Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net Neutrality Repealed in the US

Options
  • 14-12-2017 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

THe FCC in America have repealed Net Neutrality... Here's just a glimpse of what this means for Americans:
    Take Google for example. Now that net neutrality rules have been dismantled, the internet monolith faces the possibility of paying higher fees to access high-speed (meaning, the same speeds they've enjoyed for the past two years) lanes. This is one reason Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter and other major companies have been so loudly, fervently opposed to the destruction of net neutrality: They want to make money, and paying higher fees doesn't compute with this goal. Meanwhile, small ISPs hoping to enter the market would face these same elevated prices for faster connections, potentially stifling innovation at the onset.

ISPs, on the other hand, want the ability to charge these higher fees. Not only does today's FCC's ruling open the path for ISPs to institute multiple internet speed lanes, but it also allows them to engage in previously banned practices like throttling, blocking and paid prioritization. Throttling, for instance, would allow a company like Comcast to slow speeds down on certain apps or sites, thereby nudging people toward alternative services. Comcast is the largest ISP in the US and it happens to own NBCUniversal, which has a controlling stake in Hulu. If Comcast wants to give Hulu an edge over Netflix, it's now free to slow down speeds just for Netflix. Hell, it could even block the service entirely.

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/net-neutrality-what-now/

The definition of net neutrality is: "The principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites.".

Oh dear!! This is a little scary...... Basically, the internet is set to become an absolute sh!t show for the smaller ISP's... All of the conglomerates in bed with the big guys will have quick access granted to their websites. The others will be slow as bejaysis. So if you're on your fave site and it's barely loading, you're eventually going to look elsewhere. And that elsewhere will be what they decide you look at. You won't get that decision anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭doc22

Why should ISP's invest massive sums into infrastructure while allowing other companies profit of there backs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

In the long run it will be beneficial if different private business(big web companies) add their own infrastructure which will secure their autonomy and improve the overall situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

doc22 wrote: »
    Why should ISP's invest massive sums into infrastructure while allowing other companies profit of there backs?

Here here. Now, how do I pay my transport provider their cut of my profits I earn from them taking me to and from the place I make my money.

It's a nonsensical argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You know the various ISP's have been given anywhere between $200billion and $400billion to expand the infrastructure across the US by the Government, right?

No Net Neutrality also means that ISP's can throttle bandwidth to certain websites either because they want you to use their own platform (Netflix for example) or simply because they want you to pay more per month.

Thankfully in the EU we have Net Neutrality, and it's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, potentially daft question coming in here (not as tech savvy as most of you here), but will this effect non-US internet users?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Here here. Now, how do I pay my transport provider their cut of my profits I earn from them taking me to and from the place I make my money.

It's a nonsensical argument.

If you were using say a bus as a mode of transport to deliver products commercially say as a courier and taking up space with parcels would you not be expected to pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So, potentially daft question coming in here (not as tech savvy as most of you here), but will this effect non-US internet users?

It could affect streaming of US premiered shows and torrent sites and the like.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

If you were using say a bus as a mode of transport to deliver products commercially say as a courier and taking up space with parcels would you not be expected to pay more?

Will the bus company charge me more, drive much, much slower, or the long way, if my neighbour pays them more for preferential treatment, making it harder for me to get to work and earn money?

Do you think it's fair that websites like netflix's can choke up infrastructure but pay nothing towards it's up keep?

Do you think it's fair that websites like netflix's can choke up infrastructure but pay nothing towards it's up keep?

Have you read how Netflix manage their data over the internet via their CDNs they pay for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

It also means having to pay for downloading simple things like PDF files.

There's talk of social media becoming a chargeable service like this:

Twitter: $14.99/month
    Snapchat: $9.99/month
    YouTube: $19.99/month
    Netflix: $9.99/per movie
    Google: $1.99/per search

Nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wurly wrote: »
    It also means having to pay for downloading simple things like PDF files.

There's talk of social media becoming a chargeable service like this:

Twitter: $14.99/month
    Snapchat: $9.99/month
    YouTube: $19.99/month
    Netflix: $9.99/per movie
    Google: $1.99/per search

Nuts!

Hopefully this could be the end of facebook and twatter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You know the various ISP's have been given anywhere between $200billion and $400billion to expand the infrastructure across the US by the Government, right?

No Net Neutrality also means that ISP's can throttle bandwidth to certain websites either because they want you to use their own platform (Netflix for example) or simply because they want you to pay more per month.

Good, I was about to ask will it effect the EU - hope above stays true for the foreseeable future anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

It could affect streaming of US premiered shows and torrent sites and the like.

It could, but I suspect people will start to use secure VPNs - ISP can't see the encrypted data.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There's nothing American about neutrality!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You forgot one important detail about that decision from the FCC.

The US House of Congress could make the decision with a simple majority vote calling for this repeal to be reversed. But then if this vote isn't reversed at all; it could be a complete disaster for enabling continuing progression through all areas of the digital economy in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

netflics pays for the infrastructure they use.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I have one question and one question only: Can I still ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Yeah but it’s $9.99 per ejaculation ☹️

Aren't some of our practices here anti-Net Neutrality? You have mobile phone networks offering free access to YouTube, Facebook, etc. Pretty sure that's against what is defined as Net Neutrality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Aren't some of our practices here anti-Net Neutrality? You have mobile phone networks offering free access to YouTube, Facebook, etc. Pretty sure that's against what is defined as Net Neutrality.

In fairness theres a difference between free access and actively throttling competitors. The real problem with the net neutrality repeal is ISPs acting the bollocks and slowing down their competitors. ISPs wont be to quick either on ripping people off because firstly the net neutrality rules came about in the first place because of their messing. The second is that congress may yet block the repeal expecially after the loss of a republican stronghold and rising fury of people at their shenanigans.

We actually don't. It's how a Portugese ISP can do this and Eir/Meteor can give free access to selected social media sites via their "Social Networking Bundle". From https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/
    On the Meteor Simplicity 4G plans you will automatically get unlimited access to Youtube (until 28th Feb 2018), Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, viber and whatsapp without eating into your data allowance.
    netflics pays for the infrastructure they use.
    Indeed. In fact, Eir have a Netflix CDN in-house. Unlike Virgin Media, who were throttling the hell out of it a few years back by misrouting traffic via the US and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Hammer89 wrote: »

Well, Comcast and AT&T may throttle you...

Thin end of the wedge, few will get outraged by getting free additional data. Can later be thrown in the face of objectors when Ireland/EU decide to repeal NN - "truth is we've never had neutrality... and it has been great for consumers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

He couldn't even just do it and not be a complete pryk about it - he's actually rubbing everyone's noses in it.

Also one of the people in the harlem shake part of it is an alt-right loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Karsini wrote: »
    We actually don't. It's how a Portugese ISP can do this and Eir/Meteor can give free access to selected social media sites via their "Social Networking Bundle". From https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

Indeed. In fact, Eir have a Netflix CDN in-house. Unlike Virgin Media, who were throttling the hell out of it a few years back by misrouting traffic via the US and back.

We actually do:

http://berec.europa.eu/eng/netneutrality/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_law#European_Union

Basically all Net Neutrality means is that ISP's can't actively block or throttle your access to certain websites.

Eir, for example, don't block or throttle your access to social media sites, rather they simply don't include the data used when browsing those sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think this is a disaster for the consumer, it now gives ISPs the ability to charge extra for certain things on the internet that were once part of the package the consumer received from an ISP. The greed of corporate companies in America and the support they receive from Senators is just astonishing.

Also, that Ajit Pai guy seems like a prat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That Ajit Pai deserve a box, the smary little bollox!

We actually do:

http://berec.europa.eu/eng/netneutrality/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_law#European_Union

Basically all Net Neutrality means is that ISP's can't actively block or throttle your access to certain websites.

Eir, for example, don't block or throttle your access to social media sites, rather they simply don't include the data used when browsing those sites.
    But if we have Net Neutrality, how are MEO getting away with what they're doing?

Karsini wrote: »

I've had this debate before. It's not really the same. They're additional add on for a mobile phone package. If you don't take them you're not restricted from using them.

If you voluntarily do take them you're not excluded from using any other service, nor is any other service throttled or blocked from being used. Any of the services included in such bundles don't pay to do so in order to throttle rival services.

With the days of all you can eat packages on this side of the world you don't really need such packages and can use your data to do whatever you want.

• Advertisement

But you're still favouring one service over another.

Advertisement