Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode - Why did they bother?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The first two letters are vital in getting the post to the correct sorting office for onwards delivery, without the routing key the deliveries would get lost in a system that required them.

I know that!

I was just adding a counter argument against the people who claim that the first two letters of the postcode referring to the "local" town somehow helps in remembering it.

Alun wrote: »
    I know that!

I was just adding a counter argument against the people who claim that the first two letters of the postcode referring to the "local" town somehow helps in remembering it.
    In the UK, the first two letters have the name of a town associated to them so are easier to remember in that respect, the eircode has a random prefix that has no relation to the name of the town that has the sorting office, with the exception of Dublin that retained the old postal regional codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Except they're not random, the routing keys seem to be clustered pretty much like telephone area codes.

The only bit that makes absolutely no sense to me is the H-code, which is split.

One half of it is in Galway and the other is way up at Monaghan and Cavan and various F and N codes split the area.

They're still not that challenging to remember though.

The randomness that I'm referring to is the choice of prefix letters, not the area they cover which is obviously the sorting office that covers that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Love Eircode, made life so much easier in the countryside for deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anecdotal but any time I've talked to someone who's struggled to remember their Eircode it's the second half they forget, not the first 3 letters. Doesn't really matter what initials the letters relate to, it's the mental act of partitioning them and knowing they relate to a wider group is what makes them memorable.

I remember back in the day if someone was asking what phone network I was with (for sending free texts) they'd ask "you're 087 aren't you?" instead of asking was I with Vodafone.

In the UK, the first two letters have the name of a town associated to them so are easier to remember in that respect, the eircode has a random prefix that has no relation to the name of the town that has the sorting office, with the exception of Dublin that retained the old postal regional codes.
    But they're not, that's the point! For someone living in the small town I mentioned, Hawes, the letters DL, for Darlington a town 65km away, have as much relevance to them as XZ, or QG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

In the past month, I had to call 3 tradesmen/service people to come to my house to do some jobs.

Each asked for my eircode and arrived hassle free at my doorstep , I live in the country in a house with no number, and was always having to direct people to the house.

Random number/random code , couldn't give a dam what format of it, it appears to be working as intended now.

I now use my eircode on all deliveries/addresses I complete for online purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The randomness that I'm referring to is the choice of prefix letters, not the area they cover which is obviously the sorting office that covers that area.

You don't need to remember them. Just look them up.

Why do people think they know how eircodes work? Only people in the business do, and they use IT solutions.

Alun wrote: »
    But they're not, that's the point! For someone living in the small town I mentioned, Hawes, the letters DL, for Darlington a town 65km away, have as much relevance to them as XZ, or QG.
    Darlington is obviously their "post town", and their post arrives via Darlington, whether they like or not.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    You don't need to remember them. Just look them up.

Why do people think they know how eircodes work? Only people in the business do, and they use IT solutions.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

my postman can't even get the house numbers right, so he has no hope of understanding an eircode!

Well, if his employer gave him an Internet enabled device with GPS (eg a smartphone) he'd be able to look up the Eircode and turn up on your doorstep.

Or better still they load the Eircode database onto a dedicated device, so no Internet connection required.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

:rolleyes:

My point is that the randomness of the prefix, which are not really random, has no impact whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

We hire out equipment up and down the West coast, based in Donegal. The eircode has been a godsend for finding houses in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

No idea if the postman or couriers use the code or just the address on the parcel but I've had two tradespeople just ask for it to find me and I've used it a couple of times to find clients homes in Google maps. Works a treat.

I know mine by heart and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it is a random code, nor that I can't infer what my neighbours one is from my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bacchus wrote: »
    No idea if the postman or couriers use the code or just the address on the parcel but I've had two tradespeople just ask for it to find me and I've used it a couple of times to find clients homes in Google maps. Works a treat.

I know mine by heart and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it is a random code, nor that I can't infer what my neighbours one is from my own.

Same here, just drop it into google drive and bingo!

Darlington is obviously their "post town", and their post arrives via Darlington, whether they like or not.

Look, I know Darlington is their postal town, just as only a few km south of them, Bradford is their postal town, and slightly further to the west, either Lancaster or Preston is their postal town, I get that.

But in the context of making remembering their own post code easier, which is the gist of this particular strand of the thread, it is totally irrelevant, it's just two letters. The town of Darlington probably hardly even enters their consciousness living in the centre of a National Park, so if someone finds themselves wondering what their postcode is they're not suddenly going to think, "Oh yes, we're 65km away from Darlington, a sh!thole that I never go to, my postcode must begin with DL!" are they?

The system was obviously built with rural Ireland in mind and that's not a bad thing. For this reason, I can understand why they went with a random pattern rather then sequential, all it takes is a one-off house to be built in the middle of two existing houses and the sequence is out of whack. It's much handier than giving directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Great system,unfortunately it's the humans that are creating problems with it.I know my code off by heart,and I use it as much as possible particularly for courier services,no more giving directions to my house when the delivery driver rings to let me know he or she is on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No idea why the start of this thread has such negativity towards it. It's dead handy for finding places. Probably will take a while before everone starts using it, but that's to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Random point, whilst on holidays in Portugal I sent a postcard to myself with my name, eircode and country.
    It arrived
    I was impressed
    Bit sad I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

I love it.
    Now I can find anyone's house using my GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yep, I have to say its grown on me, I have used it a few times to tell couriers/delivery men where I'm living out in the sticks and I have no problem remembering it either. Maybe Irish Water charges would have grown on people too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

I use it all the time now to send stuff to my parents. Mothers Name, A88 K8DN, Ireland. Job done. No need to write addresses anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Un1corn wrote: »
    I use it all the time now to send stuff to my parents. Mothers Name, A88 K8DN, Ireland. Job done. No need to write addresses anymore.
    That's not technically true, it's designed to be used in addition to the address. It'll probably get to the local distribution centre ok, but at some stage it'll get flagged and a human is going to have to intervene and write the address on manually for the postman who doesn't use the postcode (officially).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Un1corn wrote: »

You have no comeback if they fail to deliver, as Eircodes are most definitely not designed to replace a postal address for deliveries by An Post. They are actually going above and beyond if they do deliver post addressed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

KellyXX wrote: »
    I love it.
    Now I can find anyone's house using my GPS.

I'm still waiting for TomTom to get it right.

What GPS are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

You have no comeback if they fail to deliver, as Eircodes are most definitely not designed to replace a postal address for deliveries by An Post. They are actually going above and beyond if they do deliver post addressed that way.

On top of that, if you get the eircode wrong or write it badly there is no way to figure out what it should be. And getting an eircode slightly wrong will mean that the address that comes out will be a long long way from what was intended, as this is how it's designed.

A combination of address and eircode is the safest bet.

swampgas wrote: »
    On top of that, if you get the eircode wrong or write it badly there is no way to figure out what it should be. And getting an eircode slightly wrong will mean that the address that comes out will be a long long way from what was intended, as this is how it's designed.

A combination of address and eircode is the safest bet.
    Yes, you should always treat the eircode as a checksum when verifying addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

I'm still waiting for TomTom to get it right.

What GPS are you using?

Anything accept TomTom :)

Google maps or Waze.

Advertisement