Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Surprised the Tom Humphries lads aren't in here feeling sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

That’s so weird. As if she didn’t know already!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cant help the feeling of schadenfeude over sanctimonious pr1cks like Affleck

https://twitter.com/JustJared/status/917949351804018690

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

_Dara_ wrote: »
    That’s so weird. As if she didn’t know already!
    Of course she knew D, but that bandwagon is rolling and she has to get on board before it rolls outa town. Just like all the other self promotion machines that are getting on board now after they saw which way the wind was blowing.

The original women who came out with this the McGowans and Judds are the ones with the spine, the rest, the Streeps, Kidmans, et al took their sweet time to be "appalled". And many of them were it seems only to happy to ignore apparently widespread rumours over decades to suck at his teat for their careers and pet political and charity funding. And you can be sure that a few of them are lying through their capped teeth about how much they know. Rose McGowan has publicly called out Ben Affleck for lying about his level of knowledge about Weinstein's behaviour.

Wonder where Quentin Tarantino is in all this? Remarkably silent. Ditto for others who made bank with oul Harvey.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I meant exploitation in Hollywood isn’t a gender issue. Read the accounts by Elijah Wood and Corey Feldman. Exploitation is rife in Hollywood and women aren’t the only victims. That was my point.

Victim-blaming? Give me strength. I wasn’t just talking about Harvey Weinstein, it was clearly a more general comment.

I’ve been defending women against Weinstein in this thread. Wind your neck in.

wind your neck in? no, I wouldn't wind my neck in.
    I meant exploitation in Hollywood isn’t a gender issue. Read the accounts by Elijah Wood and Corey Feldman. Exploitation is rife in Hollywood and women aren’t the only victims. That was my point.

I knew you'll come up with the child abuse being what you meant with your 'don't see a gender issue here'. To use this as a proof there's no gender issue is just again, completely wrong. The child abuse in Hollywood is another, (even worse) scandal, not a validation there's no gender issue.

And what about my elementary question I ask, no answer from you, so I ask again: if this is not a gender issue, how you say, tell me about the men, the adult men, who were abused from people in power in Hollywood???
    Victim-blaming? Give me strength. I wasn’t just talking about Harvey Weinstein, it was clearly a more general comment.

and what makes that for a difference whether you just talked about H.W. or in general? it still was victim blaming. here's what you wrote:

Some people want fame that bad. Most people shudder at the thought of fame, in my experience, but there is a large enough minority out there who actively want it and that all contributes towards it being an exploitative industry.

I saw you made, as you said, different comments and defending women. But that post of yours was just completely wrong and you need to be called out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

tara73 wrote: »

I’ve been defending women against Weinstein in this thread. Wind your neck in.

I knew you'll come up with the child abuse being what you meant with your 'don't see a gender issue here'. To use this as a proof there's no gender issue is just again, completely wrong. The child abuse in Hollywood is another, (even worse) scandal, not a validation there's no gender issue.

And what about my elementary question I ask, no answer from you, so I ask again: if this is not a gender issue, how you say, tell me about the men, the adult men, who were abused from people in power in Hollywood???

and what makes that for a difference whether you just talked about H.W. or in general? it still was victim blaming. here's what you wrote:

Some people want fame that bad. Most people shudder at the thought of fame, in my experience, but there is a large enough minority out there who actively want it and that all contributes towards it being an exploitative industry.

I saw you made, as you said, different comments and defending women. But that post of yours was just completely wrong and you need to be called out on it.

I think you spelled "opinion different from money incorrectly there. It came out as "wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

silverharp wrote: »
    cant help the feeling of schadenfeude over sanctimonious pr1cks like Affleck

https://twitter.com/JustJared/status/917949351804018690

Seems it runs in the family....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Ipso wrote: »
    In Mario Puzo's novel The Godfather, he painted a pretty grim picture of Hollywood in a few short pieces. the Hollywood exec with the mother and daughter awaiting an "appointment", the Oscars after party.
    Given the role of Johnny Fontane was supposed to be based on Frank Sinatra, I wonder if he drew inspiration from anywhere else.

