Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Cosgrave RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you go against what your party want to do to modernise, that is 'regressive' all day long regardless of conscience.

What does modernise mean?

I am guilty of using the same language from time to time but in reality when you use the word "modernise", you are attempting to put down the opposite side by portraying them as backwards looking.

Cosgrave would probably say that he was looking for a return to traditional values. Again, that might be a phrase used by an Irish language lobbyist or a traditional republican in another context at a different time and be welcomed by some of the people now criticising Cosgrave.

Language has a power all by itself. Context is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,428 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    What does modernise mean?

I am guilty of using the same language from time to time but in reality when you use the word "modernise", you are attempting to put down the opposite side by portraying them as backwards looking.

Cosgrave would probably say that he was looking for a return to traditional values. Again, that might be a phrase used by an Irish language lobbyist or a traditional republican in another context at a different time and be welcomed by some of the people now criticising Cosgrave.

Language has a power all by itself. Context is everything.

The context was a political party trying to make peoples lives better and free them from enslavement to outdated moral dogma of one church essentially, by giving them choice.

Liam decided he knew better like many Roman Catholic males.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭kk.man

The context was a political party trying to make peoples lives better and free them from enslavement to outdated moral dogma of one church essentially, by giving them choice.

Liam decided he knew better like many Roman Catholic males.

It's very easy be populist and stand on a soap box these days. I lived in 70s Ireland it was not a revolutionary decade. Mass attendance was at an all time high, seminaries were full and conservative politics were in vogue. So to say regressive and not modernising people's well being is far wide of the mark by voting against contraception.

kk.man wrote: »
    It's very easy be populist and stand on a soap box these days. I lived in 70s Ireland it was not a revolutionary decade. Mass attendance was at an all time high, seminaries were full and conservative politics were in vogue. So to say regressive and not modernising people's well being is far wide of the mark by voting against contraception.

His party were attempting to modernise society - which is hardly a revolutionary thing to do - Liam went against his party policy and stood for the traditional Roman Catholic stance. That is regressive all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

By your post, he was populist and not looking to change things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You realize that voting against legalising contraception was being populist? If you don’t you really need to look up what populist means.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You realize that voting against legalising contraception was being populist? If you don’t you really need to look up what populist means.

In what way was voting against legalising contraception being populist?

FG lost the following general election, in part because of their Taoiseach sticking with his conscience, hardly a populist outcome, was it?

For some reason you have misinterpreted my use of populist. When I referred to populist I mean the liberal agenda of today not in anyway Cosgrave stance on various subjects of the 1970s.

I have just read Micheal Martin's position on the 8th amendment and funny enough he uses the word 'conscience' as a method party members may adopt when voting. Is he regressive or maybe on the orders of a reglious establishment?

For some reason you have misinterpreted my use of populist. When I referred to populist I mean the liberal agenda of today not in anyway Cosgrave stance on various subjects of the 1970s.

I have just read Micheal Martin's position on the 8th amendment and funny enough he uses the word 'conscience' as a method party members may adopt when voting. Is he regressive or maybe on the orders of a reglious establishment?

He is allowing party members to let their conscience influence party policy. A limp way to do politics and regressive.
    If you believe in choice then legislate for it. Lead. Exercise your conscience when YOU have to choose.

He is allowing party members to let their conscience influence party policy. A limp way to do politics and regressive.
    If you believe in choice then legislate for it. Lead. Exercise your conscience when YOU have to choose.

Micheál knows that there is a certain conservative element among FF membership and in order to not rock the boat this is the best policitial stragetry. After all this is politics ! Call it opt out or cop out but it's regressive in the eyes of the liberal agenda. I think it's an unfair assessment. Will Martin's policitial legacy be defined by this decision? I think not nor should it no more than the late Mr. Cosgrave.

• Advertisement

Micheál knows that there is a certain conservative element among FF membership and in order to not rock the boat this is the best policitial stragetry. After all this is politics ! Call it opt out or cop out but it's regressive in the eyes of the liberal agenda. I think it's an unfair assessment. Will Martin's policitial legacy be defined by this decision? I think not nor should it no more than the late Mr. Cosgrave.

If he is pandering to people who don't want to move forward ie 'conserve', then he is being regressive, ie, he wants to go back or tread water.

Cosgrove was a conservative who sought to hold back the rights of men and women.

If he is pandering to people who don't want to move forward ie 'conserve', then he is being regressive, ie, he wants to go back or tread water.

