Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quote?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

One from my favourite film The Shawshank Redemption, that I remind myself of when I’m having a bad day -

“I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

This thread is going great.

Thanks everyone. Some absolute gems here.

Another quote I like is from a lesser known saw doctors song

"We've seen the other side of life,
    And not been too impressed.
    Nothing beats a day at home,
    When you put it to the test"

Great song. Resonates with me . No matter where I go in the world or what I see , the best journey is always the one up the road to my home house to my parents . Long may it last

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

I have so many favorites, I could probably post in the thread all day, here is another one which currently can be purchased in Heatons on a matching soap dish & toilet brush holder. :)

“What if I fall? Oh,but my darling,what if you fly?” - Erin Hanson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

'I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself than on the opinion of others'.

Marcus Aurelius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."
    ~ Mahatma Ghandi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation".

"No good deed goes unpunished".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

" If we had have got a decent Center Forward, we could have won the whole thing"

Socrates

Spain 1982

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

HL Mencken: 1920

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Actually Mencken is a gold lode of (fairly cynical) but brilliant quotes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

'The man who never made a mistake never made anything'

My grandad, (Who I presume robbed it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

When nothing goes right, go left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.
    Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.
    But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.
    This was the Captain Samuel Vimes ‘Boots’ theory of socio-economic unfairness. (MA)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sometimes...You're better off worse off

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"
    In the land of the bland, the one idea man is king(Me©) :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

Bond,James Bond,Brosnan's Bond delivers this dialogue excellently.
    Also
    Tommy Vercetti:This is the last dance for Lance Vance.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

~Inigo Montoya

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

"Fůck in or Fůck out".

My mum's (aged in late 60s) spin on "pîss or get off the pot".

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Have fun storming the castle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It takes hands to build a house but only hearts can build a Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, B to the rian. All that matters is that you beat the leprechauns"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe".

Carl Sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Every time I learn something new it pushes the old stuff out.

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
    Leonard Cohen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Not massively inspiring I'll Grant you but my fave!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    That Pooh lad is wise beyond his years.

"Bother," said Pooh as he heard the trip wire click.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

"Die dog or sh1te the licence!".

"The man who made time made plenty of it".

Anon.

"I never knew a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it worse."
    Brendan Behan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

cantdecide wrote: »
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe".

Carl Sagan

Does that mean you need the grains and the apple trees first? As in creating the Earth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

"If you love life don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of" - Bruce Lee

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live" - Marcus Aurelius

Current favourite that's getting me through things and keeping my focus is a simple and pure "Do it anyway, c**t" handwritten in big block letters on my wall next to my bed. Have gotten more than a few odd and worried looks from people when they see it but it's working a charm.

Advertisement