One of the deleted scenes shows Tom Hagen leaving the Producer's mansion after failing to convince him to cast 'Frank Sinatra' in 'From Here to Eternity ;)'. Before he leaves he see's a young starlet on the stair case landing crying with torn clothes with her mother consoling her. It is implied to the audience that she had been raped earlier by Woltz.

Hagen reports this back to Corleone who says it makes Woltz, a pedophile in the novel, fair game so to speak.

Now that was a film made 45 years ago about the fictional events from circa 25 years earlier.

The abuse of victims by those with power, influence and protection has been around for a very long time. None of this should be surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

anna080 wrote: »
    Jessica Chastain seems to be the one who has any balls. She said everyone knew what was going on and that there's a culture of abuse in Hollywood.

On second thoughts though it's not very ballsy to speak out only when it's financially safe for you to do so.

Kate Winslet was the first to make a statement of somewhat decency, which was also acknowledged by Chastain on Instagram.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

tara73 wrote: »

You seriously need to calm down.

It’s true that this industry attracts exploitative people because people are so desperate to be a part of it. That’s not victim-blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

silverharp wrote: »
    allegedly wasnt there something about Colin Farrell having to do the casting couch?

Do you mean Farrell is supposed to have had sex with a Hollywood executive to get a role?
    mikeysmith wrote: »
    George clooney has spoken on the matter and also claims he knew nothing of the rumours

Self-serving spin imo

Not exactly correct. He had heard talk that a certain actress had had sex with Weinstein to get a role and says he believed it was just nasty gossip to belittle her. He says hadn't heard about the rest of it.

It is entirely possible to be in a business and not know everything that is going on with everyone. I don't know if he did or didn't but it is possible.

Are you saying he must have known? In what way are his comments "self-serving spin"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭brevity

allym wrote: »
    Seems it runs in the family....

Yea, there are some nasty stories about Casey Affleck floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Do you mean Farrell is supposed to have had sex with a Hollywood executive to get a role?

Ive seen it referenced to an alleged "casting couch" situation, someone above mentioned another actor so may not have been a producer, dunno in fairness

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I dunno about the rest of ye but I'm in the weird position of hoping that an actor I like or admire won't be caught up in this and it's making me feel uneasy to say the least.

Would people be ok watching and liking movies with actors/directors/execs involved in this mess?

What I don't understand in these types of situations are why people who can speak out about a problem don't until the story gets out.

A few of the actresses who say Weinstein behaved liked this are seem to me to be in position where they could have this to the public eye sooner.

Jolie and Paltrow are surely secure enough in their careers that they could spoken about this years ago. Why sit back and allow him to do it to other women? Even though Chastain is a relative newcomer she is in demand enough that she doesn't to rely on one movie studio.

Or was Weinstein simply that powerful that they felt it was a battle they couldn't win?

I can't pretend to imagine what it is like to be in a situation like these women have been because of Weinstein or what it is like to deal with a person like him but likewise I don't understand keeping silent.

brevity wrote: »

I wonder if it was just a joke or did McFarlane know something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Asia Argento admitted to carrying on an affair with Weinstein for 5 years after the first time he assaulted her.

The mind boggles.

The casting couch is alive and well in Hollywood. It says a lot about the sleazy nature of the place that someone like Weinstein wasn't called out years or decades ago.

Who knows really. I'd wager he had dirt on them.

• Advertisement

Oh he knew. They all "knew"

A lot of plausible deniability imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I dunno about the rest of ye but I'm in the weird position of hoping that an actor I like or admire won't be caught up in this and it's making me feel uneasy to say the least.

Would people be ok watching and liking movies with actors/directors/execs involved in this mess?

You wouldn't watch a movie again ever if you worried about that sort of thing.

Tbh i'm finding it very surprising anyone is taken aback by this. Hollywood is a complete sewer, this stuff is par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What I don't understand in these types of situations are why people who can speak out about a problem don't until the story gets out.

