Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to the team for Ireland's first satellite, EIRSAT-1

Options
  • 04-10-2017 9:20am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We're very excited to have this AMA to celebrate Space Week!

Students, academics and industry mentors at University College Dublin (UCD) and Queen’s University Belfast (QUB) are currently designing Ireland’s very first satellite, EIRSAT-1. The Educational Irish Research Satellite 1 was chosen as part of the Fly Your Satellite! program in May 2017 as one of 6 student led teams to take part in the program. This satellite is a 2U CubeSat, which is a type of small research satellite.

EIRSAT-1 will carry two experiments demonstrating innovative Irish technology.

The first payload is called GMOD, the Gamma-ray Module. This is a Gamma-Ray detector, and it will be used to detect Gamma-Ray Bursts, the most energetic explosions in the Universe.

The second EIRSAT-1 payload is EMOD, the ENBIO Module. This experiment tests thermal coatings developed by Irish company ENBIO Ltd., for use on future missions.

As a student-led mission, UCD and QUB space science and engineering students have the opportunity to develop sought-after skills in the Irish space industry. The team have to meet strict review deadlines and milestones in order to progress in the Fly Your Satellite! program. They are currently in the Critical Design Review phase and are working hard to ensure that the mission gets accepted for launch from the International Space Station in the coming years, subject to strict reviews from ESA experts.

Lána Salmon is a PhD student in the UCD Space Science Group and Outreach manager for EIRSAT-1 and Lána will be the opne answering your questions here this week.

You can follow their journey on their website www.eirsat1.wordpress.com and Twitter @EIRSAT1.

Let's blast off with some great questions! (Sorry :p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Which university departments/faculties are getting involved?
    I presume astrophysics, mechanical, computer, electrical etc.?

Where is the technology being built? Like the physical gamma ray detector etc.?

When is launch date and is it from French Guyana?

Good luck!

• Company Representative Posts: 28 Verified rep EIRSAT-1 Team

enda1 wrote: »

Good luck!

Hi Enda,

Thanks so much for your question! Students in University College Dublin and Queens University Belfast are working on this mission. We have astrophysics students from the UCD Space Science Group, Masters students from the UCD MSc Space Science and Technology course also work on the project as part of their 30 credit thesis.

There are also UCD Engineering postgraduate students from the Attitude Control group working on the Attitude Determination and Control Systems, which is how the satellites movement is controlled and monitored.

In Queens there are mechanical and thermal engineers working on CAD models and simulations of the satellite. We hope to have more computer science students to help us with software in the future.

An earlier version Gamma ray detector has been developed in the UCD Space Science and Advanced Materials lab in UCD. We hope to rely on our own facilities where possible, with support from companies like ENBIO Ltd., Resonate Ltd.,
    Sensl Ltd and many more.

Subject to meeting the reviews and requirements of the Fly Your Satellite programme, EIRSAT-1 will be launched in 2019/2020 from either SpaceX Dragon (Kennedy), Orbital ATK Cygnus (Wallops), or JAXA HTV (Yoshinobu) to the International Space Station. From there it will be deployed at low earth orbit.

Thanks for your questions!

enda1 wrote: »
    Yes, we have a great diverse team, mechanical engineers, electronics engineers, astrophysicists, detector physicists, software engineers, mathematicians, aerospace engineers, space scientists etc. UCD is the lead university, with Queens university Belfast as partner. We've had students from UCD, QUB, TCD and La Mancha in Spain, working on the project so far...

The gamma-ray detector is being built in UCD Space Science group, in the School of Physics.
    The EnBio module is being built in EnBio and in UCD School of Mechanical & Materials engineering. They are all being built by students.

We don't have a launch date yet, possibly late 2019/early 2020. The satellite will go up to the ISS and be 'released' into space from there.

Good luck!
    Thanks Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Haughey Was Framed

Sounds amazing! So many questions!

How long will the satellite be in orbit for?
    How is it powered?
    You mentioned it's being launched from the ISS - how does that work? Is someone throwing it out a window? :)

Sounds amazing! So many questions!

How long will the satellite be in orbit for?
    How is it powered?
    You mentioned it's being launched from the ISS - how does that work? Is someone throwing it out a window? :)

Good questions!

