Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two & Two bars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 power123

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Looks like they'll be back in 2012.

2and2.jpg

hope they'll be back would like to try one :D fingers crossed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What about the good old 54321 bars,a classic bar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thank you to the OP. I remember these bars very clearly but couldnt remember the name of them. I regularly brought them up in conversations with people my own age and no one knew what i was talking about. I could remember that they were 9 squares (3x3) and that the wrapper was brown, cream and orange but the name eluded me. We used to visit my grandmother every saturday evening and she always produced one from her 'sweet cupboard' after tea, it was the highlight of each visit. I'm so glad i now have the name to go with the memory!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Heard on radio today:
    Two & Two making a comeback 2013,
    Whoop Whoop

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

These were my absolute favourite bars, I'm so looking forward to them returning to the shelves! I'll have to stock up on them this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I agree that the Two & Two was a truly excellent bar and look forward to its reemergence with keen anticipation, let's just hope it will be 'as was', and not digitally enhanced, so to speak.
    Does anyone know if Urney have any plans to re-release the much maligned 'Rovals' from their back catalogue?
    Known, by those who should have known better, as the poor man's 'Rolo', this robust chocolate caramel sweet really did have a lot to offer, shapelier and smoother than its supposed 'classier' rival, the chocolate on the Roval clung to the caramel centre with grim determination unlike the Rolo, where the chocolate bolted at the first sign of a set of 'knashers', leaving a thoroughly unsatisfactory taste experience.
    The 'litmus test', like for like, comparison was an easy one to perform.
    Take four of the delicious sweets - five at a push - and pop them into the gob 'in one go', chew vigorously and savour.
    Now administer the same test with the more expensive 'Rolo', frankly there is no comparison, for me the humble Roval wins every time.
    I would be interested to hear some other opinions on this debate, particularly if those opinions coincide with mine.
    Keep chewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Dad worked in Urney on Belgard Road in the 70's and we used to have lots and lots of Two and Two Bars (my favourites), Rovals AND Mint Rovals, which I loved, Catch Bars and Beanos. We also used to get some Turkish Delight (yuk)

The guys in Urneys also used to do a Friday swop with Jacobs across the Road, so on Friday would come home with Jacobs goodies as well as Urneys!
    Mikado was my favourite!

No wonder all the other kids wanted to be our friends.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

leincar wrote: »
    Two & Two Bars. Oh God the wonderful memories. Does anyone remember the Fruit Cocktail bar? It was the same shape and size as the Two & Two but I think it was dark chocolate with an orange and strawberry and I think lime filling. It was in a dark brown wrapper. It was indeed a beautiful thing.

I remember the lime flavoured Fruit Cocktail bar and the Two & Two bar too I would say about in the late 1970s early 1980s or thereabouts, absolutely delicious.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nsumick

Yep - 2&2 bar was a classic. The sweet shop next to my school in Waterford used to break up the bars and sell them by weight(probably cos they were out of date or damaged) so we would eat portions of the bar from a brown paper bag like a bag of sweets.

Any chance that the Two & Two bar is getting launched for the Xmas market, would love to get bars for my sisters who fondly remember them, as well as for myself, yummy.

• Advertisement

It's 2014 and still no TWOandTWO..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

blade1 wrote: »
    It's 2014 and still no TWOandTWO..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I remember the through the looking glass feeling when we moved to Ireland in the early 70s. Sure, we had BBC1 on the telly, and double decker buses, but no trains despite a station being just up the road, and the buses were weirdly infrequent.

And as for the sweets..

Cadburys and Mars, present. No Galaxy or Bar Six, but there were Rovals, and Urney Chocolate, and king of the lot, the Two and Two Bar.

Didn't stop me pestering my father to stop in some God forsaken part of the North to stock up on Forbidden Sweets when we went to Donegal though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I remember the through the looking glass feeling when we moved to Ireland in the early 70s. Sure, we had BBC1 on the telly, and double decker buses, but no trains despite a station being just up the road, and the buses were weirdly infrequent.

And as for the sweets..

Cadburys and Mars, present. No Galaxy or Bar Six, but there were Rovals, and Urney Chocolate, and king of the lot, the Two and Two Bar.