Cosgrove was a conservative who sought to hold back the rights of men and women.

If Martin had a clear majority he wouldn't give two hoots on this issue.
    Cosgrave maybe defined as conservative but like Martin did not impose his stance thus allowing a free vote. I fail to see where either have held back rights of people nor were/is any sanctions for those who differ.

If Martin had a clear majority he wouldn't give two hoots on this issue.
    Cosgrave maybe defined as conservative but like Martin did not impose his stance thus allowing a free vote. I fail to see where either have held back rights of people nor were/is any sanctions for those who differ.

He had no problems with 'rights' when he stood over the Heavy Gang and that underpins the man. He 'imposed'
    No nobody paid any attention to him on the contraception issue, but was that his intention? Looking at his career, I doubt it. He tried to regress. He failed

Once again we are seeing the misuse of language.

Regressive is someone who wants to reverse change (note I am calling it change, not modernisation).

Conservative is someone who wants to retain the status quo or only make small changes.

Labelling also depends on a point of view. You could argue that someone who believes Ireland should be united for the first time since Brian Boru is the ultimate regressive or that someone who believes the island should live in peace and harmony under the one flag is the ultimate progressive. Another person might call either of them naive.

All of those are labels from different perspectives.

He had no problems with 'rights' when he stood over the Heavy Gang and that underpins the man. He 'imposed'
    No nobody paid any attention to him on the contraception issue, but was that his intention? Looking at his career, I doubt it. He tried to regress. He failed

There is no factual proof of a 'heavy gang' and certainly no imposition of rights. Regression is imprinted all over Fiinna Fail long history in power under Dev.
    You are on a liberal soap box which you are quite entited, however they are others who make up this country which can express their views and opinions. I prefer looking at this debate from a holistic view point.

There is no factual proof of a 'heavy gang' and certainly no imposition of rights. Regression is imprinted all over Fiinna Fail long history in power under Dev.
    You are on a liberal soap box which you are quite entited, however they are others who make up this country which can express their views and opinions. I prefer looking at this debate from a holistic view point.

OK, no factual proof of a 'heavy gang'? I'm out. When you get down to arguing about a word your client is in bother.
    Carry on with the canonisation.

OK, no factual proof of a 'heavy gang'? I'm out. When you get down to arguing about a word your client is in bother.
    Carry on with the canonisation.

On your last point he would not have been a policitial hero of mine, I simply admired him as he was a man for his time.
    I prefer to look objectively on these political/social issues.

blanch152 wrote: »
    In what way was voting against legalising contraception being populist?

Because 90% of the country were made going Catholics. He did what was popular to his supporters over what was best for the people of Ireland.
    FG lost the following general election, in part because of their Taoiseach sticking with his conscience, hardly a populist outcome, was it?

I think you’ll find they lost that election because of how the economic crisis was mishandled.

they/them/theirs

You’re using “populist” wrong, I’m not misinterpretating your use.

Yes. He is being regressive. What’s your point?

they/them/theirs

On your last point he would not have been a policitial hero of mine, I simply admired him as he was a man for his time.

You are not looking objectively, you are looking at him through an excusing filter (in bold above)

Is Harvey Weinstein excused because 'he is a man for his time'? You can excuse anyone with that subjective phrase

• Advertisement

What did you admire actually?

they/them/theirs

The truth being told finally.

“any assessment of Liam Cosgrave’s life must also include a discussion of his willingness to indulge in such authoritarian populist rhetoric…and his government’s record regarding civil liberties”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/diarmaid-ferriter-cosgrave-s-support-of-the-garda-cast-a-long-shadow-1.3255166

• Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Are you denying the existence of the Heavy Gang?

You misused the term. He was populist by definition and your summation. Populism isn't going with the popular flow, only if the popular flow is liberal.
    The liberal 'agenda' of today is a new way the conservative right have to espouse their brand of conspiracy theory. People can have both liberal and conservative views on a number of topics.
    If the view in Cosgrave's time was high church attendance coupled with right wing conservatism, was he following the conservative agenda or 'a man of his time'? We can't have different rules based on our leanings.