The satellite will be in orbit for about a year. We've done simulations that vary from about 9 months to possibly up to 2 years. Why so uncertain? At the relatively low altitude of 400km, there's still enough atmosphere to cause a significant aerodynamic drag which slows the spacecraft down and eventually causes it to de-orbit. The amount of drag is dependent on solar activity amongst other things so it can be difficult to say for sure. We make a best estimate based on the past solar activity during a similar phase in the solar cycle.

The satellite will be powered by solar panels. It will have solar panels covering the 4 larger sides. It's a lot easier on such a small satellite to have panels that sometimes face away from the Sun than it is to include the necessary systems to make sure the panels point straight at the Sun. The satellite will also have a battery so it can remain fully operational when it is eclipsed by the Earth.

The launch from the ISS is about as close as you can get to throwing it out the window in space. It will be loaded into a CubeSat deployer with a number of other satellites. The deployer is basically a tube with a big spring at the bottom and a remote controlled lid. So it's kind of like a Jack-in-the-box or even a Pez dispenser. The Japanese module on the ISS (Kibo) has a small airlock for experiments. The deployer will be taken outside through the Kibo airlock and a robotic arm will pick it up and point it away from the station and then the lid will open and all the satellites will be "launched". We need to include some very small springs in the end of EIRSAT-1 to push it away from the other satellites that it will be launched with.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Wow, that's incredible! Thanks :)

Best of luck with the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

No questions at the moment just wanted to say congrats, also good day to start the AMA 60 years to the day since Sputnik 1 was launched

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How much will the project cost and where do you get funding for something like this?

How many points did you get in your leaving?

Do you like watching sci-fi movies/programmes?

If yes, which is your favourite? Also, do you shout at the telly when they suggest doing something you know is not physically possible?

Good luck to you and your team, hope it’s a great success!!! :)

How much will the project cost and where do you get funding for something like this?
    Hi there!

We estimate the cost of the mission to be about €1.5M over 3 years - this will be spent on supporting studentships, internships and of course materials and much more.

How many points did you get in your leaving?
    The EIRSAT-1 team members have achieved a wide range of points in the Leaving Cert. Here are two team members backgrounds:

David Murphy, System Engineer -455, but that was before bonus maths points.
    Lána: I got 560 points in 2013 - lucky enough to get into the UCD Science undergraduate course! Whilst most people think that you need to be a genius to be in astrophysics, I think our team represents a wide range of abilities and we all work to our own strengths.

Do you like watching sci-fi movies/programmes?
    Yes, we love Sci-fi - doesn't everyone? The EIRSAT-1 team are serious sci-fi movie/programme fans.

If yes, which is your favourite?
    David Murphy: Wow, that is very difficult to answer! There’s so many good ones! I’m just going to have to post a list of some of the ones that I love. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Moon, Gattaca, The Fifth Element, Sunshine, Blade Runner, The Martian, Interstellar. I could go on for a lot longer. On TV, I really enjoyed The Expanse, though it’s not as good as the books. I appreciate how they always go to a good effort to get the physics right.
    Lána Salmon: I'll have to agree with David, and add the new Star Trek movies! Although it's not really sci-fi, BBC documentaries like Wonders of the Solar System were my gateway into physics.

Also, do you shout at the telly when they suggest doing something you know is not physically possible?
    David Murphy: Yep, I’m very guilty of this. Though I have learned lately to try and leave it go, you can enjoy it a lot more that way. Sometimes they have to introduce one big inaccurate concept to make the story work - that’s what makes it fiction, right? But it still really annoys me when there was an easy way to get the science right without effecting the story.
    Lána : I think physicists/engineers love talking about whether what happens in a movie/tv programme is physically possible. Don't get us started about Interstellar!

Good luck to you and your team, hope it’s a great success!!! :)
    Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

any pictures of renders or anything so far so we can see what it looks like?

how are you going to be communicating with it, is it 1 way or 2 way communication and what kind of security is there for accessing the information gathered by the satellite? Is there a constant stream of data or is a period of time sent in bursts?