Didn't stop me pestering my father to stop in some God forsaken part of the North to stock up on Forbidden Sweets when we went to Donegal though :)

Rovals......jesus, that's a memory:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Rovals......jesus, that's a memory:D

Mint Rovals !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

eamonnq wrote: »
    Mint Rovals !!

Drool,

Any word on the 2&2 bars?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

As memory serves me, it was Cafferys Two & Two. Same company that made the time bar! Sure to cause, and remove a filling or 2!!!

As memory serves me, it was Cafferys Two & Two. Same company that made the time bar! Sure to cause, and remove a filling or 2!!!
    I clicked on this hoping there was news on this..:(:(:(
    You've ruined my day..:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I think Caffreys only made stuff AFTER Urneys went out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Two and Two bars to make a comeback this year. Apparently.

http://urneychocolates.com/

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Two and Two bars to make a comeback this year. Apparently.

http://urneychocolates.com/

I ain't falling for that again!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Just did a quick input for website: http://urneychocolates.com/
    The below placeholder is now coming up instead at cleeves.net although I did not find any date reference anywhere so; it's hard to tell when this was first published online or for how long the site the website is "under construction".

Welcome to Hazelbrook Confectionery, the home of Cleeves, Urney Chocolates, Iced Caramels, Merrytime and a wide range of chocolate and sugar confectionery from Ireland.

We have recently restructured our business and over the next month we will be restructuring our website to reflect some exciting new developments planned for our business. We have decided to feature Cleeves as our main brand for the future and our main website will be www.cleeves.net We will continue to use our Urney brand on certain products and enquiries to www.urneychocolates.com will be redirected to www.cleeves.net So we ask for your patience while this work is completed.

In the meantime should you wish to contact us, here are our contact details
    Hazelbrook Confectionery Ltd t/a Cleeves, Cutlery Road, Newbridge, Co Kildare, W12 AD85, Ireland. Tel 00353 45 434650
    Factory- Manufacturing : Garry Lawlor garry@hbcl.ie
    Admin / Finance : David Stone Registered Office 55 Dame St, Dublin 1 dstone@hbcl.ie
    Sales & New Products / Customers : Leo Cummins leo@hbcl.ie

As a business Hazelbrook can offer customers an extensive range of sugar confectionery and chocolate confectionery products, some of them totally unique.

Iced Caramels,
    Chocolate Caramels,
    Slab Toffee Bars,
    Toffees Assortment,
    Chocolate Bars,
    Chocolates,

Chocolate Novelties including advents, easter eggs, shaped chocolates and lollipops, Fudge and Assortment Packs.

With a growing export sales business we welcome enquiries from businesses who can offer comprehensive distribution in their markets. Hazelbrook also has a strong capability in customising packs for businesses at relatively low volumes.

Thank you for taking the time and interest to visit our website and we look forward to welcoming you back in the coming weeks when our new website is launched.

Copyright © Cleeves

I recall eating the Two & Two bars in my early childhood as a special treat. I think it was a large dark chocolate bar with a vanilla soft filling inside. If memory serves me correct, it may have been distributed by HB (not sure if it was same HB Ice Cream) as that's the company address I remember reading on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I recall eating the Two & Two bars in my early childhood as a special treat. I think it was a large dark chocolate bar with a vanilla soft filling inside. If memory serves me correct, it may have been distributed by HB (not sure if it was same HB Ice Cream) as that's the company address I remember reading on the back.
    Much more exotic than that!

It was a dark and milk chocolate (one Two) and vanilla and coffee fillings (the other Two) bar, but was 3 x 3 squares!

This was hands down my favourite bar of all, ever as a kid.

I got all excited reading through this thread (which I saw for the first time just now), but it seems to be just one false alarm after another :mad:

Below is image I would be familiar with EXCEPT; I never recall the name "Urney" written anywhere on the wrappers that I had bought and consumed and I would have eaten them from mid-late 1970's until they disappeared a number of years later. I was always fascinated in this bar as it was not Cadbury's or the usual confectionery firms to my mind at the time as a young child. HB sticks out in my mind which I could never understand as I thought HB could only make ice cream and not chocolate when I was a young child. Of course in late years you saw the introduction of MARS ice cream products etc;

http://www.chocolatewrappers.info/Sevropa/Irsko/ieurtwo.jpg

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It was a dark and milk chocolate (one Two) and vanilla and coffee fillings (the other Two) bar, but was 3 x 3 squares!

