Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

All pointless - there's no point in carrying stations on DAB that are available on FM.

Also no point if you can't get a decent quality feed from the programme sources, that 'trial' is just using web streams, most very dodgy quality.

DAB will only work in Ireland if it carries other services.

But that's why the IBI don't want it - they don't want any competition. So the only reason they're on board for this test is that THEIR members are the only stations on it.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 digitalise

Get a grip. It's not all pointless. It's a trial. Yes they are all stations that are already on FM but elsewhere in the country - not Dublin. You might have a point if stations were on FM and DAB covering the same area - that's how it seems to be in the UK.  But even that wouldn't be pointless.  I have DAB in the car and I don't hop between FM & DAB.  I just stick with the DAB.  So this is great for me.
    I think  someone has already said that they've sent encoders out to each station - so it's not rebroadcasting the stations web stream. Sounds fine to me.
    I do agree that the best chance for DAB taking off is if it carries other services.  But can you see that happening? Who runs radio in this country -  is IBI or is it BAI? Is the tail wagging the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dave4565

It is pointless this is proven technology what is there to test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

digitalise wrote: »
    Who runs radio in this country -  is IBI or is it BAI?

DOB init :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dave4565 wrote: »
    It is pointless this is proven technology what is there to test

it's not pointless. the technology hasn't been proved in irish conditions, so therefore it has to be tested. This particular mux is using software based solutions so they will need to be tested in terms of irish conditions such as coverage.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's not using web feeds. They've sent units to each of the commercial stations to capture the audio at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

JDxtra wrote: »
    It's not using web feeds. They've sent units to each of the commercial stations to capture the audio at source.

oh - I wonder why the audio qualities are so variable then.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dave4565

it's not pointless. the technology hasn't been proved in irish conditions, so therefore it has to be tested. This particular mux is using software based solutions so they will need to be tested in terms of irish conditions such as coverage.

transmitting from montrose using 200w is not testing coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Scotty66

There is a saying: “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear”. I’m sure Viacom would concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The FM version audio quality of Newstalk is so much clearer compared to the Minimux one, so there is definitely some difference in how the feeds are sourced.

• Advertisement

it actually is testing coverage. these minny muxes are for small local based dab setups. these setups are good for community radio, or could be used for small infill setups for coverage blackspots. if the trial is successful it might potentially lead to some sort of rollout, all be it that is probably more wishful thinking then actual reality. the potential is there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Expunge

it actually is testing coverage. these minny muxes are for small local based dab setups. these setups are good for community radio, or could be used for small infill setups for coverage blackspots. if the trial is successful it might potentially lead to some sort of rollout, all be it that is probably more wishful thinking then actual reality. the potential is there though.

So why not test it in South Kerry and Donegal?

Expunge wrote: »
    So why not test it in South Kerry and Donegal?

what is wrong with testing it in dublin which would be easier and quicker for the operators of the mux to get to.
    contact the mux operator and ask them why they made the choice to test in dublin rather then elsewhere. viamux is their name i believe. let us know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Expunge

what is wrong with testing it in dublin which would be easier and quicker for the operators of the mux to get to.
    contact the mux operator and ask them why they made the choice to test in dublin rather then elsewhere. viamux is their name i believe. let us know what they say.

Jeez! Keep your hair on!
    I'll ask the people paying for it and hosting it - RTÉ and the IBI.

And the answer probably is; we're doing it to say we're doing it. We have ticked the box and we really don't give a ****e.
    We have no intention of opening things up to other serious commercial operators.
    Things are just fine as they are.
    200 watts from a shed in Donnybrook is as ambitious as we will get for now.

the IBI will have no choice but to put up with more competition in the terrestrial radio sector eventually if they want to remain relevant. they will either willingly engage or be left behind, but more competition is coming sooner or later whether they want it or not.
    terrestrial radio listening while still high is slowly decreasing due to other forms of competition which offers choice and meets listeners requirements, so if the IBI want terrestrial radio to remain relevant they will modernise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The small-scale DAB trial mini-muxes in the UK are licensed to transmit at 50-100 watts, higher than analogue community radio at 25 watts. Future planning for the rollout of these muxes nationwide will limit the power to 100 watts.

The Cush wrote: »
    The small-scale DAB trial mini-muxes in the UK are licensed to transmit at 50-100 watts, higher than analogue community radio at 25 watts.

that's right. the good thing is it will mean that local uk community radio will have a decent potential reach finally.
    Future planning for the rollout of these muxes nationwide will limit the power to 100 watts.

that's a bit disappointing if i'm honest. i was hoping that things would be taken on a case by case basis but i suppose realistically it's not the most important thing for now. maybe in time the limits will be increased where warrented.

that's a bit disappointing if i'm honest. i was hoping that things would be taken on a case by case basis but i suppose realistically it's not the most important thing for now. maybe in time the limits will be increased where warrented.

Where required local SFNs could be implemented to increase coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

All pointless - there's no point in carrying stations on DAB that are available on FM.

But that's why the IBI don't want it - they don't want any competition. So the only reason they're on board for this test is that THEIR members are the only stations on it.
    And what stations would you propose they do put on there? Depending on who you ask, either any station with a licence from the competent authority in an EU member state can broadcast on a 'local' platform (seems to work for Satellite and Cable?) or only a local station can do so vis-a-vis content licence.

