Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declare your intentions

Options
  • 11-01-2018 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Time to set new goals? write them down, make them happen.

Feel free to add yours

= = = =

For 2018 I'm setting a overall distance goal of 5,000km. Which I should be able to hit if I keep motivated but I doubt I go much over.

Also there are 5 events I'm aiming to do
    1. 21km charity TT (mainly as I punctured in it last year so its unfinished buisness) http://carabundoranrun.com/

2. Tour de Connemara 140km http://tourdeconamara.ie

3. Yeats tour of Sligo 160km, assuming its on this year, I don't see it in any calendars http://www.tourofsligo.ie/

4. The Leitrim Glens 200km, this is my main goal, I did the 100km route last year
    which was a great day out but the 200km looks like a bitch with loads of climbing (https://www.facebook.com/leitrimglenssportive/)
    I doubt I'll finish it quickly as I don't climb fast but I'll be disappointed if I don't do it

5. Tour de Achill 100km - probably the cycle I found hardest last year, I need to go back and see how I feel about it this year https://www.facebook.com/events/411563032552405/

I've never really set a weight target last year but this year I'm aiming to drop about 12kg and get below 80kg

I really wanted to try an Audax also but there is only one near me and the weekend its on doesn't work for me, I might end up doing one yet if the oppertunity arrises

I've also set a bunch of smaller goals for myself(mainly to hit certain times on specific routes) but I won't bore ye with the details.

lets see how I get on with that lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Good idea:
    Goal is 4500 km, I had 4000km as last years goal and did 4250km so a bit extra.

Sportive's:
    SR Atlantic Challenge - 120km
    Tour de Burren - 100km
    Croi Galway 120km
    Ring of Clare - 120km
    Ring of Beara - 140km
    Aughty Challenge 120km
    Tour de Shams 120km

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have 10 of Barry's 20 things to do in 2018 done already, I'll try and work my way through a few more and I'm sure a few of them will be done again.

I paid my entry for my first Audax last night (Birr 200), I'd hope to get a few more in as well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Goal is 4000+ KLM’s this year. Last year I barely managed 2000kms due to a back injury. I’m hoping this year I can st least remain injury free and clock up some miles.

Total to date for 2018 = 0kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

My goal this year is also 5000km, or 100km a week, Managed over 1000km since starting out in August. Allowing for the odd week I don't make it, I should achieve that. I want to start doing longer runs during the week as well, when the weather and sunlight improves in the evenings I hope to do some 40-50km cycles regularly. Also I lost a stone last 6 months, so another lost stone or stone and a half wouldn't go astray and would bring me down to 12.5 or 12 stone. Can't do the Sportive's as I do kids parties on weekends and will copy routes and do them as time allows, hopefully with a friend. Hopefully not too ambitious and doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

2 goals for the year.
    Do 100% of the Evil 200 and get under 10 minutes on Kilmashouge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Keeping it simple so less chance of over-reaching. Anything above that is a bonus.
    1. Compete in the Steel City DH 2018 race
    2. Do one XC race for 2018
    3. Do one Enduro race for 2018
    4. Have a go at either Bike Park Wales or Fort William in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Race Around Ireland Ultra at the end of August. I'm good for the distance, I've just got to get faster!

In Audax terms I'd like to complete my 5th Randonnuer Round the Year in a row. I also want a Randonnuer 10,000 medal so I'll be riding a Super Randonnuer 600 in May somewhere in Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Race Around Ireland Ultra at the end of August. I'm good for the distance, I've just got to get faster!

In Audax terms I'd like to complete my 5th Randonnuer Round the Year in a row. I also want a Randonnuer 10,000 medal so I'll be riding a Super Randonnuer 600 in May somewhere in Wales.

Best of luck with all that.

Tinat.cymru would qualify you for the SR600.

How big is crew for RAI Ultra? You realise the man being lifted off bike in Nilig''s link is on top of Mahon Falls 400km odd from Navan... I'm actually in that link to

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

2 goals for the year.
    Do 100% of the Evil 200 and get under 10 minutes on Kilmashouge.

Not sure of other goals yet but I want to get below 11 minutes on Kilmashogue...11:11 is my current PR set nearly 5 years ago now :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to learn to wheelie properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

ford2600 wrote: »
    Best of luck with all that.

Tinat.cymru would qualify you for the SR600.

An SR600 has to be ridden as a Permanent rather than a Calendar event ( cos 600km and 10,000m of climbing in 60 hours isn't tough enough on its own)

http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/422%20-%20Rules.html

The French SR events have an added frisson:
    " Apart from the hazards of boar/deer running across the road the newer and increasing nuisance is not the reappearance of wolves its the dogs that are wolf deterrents. The dogs will engage anything that makes the sheep nervous. Not much use when you are descending a mountain at night."

