Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussions, what does it mean for Aviation in Ireland

Options
  • 27-12-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

With Brexit, and CTA due to continue, there is a very strong argument for all CTA and the few domestics to go from a dedicated terminal for passenger separation as they won't be Schengen or even EU flights thence, and I can't see us joining Schengen AND keeping the CTA. With swapping and changing this could likely be the 300 gates if the right infra is put in place, this would require EI, FR and the others to separate domestic/CTA arrivals and departures into separate terminals. I can see some sort of Global Entry system being needed otherwise in both directions if we don't segregate.

Massive whinging from the ops/scheduling departments but it could be done and passengers will be smart enough to figure out what belt to get their bags from and be picked up from - BA managed it for many years from T1 and T4 for example, and many big US airports still to this day have domestic and international.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    With Brexit, and CTA due to continue, there is a very strong argument for all CTA and the few domestics to go from a dedicated terminal for passenger separation as they won't be Schengen or even EU flights thence, and I can't see us joining Schengen AND keeping the CTA. With swapping and changing this could likely be the 300 gates if the right infra is put in place, this would require EI, FR and the others to separate domestic/CTA arrivals and departures into separate terminals. I can see some sort of Global Entry system being needed otherwise in both directions if we don't segregate.

Massive whinging from the ops/scheduling departments but it could be done and passengers will be smart enough to figure out what belt to get their bags from and be picked up from - BA managed it for many years from T1 and T4 for example, and many big US airports still to this day have domestic and international.

Would expect the UK to remain in EU lines at airports....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I would not be so sure about UK continuing to use EU queues (so far these have been limited to EU/EEA and not even extended to countries in final accession negotiations). There have been some signs Brits may even have to apply for the future Schengen electronic travel authorisation.

You would not need a separate terminal for CTA passengers, just a segregated arrivals channel (could be built above the existing one or using buses). No special facilities are needed for departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

embraer170 wrote: »
    I would not be so sure about UK continuing to use EU queues (so far these have been limited to EU/EEA and not even extended to countries in final accession negotiations). There have been some signs Brits may even have to apply for the future Schengen electronic travel authorisation.

You would not need a separate terminal for CTA passengers, just a segregated arrivals channel (could be built above the existing one or using buses). No special facilities are needed for departures.

on the departures side, it will depend what the arrangements are post Brexit because - enterIng departures at dublin essentially would represent enterIng the UK post Brexit (on the basis that a passenger could have two boarding cards and travel to the UK where they shouldn’t for whatever reason). Don’t underestimate what might be needed.

Also on arrivals, our laws are different to the Uk’s, certain passengers on CTA arrivals must present to immigration for permission to enter the State; those requirements would have to be provided for properly. The “UK model” applies in their airports because of their laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

2016 passenger volume to and from Uk was just under 10m; Pier 3 couldn’t handle that volume plus Pier 3 is a contact Pier with bridges so FR wouldn’t use it plus the other carriers (in Pier 3 now) would have to be rehomed.

I take the point re numbers, you'd nearly need to include the 200 gates as well and some bussing - but thats done for the Stobarts in any event.

As for airbridges, FR will use them if they have to - they do it at lots of airports like Madrid etc and I am well used in any event to walk-ins from a 300 arrival and that horribly long walk to T2.

As for rehoming, yes, of course, but there will be space given the free-up - but yes, up heaval.

In regard to your point above ref laws, I can see our laws being matched up to the UKs as otherwise the CTA won't work in a post-Brexit world. Otherwise it'll be mandatory registration and Global Entry like our US Preclearance at both ends - you can see the Home Office getting set up for it.

Lastly, the point above ref segregation of departing travellers is exactly what I meant - you have to keep the cohorts separate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Blut2

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Would expect the UK to remain in EU lines at airports....

Probably not:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/blue-british-passports-could-mean-travel-delays-extra-paperwork
    One senior official said that “depending on how negotiations go on all free movement issues after Brexit” there was a significant risk that British passport holders would lose the right to use a fast-track citizens lane when travelling on the continent and may also be obliged to use a new visa waiver scheme.