Of course they don't, it's easy to claim you're "number one" when you have a captive market and effectively zero competition. Easy to justify when you cite "finite advertising income" and easy to implement when you have regulatory capture.
    digitalise wrote: »
    Yes they are all stations that are already on FM but elsewhere in the country - not Dublin.

...Is the tail wagging the dog?
    So Dubliners with DAB radios can now experience the radio landscape in the South East; three ILRs within reception range all sounding effectively the same as each other. :D

Yes, it's text-book regulatory capture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

On Tuesday I bought a basic portable radio as we were without power and I thought it handy for future use. Most of my radio listening these days is done in the car or using smartphone apps.

Instinctively I just went for a FM/AM radio but it got me thinking afterwards. Where are we in Ireland with DAB and is there any chance in the future that Ireland will do a switch-over from FM to DAB?

Apologies, this probably seems a basic question and something that has probably being discussed to death here, I'm not a frequent user of the Radio forum.

• Advertisement

Instinctively I just went for a FM/AM radio but it got me thinking afterwards. Where are we in Ireland with DAB and is there any chance in the future that Ireland will do a switch-over from FM to DAB?

Stuck in first gear, no national digital radio rollout plan, no FM transition plan, no interest from the commercial broadcasters.

Waiting for an announcement about this small-scale DAB+ trial and the future plans for digital radio, likely to happen at the Digital Radio UK ‘Doing the DAB’ event in Belfast on Nov 17th where JP Coakley, RTÉ's Director of Radio Operations, is taking part.

Elsewhere, Norway switches off the last of their national FM transmitters this Dec as they complete the transition to digital radio broadcasting. Switzerland - South Tyrol 2017, DSO national start 2020 - and Denmark may follow in the years ahead. These countries have population coverage in excess of 98%. The UK, Germany and Netherlands have similar coverage but no plans to switch off FM broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Just to clarify, Norway are indeed at a very advanced stage of DAB roll out and FM switch off. However, it is only for national services. They are keeping local and regional FM transmitters. The DAB service only carries national radio stations.

Related to a previous poster and buying a battery powered FM radio for emergency situations....all digital/DAB radios are notoriously heavy on batteries. Maybe not ideal for emergencies unless you have a lot more batteries than you would usually stock pile.

More Music wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Norway are indeed at a very advanced stage of DAB roll out and FM switch off. However, it is only for national services. They are keeping local and regional FM transmitters. The DAB service only carries national radio stations.

Yes, that's why I mentioned their national FM transmitters. The national commercial, PSBs (regional) and larger local broadcasters are switching to DAB/DAB+ only. Smaller local stations can continue on FM until the end of 2021.
    The DAB service only carries national radio stations.

Not correct, there are currently 7 local multiplexes carry mostly DAB+ exclusive stations with licence applications being advertised for other areas -

I'm able to pick up these two multiplexes in and around the south inner city, with the occasional bit in the city centre. Was getting an intermittent signal on Abbey Street earlier today. I'm just using a cheap handheld DAB radio from Argos which uses the headphone cable as the aerial so it's probably not great in fairness.

Some stations still have no audio though, Radio Kerry being one of them.

http://www.wohnort.org/dab/ireland.html#tests

Latest snapshots of the Dublin mini muxes, updated earlier today. Still some stations without audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

The small-scale DAB trial mini-muxes in the UK are licensed to transmit at 50-100 watts, higher than analogue community radio at 25 watts. Future planning for the rollout of these muxes nationwide will limit the power to 100 watts.
    signal coverage is terrible,cant even get it in stillorgan 2 miles away as the crow flys,25 watts on fm would give much better coverage

Digital Radio UK ‘Doing the DAB’ event in Belfast today, 11.00-12.00, where JP Coakley, RTÉ's Director of Radio Operations, is taking part.

http://www.belfastmediafestival.co.uk/events/doing-the-dab/
    Doing the Dab – the future of radio in Northern Ireland

Digital radio listening in Northern Ireland is now growing faster than the rest of the UK and the availability of DAB has been transformed with over 54 stations available, and coverage expanded. The last 3 years have seen the launch of local stations Downtown Country, BBC Radio Foyle and most recently U105 on DAB, as well as the launch of the second national DAB network, Sound Digital, with 18 stations. This investment in content and coverage has accelerated the growth of DAB ownership to 40% and digital listening to 30%, behind the rest of the UK but growing fast.

Doing the DAB: Northern Ireland will hear about the future of digital radio in Northern Ireland and how local stations BBC Radio Ulster, BBC Radio Foyle, Downtown Radio, Downtown Country, Cool FM and U105 are using digital platforms to reach new audiences.

Additionally, the Republic of Ireland’s public service broadcaster, RTÉ, will talk about future plans for digital radio

Speakers:

Ford Ennals
    Stuart Robinson
    Mark Mahaffy
    JP Croakley
    Jimmy Buckland
    Peter McVerry
    Michael Tumelty
    Larry Deeney

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

RTE to close down their Dab network ?

Are you serious? You're only kidding right, that's not the way to go, closing down Long Wave 252 and FM Radio is what makes more sense, where did you hear this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Are you serious? You're only kidding right, that's not the way to go, closing down Long Wave 252 and FM Radio is what makes more sense, where did you hear this?

Not a chance is that true. Especially with their recent push on Rté gold, DAB is here to stay.

• Advertisement

I read it a slightly sarcastic reply to More Music's original post
    Big news on the way.

Ssshh.
    RTE to close down their Dab network ?

Advertisement