As the violence intensified, the State came to perceive the conflict not just as a problem it had a responsibility to solve but as a direct threat to its own existence.
    An array of special-powers legislation was enacted. The Garda sought to monitor all “subversives”, and elements of the force – “the heavy gang” – assumed a free hand to mistreat and even frame suspects.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/what-was-ireland-like-during-liam-cosgrave-s-time-1.3245325

You can say there's no factual evidence 'Biffo' exists, but I can point to Brian Cowan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,237 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You misused the term. He was populist by definition and your summation. Populism isn't going with the popular flow, only if the popular flow is liberal.
    I'm afraid this is wrong. Populism is a political position which seeks to represent and support the views of ordinary people, regardless of whether those views are liberal or conservative, progressive or regressive, and (the controversial bit) well-though-out or ill-informed and unwise. The point about populism is that it treats the views, wishes, etc of "ordinary people" as authoritative in themselves, regardless of how good or bad they may be when judged against other criteria. Thus a populist will advocate for the popular policy regardless of whether it will produce a good outcome.

Trump, for example, is a populist.

A populist defence of Brexit would be to point out that it has been mandated by referendum, as though this point somehow defuses or answers objections made to its wisdom or practicality.

I wouldn't have said that Cosgrave, or the FG tradition which he emerged from, was particularly populist; if anything, the opposite. His position on security matters (which, for the record, I dislike) may have been popular at the time but, honestly, I don't think he adopted it for populist reasons; he adopted it because he thought it was the right and effective thing to do.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is wrong. Populism is a political position which seeks to represent and support the views of ordinary people, regardless of whether those views are liberal or conservative, progressive or regressive, and (the controversial bit) well-though-out or ill-informed and unwise. The point about populism is that it treats the views, wishes, etc of "ordinary people" as authoritative in themselves, regardless of how good or bad they may be when judged against other criteria. Thus a populist will advocate for the popular policy regardless of whether it will produce a good outcome.

A populist defence of Brexit would be to point out that it has been mandated by referendum, as though this point somehow defuses or answers objections made to its wisdom or practicality.

I wouldn't have said that Cosgrave, or the FG tradition which he emerged from, was particularly populist; if anything, the opposite. His position on security matters (which, for the record, I dislike) may have been popular at the time but, honestly, I don't think he adopted it for populist reasons; he adopted it because he thought it was the right and effective thing to do.

I agree that Cosgrave couldn't be seen as a populist. You can generally spot populists by their willingness to jump on bandwagons or change horses mid-stream.

In recent history, the antics of both FF and SF on the water charges issue can be classified as pure populism.

Listen to him wind up delegates and I can hear a 'populist' in action. Rabble rouser would also fit the bill.

Agreed.

Possibly. However the contention was Cosgrave stuck to his catholic conservative guns in the face of a tide of catholic conservatism. And politicians of today are populist, going with the popular tide.
    It's a hard one to prove. We only know Cosgrave did what was popular at the time. For what ever reasoning, he was not a man who had any reason to fight his catholic conservative corner going by the posters summation of the time.

This makes a good example. You can be for all intents and purposes, populist and stick to genuine convictions.
    There is a degree of populism in all politics. Those accused of it by the most these days, tend to garner the least public support. Which is a contradiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,237 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Obviously, one of the characteristics of democracy is that it tends to incentivise and reward (and therefore promote) populism. Whether that's a desireable or an undesireable feature depends on whether you're a populist yourself, I guess.

But it's certainly a feature, and this has long been recognised. One of the reasons for having a parliamentary democracy, in which the executive is accountable not directly to the people but to a parliament of professional politicians, or for having a strict separation of powers, in including a strong role for an unelected supreme court, or a difficult-to-amend Constitution with strongly entrenched rights and limits on the power of the state, is precisely to provide a check to unrestrained populism.

As to whether Cosgrave, or any particular politician, is a "populist", I don't think it's enough to show that he adopted political positions which were popular. As noted, all politicians do that to some extent in a democracy. Plus, the fact that a politician adopted a position which was popular isn't enough, in itself, to show that he adopted it because it was popular, which I think is what "populist" implies. I think to justify labelling a politician as a populist, you have to point to a pattern of him abandoning positions which prove to be unpopular, and becoming an enthusiastic proponent of the opposing positions. To label his stance on a particular matter a populist stance, I think you need some reason to think that he had adopted it, against his better judgment, because it was popular.

You could fairly clearly make that argument in relation to May and Brexit, for example. But Cosgrave and contraception? I think he genuinely was a socially conservative Catholic on matters of sexual morality from his earliest youth to his dying day. I might not agree with his stance, but I don't think he adopted it on the basis of a cynical assessment of its popularity at the time.

Advertisement