Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Signs Ecological Endgame Is Coming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We always find a way to solve problems thats why we are top of the tree

Let there be no panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Things to kill us off as they come together in this century

- antibiotic residue
    - low soil fertility
    - insect decline
    - climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

What plants or animals has Ireland lost in the last 50 years?

Why does all gloomster/doomster forecasts want "other people" to do something?

Why don't all those who want a reduced population to "save the planet" volunteer and reduce themselves?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    People will bury their heads in the sand and continue having 4+ kids.
    Not many have that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

gk5000 wrote: »
    What plants or animals has Ireland lost in the last 50 years?

Why does all gloomster/doomster forecasts want "other people" to do something?

Why don't all those who want a reduced population to "save the planet" volunteer and reduce themselves?

So you think everything is alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭jackboy

This kind of thing always brings out this misanthropes.

Ignorant insults are easy.

It's hardly controversial to believe that mankind is heading for catastrophe. I would love to hear a good opinion on why it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

It's quite an elephant in the room.

Except there won't be any elephants in any room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

8 billion on Earth by 2024, 9 billion by 2040

The planet simply does not have the resources for that many human beings

It will lead to our extinction event.

100 years ago, the global population was around the 2 billion mark. Quadrupled in 100 years. Those numbers alone scare the poop out of me. Another interesting statistic, the population of trees on the planet has been more than halved since the evolution of modern humans. This rock is dying and honestly I think we're passed the point of no return. And all that doesn't even factor in the area coverage of humanity, areas that we have stripped from wildlife hence the destruction and massive reduction of ecological systems. The planet's best hope, and by extension every other form of life, is our extinction or us leaving this planet entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

yeeessss, go us. in the battle of man v nature we are finally winning. we will kick that mother's ass and man will reign supreme.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Overpopulation is the problem.

Anyway now its like trying to fix the un-fixable might as well ride it out with no fecks given, sad really.

The only cure... Total self destruction and its going to happen at some point with a super bug or whatever.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Overpopulation is the problem.

Anyway now its like trying to fix the un-fixable might as well ride it out with no fecks given, sad really.

The only cure... Total self destruction and its going to happen at some point with a super bug or whatever.

Or Trump or Kim Jong-Un :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Once again we're sleepwalking into calamity, a world obsessed with cheap food and eating lots of meat and dairy products has created a growing environment which is built around chemical control of the natural world combined with agricultural monoculture which starves us of biodiversity.

We reap what we sow

I think you are missing the obvious here

Overpopulation is the single main issue with the planet. Humans and other animals have been eating each other for millennia. With so many humans on the planet there is an obvious imbalance in the use of all resources. Carnivores arnt the problem that vegans would lead you to believe ...

It has been said that the only environmentally friendly human is a dead one - that goes whether they are vegan or otherwise ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

jackboy wrote: »
    Ignorant insults are easy.

It's hardly controversial to believe that mankind is heading for catastrophe. I would love to hear a good opinion on why it won't happen.

There’s nothing ignorant in attacking Malthusian ideologies. They are always wrong. Smarter people than you will fix this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Tilikum wrote: »
    By the year 2050, there’ll be more plastic in our oceans that fish.

Ummmm. Plastic fish

I always wonder why those who argue over population continue to exist, and in many cases have children themselves.

I always wonder why those who argue over population continue to exist, and in many cases have children themselves.

So you're suggesting that anyone who thinks that ours species is overpopulated should.....? Or am I misreading you completely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

The problem is there are too many people. Individual governments should limit its citizens to 1 child per couple. This in time would obviously drastically cut the population. Robots can do more and more jobs moving forward.

Luckily most of us on here will be dead before it really effects so so its not our problem.

jaxxx wrote: »
    So you're suggesting that anyone who thinks that ours species is overpopulated should.....? Or am I misreading you completely?

That would leave the breeders to rule the planet ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭jackboy

There’s nothing ignorant in attacking Malthusian ideologies. They are always wrong. Smarter people than you will fix this.

Hopefully. Things are rapidly getting worse despite all these smart people. I hope they start solving the big problems soon.

jaxxx wrote: »

No, not at all. You are reading me clearly.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    That would leave the breeders to rule the planet ...

the breeders and their descendants always rule the planet. You yourself are a descendent of ancestors who bred every generation , right back to the dawn of sexual reproduction.

I guess this thread alone shows why its going to happen. This is going to peter out with a few dozen posts while people prefer to talk about teacher's holidays.

Not that I'm looking for a 'successful' thread or anything but it shows that we collectively chose to bury our heads in the sand. We'd rather not think about it. Sure I'll be dead by the time it gets serious.

The puzzling bit is that most of us are mothers and fathers or want to be. But I don't know how anyone can in the knowledge whats most likely in stock for them or for their children. Surely even if you chose to ignore, deep down people must have a niggling feeling things aren't going quite right.

But with the issue at hand. Whats that got to do with anything? Just because people who come to this conclusion don't jump off the next cliff doesn't make the whole question any less valid.

the breeders and their descendants always rule the planet. *You yourself are a descendent of ancestors who bred every generation , right back to the dawn of sexual reproduction.

*An over obvious statement no? But they may not 'always rule the planet' - thats the issue. Yes I'm aware that the behaviour of breeders which has resulted in the current population level of the planet. Yet it remains that the issue of a single species over running the planet brings with it the possibility that hominid overbreeding has already been seriousley detrimental to the health and viability of the current planet ecosystem.

Calls for brakes to be applied to this scenario are therefore unlikely to come from those who see no issue in procreation without forethought. My reply was aimed at the poster who indicated (imo) that those who may be critical of this behaviour in the interest of long term species survival should not.

But don't worry it is most likely that the planet will have the last laugh ...

Ruling has responsibilities which we seem to neglect in a big way.

The planet will have the last laugh. Our efforts are not even a blip on a cosmic scale. But what a sad tragedy it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

If only there was something that would spew out usable energy for the next 5 billion years that we could somehow harness for our energy needs. Oh well.

The big thing for me will be the systematic reduction and elimination of fossil fuel powered vehicles. It's happening soon. The sooner the better.
    When the CEO of Shell Oil says his next car purchase will be all electric then you know the will is there and the writing is on the wall for oil producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Ruling has responsibilities which we seem to neglect in a big way.

The planet will have the last laugh. Our efforts are not even a blip on a cosmic scale. But what a sad tragedy it would be.

And Mother Nature will lash out and protect herself by dealing with the human plague? Amirite?

God, I truly hate when people suggest that the planet is a sentient being.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

To make it worse, most of them are children or have been children themselves at some point.

And Mother Nature will lash out and protect herself by dealing with the human plague? Amirite?

God, I truly hate when people suggest that the planet is a sentient being.

Nobody did that here. I was merely picking up a metaphor previously used.

I could retort saying how much I hate it when people deliberately misrepresent and pick on something that’s got nothing to with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Leave a better legacy for your children...by not having them.

Advertisement