How much power does it consume, and is it powered by solar panels or a nuclear battery? and do you have any way of moving it in case it was going to crash into something else?

how many years will it stay up there and is there any way to get rid of it when you are done with it?

sorry for all the questions feel free to give short answers or skip any of them so you don't have to spend ages answering just me

• Advertisement

any pictures of renders or anything so far so we can see what it looks like?

We don't have any photo-realistic renders yet, but hopefully this gives you some idea. To give you a sense of scale, it's 22.7cm tall! The antennae that you see sticking out at the bottom will be stowed for launch and we'll deploy them 30 mins after leaving the space station.

429672.png
    how are you going to be communicating with it, is it 1 way or 2 way communication and what kind of security is there for accessing the information gathered by the satellite? Is there a constant stream of data or is a period of time sent in bursts?

We're hoping to communicate using amateur radio. We don't have a frequency allocation yet, but the Irish Radio Transmitters Society and the International Amateur Radio Union as well as ComReg have been very helpful to us so far. It's two-way, we'll use 9600bps downlink on UHF and 1200bps uplink on VHF. That's not a very fast connection! And to make matters worse, it will only be in range of our ground-station at UCD for an average of 6.5 minutes per day! So we have think really hard about what data we want to get down to the ground. In terms of security, it's not allowed to encrypt broadcasts on the amateur band except for satellite control commands. So all the data coming down will be wide open for anyone with the equipment to listen and we definitely encourage that! But we can prevent other people from controlling the spacecraft.
    How much power does it consume, and is it powered by solar panels or a nuclear battery? and do you have any way of moving it in case it was going to crash into something else?

It has a bunch of solar panels that you can see as the blue sections on the picture. You wouldn't believe the hoops that need to be jumped through to certify a lithium battery as safe enough to be allowed onto the space station, so anything nuclear would be right out! The spacecraft runs off 2 watts on average, more when we're transmitting but we spend most of the time not transmitting. Because of power conversion efficiencies and the time we spend in the Earth's shadow, we need to be generating an average of 3.7 watts when we're in sunlight.

We have attitude control but no orbital control. So we can control where it points but not where it goes. So basically, we can't prevent it from hitting anything, but that's really unlikely anyway.
    how many years will it stay up there and is there any way to get rid of it when you are done with it?

About a year. See the response to 'Haughey Was Framed' above for why we say about.
    sorry for all the questions feel free to give short answers or skip any of them so you don't have to spend ages answering just me

No problem! We're very happy to talk about all things EIRSAT-1! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Trying to the understand how "Attitude" (A typo for Altitude?) and Orbital control influences the retrieval of the device. Are there tiny rockets on the satellite that is not shown in the diagram?

What about plans for the retrieval of the device at the end of the experiment or is it doomed to forever float in orbit?

Do the satellites have a pet name? Like Fifi or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

[...]No problem! We're very happy to talk about all things EIRSAT-1! Thanks!

Great answers thank you :)

Trying to the understand how "Attitude" (A typo for Altitude?) and Orbital control influences the retrieval of the device. Are there tiny rockets on the satellite that is not shown in the diagram?

What about plans for the retrieval of the device at the end of the experiment or is it doomed to forever float in orbit?

Do the satellites have a pet name? Like Fifi or something.

Sorry, I wasn't that clear! Attitude refers to the direction that a satellite points in. We have no ability to control where it goes - the last time any human will have any influence over EIRSAT-1's trajectory is when it's shot out of the deployer on the ISS. After that we're at the mercy of atmospheric drag.

So we won't be able to retrieve it afterwards. All the data we'll ever get from it will be sent over the radio link. But it also won't float endlessly in space. At some point around about a year (hopefully longer) after launching, it'll burn up in the atmosphere! That will be a very sad day for us.

It doesn't have a pet name.. yet! I don't want to force it. I'd like to think that once we start assembling it and testing it, that its quirks will lead us to a natural pet name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Sorry, I wasn't that clear! Attitude refers to the direction that a satellite points in. We have no ability to control where it goes - the last time any human will have any influence over EIRSAT-1's trajectory is when it's shot out of the deployer on the ISS. After that we're at the mercy of atmospheric drag.

So we won't be able to retrieve it afterwards. All the data we'll ever get from it will be sent over the radio link. But it also won't float endlessly in space. At some point around about a year (hopefully longer) after launching, it'll burn up in the atmosphere! That will be a very sad day for us.

