Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coughing Calves

Options
  • 24-11-2017 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I noticed a bunch of my older calves with a bad cough at the outfarm. I presume its some sort of virus as they have been dossed regularly. When the run to meet me they are all out of breath by the time they join me. What would you dose them with in this instance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What have you used to dose them previously and when were they dosed last.
    If they were mine I would use Levacide injection. We find it effective as it kills the lungworms slowly and there is less a chance to trigger pneumonia. The only downside is that it is a high volume injection 1ml to 10kgs bodyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Base price wrote: »
    What have you used to dose them previously and when were they dosed last.
    If they were mine I would use Levacide injection. We find it effective as it kills the lungworms slowly and there is less a chance to trigger pneumonia. The only downside is that it is a high volume injection 1ml to 10kgs bodyweight.

I was giving them Masternectin pour on in regular doses but I might try the injection you recommend instead thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

mickey1985 wrote: »
    I was giving them Masternectin pour on in regular doses but I might try the injection you recommend instead thanks

Most vets recommend changing the active ingredient throughout the year.
    Levamisole is good for a change as it's not a common ingredient in doses now,most are albendazole or ivermectin based.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wenever use the same product twice in a row, and I’d have no faith in pourons any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

I'd be inclined to throw a bit of ctc powder in their meal for a while at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

mickey1985 wrote: »
    I noticed a bunch of my older calves with a bad cough at the outfarm. I presume its some sort of virus as they have been dossed regularly. When the run to meet me they are all out of breath by the time they join me. What would you dose them with in this instance?

Why would you dose for an infection you think is viral?

If you need to dose for worms but are worried because of a virus being present then avoid levamisole. It kills very quickly. Ivermectin and white doses work more slowly.

Also, levamisole won't cover inhibited Ostertagia either.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

It is quite amazing that so many farmers use doses and dont know the active ingredient or what the dose controls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

grassroot1 wrote: »
    It is quite amazing that so many farmers use doses and dont know the active ingredient or what the dose controls.

It surprises me a bit too but then there's a lot farmers have to take in from many sources and the details of dosing can be a bit too much. It's a lot easier if you have the thing explained to you from the start/basics than having to understand it from jumping in halfway along.

In short, read the instructions very carefully (often, it's what is not said rather than what is said you need to note) and be aware of what you need to cover at different times of year.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    It surprises me a bit too but then there's a lot farmers have to take in from many sources and the details of dosing can be a bit too much. It's a lot easier if you have the thing explained to you from the start/basics than having to understand it from jumping in halfway along.

In short, read the instructions very carefully (often, it's what is not said rather than what is said you need to note) and be aware of what you need to cover at different times of year.
    yes but is it not covered in AG college it was drilled into us!!

yes but is it not covered in AG college it was drilled into us!!

Ah yes, but some of us (and some farmers) predate AG College, Grasshopper.

:D:D:D

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah yes, but some of us (and some farmers) predate AG College, Grasshopper.

:D:D:D

Or never went

This might help but you must look at the active ingredients rather than the name of the dose.

Levamisole is basically all there is in one group, the Yellow doses.

Benzimidazoles are the White doses, usually there's a hint in the name of the active ingredient: fenbendazole, albendazole, oxfendazole.

Macrocyclic lactones are the Clear doses, the ivermectin dynasty. Essentially there's only five members- ivermectin, doramectin, moxidectin, eprinomectin, abamectin. The -ectin at the end does tend to give the game away.

Within a group the properties/activity spectrum tend to be constant (for our purposes here).

Main thing to remember is that levamisole doesn't hit Type II (Inhibited) worms. Not a problem with summer dosing but a requirement for winter dosing. Only the ivermectin group have any persistency (and that varies with the member).

For worms, that's about all there is to it.

434486.png

434490.jpg

434491.jpg

434492.jpg

Adam Grant

Fluke are best considered by looking at the youngest age of fluke the doses will hit. Basically, all hit adults and then go down the ages in stages.

For simplicity I'm going to divide up fluke into three categories of age. These definitions need to be remembered as they are integral to understanding fluke doses.

The age is the length of time the fluke has been in the animal.

Early Immature fluke, in the animal 0-6 weeks.

Late Immature fluke, in the animal 6-12 weeks.

Adult fluke, in the animal over 12 weeks.

* Only one dose hits the Early Immatures (and up). That's triclabendazole (yes, it's a member of the -azole family but let's not go there!) Originally, 'Fasinex', now under other names and in combinations.

* Skip the Late Immmatures, for now.

* There are three 'actives' that only hit Adult fluke. Remember these. Oxyclozanide (Zanil), Albendazole, Albex. Clorsulon, in Ivomec Super.
    So, not great options for fluke unless you work within their abilities.

Dose with Zanil, or Albex at the elevated dosage, at housing and you miss the last 3 months of fluke that went into the animal. And when does fluke tend to be available to go into animals? If you house early November, then you miss all of August, September and Octobers fluke.... basically the vast majority of fluke for the year, especially in drier areas. But, 'Shure tis great stuff that Zanil, and cheap too!'

