Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

mIRC and ICQ... them's were the days. :rolleyes:

I hate reddit and the layout of it and all the stupid jokes there that are ridiculous, but for some reason a lot of knowledgeable people seem to post there. I've been dragged into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

"How can I get the space bar and the b key to work properly"??

spell check fixes itvpeefectly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Been said a number of times but it’s the overzealous moderation which borders on censorship at times. People will lose interest eventually after their threads are continuously locked for saying something even the slightest bit not PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

looksee wrote: »
    It was always the way, in any organisation, the biggest group of complainers, of people who criticised everything 'the committee' did, who carped and gossiped and did their best to break things up, were the people who never made any actual contribution to the organisation. Kinda sad really. Yes, the committee might get it wrong sometimes, might be a bit over authoritative at times, could not suit everyone all the time, but they were the ones who were actually putting in the time, discussing the options, trying to make the organisation the best it could be. While the 'experts' propped up the bar and whinged, then went home till next time.

While you may be right about some of the "complainers" as you call them you are ignoring the fact that a significant minority have contributed to this site in no small manner. This complete and utter small mindedness and disregard for the community that has permeated the thinking of the current moderators, the admins and the management of this site actually betrays the work that those who contributed before them put in and in a lot of cases has dismantled what they put in place.

Now no one is saying they are against progress or modernisation but shutting down the communities ability to provide open feedback is absolutely wrong and goes against the site I was a member of from inception and that I contributed to moderating and category moderating for over ten years!

gandalf wrote: »
    While you may be right about some of the "complainers" as you call them you are ignoring the fact that a significant minority have contributed to this site in no small manner. This complete and utter small mindedness and disregard for the community that has permeated the thinking of the current moderators, the admins and the management of this site actually betrays the work that those who contributed before them put in and in a lot of cases has dismantled what they put in place.

Now no one is saying they are against progress or modernisation but shutting down the communities ability to provide open feedback is absolutely wrong and goes against the site I was a member of from inception and that I contributed to moderating and category moderating for over ten years!
    the site moved on the people who owned itvmade a few quid and the people that worked away for years for nothing more than a thankyou; well theybgotvtheir thankyou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

YouTube comments are where’s it’s at these days. No mods

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I do apologise on the committee remark....Red it wrong =)

But I don't see why peoples opioion should be disregarded on basis of post count??.....like seriously...how lacking in substance is your point that you have to go look at someone's account and use the amount of posts they have as a means to dismiss them

Literally definition of playing the man not the ball/attack post not poster etc

Well ya see for me when it comes to discussing how the site works that comes from the regular members. Someone coming in with the billy big balls speeches of committees etc is one of... ah you know what I'm on about!

I don't ever look through post counts unless playing Werewolf btw, do not see the point at all in that side of things. :P Tigger there's another Werewolf mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

ROAAAR wrote: »

+1 youbtube comments are indicitative of what you get with no moderation

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Tiggerish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Vronsky wrote: »
    It's not really fair to blame moderation for the fall away on number of users since other lightly moderated Irish forums have suffered falls in users. That said boards hasn't done itself any favours and one can look to a number of decisions/issues that probably wouldn't have prevented the decline but have certainly considerably hastened it:

*The hack of 2010
    *Request for access for soccer/politics cafe. This has effectively killed politics cafe.
    *The disaster with the poker forum.
    *Changes to feedback forum alienated a lot of long time users
    *The site redesign - the site is unusable outside of Ireland.
    * The redesign of the site categories, which added clicks and complexity to getting where you wanted to be.
    *More screen space given over to ads.

On a more wider scale, the now thirty something's that grew up with boards have now grown up, married with families and do not have time to arse about posting anymore. Boards format is is too restrictive and moderation too heavy vs the likes of Twitter and Reddit, which has kept younger users away.

I can echo the sentiment with having a post written and then not bothering to post it because often it's not worth it.

What happened with the poker forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tigger wrote: »
    +1 youbtube comments are indicitative of what you get with no moderation

Horrendous then.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

the site moved on the people who owned itvmade a few quid and the people that worked away for years for nothing more than a thankyou; well theybgotvtheir thankyou

Is your space-bar on the blink!