It doesn't have a pet name.. yet! I don't want to force it. I'd like to think that once we start assembling it and testing it, that its quirks will lead us to a natural pet name.

I'm not sure that mother-f*cking piece of $hit is a suitable name for a satellite though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Great thread and great project! Lots of questions...

Is attitude control just to keep the sat from spinning endlessly or it is required to point the instruments in particular directions?

Is it a gyro within?

Can we get a bit of technical detail on the internals, such as the computers controlling the Sat? Are they linux based etc. Does they have to be hardened/shielded for cosmic rays/ solar flares etc? Or have you stuck a few Raspberry Pis together in a box :) ?

How did you go about designing the Sat? Have you had a few prototypes built already? How do you test for how it will perform in Zero-G and a vacuum?

What is the most difficult aspect of the design/build (I imagine weight) ? What is the design brief/specifications that you have to meet? Weight, performance etc...

Nate

Great thread and great project! Lots of questions...

Is attitude control just to keep the sat from spinning endlessly or it is required to point the instruments in particular directions?

Is it a gyro within?

We're actually going to spin the spacecraft around the long axis on purpose to help stabilise it, but you're right in that what we're trying to avoid is 'tumbling' where the spin is a bit unpredictable.

It's a bit of a balancing act to keep the different subsystems happy in terms of where the spacecraft should point. The Gamma-ray module (GMOD) is at +Z end of the spacecraft (the top in the picture I posted a while ago). That makes this end of the spacecraft the most sensitive to gamma-rays. It can also detect gamma-rays that come through the other end, it's just not as sensitive because some of them get absorbed. Since the gamma-rays (at least the ones we're most interested in) come from space, it makes sense to have the top pointed away from Earth at all times. We call that zenith pointing.

The Enbio module (EMOD) wants to heat up samples using the Sun to see how hot they get and how fast they cool when we go into the Earth's shadow. So for EMOD pointing directly at the Sun is best. But there's a problem there, if we point the top at the Sun, the solar panels which are on the side never see the Sun. It turns out that a good compromise between both EMOD and the solar panels getting the Sun they want is to do zenith pointing and that's great for GMOD. So that's what we're trying to do with the attitude control.

We debated using gyros, but in the end we kept coming back to our first idea which is magnetorquers. These are basically electromagnets and when they're energised they can provide a torque against the Earth's magnetic field causing the spacecraft to rotate.
    Can we get a bit of technical detail on the internals, such as the computers controlling the Sat? Are they linux based etc. Does they have to be hardened/shielded for cosmic rays/ solar flares etc? Or have you stuck a few Raspberry Pis together in a box :) ?

Sure! :)

We're building a lot of the stuff ourselves - all the electronics and detector assemblies for GMOD and EMOD, the antennae and its deployment system, the structure and all the activation and separation stuff that goes along with that. But we are buying some of the systems off the shelf, such as the Onboard Computer (OBC).

The OBC is supplied by a Scottish company called Clyde Space who specialise in CubeSats. It uses a MicroSemi Smart Fusion 2 System on Chip (SoC). The SoC provides a real CPU and an FPGA which is also used to synthesise another CPU, but the main purpose of the FPGA fabric is to synthesise all the various different hardware interfaces we need. Those are nothing exotic, they're what you might find on a Raspberry Pi (i2c, SPI, TTL UART, etc.), we just need a lot of them. The Smart Fusion 2 was chosen because it's fairly radiation tolerant. It's also got magnetoresistive RAM which is non-volatile and radiation immune, Error Detecting and Correcting storage and other stuff like a hardware watchdog. So basically, a lot of protections against radiation.

We did explore rolling our own using a Raspberry Pi compute module with a radiation-hardened micro-controller to act as a controller/bootloader. But the Clyde Space OBC seemed like the safer option for our first satellite.

The OBC will run a RealTime Operating System. I think it has a custom kernel, so technically not Linux, but not entirely different.
    How did you go about designing the Sat? Have you had a few prototypes built already? How do you test for how it will perform in Zero-G and a vacuum?

We knew it would have to be a CubeSat to stand any chance of us being able to procure a launch for it.