Waiting for the animals to be three months housed to kill all fluke isn't an option either.

* Now, back to the Late Immatures..... basically, everything else. Rafoxanide (Flukanide), Closantel (Flukiver), Nitroxynil (Trodax).

So, depending on how long the animals are housed and thus the age of the youngest fluke that might be in them, and whether you intend to repeat the dose or not, then you choose your fluke dose.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Fasinex will get fluke from 2 weeks up, so wait 2 weeks after housing and then dose them.

Trodax only gets them from 6 weeks up, so, either wait till they're housed 6 weeks and do them just the once, or, do them on housing and get the missed fluke with a second dose 6 weeks later. This last option might be necessary in a situation where you want to use Trodax but it's been a bad year for fluke or your ground is wet, and you can't afford to wait for 6 weeks after housing.

434500.jpg

434501.jpg

I think that covers it in a rough and ready way. Some may argue on the details presented but this is intended as a skeleton that's easy to understand and that you can add detail to later. As a disclaimer, I would suggest that you check the presented 'facts' before relying on them and read the datasheets, especially as for clarity I've omitted some bits that some may find important in favour of brevity and easier understanding.

The illustrations are not my own work. They come from COWS, www.cattleparasites.org.uk.

Adam Grant

I'll see about covering Fluke later..

promises, promises...
    wax on wax off

Some information here, from the same source, about the administration of doses.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

some great info there greysides

from reading a lot of posts on here , i think that some people are using far too much doses (or unsuitable products) when maybe vaccination would be a better option,

also many fail to distinguish between , lung worm, virus, or just a case of common husk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

This looks like a good all rounder a few weeks after housing. Anyone use it before? Iv herd a lot of good things about osmonds products. No price on the page though.

http://www.osmonds.ie/index.php/products/categories/parasite-control/product/158-orafluke

This looks like a good all rounder a few weeks after housing. Anyone use it before? Iv herd a lot of good things about osmonds products. No price on the page though.

http://www.osmonds.ie/index.php/products/categories/parasite-control/product/158-orafluke

Active ingredients are fenbendazole (Panacur) and rafoxanide (Flukanide). Fenbendazole is fine as a housing wormer. Rafoxanide gets fluke from 8 weeks up.

Is it good?

Well, that depends on what you need it to do and how you use it compared to what it can do.

Worms, fine.

Fluke, how long are animals housed? When were they fluke dosed last and with what? What is your land like? What was the weather like this year? Do you intend to dose again later? These are the things you need to know to decide if it can work for you.

It can be easier to decide on doses if you avoid combinations. A lot of combinations are more commercially motivated than therapeutically sensible. A lot of companies don't have two top products to combine, IMO. A combination of levamisole and zanil, given the day of housing, when you expect to fully combat liver fluke and worms, makes no sense whatsoever.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Mine are in about 4 weeks. Dosed regularly during the summer with ivermectin (anemic super) I'm going to dung sample and see. Fairly dry land that they were on but a wet year. Usually don't get much ruman fluke here.

Probably go with Trodax in two weeks and a pour on for lice.

Mine are in about 4 weeks. Dosed regularly during the summer with ivermectin (anemic super) I'm going to dung sample and see. Fairly dry land that they were on but a wet year. Usually don't get much ruman fluke here.

Probably go with Trodax in two weeks and a pour on for lice.

Housed 4 weeks and Trodax in 2 more will cover fluke. A white dose or a ivomec type will cover worms. The ivomec would help with lice too. The worm dose could be given straight away.
    Rumen fluke are not hit by that regime. It's hard to advise on Rumen fluke, the conventional advice is to cover Liver fluke without considering them and see if you need to dose for them by the response to the other dosing. In other words, if the animals are thriving after dosing then leave it be. This year in areas that have previously had RF I think I'd be dosing for them without waiting.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

I usually give all cows a dose of levafas diamond this time of year. I didn't dung sample but it's the regime I've been using the last few years and seems to keep things right. Am I doing right or wrong? I'd be on dry ground but had a wet back end so was going to stick with it. Cattle in 6 weeks now.

Who2 wrote: »
    I usually give all cows a dose of levafas diamond this time of year. I didn't dung sample but it's the regime I've been using the last few years and seems to keep things right. Am I doing right or wrong? I'd be on dry ground but had a wet back end so was going to stick with it. Cattle in 6 weeks now.

Levafas Diamond contains the levamisole/oxyclozanide combo I'd be unhappy about.

But you say it has been working okay for you over the years. And you're not alone. I presume you've sucklers? I know a suckler man who does the same and gets by very well, thank you. Although it's certainly not a regime I'd recommend to him if asked. It illustrates the complexity of recommending doses and why you nearly always hear 'Ask your own vet' somewhere in a discussion.

There's always an animal element that comes into play, and an environment element, as well as the parasite and dose elements.