The EU travel information and authorisation system (Etias) is modeled on the US Esta scheme and could require British travellers to Europe to register in advance and make a small administrative payment.

Although a chance remains for Britain to retain fast-track privileges if there is further shift in the prime minister’s red lines on immigration, British experts said this looked unlikely. “At the moment, it looks absolutely certain that we won’t be able to go through the European citizens lane because the legal code in the Schengen borders code says it is only for citizens or people with free movement rights,” said Steve Peers, a professor of law at Essex University.

If Brexit remains hard(ish) and this happens the CTA is unlikely to survive, I'd wager. We'll probably be looking at Ireland in Schengen in the medium-term hopefully.

• Advertisement

The UK has said a two year transition where they follow all rules from 2019, after 2021 currently they stop Freedom of Movement,all the EU citizens bar the Irish have to register, and leave the Single Market . I cannot see that compatible with Schengen BUT I cannot see us getting a special Paddy-lane in arrivals in the rest of the EU for "In-the-EU-but-not-in-Schengen-but-not-we're-not-the-UK-either-but-we-have-a-CTA" and I'm saying we'll have to have something here and it looks like Schengen but Schengen and CTA are utterly incompatible :)

The CTA will survive BTW if I had to put one marker down on all of this, it would be that.

The UK has said a two year transition where they follow all rules from 2019, after 2021 currently they stop Freedom of Movement,all the EU citizens bar the Irish have to register, and leave the Single Market . I cannot see that compatible with Schengen BUT I cannot see us getting a special Paddy-lane in arrivals in the rest of the EU for "In-the-EU-but-not-in-Schengen-but-not-we're-not-the-UK-either-but-we-have-a-CTA" and I'm saying we'll have to have something here and it looks like Schengen but Schengen and CTA are utterly incompatible :)

The CTA will survive BTW if I had to put one marker down on all of this, it would be that.

CTA will survive and I would almost put money on UK/Irish arrivals been treated almost the exact same today as in 2021 when they leave fully. UK travelers will probally just end up filling out some extra paperwork when making a booking with airlines or just register on a specific database.

Worst case Irish will have to do the same as UK but anything is better than schengen but we won't be separated. Schengen is the second biggest failure by the EU.
    Blut2 wrote: »
    Probably not:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/blue-british-passports-could-mean-travel-delays-extra-paperwork

If Brexit remains hard(ish) and this happens the CTA is unlikely to survive, I'd wager. We'll probably be looking at Ireland in Schengen in the medium-term hopefully.

Article is more less a load of rubbish. BTW both UK and EU have made big concessions already this will be another.

UK travelers will probally just end up filling out some extra paperwork when making a booking with airlines or just register on a specific database.
    i have a feeling it will be more, you are seeing one country - the UK forcing all EU27 (minus Ireland probably) onto a deliberate registration database for residents, can't see how it will happen without some changes.

Would the airport really have to change for post Brexit flights if everyone (technically) is checked when entering Ireland unless they checked everyone before the flight?

Entering from where ? from UK - we do not know as the shape of post-Brexit landscape is not clear but IMHO CTA will remain . Entering from EU unless we change our status ( as may be forced on us post-Brexit to harmonize with whatever POS gets landed on the UK , as a quid pro quo for CTA ) then nothing will change

I do think though that the UK will not find this one easy as they are will want to restrict FOM and since this is one of the 4 freedoms they will get hammered for it.

However back on topic there is a non-trivial possibility of infra being needed in DUB to make CTA segregation a reality in a post-Brexit world .

If they took the whole 100 gates as a CTA terminal would that cover it - is there numbers of pax per 100/200/300/400 gates ? That plus bussing of Stobarts and maybe a couple of gates segregated off in the original 200s ( the really really old part of Dub ) would cover it off

( yes of course massive ops/scheduling headache but if law demands it , it will happen )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Blut2

Article is more less a load of rubbish. BTW both UK and EU have made big concessions already this will be another.