A few of the actresses who say Weinstein behaved liked this are seem to me to be in position where they could have this to the public eye sooner.

Jolie and Paltrow are surely secure enough in their careers that they could spoken about this years ago. Why sit back and allow him to do it to other women? Even though Chastain is a relative newcomer she is in demand enough that she doesn't to rely on one movie studio.

Or was Weinstein simply that powerful that they felt it was a battle they couldn't win?

I can't pretend to imagine what it is like to be in a situation like these women have been because of Weinstein or what it is like to deal with a person like him but likewise I don't understand keeping silent.

Fear of legal reprecussions for a start. Even speaking out now opens them up to possible legal action because the majority of them (even Jolie and Paltrow) likely have no proof of what happened, bar what they told others about it happening at the time. But since so many have now come forward with the same basic story it demonstrates a clear pattern of behaviour for Weinstein which is itself a type of proof and one that Weinstein is unlikely to challenge or sue them for.

Fear of harming their careers, both at the time and even for several years after. Harvey had a lot of friends both in the industry and in the media. There's word that some of the women who complained about Harvey at the time suddenly ended up with negative media stories coming out about them.

Fear of victim blaming. Shame for putting themselves in a position where that could happen to them. Fear of not being believed.

Most of the women who have come forward have also given their reasons for staying silent, and most feel regret that they did stay silent.

anna080 wrote: »
    Jessica Chastain seems to be the one who has any balls. She said everyone knew what was going on and that there's a culture of abuse in Hollywood.

On second thoughts though it's not very ballsy to speak out only when it's financially safe for you to do so.

she has come out to defend Matt damon

http://www.justjared.com/2017/10/11/jessica-chastain-defends-matt-damon-amid-weinstein-controversy/

How do you mean "caught up"?

Are you thinking that Weinstein might be part of group?

Seems like just the standard "gross old guy" situation.

I don't think it would change any opinion about a film because I don't look on executives as being part of the creative process. Hard to say about a director or actor because there has only been one whose work I enjoy who has fallen from grace. Bill Cosby has apparently done very bad things but the stuff from his stand up is still funny. Roman Polanski is not a nice person but I never liked any of his movies before I heard about him off screen anyway.

Penn wrote: »
    Fear of legal reprecussions for a start. Even speaking out now opens them up to possible legal action because the majority of them (even Jolie and Paltrow) likely have no proof of what happened, bar what they told others about it happening at the time. But since so many have now come forward with the same basic story it demonstrates a clear pattern of behaviour for Weinstein which is itself a type of proof and one that Weinstein is unlikely to challenge or sue them for.

Fear of harming their careers, both at the time and even for several years after. Harvey had a lot of friends both in the industry and in the media. There's word that some of the women who complained about Harvey at the time suddenly ended up with negative media stories coming out about them.

Fear of victim blaming. Shame for putting themselves in a position where that could happen to them. Fear of not being believed.

Most of the women who have come forward have also given their reasons for staying silent, and most feel regret that they did stay silent.

Okay, I haven't seen that so clearly I've not been reading from the sources. I'll look into better knowing the explanations are out there.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are you saying he must have known? In what way are his comments "self-serving spin"?
    He may be genuine, he may be not, but his and other "stars" very career depends a lot on self serving PR. I also find it extremely dubious he didn't know more. His close friend in the biz Brad Pitt went after Harvey when he made a play for his then girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow(Harvey also made a play for another GF of his, Jolie). Weinstein gave Clooney his first real film roles and they hung out a lot and he would have known many of the women players in this play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Lindsay Lohan is on social media defending Weinstein.

She worked with him and he never did anything to her.

I'm sure he knew as did a **** ton of people. Without meaning to go off topic it was the same in Ireland a few decades back. Everyone knew what was going on but if you said anything about it you were ****ed.

Maybe not quite everyone. :P

• Advertisement

Lindsay Lohan is on social media defending Weinstein.

She worked with him and he never did anything to her.

Christ, there's an alibi.

Advertisement