We basically started by asking ourselves "Okay, so what's it going to do?" The obvious thing to us, since we've been working on new types of gamma-ray detectors for ESA for a few years now, is that it should detect gamma-rays. Specifically, it should detect Gamma-Ray Bursts (GRBs) since that's a topic that we're really interested in as astrophysicists. Then we tried to figure out how small we could make our gamma-ray detector based on the previous prototype detectors that we'd built and some new technology that we knew was coming down the line.

CubeSats come in a fixed number of configurations - usually 1U, 1.5U, 2U, 3U, 6U and sometimes bigger, where a U is the base unit which has a size of 10cm x 10cm x 11.35cm and a mass of 1.33kg. Our detector takes up about half a U in volume so a 2U CubeSat made sense once we factored in the other systems that would have to be onboard.

We also approached Enbio about turning their thermal management coatings into a student experiment since we have a good relationship with them and we thought it could be done without taking up too much space on the satellite.

That's basically how we arrived at the general idea and the basic design. After that it was a lot of iterating over a whole bunch of different requirements and tradeoffs, and seeing what systems were available to us.

As you've probably guessed, we can't really test in zero-g. For tests of the attitude control, we can place the spacecraft on very low-friction bearings and make sure that the spacecraft can turn. Unfortunately that's only one axis at a time, but it's enough to make sure that the actuators work. Vacuum is a lot easier, and we won't just test vacuum, we'll also test temperature extremes. That's done using a thermal-vac chamber that can expose the spacecraft to vacuum and heat it up or cool it down. We'll test going from hot to cold to hot to cold very quickly to make sure EIRSAT-1 can withstand it. We'll also shake the crap out of it to simulate launch and make sure it doesn't fall apart.

What is the most difficult aspect of the design/build (I imagine weight) ? What is the design brief/specifications that you have to meet? Weight, performance etc...

Nate

The main design brief/specification that we have to conform to is the CubeSat Design Specification published by California Polytechnic. ESA have actually given us a custom specification, but I can't share that and it doesn't diverge too much from the one I linked. Weight turned out to not be too much of a problem. The CubeSat spec is well thought out so when you design something to fit in say 2U like EIRSAT-1, it ends up being around about the correct weight. So we didn't struggle with that at all.

The most difficult aspect was trying to balance attitude control, power generation, and mission lifetime. We wanted good attitude control because we wanted to be able to accurately point the spacecraft to make it the most sensitive to gamma-rays and to accurately know where EMOD was facing and how much solar energy it was receiving. That implies we should use reaction wheels (gyros) which are better than magnetorquers, but reaction wheels are very power hungry, we'd need maybe an additional 3 watts of power. We couldn't generate enough power for the spacecraft using the solar panels we had so we'd have to add more and they'd have to be deployable because there was no space left on the surface of the spacecraft. Deployables are risky so you always want to avoid them if possible and they increase the surface area of the spacecraft which increases drag which causes de-orbit to happen much sooner, completely killing your mission lifetime.

In the end it took a lot of going back to the drawing board, running a lot of simulations, and getting some good numbers on what sort of performance hits the instruments could take (by not having the absolute optimal attitude) in order to end up with a feasible mission.

Thanks for the questions!

-David

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The OBC is supplied by a Scottish company called Clyde Space who specialise in CubeSats. It uses a MicroSemi Smart Fusion 2 System on Chip (SoC). The SoC provides a real CPU and an FPGA which is also used to synthesise another CPU, but the main purpose of the FPGA fabric is to synthesise all the various different hardware interfaces we need. Those are nothing exotic, they're what you might find on a Raspberry Pi (i2c, SPI, TTL UART, etc.), we just need a lot of them. The Smart Fusion 2 was chosen because it's fairly radiation tolerant. It's also got magnetoresistive RAM which is non-volatile and radiation immune, Error Detecting and Correcting storage and other stuff like a hardware watchdog. So basically, a lot of protections against radiation.

I work for Microsemi and use the SmartFusion2 every day so I'm getting a massive kick out of reading this! We interact with it's designers occasionally and they'd be delighted to hear about a specific Irish space application. I'll definitely be following this with great interest.