As convincing and fact based the counter-argument of "Thats a load of rubbish" is, given the above is a major international newspaper quoting senior EU officials saying the opposite I'd give it some weight. Hopefully DUB is preparing for the contingency. Worst case scenario major infrastructure changes are going to be required in only 15 months time.

T1 as a Schengen terminal, T2 as non-Schengen would be about the only thing I could think of off hand that would work.

• Advertisement

Schengen is the second biggest failure by the EU.

Others would argue it's one of the biggest successes.

If you read the messages coming out of the Brussels, I would not put any money the UK passengers being allowed to use EU/EEA queues. It goes both ways since I am also not sure the Brits want to continue sharing their queues with all EU passengers.

I am also not sure the Brits want to continue sharing their queues with all EU passengers.
    I agree the Home Office have already said Mandatory registration and they will want to police at point of entry if I was them.

moloner4 wrote: »
    Living on the continent for a while you will understand how Schengen travel area is one of the greatest things about the EU. Favourite part for about when connecting through Schengen or landing is no checks (or crossing a couple of land borders without checks is great!)

Back to CTA, in Dublin Airport T2 I remember connecting passengers into Ireland/UK have their passports/visas checked and others flight outside Ireland/UK don't get checked. While T1 everyone gets checked.

Would the airport really have to change for post Brexit flights if everyone (technically) is checked when entering Ireland unless they checked everyone before the flight?

You will never convince me its the best. I can see some positives however it's been a disaster and it's been exposed as such over the last 3 years and many member states refusing to back EU Commission rules and return to full schengen as the emergency period under law has expired.

The fact the UK are not part of it makes the whole leaving the EU much easier because checks are already in place as is most of the infrastructure.
    If you read the messages coming out of the Brussels, I would not put any money the UK passengers being allowed to use EU/EEA queues. It goes both ways since I am also not sure the Brits want to continue sharing their queues with all EU passengers.

Never mind the hot air from Brussels. Arriving in the UK will likely be CTA UK nationals outside CTA, EU, Non EU. A simple dividing of current EU space. Airports around Europe couldn't cope with a major change from the current rules and you will see the EU as one become a lot more fractured over the next phase. Irish and UK arrivals are bundled together at most airports and I can't see it changing. You may just see passport lines divided up slightly.

You will never convince me its the best. I can see some positives however it's been a disaster and it's been exposed as such over the last 3 years and many member states refusing to back EU Commission rules and return to full schengen as the emergency period under law has expired.

In practical terms, 95% of emergency Schengen controls have been removed. Quite a few states maintain the right to emergency controls (until mid-2018) but only maintain it at a very limited number of crossing points.
    Airports around Europe couldn't cope with a major change from the current rules and you will see the EU as one become a lot more fractured over the next phase. Irish and UK arrivals are bundled together at most airports and I can't see it changing.

Flights from Ireland and the UK will no doubt continue to both be non-Schengen arrivals. What is going to change is that the Irish will queue at EU designated counters (as today) and Brits will queue at non-EU designated counters. No infrastructure changes required at all.

I cannot see EU passengers sharing immigration queues with UK nationals at British airports. The opposite is also true.

In practical terms, 95% of emergency Schengen controls have been removed. Quite a few states maintain the right to emergency controls (until mid-2018) but only maintain it at a very limited number of crossing points.

Flights from Ireland and the UK will no doubt continue to both be non-Schengen arrivals. What is going to change is that the Irish will queue at EU designated counters (as today) and Brits will queue at non-EU designated counters. No infrastructure changes required at all.

I cannot see EU passengers sharing immigration queues with UK nationals at British airports. The opposite is also true.

Come back in 2018 and it won't be lifted either.

As for what lines they use, your totally right in the UK (more domestic politics than anything) but wouldn't rule it out in Europe. Everything is on the table to be traded. It makes little difference anyway, most will notice little difference.