She is just a poster here, offering an opinion. I could say lumping every "mod" in together is everything that's wrong with certain peoples criticism of the site. I have no interaction with mods on this forum any more than you do, and I'm pretty sure looksee doesn't either.

Mods sticking up for other mods :pac::pac:

Horrendous then.

well yeah
    i mean i read the comments on a few little youbtube posters inenjoy butvthe general stuff is acually hell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

well yeah
    i mean i read the comments on a few little youbtube posters inenjoy butvthe general stuff is acually hell

It isn't nice reading what a few female gamers I follow have to put up with on their channels.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Is your space-bar on the blink!

no its fine thanks
    point is that people like you slaved away for years for the site but there was never more on offer than a thankyou
    we used to joke that the mods would get a share if the site was moneytise but it never hppened

It isn't nice reading what a few female gamers I follow have to put up with on their channels.

i can imagine
    its why moderation is important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

looksee wrote: »
    The really funny thing is that the small cabaal of people - the clique of complainers - who keep going on over and over about the sins and shortcomings of the site, for some reason stick around!

There is a whole internet out there, surely they could head off and start a site that works the way they want it to? This site was started by a few interested people so many years ago (in internet terms) with no funds, no organisation, just themselves. If they could do it surely those dissatisfied with this site could do the same? You will know what pitfalls to avoid, what the people want, it should be a doddle.

It was always the way, in any organisation, the biggest group of complainers, of people who criticised everything 'the committee' did, who carped and gossiped and did their best to break things up, were the people who never made any actual contribution to the organisation. Kinda sad really. Yes, the committee might get it wrong sometimes, might be a bit over authoritative at times, could not suit everyone all the time, but they were the ones who were actually putting in the time, discussing the options, trying to make the organisation the best it could be. While the 'experts' propped up the bar and whinged, then went home till next time.
    It's ok getting things wrong, but what is not forgivable is recognising and acting on mistakes once they become obvious.

Two examples - the new "touch" site. Totally unusable and foisted on overseas posters. When I've been away for any length of time I've rarely posted because it's so difficult, so yeah - I stopped posting

Example two: Politics Cafe. This was a lively forum and I used to frequently contribute to it. Rules changed and you had to ask for permission to post. Now forgive me, but I'm not asking anyone on the internet for permission to post so I don't post there. I'm not alone in thinking this either - so it's gone from a busy forum to a zombie one overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Aidric wrote: »
    Very erudite for a new joiner with 5 posts.

Just because somebody a new account and they are saying something negative doesn't mean they are a new user or a bad poster. How many accounts did posters like dudess? (Think that's right anyway) run through back in the day

• Advertisement

Just because somebody a new account and they are saying something negative doesn't mean they are a new user or a bad poster. How many accounts did posters like dudess? (Think that's right anyway) run through back in the day

5?

Not sure of the background to this post but I will say that certain fora have been notorious for being cliquish. If Boards is attempting to break that up, then that is a positive. In the Politics forum, for instance, by having partisan moderating - i.e. deeply anti-republican & leftwing/pro-Fine Gael & rightwing - from all (OK, a token leftwing republican was appointed a mod about two years ago, but didn't last) the mods what seems to be permanent damage to its ability to attract people with opposing views has happened. It's a mere echo chamber now - or at least was the last time I looked a few years ago. The History forum is not much better. I don't expect any improvement in moderating as the only solace the mods get is the power buzz. Fair enough, let them at it but with that quid pro quo the environment in such fora is very toxic so loads of people stay away.

In all seriousness I do understand why Boards.ie has to shut down conversation sometimes to cover their own backs and make sure they don't get sued for something posted on here or something. Reddit is a much bigger site with a much bigger backing financially but the shutting down of conversation does hurt the site sometimes.

Boards is great for some things that Reddit isn't as good for, for example the Waterford City forum is great for local news, MMA forum on here is a great little community (MMA community on reddit is way to big). I hope the site does get a new generation of users and keeps going because Boards.ie is a great resource for Irish people imo. Does the UK have a similar site?