Suckler cattle should not be under pressure in the same way dairy stock are. The cows are stronger and should have stronger immune systems. Grazing is often more extensive. Neither the calves nor the cows should suffer as much from parasites as a balance is struck between lower parasite levels and more robust immunity. Basically then, you can get away with less thorough dosing regimes without noticing an effect on performance. That is not to say there would not be a measurable improvement with more intense dosing but that there's no obvious suffering because of the lower intensity. One man I did KT for never doses cows or calves... and you'd not ever know it. He has also had sheep on the farm until recently which could have helped too. His fields have probably very low levels of parasites which his healthy stock are able to cope with. It's a situation he would need to monitor as if any of the founding stones of his situation change then things could be different.

Specifically, dosing cows with Levafas will control Rumen fluke but, at 6 weeks housed will leave fluke aged between 6 weeks to adult incompletely checked.

Note the wording 'incompletely checked' because here's an imponderable....

Closantel, the ingredient in Flukiver, and also part of Closamectin, is stated to control fluke from 6 weeks up (Late Immatures) but data that was presented when it first came out states:
    >99% of adult fluke at 12 weeks
    >90% of late immatures at 7 weeks
    43% of immatures at 5 weeks while stunting the other 57% in size by 44% and egg laying by 36%

So while we only view it as only effective against Late Immatures and Adults, it is still affecting younger fluke. Maybe other doses do similar and the oxyclozanide has effects against a slightly wider age group than normally stated. Just not effective enough for the pharmaceutical companies to be able to make claims for it?

Levamisole will kill active worms but leave the inhibited present to activate and contaminate pastures once they go back out. So the effect depends on how many inhibited worms are present. An incalculable.

However, dung sampling for Liver fluke eggs in, say, 8 weeks would be informative. You could get worm eggs done too but a test once they're about a month out would be more useful.

Adam Grant

Well there you are I thought closamectin controlled all stages of liver fluke. Good enough for me so it goes to show you really need to read up about all the products you use.

Well there you are I thought closamectin controlled all stages of liver fluke. Go enough for me so it goes to show you really need to read up about all the products you use.

The advertising for Closamectin stated 'Because of its flukicidal action and stunting effects on surviving flukes, the epidemiological efficacy potential of closantel is comparable to that of triclabendazole.'

For what it's worth...

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

I always thought that blanket use of Zanil and Levafas Diamond on all cows was reckoned to be a bad idea since its overuse can lead to resistance and how do you treat Rumen Fluke then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks Greysides for your very informative posts and links, I've learned a lot after reading them. I'm going to bookmark this page for future reference :)
    I always thought that Levacide injection was safer to use for lungworms as it wasn't as aggressive as some other products e.g. Levafas Diamond. We stopped using Levasfas Diamond a 5/6 years ago as we reckoned that it triggered pneumonia in some of the calves. We never had a pneumonia reaction since using Levacide.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I dung sampled a few in October and it showed up that rumen fluke was present with no sign of liver fluke at all. So when I was housing them In late October I dosed cows and weanlings with levafas diamond. I intend to dose with closamectin pour on between the Christmas and new year. Does that sound ok or would you have any other advice greysides?

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I dung sampled a few in October and it showed up that rumen fluke was present with no sign of liver fluke at all. So when I was housing them In late October I dosed cows and weanlings with levafas diamond. I intend to dose with closamectin pour on between the Christmas and new year. Does that sound ok or would you have any other advice greysides?

The dung sample would need adult fluke present for there to be eggs in it. There might only have been immatures present at that stage due to timing.

The Closamectin will do the trick as regards tidying everything up. Only thing I see there is that you're delaying dosing for worms for 2 months but the levamisole dose at housing should have it under control anyway.

You need to be wary looking at dung sample results for Ruminal Fluke. Egg laying adults can be present without causing any problems while alternatively the pathogenic larvae could be causing problems with no sign of eggs in the dung. You would need to consider animal performance/clinical signs and previous farm history in deciding to dose.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

My doseing regime is calf's get done 3 times in summer and autumn for worms then everything is dung sampled 6 weeks after housing and usually calf's wean lings done for fluke and worms around then if burden is bad. Cows only ever done after calfing in spring mostly on turn out. Last few years was lei fast diamond because they showed up rumen fluke. Works for me on mixed land of wet and dry.

• Advertisement

valtra2 wrote: »
    My doseing regime is calf's get done 3 times in summer and autumn for worms then everything is dung sampled 6 weeks after housing and usually calf's wean lings done for fluke and worms around then if burden is bad. Cows only ever done after calfing in spring mostly on turn out. Last few years was lei fast diamond because they showed up rumen fluke. Works for me on mixed land of wet and dry.

If it works, it works.

Comments: Assuming sucker cows with calves. You could try dosing on the results of faecal sampling over the summer. Might save you some hassle and expense. Suckler calves on cows may well not need any dosing until after weaning. I'd be inclined dose calves and weanlings at housing either routinely or on the basis of samples avoiding waiting and losing performance.
    Eight or more weeks after housing allows most fluke to have become adult and egg-shedding so that will be a good indicator of requirements. I see no point in waiting to dose cows till going out, as you are losing the chance to have them completely cleaned out over the time of the year when feeding is most expensive.

Adam Grant

Advertisement