An SR600 has to be ridden as a Permanent rather than a Calendar event ( cos 600km and 10,000m of climbing in 60 hours isn't tough enough on its own)

http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/422%20-%20Rules.html

The French SR events have an added frisson:
    " Apart from the hazards of boar/deer running across the road the newer and increasing nuisance is not the reappearance of wolves its the dogs that are wolf deterrents. The dogs will engage anything that makes the sheep nervous. Not much use when you are descending a mountain at night."

I forgot that.

I fairness to the French lady she does a couple of those a year from what I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

colm18 wrote: »
    Not sure of other goals yet but I want to get below 11 minutes on Kilmashogue...11:11 is my current PR set nearly 5 years ago now :eek:

You've already committed to the Evil so that can be another one for you:pac:

I'm under 10 minutes on some of the Orwell hill climb segments but not on the official segment,i'm at 10:12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The Ultra is only half the distance of the full RAI. You do the top half of the country then turn East at Oranmore and race back to Moynalty. Crew should be small enough, two vehicles to allow the crew to change over. In fact I'll have the easiest job, just ride the bike until I finish.

So far no woman has finished the Ultra so whatever I do, I'll be setting a record.

If anyone wants to sponsor me, give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭Macy0161

5,000km and race the club leagues.

Signed up for SRAC, and there's a few more sportives I've my eye on (Blackstairs, Orwell and the Wolftrap), but not ready to commit yet!

Seem to have developed a knee niggle, so not starting the year too well!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

To get motivated and cycle all year round, not just summer, got some nice cycles in just before christmas, but festivities and a week in Lanzarote have gotten in the way since.

If I am to be setting a goal publicly, then I hope for 3,000 KM.

Lose a stone at least

bring averages back to where they were about 18 months ago, before broken foot.

GET A NEW BIKE ON THE BTW SCHEME (Plus sell the two I already have)

I think that covers it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

1. Continue to cycle 8000+ per annum
    2. 1 audax ride per season. Managed 4 last year.
    3. Easter Fleche. Always wanted to but still a virgin. Have a team & raring to go.
    4. Get out more with my club.
    5. Get out on bike more with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Cycle 12000km
    Bring ftp up 5%
    Manage to survive in A1 races (and hopefully score some points)
    Ride Ras (long shot, would need to find a team!)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Bambaata wrote: »
    Cycle 12000km
    Bring ftp up 5%
    Manage to survive in A1 races (and hopefully score some points)
    Ride Ras (long shot, would need to find a team!)

Is it going ahead as a UCI 2.2 this year? Don't think they can find a sponsor. Lot of talk of it going to a 5 day amateur race.

Goals for me:
    Get down to 66kg without losing power
    Get to A1
    Race a few CAT 2 races over in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Orwell randonee
    Mick Byrne 200
    Reservoir Dog
    Slieve Bloom extreme
    Evil
    Improve my 16k TT
    More club league races
    7000km
    Lose 5kg
    FTP up by 30w

If I get 5/10 I'll be pleased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

7000+ kms (up from 6k last year)
    Mallorca 312
    Get down to 80kgs
    Kilkenny/Leinster Loop/SKT sportives
    Club sportives
    500k+ distance spin over 2 days in June

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

First intention to get my back sorted, I'm just about to go in to a physio session.
    Secondly I've set a target of 6k km which I fell short of by a measly 92km last year due to back problem in December.
    Lastly, Hopefully stay fit and healthy :)

Update: given the go ahead to try a spin on Sunday.... fingers crossed 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Stay healthy, crash-free
    Get in proper training
    Win M40 All Irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Sit in a follow car for 70+ hours and shout at NamelessPhil to go faster. Eat a lot of Haribo.

I'll probably do some cycling as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Match or exceed last years distance.
    An Audax, have a few in mind.
    Dublin to Cork
    Win the boards hill climb challenge!*

I'd settle for top 15 (of 16)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

6000km Distance Target. (Only managed 4200 of last years target of 5000, I blame getting married :) )

Have signed up for a few Sportives
    SRAC
    Tour De Connemara
    Ring of Clare
    Wicklow100
    Ring of Kerry(when it opens)
    And will prob do a few local ones also.

Hope to take part in Club Racing this year. Will do the TTs at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

14,000k by 31:12:18
    Finish the etape before the broom wagon
    Buy a new bike!
    Learn how to do a Track stand
    Win a race, any race!
    Don’t crash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Mile Failte 1200
    SR series
    RRTY
    Mallorca 312

and I'd like to take another crack at Le1000 DuSud, which I DNF in 2017 due to lack of preparation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's no Celtic Knot for me to withdraw from this year. Could have had a hattrick of withdrawals.

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    and I'd like to take another crack at Le1000 DuSud, which I DNF in 2017 due to lack of preparation.

Nice airport best option?

Lack or preparation; fitness or logistics?

Advertisement