As for what happens in Dublin, given the high volume of UK traffic in both terminals they will likely have EU, Non-EU and separate UK channel with one or two boots in each terminal to keep people moving or just move more staff to Non EU. No need for the segregation talk on the last page. Removing approx 35-40% of current EU passengers to separate UK or Non EU won't be a major issue.

The volume of UK travellers doesn't matter in this context

I think you are underestimating the problems the other EU27 will kick up, reciprocity will be the order of the day and I can't see the CTA surviving and our own arrangements remaining with the rest of the EU as-is without some sort of segregation measures in the airports.

If the UK creates a UK Nationals queue only you can be sure the other EU27 will do the same ( fly into Malaga on a morning flight and you will find out why this is a horrible idea )

( for an example of past problems De Gaulle vetoed UK joining the EEC way back when )

The volume of UK travellers doesn't matter in this context

I think you are underestimating the problems the other EU27 will kick up, reciprocity will be the order of the day and I can't see the CTA surviving and our own arrangements remaining with the rest of the EU as-is without some sort of segregation measures in the airports.

If the UK creates a UK Nationals queue only you can be sure the other EU27 will do the same ( fly into Malaga on a morning flight and you will find out why this is a horrible idea )

( for an example of past problems De Gaulle vetoed UK joining the EEC way back when )

CTA will survive because it's already protected and Irish Goverment won't allow it fail. They will treat it like the Irish border. The EU 27 will do what is best for them not tit for tat.

CTA will survive because it's already protected and Irish Goverment won't allow it fail. They will treat it like the Irish border. The EU 27 will do what is best for them not tit for tat.

I agree with you reference CTA survival, perhaps not in its current form though ( i.e. some legislation may be needed once we see the post-Brexit shape of things which should be decided in the next 6 months )

The EU27 will exact some toll - there has to be and they have said as much - you cannot have the same level of access as before. Anyway going slightly OT here it seems Dub has no plans to segregate except a few words of warning from The Veteran - that said that, is the side it from which it will come from though.

I'd say its worth making the contingency plans though for the infrastructure as it would have a massive feed-through to ops and schedules as well

Come back in 2018 and it won't be lifted either.

And in practical terms, the majority are already lifted. Taking France: although the country maintains the right to full controls at all crossing points, there are practically no controls at their land borders with Spain, Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg (but maintains limited checks with Italy, together with checks on most air passengers).
    As for what lines they use, your totally right in the UK (more domestic politics than anything) but wouldn't rule it out in Europe.

If EU passengers arriving in the UK end up using different queues to British nationals, you can be sure that UK nationals arriving into Schengen will not be using EU citizen queues. I would also almost 100% rule our a 3 tier approach (EU/EEA, UK, everyone else).

Also on arrivals, our laws are different to the Uk’s, certain passengers on CTA arrivals must present to immigration for permission to enter the State; those requirements would have to be provided for properly. The “UK model” applies in their airports because of their laws.

Thanks. Could you give some background to why Ireland continues to treat air arrivals so differently to land crossings and ferry passengers? What is the Immigration Act that regulates this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Thanks. Could you give some background to why Ireland continues to treat air arrivals so differently to land crossings and ferry passengers? What is the Immigration Act that regulates this?

Sea arrivals are supposed to be checked, if they're not then that is an issue with the Gardaí.

Section 4(2) of the Immigration Act 2004

A non-national coming by air or sea from a place outside the State shall, on arrival in the State, present himself or herself to an immigration officer and apply for a permission

This going to sound strange to regulars on here but I’m agreeing with a lot of what Trellheim is saying of where they are coming from. I’ll come back to this in a minute.

I don’t think a spur from the northern line makes sense as it will cost a bunch of money and will only add to congestion on the northern line and i the central loop between Connolly and Pearse stations. To make it worthwhile, DART would have to be extended to Swords (essentially splitting northern DART services to Howth, Malahide and Swords) AND the tracks increased from 2 to 4 from at least Clongriffin to allow northern Commuter and Enterprise services to function.