Just wondering how you got started with this process at all, did your existing work with the ESA help get a foot in the door or did you have to start at the same point in the application process as everyone else? Will they accept slideware for the idea or do you need to have a working prototype of your proposed scientific instrumentation? How easy was it you get the Universities on board? I presume they have to commit to supporting the project until the expected lifetime of the sat before the ESA will even talk to you.

How far along are you in the Critical Design Review stage, can you speak about what some of the deliverables are before you can be confident you'll be accepted for launch?

Will there be many redundant systems on board or do space and power constraints remove that possibility? If one subsystem stopped working in the harsh conditions of space would there be any hope of salvage? Of course it depends on the system.

Thanks for doing this AMA!

TheChizler wrote: »
    I work for Microsemi and use the SmartFusion2 every day so I'm getting a massive kick out of reading this! We interact with it's designers occasionally and they'd be delighted to hear about a specific Irish space application. I'll definitely be following this with great interest.

That's cool!
    Just wondering how you got started with this process at all, did your existing work with the ESA help get a foot in the door or did you have to start at the same point in the application process as everyone else?
    We were the same boat as the all the other teams and applied to the Fly Your Satellite! Program with a detailed proposal back in March. Our previous work with ESA didn't give us any foot in the door, or any special treatment - the ESA experts and the Fly Your Satellite team told us they were impressed with the educational nature of the mission and the cross-border collaboration between the Universities.

We were lucky to be one of the teams chosen to attend the Selection Workshop in the ESA European Space Research and Technology Centre, where the team were grilled by ESA experts and took part in training workshops. From this workshop, 6 teams (including EIRSAT-1) were chosen to take part in the program. Ireland has strong links with ESA already but we hope to strengthen those links further!
    Will they accept slideware for the idea or do you need to have a working prototype of your proposed scientific instrumentation?
    Good question - the Fly Your Satellite! proposal described both the past work of the team but also outlined the designs for payloads which we had not built prototypes for. UCD and QUB are very experienced in CubeSat development, so I think the FYS team could see our experience. We have had more experience with some subsystems before - for example Gamma-ray detectors have been designed, built and tested in the UCD Space Science and Advanced materials lab previously. These detectors are similar to what is proposed for GMOD, the Gamma-ray module on board EIRSAT-1.

The proposal defined the designs and capabilities of the team. Now in CDR, we have to prove that these designs make sense - why did we choose one component over another? Have we tested any prototypes and what were the results? If there is no prototype yet, how will we go about building and testing them, and what is the timeline for all of these activities?
    How easy was it you get the Universities on board? I presume they have to commit to supporting the project until the expected lifetime of the sat before the ESA will even talk to you.
    The universities are hugely supportive of the project, as it connects our activities in space-related research and teaching very strongly across Science and Engineering. We submitted a proposal in response to an open call from ESA for the 'Fly your Satellite' competition for university teams to build and launch a Cubesat. We didn't really expect to be selected! UCD will now sign up to an agreement with ESA, that will set out the ground rules regarding IP, adherence to ESA processes etc. While UCD and QUB are providing some support in the form of students and access to labs etc., the bulk of the funding is still being sought.
    How far along are you in the Critical Design Review stage, can you speak about what some of the deliverables are before you can be confident you'll be accepted for launch?
    So currently we have submitted version 1.0 of the CDR, which has been reviewed by the Fly Your Satellite team. We have received their feedback and currently have a week to implement their suggested changes/additions. Once version 1.1 gets sent to them, the CDR Data pack will be reviewed by ESA experts. The experts will issue Review Item Discrepancies (RIDs), which are suggested changes and additions. The team will then visit the ESA European Space Research and Technology Centre in December.

There are a number of subsequent reviews to pass through if we successfully pass through CDR in December. There are 4 phases - we are currently in the first stage, Design. The next stage is building the satellite, including prototypes. This includes Ambient and Environmental Test Campaigns, where prototypes of the satellite will be tested both in our own facilities and in facilities which better model the space environment. Each of these test campaigns are accompanied by documentation which will also be reviewed.