I got all excited reading through this thread (which I saw for the first time just now), but it seems to be just one false alarm after another :mad:

haha Well it was very unusual for me to choose "dark" also called "plain chocolate" but this was the exception. I was not into coffee flavour so never tasted that version. It was unique versus Cadbury, Rowntree Macintosh, Nestlé, MARS/Masterfoods confectionery of the day. It's so long since I saw it and tasted it so my memory is not accurate of both dark & milk and exact number of squares as I was quite young at the time. Happy days and more innocent times! I guess if there was the milk chocolate in there as well this might explain why I was willing to buy it as all plain would have been a step too far for my palate given that I always tended to prefer milk chocolate especially as a child/teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

haha Well it was very unusual for me to choose "dark" also called "plain chocolate" but this was the exception. I was not into coffee flavour so never tasted that version. It was unique versus Cadbury, Rowntree Macintosh, Nestlé, MARS/Masterfoods confectionery of the day. It's so long since I saw it and tasted it so my memory is not accurate of both dark & milk and exact number of squares as I was quite young at the time. Happy days and more innocent times! I guess if there was the milk chocolate in there as well this might explain why I was willing to buy it as all plain would have been a step too far for my palate given that I always tended to prefer milk chocolate especially as a child/teen.
    I was the unusual one in that I've always preferred dark choc! Milk chocolate has a lot more sugar in it, which always appeals to the younger palate (and accounts for the popularity of white chocolate which is basically pure sugar - yuck!)

This one was dark chocolate covering on top, and the base chocolate was the milk. I got the coffee bit wrong - I see from that wrapper you posted that it was fudge - and I remember it being grainy rather than the smooth creme that was often in those types of chocolate.

I LOVED it!

I was the unusual one in that I've always preferred dark choc! Milk chocolate has a lot more sugar in it, which always appeals to the younger palate (and accounts for the popularity of white chocolate which is basically pure sugar - yuck!)

This one was dark chocolate covering on top, and the base chocolate was the milk. I got the coffee bit wrong - I see from that wrapper you posted that it was fudge - and I remember it being grainy rather than the smooth creme that was often in those types of chocolate.

I LOVED it!

I just used the wrapper for "illustration purposes only" ;) - you know that line of print that appeared at the bottom edge of biscuit confectionery tins that permitted them to exclude certain varieties from time to time when they ran out of certain ingredients. You always felt cheated by that as it was permanently printed on the tins! I only seemed to opt for the vanilla filling. Indeed you are right about how sweet some forms of chocolate is. I always found that the white chocolate too sweet altogether. In fact, my first encounter with Nestlé would have been the "Nestlé Milky Bar" which was before Rowntree Macintosh had been bought out. The chocolate range and selection is nothing like it used to be. All the boxes of chocolates are pathetic these days as fewer varieties and even if different sweet, the ingredients are similar. I used love the bags of "Choffees" which were the chocolate covered square toffees. You buy a Cadbury's "Crunchie" or "Snack" sandwich purple biscuit and there is barely a coating of chocolate which devalues these products too much.

You'd really miss "Double Centres" which were a nice collection. Today's boxes of Cadbury's Roses & Milk Tray are crap and Nestlé Black Magic, Quality Street not great any more. MARS "Celebrations" is not too bad but could be better. I used like Lemon's Seasons Greeting box at Christmas time and I saw it on display in December but they were charging 10.00EUR whereas the larger tubs of Roses were half that price. I would imagine all confectioners have dramatically had to cut their costs if cocoa is more scarce and expensive.

Two & Two had a similar relation called the Cocktail Bar, dark chocolate I think with a lime centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

You're correct about the 9 squares.
    It was the only bar that defied the usual even numbered amount of squares.
    These squares were joined by a slightly larger than normal section of the two chocolate types without the filling making it particularly easy to break off the squares.
    This larger 'in between the squares' section was also a treat which I relished and could be nibbled off first before eating the main square.
    I think it cost about 20p.
    I'd happily pay up to 2 euro for a bar now :)

• Advertisement

When is this fecking bar gonna be ever launched, rumours since 2013. :)

Advertisement