The rail service would be servicing the city not the northern towns and cities as there are already hourly services serving Drogheda and Dundalk; as well as three services (BE\Translink, Aircoach and Dublin coach) serving Belfast.

Fully agree that whilst daa boasts that it hosts the busiest coach\bus depot in the country, it sadly lacks facilities (toilets, information, seating, shop, etc). For me, the bus station should be where T2 Surface parking is now with Aircoach and Airlink cleared from the T1 Arrivals Road.

Slightly off topic but pre-booked taxi (incl Hailo, Uber, etc) pick-ups are inefficient in dublin; there should be an area where pre-booked taxis etc could pull in to collect their fares but only when the passenger is there.

On the subject of a dedicated CTA area, Pier 1 (the 100 Gates) is probably the only area that could handle it but the issue of segregating out certain passengers would remain. There could be a way around it involving the pre-registration of passengers who would enroll their biometrics and who could then use dedicated eGates working off biometrics rather than documents.

To address Embraer’s question, section 4 of the Immigration Act 2004 requires all non-nationals arriving by air and sea to present to an Immigration Officer to seek permission to enter. Thus, not everyone on board an arrival from elsewhere in the CTA (in reality we mean the UK and Crown Dependencies) enjoys the passport free travel which section 11 of the 2004 Act, as amended, confers on certain people. To further understand the difference between the air\sea border on the one hand versus the land border, section 4 sets out separate rules. (A personal opinion) but the sea border is not policed half enough and is a major Achilles heel. It might interest some to know that the UK routinely runs immigration controls at Belfast Docks on arriving and departing passengers using Immigration Enforcement officers (not Border Force) and Police Scotland likewise on the Scottish end.

More generally I don’t see how the CTA will survive in its current form (whatever that is). The UK swill only maintain its current operation if it has confidence in the irish controls for entry to Ireland from everywhere except the CTA!!! The UK already collects API on infra-CTA traffic (there is an Irish Statutory Instrument from 2015 requiring Irish carriers onCTA routes to provide the API to the UK where they collect it as per of their business rules.). I could see the UK changing their rules so that API and PNR is compulsory - that would then allow them to operate “spot checks” which is what they do today “officially”.

On the whole subject of the Schengen being operated at Dublin - don’t underestimate what that would involve. It would require a complete segregation within the Terminal and would require the full application of the Schengen Border Code which itself would be a major undertaking. It would, for example, require the alignment of our visa regimes and the operation of exit controls (physical ones) at DUB.

As for the suggestions that adding UK citizens to the non EU queue wouldn’t be significant - it would be massive!! I don’t see it happening in the medium term.

I don’t see us joining Schengen as it would require a hard border on the land frontier and massive infrastructural investment at all our Ports and elsewhere.

I don’t see the CTA “in its current form” surviving. Given how our airports operate presently, that won’t matter too much at the airports. The changes may appear subtle (like document enrollment in advance of travel and the submission of API\PNR) but no less real. Remember the British have said the recent “agreement” in the Brexit negotiations were not legally binding and our Taoiseach described it as “politically bullet proof” - his did not say legally enforceable or bullet proof.

So in terms of infrastructure...

- Metro North and a proper bus\coach product;
    - separate out domestic arrivals; and,
    - increase the immigration hall size in T1;
    - sort out Pier 3 Immigration area;
    - provide for exit controls;
    - on the security side, move vehicular Access away from the Terminals (ie set down not to be so close and to be uncontrolled)

well thats my world turned upside down :)

well thats my world turned upside down :)

It’s the season of goodwill!

The Veteran

I would expect any Europe wide agreement for UK passengers (and everything else) could well differ to Ireland (in some aspects) particularly as we are outside schengen but more importantly our relationship. In many area's EU won't be able to just apply the same new system to Ireland. Its just impossible and I think the border issue showed both UK and EU have to be flexible and it will continue to most major agreements with air been one of them.