Boards has been great to me over the years, the community has,helped me gain information about colleges, jobs, schools, parenting, travelling and much more. The community is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Find myself posting less and less, hard to say exactly why its the repetitiveness of a lot of it, someone post something about welfare que outrage vitriol and astounding nastiness and if said article on welfare is about a woman its added vulgar nastiness. Thant's just one example.

Be interesting to see a bit of research on how often the same topics come up on boards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Vronsky wrote: »
    It's not really fair to blame moderation for the fall away on number of users since other lightly moderated Irish forums have suffered falls in users. That said boards hasn't done itself any favours and one can look to a number of decisions/issues that probably wouldn't have prevented the decline but have certainly considerably hastened it:

*The hack of 2010
    *Request for access for soccer/politics cafe. This has effectively killed politics cafe.
    *The disaster with the poker forum.
    *Changes to feedback forum alienated a lot of long time users
    *The site redesign - the site is unusable outside of Ireland.
    * The redesign of the site categories, which added clicks and complexity to getting where you wanted to be.
    *More screen space given over to ads.

On a more wider scale, the now thirty something's that grew up with boards have now grown up, married with families and do not have time to arse about posting anymore. Boards format is is too restrictive and moderation too heavy vs the likes of Twitter and Reddit, which has kept younger users away.

I can echo the sentiment with having a post written and then not bothering to post it because often it's not worth it.

1. What has a hack of nearly 8 years ago got to do with Boards now?
    2. Soccer is perfect the way it is. They opened it up for the last Euros and it became an unintelligible mess of idiots drooling about random stuff. It's bad enough with the Utd/Liverpool sh1te already... and you want it opened to the masses? Politics café... meh. Dunno much about it but it seems so many bots re: parties are being set up to soapbox and stifle proper debate so...
    3. No idea what you're on about re: poker.
    4. Feedback is a genuine gripe. BUT. If I recall a mass of moaners continued to b1tch and whine about the same issues... Over. And Over. And Over again. Fighting with mods and admins. Calling anyone who didn't agree with their idea of a utopia wrong and shouting them down. Any normal feedback thread was derailed by said group. You want my personal opinion? I would have sitebanned the lot of the whingers and the place would have been fine.
    5 and 6. You do know we have a 'My Forums' link right? Follow the forum, go to top right hand corner... one click involved. Site redesign I do agree with tbf....responsive site is a quivering pile of sh1te.
    7. Ads are everywhere, not exclusive to Boards. Every second post on Facebook and Twitter is some business selling their wares. Not an issue for me cos it's done everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The least they could do is sort out the bloody search function
    Ok that was less than 60 seconds to ban a re-reg.

Impressive, but we're waiting on a functional search function for how long now?

Prioritise a bit lads.

I find the search function very easy to use, thorough and useful and I’m no techy. What’s people’s issue with it?

The odd time it stops working. Is that what people are referring to? Yeah, that’s annoying but when it works, which is 99% of the time, it’s good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ROAAAR wrote: »

Well there is in so far as the owner of the channel can pick and choose what they want posted.

I've one particular clip up which is generating a lot of discussion, as soon as it gets trolled or someone advocates domestic violence their comments and deleted and the user blocked from my channel.

Not sure of the background to this post but I will say that certain fora have been notorious for being cliquish. If Boards is attempting to break that up, then that is a positive. In the Politics forum, for instance, by having partisan moderating - i.e. deeply anti-republican & leftwing/pro-Fine Gael & rightwing - from all (OK, a token leftwing republican was appointed a mod about two years ago, but didn't last) the mods what seems to be permanent damage to its ability to attract people with opposing views has happened. It's a mere echo chamber now - or at least was the last time I looked a few years ago. The History forum is not much better. I don't expect any improvement in moderating as the only solace the mods get is the power buzz. Fair enough, let them at it but with that quid pro quo the environment in such fora is very toxic so loads of people stay away.

I asked this before and didn't get an answer. Where is cliquish on boards? I haven't come across it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I find the search function very easy to use and thorough and I’m no techy. What’s people’s issue with it?

It is singularly the worse search engine of any forum I use.

In fact if I want to search for something on boards.ie I use google, I just couldn't be arsed trying to search boards.ie anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Problem is in my mind: the vast majority of the forums are echo chambers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement