Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

ps3lover wrote: »
    I’m surprised they didn’t remove him after BvS.

WB don't go for the clean swing, prefer the hatchet.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Things are getting hilarious on the box office forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jesus christ the flashes constant one liners made me roll eyes every single time, each time the camera panned to him you knew what was coming it was so annoying for me.
    The cgi on steppenwolf, I assume they ran out of time to properly finish it off as there's no way they can be happy with how he looked it was a joke. Cant say I noticed much of the whole supermans cgi moustache removal fiasco, the way people were going on about it before I thought it was going to be worse.
    As a way to kill 2 hours for a few quid it was a grand popcorn flick I knew exactly what I was going into so expectations were low. The whole dc film franchise seems to be in a heap I wonder what there next venture will be? This flash and cyborg dont seem interesting enough to warrent a solo film, maybe aquaman?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Penn wrote: »
    They certainly took steps to limit him, considering Justice League was supposed to be a Part 1 & 2 and then bringing in the likes of Geoff Johns to help oversee the rest of the DCEU.

What exactly is Johns’ role? Is he supposed to be DC’s Feige?

I have a feeling Bendis is going to end up in that kind of role for DC as they must have offered him more than just comics to get him to jump ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

He is an article about Allen The behind the scenes drama, its long but interesting. WB wanted to fire Snyder after BvS but that might have been too costly due to the fact it was supposed to start shooting a week after BvS opened.
    https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league-zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-wonder-woman/

• Advertisement

ps3lover wrote: »
    He is an article about Allen The behind the scenes drama, its long but interesting. WB wanted to fire Snyder after BvS but that might have been too costly due to the fact it was supposed to start shooting a week after BvS opened.
    https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league-zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-wonder-woman/
    Horrific article that doesn't bring anything new to the table. Other websites have tried this, presenting a summary of what's already known combined with their own speculation supported by "sources".

I admire the complete spoof merchants more on sites such as Reddit than the charlatans who are making money off of such brilliant "exclusives". At least the anonymous spoof merchants can be entertaining with the wild stories they concoct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Watched it last night. Wasn't bad but just felt a bit flat about it. It felt a bit like a movie that 1) was in a mad rush to get from a to b to c to z; and 2) didn't know where it wanted to be tonally. I put the latter down to the mix of Synder and Weadon. Two very opposing styles and they clashed. Levity and humour are great and work well in the MCU but it didn't work here for me. Flash's oddball humour was overused. I really liked how they introduced him having difficulty dealing with people because they're too slow but that seemed to be dropped in favour of one-liner jokes.
    Superman and Cyborg laughing and joking like they're old war buddies after stopping the motherboxes
    was a bit cringe... so too was Wonder Woman's subsequent line worthy of a sitcom... "I work with children".

Where this was best was in the first half whenever Batman and WW were on screen together. I also quite enjoyed
    the fight with Superman though it was over quite quickly
    . The opening scene with
    Batman taking on the Parademon
    was a great opener too. Oh, and the
    attack on the Amazons was a great sequence
    . Beyond that though, some of the early scenes with Flash worked well (loved him zipping around the Batcave... hated the line "It's like a.... Bat. Cave"). Cyborg... meh but lots of potential. Aquaman... meh, not a fan of the Aquabro or the underwater scenes. Steppenwolf... the most generic of generic baddies.
    I also felt that once Superman got his head screwed on, there was no more threat. Superman was practically toying with Steppenwolf and they had to send him off to save civilians for a while to drag out the final battle.
    The prevalent thought going through my mind since watching it is that nothing felt "earned". They jumped straight to their "Avengers" movie and half the League were making their first appearance on screen. It's kinda a telling that the parts I enjoyed the most had featured in BvS (WW, Batman, Amazons, going back to the Kryptonian ship, etc.).

Overall... better than BvS but behind MoS and WW. I liked that the went back to a more straight forward plot/narrative, particularly when they already had a hard time getting all these characters together in a single movie. Had we had standalones for Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman I think this would have helped it shoulder some of the work it had to do in 2 hours. Cyborg in particular given his connection to the boxes. Their power and mystery could have been built up a little bit prior to JL instead of coming across as cardboard cutout macguffins. Also, they had to power Cyborg right up in the space of one movie. Instead we could have gotten early days Cyborg getting to grips with new powers in his own movie. Missed opportunity IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Bacchus wrote: »
    Watched it last night. Wasn't bad but just felt a bit flat about it. It felt a bit like a movie that 1) was in a mad rush to get from a to b to c to z; and 2) didn't know where it wanted to be tonally. I put the latter down to the mix of Synder and Weadon. Two very opposing styles and they clashed. Levity and humour are great and work well in the MCU but it didn't work here for me. Flash's oddball humour was overused. I really liked how they introduced him having difficulty dealing with people because they're too slow but that seemed to be dropped in favour of one-liner jokes.
    Superman and Cyborg laughing and joking like they're old war buddies after stopping the motherboxes
    was a bit cringe... so too was Wonder Woman's subsequent line worthy of a sitcom... "I work with children".

Where this was best was in the first half whenever Batman and WW were on screen together. I also quite enjoyed
    the fight with Superman though it was over quite quickly
    . The opening scene with
    Batman taking on the Parademon
    was a great opener too. Oh, and the
    attack on the Amazons was a great sequence
    . Beyond that though, some of the early scenes with Flash worked well (loved him zipping around the Batcave... hated the line "It's like a.... Bat. Cave"). Cyborg... meh but lots of potential. Aquaman... meh, not a fan of the Aquabro or the underwater scenes. Steppenwolf... the most generic of generic baddies.
    I also felt that once Superman got his head screwed on, there was no more threat. Superman was practically toying with Steppenwolf and they had to send him off to save civilians for a while to drag out the final battle.
    The prevalent thought going through my mind since watching it is that nothing felt "earned". They jumped straight to their "Avengers" movie and half the League were making their first appearance on screen. It's kinda a telling that the parts I enjoyed the most had featured in BvS (WW, Batman, Amazons, going back to the Kryptonian ship, etc.).

Overall... better than BvS but behind MoS and WW. I liked that the went back to a more straight forward plot/narrative, particularly when they already had a hard time getting all these characters together in a single movie. Had we had standalones for Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman I think this would have helped it shoulder some of the work it had to do in 2 hours. Cyborg in particular given his connection to the boxes. Their power and mystery could have been built up a little bit prior to JL instead of coming across as cardboard cutout macguffins. Also, they had to power Cyborg right up in the space of one movie. Instead we could have gotten early days Cyborg getting to grips with new powers in his own movie. Missed opportunity IMO.
    You do know there's a spoiier tag you can use?!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

givyjoe wrote: »
    You do know there's a spoilier tag you can use?!

In the Justice League mega thread, a week after its release? I think at this stage this thread is spoiler free?

Anywho, I agree with most of what Bacchus said, also it felt really weird to me.

-Henry Cavils weird CGI upper lip,
    -Fat Batman
    -Aspergers Flash (I felt guilty for laughing at him)

-Nations morning the death of a man who just two movies ago was involved in a fight that caused the death of 1,000's (if not 100,000's).
    -Bringing this monstrosity of a man back to life, and so easily
    -The main villain who kind of just looked like an old man in a helmet, not at all threatening.
    -
    The end where he got afraid so the para-demon's attacked him :rolleyes:

What worries me is I really want to see a Green Lantern movie, in the same vein as the modern Star Wars movie, a war with the full colour spectrum.
    I think Im just going to get an colour muted Hal Jordon wedged into some other crap movie though...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

oxygen wrote: »
    In the Justice League mega thread, a week after its release? I think at this stage this thread is spoiler free?

Generally not until the film forum mods say so and post a warning in the thread title. It usually only happens with busy threads though.

• Advertisement

Ah, apologies. Yes technically there should be a mod warning. I just figured this had been out 2 weeks already that it was all clear to chat openly.

EDIT: Added appropriate spoiler tags... though the poster complaining should probably edit their post too as they quoted my original post.

Ah, apologies. Yes technically there should be a mod warning. I just figured this had been out 2 weeks already that it was all clear to chat openly.

EDIT: Added appropriate spoiler tags... though the poster complaining should probably edit their post too as they quoted my original post.

Calm yourself. I'm not complaining.

Calm myself?

Calm myself?

Well you seemed to be climbing up the old high horse, so yes.

Well you seemed to be climbing up the old high horse, so yes.

I saw your complaint about not using spoilers. I apologised, added the spoiler tags and left a note that your post still has the original spoilers. I don't see what I've done wrong here or what else I could have done to correct my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

givyjoe wrote:

Poster was just saying he agreed with you, fixed the issue and that you should now edit your post as the spoilers are in the quote.

How you can get offended over that I don't know

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Poster was just saying he agreed with you, fixed the issue and that you should now edit your post as the spoilers are in the quote.

How you can get offended over that I don't know

Christ almighty. I wasn't complaining and I'm not offended. Give over.

I saw your complaint about not using spoilers. I apologised, added the spoiler tags and left a note that your post still has the original spoilers. I don't see what I've done wrong here or what else I could have done to correct my mistake.

My apologies, I glanced at the post (note for me) and obviously picked up the wrong sentiment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spoilers from this post onward. If you haven't seen the film yet and don't want to be spoiled, then stop reading.

We don't really have a policy on this btw. We just add the warnings if/when everyone thinks they are needed based on how much spoiler discussion is taking place while allowing a decent spoiler free period. Just report the thread and let us know if you think the thread needs a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saw it yesterday and thought it was alright. It wasn't great but I think it was good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thought it was pure drivel meself....each of Snyders movies just get worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Anyone see Kevin Smith's podcast on his review of Justice League? I think some interesting points where made about the film by both Kevin and Marc. It's pretty long but I enjoyed it, and I liked what they had to say about it.

The review starts at 11:16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Wailin wrote: »
    Thought it was pure drivel meself....each of Snyders movies just get worse and worse.

i know its awful that it was a family tragedy that drove snyder out but thank **** is all i say the guy is ****ing useless, hopefully he never comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Never been a fan of snyder but from the overview I've gathered of things that he included/filmed that were cut from theatrical release, would have hugely improved the story of the film albeit making it nearly 3hours long.....

things such as, Martha being called to stop revived Superman from killing photographers by using the same technique from the the first superman film, the coversation between Green lantern and Zeus, the fact that Steppenwolf was talking to his mother through the Motherbox to conquer earth before his uncle Darkseid, the piece that showed Barry Allen saving Iris when he pushed through the frame of glass, the heroes landing in the Batcave with Alfred, the real reason Aquaman felt he needed to return to join the team and save the humans, the race to resurrect Superman before Steppenwolf, calling back to the codecs present in his DNA not mentioned since the first film being resolved

Just lots of little things from his previous films which he intended to have resolved were just cut/leftout

youngblood wrote: »
    Never been a fan of snyder but from the overview I've gathered of things that he included/filmed that were cut from theatrical release, would have hugely improved the story of the film albeit making it nearly 3hours long.....

things such as, Martha being called to stop revived Superman from killing photographers by using the same technique from the the first superman film, the coversation between Green lantern and Zeus, the fact that Steppenwolf was talking to his mother through the Motherbox to conquer earth before his uncle Darkseid, the piece that showed Barry Allen saving Iris when he pushed through the frame of glass, the heroes landing in the Batcave with Alfred, the real reason Aquaman felt he needed to return to join the team and save the humans, the race to resurrect Superman before Steppenwolf, calling back to the codecs present in his DNA not mentioned since the first film being resolved

Just lots of little things from his previous films which he intended to have resolved were just cut/leftout

But isn't it better that instead of all that, we got plenty of throwaway lols?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Snyder is an excellent director and most of his films are well crafted, I was a bit surprised when I first heard the hate appearing on the net after BvS but it is what it is, I feel it is just a shame that JL was not a Snyder film and was so much less because of it.

Snyder is an excellent director and most of his films are well crafted, I was a bit surprised when I first heard the hate appearing on the net after BvS but it is what it is, I feel it is just a shame that JL was not a Snyder film and was so much less because of it.

It's hard to know if you're being serious or not. Out of his 15 director credits only 3 are worthwhile; Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, and 300.

Hell, when one of your movies is Sucker Punch, then you're in trouble.

He's very much a director that is the embodiment of style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It's hard to know if you're being serious or not. Out of his 15 director credits only 3 are worthwhile; Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, and 300.

Hell, when one of your movies is Sucker Punch, then you're in trouble.

He's very much a director that is the embodiment of style over substance.

Sucker Punch was his pet project and like a lot of pet projects did not have mass appeal, As I am not counting JL as a Snyder film Sucker Punch would be his only film I did not enjoy, I dont agree with your "style over substance" comment, I hear this a lot in the echo chamber of Snyder when I feel this would be better applied to a lesser director such as Michael Bay, I also find Snyder's films benefit from multiple viewings and they just get better with each watch but I also accept that it is down to personal opinion and some people just dont like him as a film maker.

I dont think he will be directing anything for quite a while since all the WB drama and he still has another six kids to worry about, I hope his next outing as a director will be something Sci-fi based as he would excel in this area IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw this before I went away at the weekend and I have to say I may have laughed more at this than Thor: Ragnorok. Unintentional of course. From the very first shot of Superman on a cell phone with the bad CG covering his tache, making it look like he was wearing a gum shield. Why did they feel the need to put in that awful and unnecessary shot anyway? It adds nothing.

Anyway, off to a bad start and I never felt it improved. It was less messy than BVS which is the best thing I can say about it but that's still not good. The plot was still daft. Three boxes to bring it's holder power.... It's all a bit like a rush job on MCU's infinity stones, except this is all quickly explained and done with in one half arsed movie.

There was one bit where they were battling the flying alien things, (this year's version of Suicide Squad's poo men) and driving up the wall in Batman's crablike crawler, getting inundated with the bad guys on them as they run out of power. The next shot is them standing on top of the tunnel, surveying the scene. A quick explanation of what Cyborg was up to is all you get for finishing that set piece. It's a complete joke.

It's funny that they chose an eastern European type, run down, barely populated location for the final battle as opposed to their major city destruction of the last few movies, without a care for the background death toll. And what was the deal with the early mention of the bad guys being drawn to fear. Nothing mentioned about this until the end when Steppenwolf is defeated. Sure weren't the family it kept showing in that location in fear, and shouldn't they have been attacked, rather than hold them off by blocking the windows with tables.

Its another joke of a film. Warners need to give up on it. It's un-salvageable.

• Advertisement

Sucker Punch was his pet project and like a lot of pet projects did not have mass appeal, As I am not counting JL as a Snyder film Sucker Punch would be his only film I did not enjoy, I dont agree with your "style over substance" comment, I hear this a lot in the echo chamber of Snyder when I feel this would be better applied to a lesser director such as Michael Bay, I also find Snyder's films benefit from multiple viewings and they just get better with each watch but I also accept that it is down to personal opinion and some people just dont like him as a film maker.

I dont think he will be directing anything for quite a while since all the WB drama and he still has another six kids to worry about, I hope his next outing as a director will be something Sci-fi based as he would excel in this area IMO.

Oh he's definitely nowhere near as disgusting as Michael Bay, but Sucker Punch was an absolute mess of a movie. Very flashy, yes, but with a terrible and story you just couldn't engage with at all. I switched it off before the halfway point, because it just wasn't worth it.

Don't get me wrong - I still hold his Dawn of the Dead as one of the best action/horror movies of all time and Watchmen was pretty well done, but 300 was definitely style over substance (the story/acting/everything else was pants, but the fight scenes were visually stunning).

Then we have Man of Steel, which tried to be something more, but ultimately failed and became a cliche in the last half. Same as Dawn of Justice.

He very much is a director that seems to bend easily to studio pressures.

Advertisement