Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Signs Ecological Endgame Is Coming?

Options
  • 19-10-2017 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭

From a another study we already learned earlier this year that we decimated roughly 2/3 of all wild living animals in the world since 1970. Today many leading papers report on a scientific study showing we also 'lost' 75% of all flying insects since the late 80ies.

Link

Are we reaching soon the point of no return, is ecological endgame near? And why is this not number one in the headlines, but buried deep down somewhere in the environment section if it makes the headlines at all?

We are really living on borrowed time now aren't we? We are going to destroy all habitats and all ecological environments and ultimately ourselves, aren't we?

To me this is a rhetorical question. I have thought this to be true since I was a teenager.

What does everyone else think and more importantly what do people think can be done to stop and reverse all this? What can we do to shake people and politics up and everyone and everything out of their apathy and ignorance before it is too late?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Once again we're sleepwalking into calamity, a world obsessed with cheap food and eating lots of meat and dairy products has created a growing environment which is built around chemical control of the natural world combined with agricultural monoculture which starves us of biodiversity.

We reap what we sow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Once again we're sleepwalking into calamity, a world obsessed with cheap food and eating lots of meat and dairy products has created a growing environment which is built around chemical control of the natural world combined with agricultural monoculture which starves us of biodiversity.

We reap what we sow

What's your solution? Vegan diets and seaweed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

By the year 2050, there’ll be more plastic in our oceans that fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Odd report that. From the graph you’d think this should have been noticed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I was in the north of Scotland last summer and I can assure everyone that there is NO reduction in the number of midges..........(the little feckers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sustainable? Not heaping millions of tons of Pestizides onto our lands? Not killing everything for a cheap buck? Not exploiting everything, raxing things to the ground for the sake of ‘the economy’. Do away with this folly of everlasting growth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Soylent Green?

Sustainable? Not heaping millions of tons of Pestizides onto our lands? Not killing everything for a cheap buck? Not exploiting everything, raxing things to the ground for the sake of ‘the economy’. Do away with this folly of everlasting growth?

People do be complaining about austerity though dey do.

Well they will be complaining about collapsing ecosystems. I'm sure of that. Because that won't be pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I was in the north of Scotland last summer and I can assure everyone that there is NO reduction in the number of midges..........(the little feckers).
    where are the birds and other insects to control them?

• Advertisement

Well they will be complaining about collapsing ecosystems. I'm sure of that. Because that won't be pretty.

So what we need is growth and no collapsing ecosystems. That’s probably within the wit of mankind.

Either reduce or replace these pesticides.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The world is ****ed, simple as. And the sooner we are wiped off this planet, the better is will be for the species left to rebuild and flourish on the hollow planet we've created.

8 billion on Earth by 2024, 9 billion by 2040

The planet simply does not have the resources for that many human beings

It will lead to our extinction event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I've got some natural, chemical free food in my pantry that you should try.

8 billion on Earth by 2024, 9 billion by 2040

The planet simply does not have the resources for that many human beings

It will lead to our extinction event.

Bill Gates is working on that, according to the conspiracy theory forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Some kind of virus to wipe out about 90% of the population. Then Captain Chandler can save the remainder.

So what we need is growth and no collapsing ecosystems. That’s probably within the wit of mankind.

Either reduce or replace these pesticides.

It should be. Maybe treat nature as a valuable asset. In the literal sense. Within the current economical system even. Incentivise zero emission, zero impact. Impose penalty systems for over-fishing, razing forests, mono-cultures etc. Reward preservation and restoration. Make 50% of all land wildlife reserves, no messin. Something drastic by our standards.

Ipso wrote: »
    Bill Gates is working on that, according to the conspiracy theory forum.

Is that the UN Agenda 21 conspiracy? Or is it another one.

To tell you the truth with all these conspiracies about malevolent forces controlling us like puppets, it's easy to get confused.

But...wait a minute....maybe that's what THEY want.....

Is that the UN Agenda 21 conspiracy?

No that's a different one. I think the population control one ties to the Georgia Guide Stones, people have been predicting the population cull for a while now, going to happen any minute (as the population sky rockets, no less).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Sure we will just invent something to fix it. Humans are great. Up the humans.

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    The world is ****ed, simple as. And the sooner we are wiped off this planet, the better is will be for the species left to rebuild and flourish on the hollow planet we've created.

Not yet ***ed, badly dented, but not yet ***ed. But it looks like we're just not going to bother about it too much until it will be too late. Therefore I agree with you, sadly. And in the long run it won't matter, but for the current crop including ourselves it's not looking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭jackboy

Massive population decrease is the only solution. It will happen in a series of catastrophic events. I can't see how this can be avoided at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another aspect of this is the loss of top soil, the current rate of degradation suggests that there are about 60 growing seasons left before we start to starve unless we make changes.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/#

jackboy wrote: »
    Massive population decrease is the only solution. It will happen in a series of catastrophic events. I can't see how this can be avoided at this stage.

This kind of thing always brings out this misanthropes.

This kind of thing always brings out this misanthropes.

Even the most optimistic people will have to agree it's absolutely possible this is whats going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The world is completely doomed, not in our lifetime but we are going to leave one ****ty world for future generations to grow up in if its even barely habitable by then. Nobody cares about the environment as its not directly affecting them right now, incredibly a very large amount of people dont even believe in man made climate change. No change large enough will come about until its too late

We are extremely lucky fossil fuels will run out soon and we will be forced to use other renewable sources and just maybe we will be able to stop causing too much damage before its too late.

It's quite an elephant in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

From a another study we already learned earlier this year that we decimated roughly 2/3 of all wild living animals in the world since 1970. Today many leading papers report on a scientific study showing we also 'lost' 75% of all flying insects since the late 80ies.

Link

Are we reaching soon the point of no return, is ecological endgame near? And why is this not number one in the headlines, but buried deep down somewhere in the environment section if it makes the headlines at all?

We are really living on borrowed time now aren't we? We are going to destroy all habitats and all ecological environments and ultimately ourselves, aren't we?

To me this is a rhetorical question. I have thought this to be true since I was a teenager.

What does everyone else think and more importantly what do people think can be done to stop and reverse all this? What can we do to shake people and politics up and everyone and everything out of their apathy and ignorance before it is too late?

People will bury their heads in the sand and continue having 4+ kids.

These morons don't even realise it's their own kids that will suffer this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Roger_007 wrote: »

Ive heard there's loads of the little feckers in the north of Norway too in the summer!!

wtf!!

• Advertisement

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    People will bury their heads in the sand and continue having 4+ kids.

These morons don't even realise it's their own kids that will suffer this world.

Very few people in the west having that number kids.

Advertisement