Jamie, for me the “agreement” before Christmas simply allowed the negotiations to proceed, it didn’t resolve anything. As others have said, one of the founding principles or fundamental rights of the EU is that there is Free Movement of people - it is Free Movement as an enabler of economic activity. If the UK wishes to curtail Free Movement as defined by the EU then any movement between the UK and the non-Schengen EU will have to reflect the broader ultimate agreement.

The island of Ireland is an issue and it ultimately may mean that to “maintain the CTA”, we will have to dilute our EU membership. We already have to use facilities in most airports that those travelling within Schengen don’t use; yet we have to recognize EU Identity cards which by the way are the most abused documents we see.

The CTA has survived since 1920 or whatever because we have always moved in tandem with the UK; this is the first time we won’t so it is uncharted water in that sense. But the fundamental freedoms of the EU are incompatible with the UK leaving the Customs Union and restricting Free Movement of people. That tension means the CTA will have to be dealt with in some fashion.

The UK has already asked to move its border to Ireland and was told no but when it comes down to it, the answers will emerge over the next 12-15 months.

The airport has been asking what are the impacts but answers can’t be given; there is no scenario that can’t be addressed but everyone needs clarity from Brussels before the “solution” can be put in place.

Jamie, for me the “agreement” before Christmas simply allowed the negotiations to proceed, it didn’t resolve anything. As others have said, one of the founding principles or fundamental rights of the EU is that there is Free Movement of people - it is Free Movement as an enabler of economic activity. If the UK wishes to curtail Free Movement as defined by the EU then any movement between the UK and the non-Schengen EU will have to reflect the broader ultimate agreement.

The island of Ireland is an issue and it ultimately may mean that to “maintain the CTA”, we will have to dilute our EU membership. We already have to use facilities in most airports that those travelling within Schengen don’t use; yet we have to recognize EU Identity cards which by the way are the most abused documents we see.

The CTA has survived since 1920 or whatever because we have always moved in tandem with the UK; this is the first time we won’t so it is uncharted water in that sense. But the fundamental freedoms of the EU are incompatible with the UK leaving the Customs Union and restricting Free Movement of people. That tension means the CTA will have to be dealt with in some fashion.

The UK has already asked to move its border to Ireland and was told no but when it comes down to it, the answers will emerge over the next 12-15 months.

The airport has been asking what are the impacts but answers can’t be given; there is no scenario that can’t be addressed but everyone needs clarity from Brussels before the “solution” can be put in place.

I agree, the whole thing before Christmas isn't worth the paper its on but both the UK and EU were getting a little desperate and needed to move talks on.

As for moving the border to Ireland, while they have said no, I don't think its the last we will hear about it. It was more political grandstanding rather than considering it in more detail which I think will happen in the next 2 years but probally only some aspects.

All I am saying is there will be a lot of "excludes Ireland" lines written into all agreements with air travel been one.

Jamie, the british can in effect write “excludes Ireland\the Irish” all they want but such clauses will have to sit with an overall EU\UK agreement.

For passage through airports, there are bigger impacts for (Irish) using UK airports than arrivals into our airports.

Since there was no obvious solution in December the talks were allowed to proceed - lets face it someone would have come up with something by now if there was anything there .

The only thing I can see is Dub becoming a hard border for the UK for work purposes but the political optics of that to the old wing of FF might cause ructions - in any event the only possible way that might work is segregation of some kind or another ( I have Basel airport in my head here as a possible example you can exit into Switzerland or Germany take your pick out of the arrivals hall yes its not a good fit but its creative )

The Veteran I am not sure we can dilute our EU membership like that - we'd need a referendum at the very least and the EU26 others would go bananas, Hungary for example would seek an immediate similar given their current situation the 4 freedoms are either in or not and the UK will be held up as an example of why its better to be in the club

• Advertisement

This is an example of what I am talking about - Macron French PM will ask for cash to keep the french side of the Tunnel crossings running as they currently run it on the French side

https://www.rt.com/uk/414432-france-border-calais-brexit/

I think those controls fall under a French-UK bilateral so not part of the talks but its pointing the way - if we end up running UK Border control in Dublin, a similar headline will arise

Advertisement