The next stages are Launching and Operating your satellite. There are the Flight Readiness and Flight Acceptance reviews. The teams are also monitored whilst the satellite is in orbit to ensure operations are going smoothly.
    Will there be many redundant systems on board or do space and power constraints remove that possibility? If one subsystem stopped working in the harsh conditions of space would there be any hope of salvage? Of course it depends on the system.
    As you can imagine, with dimensions 20cmx10cmx10cm, we are pretty tight for space! I think you're starting to think like an EIRSAT-1 team member - the 'ifs' of missions are really important, and we do have to put procedures in place as backups. As with any mission there are risks, but we keep a record of these risks and implement strategies to mitigate these risks throughout the mission.
    Thanks for doing this AMA!
    Thanks for all your questions!

We're loving the technical questions - but feel free to ask us anything, about the team's background, about the physics behind the different experiments, or even just about our favourite part of working on EIRSAT-1.

Keep the questions coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Will you get to see the rocket launch?

Where do you expect to work after leaving college?

What if something doesn't work, for example if the antenna doesn't deploy do you have redundant system the IIS could use to communicate with it?

Will you get to see the rocket launch?
    It would be nice to! I think it would be a proud moment, with the Irish flag flying!
    Where do you expect to work after leaving college?

The team have a wide variety of interests and backgrounds. This mission is an educational experience for all of the students working on it. For us, as students, working on a mission from design phase, to testing, to building and operating is an incredible experience that can shape our future careers. We hope that at the end of this mission there will be a cohort of students who are experienced in skills that can enhance Ireland's space industry - some of us will go into industry in the Irish space sector, which is growing hugely. Educational, hands-on projects like this mission will ensure that the Irish space industry continues to grow and that students with sought after skills can make a space career in Ireland.

As for myself (Lána) - I've just started my PhD, and who knows what could happen in 4 years! But I always saw myself continuing in research at an Agency like ESA or in a University lecturing. I'm enjoying seeing a mission take shape, so who knows where EIRSAT-1 will take me.
    What if something doesn't work, for example if the antenna doesn't deploy do you have redundant system the IIS could use to communicate with it?
    Good question - these kind of risks are dealt with on a daily basis by our team. To reduce risks with the antenna deployment, we have 2 main mitigating procedures - functional testing, which will ensure that we have the most efficient antenna possible, and back-ups. For example, in the case of our antenna, the antenna deploys when 'melt-lines' are heated by resistors. If these resistors fail, there are a second set of resistors.

As I said in a previous question, risk is a huge part of each mission and we are keeping track of the mitigation procedures to ensure a smooth mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

The first payload is called GMOD, the Gamma-ray Module. This is a Gamma-Ray detector, and it will be used to detect Gamma-Ray Bursts, the most energetic explosions in the Universe.

Do aliens use Gamma-Ray to transmit messages and are we alone in the universe?

Do aliens use Gamma-Ray to transmit messages

Yes.
    and are we alone in the universe?

I'm not allowed to tell you, but maybe you can infer something from my other answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

were you ever tempted to call the satelite Spudnik 1?

Congratulations all the same , its a great achievement

were you ever tempted to call the satelite Spudnik 1?
    This has been pointed out to us quite a bit - hindsight is 2020! But in all seriousness, EIRSAT-1 I think encapsulates the core objectives of the mission - the Educational Irish Research satellite (1).
    Congratulations all the same , its a great achievement
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks so much, we appreciate the support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

On Friday, 4 October 1957, the Soviets had orbited the world's first artificial satellite. Anyone who doubted its existence could walk into the backyard just after sunset and see it. — Mike Gray, Angle of Attack

I saw Sputnik, or my father or uncle told me that was what we saw.

How many satellites have been launched since then?
    How many circuits will the Irish satellite do, how many days/years will it be orbiting?
    Is there a central record of the research by all the satellites that were put up?
    Could we be researching something already researched?

Are there any traditions or customs you'll follow when you're launching your satellite?

Will you invent one of your own? :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How can the general public / interested bystanders get involved or follow the launch etc?

So many questions about this... its just so insanely complicated to tackle this I'm in awe!

• Advertisement

Are there any traditions or customs you'll follow when you're launching your satellite?
    Since this is Ireland's first satellite, I think we'll make our own traditions!
    Will you invent one of your own? :)
    Yes! Ideas welcome!

Advertisement