without having to consider cash -V- HAP

the answer is No, cash is preferable to government rent subsidy.

it may well be preferable but that doesn't mean none of them would accept HAP if that is what was on offer

That's a double edged sword, if a HAP applicant asks why they didn't get the property, the LL cannot say because the other applicant paid cash.

Landlord isn't obliged to give a reason, a simple "Thanks for your interest but I've decided to rent to someone else" will suffice.

• Advertisement

it may well be preferable but that doesn't mean none of them would accept HAP if that is what was on offer

The evidence on boards, where the op is conducting the poll, is the that posters rarely have anything positive to say about RA/HAP schemes.

Landlord isn't obliged to give a reason, a simple "Thanks for your interest but I've decided to rent to someone else" will suffice.

As with most cases of discrimination people are rarely that smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I wouldn't want to deal with HAP at all,
    They inspect the house and could demand changes, why take the risk of letting a tenant in only for it to get messy. If the property was pre approved for HAP maybe, it would depend on the tennant. I'd have zero tolerence for bull sh1t paper work too.

i asked on another thread if a landlord leases his house - apartment to the council for ten years under the long term lease scheme ( where the landlord has no direct dealings with the tenant and wont know how is living in the house )

is he or she sure of receiving the agreed rent even the tenant starts messing around and not paying the local authority ? , i think this is a great scheme for landlords but im hearing mixed messages on this particular potential problem arising

I wouldn't want to deal with HAP at all,
    They inspect the house and could demand changes, why take the risk of letting a tenant in only for it to get messy. If the property was pre approved for HAP maybe, it would depend on the tennant. I'd have zero tolerence for bull sh1t paper work too.

was told recently that when it comes to either the long term lease schemes or HAP , if your property is already in the system , such is the shortage of accommodation that they wont close the place down no matter how poor of condition the place is in

contrast this with landlords who are applying to have there properties accepted into the long term scheme and they make huge demands as regards what standard the property should be in , i had a surveyor check out a house for me recently , house is beautifully restored , the surveyor told me the council would not accept it as there is no upstairs bathroom , it was a two bed terraced town house , you could not hope to fit a bathroom upstairs unless you halved the size of one of the already smallish bedrooms

as usual the state is an ass and has no common sense

This is, yet again, a system that is easily fixed. The LA take over the property, ideally unfurnished at 80% of market rate and everyone goes through one system of social housing. The LA collect rent towards it's costs and deals with it's own messers. Of course we'll never see it done as fecking over LL's is probably saving a few million a year.

Sorry I have to ask - why if you have 1.5 jobs are you on HAP?

2.5 jobs if I'm reading this correctly. Even if they aren't paying well with 2.5 jobs surely you are earing too much for HAP? I dont even know how the logistics of this would work if they really are full time (8 hours per day) jobs.

2.5 jobs if I'm reading this correctly. Even if they aren't paying well with 2.5 jobs surely you are earing too much for HAP? I dont even know how the logistics of this would work if they really are full time (8 hours per day) jobs.

Stick a comma into the OP and it becomes 2 jobs, full time in IT and part time security.

No way could he be working 2.5 FTE, when would he sleep?

Sorry I have to ask - why if you have 1.5 jobs are you on HAP? If you can pay €310 on top of your HAP payment and presumably you're paying something towards HAP do you not rent a room like many twenty somethings do? I'm all for a safety net for families or single parents that fall on hard times but a young lad in his prime, and an employed one at that.

I know that's not PC and I'm usually fairly left wing but surely we have to draw the line somewhere.

Good argument, I have rented in shared accommodation in the past and its like a lucky bag, you don't know who or what you are going to be living with.

I like my privacy and if I could afford to rent my own place with cash I would, but unfortunately the lack of housing in this country is a disgrace and working as hard as I do I should be allowed have that.

• Advertisement

Good argument, I have rented in shared accommodation in the past and its like a lucky bag, you don't know who or what you are going to be living with.

I like my privacy and if I could afford to rent my own place with cash I would, but unfortunately the lack of housing in this country is a disgrace and working as hard as I do I should be allowed have that.

Whatever about the shortage of housing stock I’m not sure the state should supplement your lifestyle choice.

Advertisement