Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Active Heating etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

I was just reading the terms and conditions https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/docs/publications/Dual+Fuel+plus+Hive+Terms+and+Conditions+Final.pdf . There is only a €50 penalty for cancelling the 2 year contract with Bord Gais, and no mention of them taking back the Hive system.

I see the Bord Gais discounted rates drop after the first year of the contract. So you could in theory switch to another supplier after the first year and just pay Bord Gais €50?

The offer only comes with two zones (one heating and one water) and they charge €119 for additional zones. These only cost €90 on Amazon, can you buy additional zones yourself from Amazon and just add it to the system yourself after Bord Gais install? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hive-HAH2PMZ-Multizone/dp/B018E1SHQU/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Bought one of these off the Amazon warehouse. Installed it but couldn't get the hub to register. Rang hive and it's already linked to another account. Nothing they can they say. It's ****ing ridiculous and a scam they can't unlink an account. Have to uninstall it now and send it back.

I was just reading the terms and conditions https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/docs/publications/Dual+Fuel+plus+Hive+Terms+and+Conditions+Final.pdf . There is only a €50 penalty for cancelling the 2 year contract with Bord Gais, and no mention of them taking back the Hive system.

I see the Bord Gais discounted rates drop after the first year of the contract. So you could in theory switch to another supplier after the first year and just pay Bord Gais €50?

The offer only comes with two zones (one heating and one water) and they charge €119 for additional zones. These only cost €90 on Amazon, can you buy additional zones yourself from Amazon and just add it to the system yourself after Bord Gais install? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hive-HAH2PMZ-Multizone/dp/B018E1SHQU/

In case anyone else is interested, I heard back from Bord Gais:

* The customer owns the Hive equipment the minute it is installed.

* If the heating system has two zones then Bord Gais will only install a system with two zones i.e. you can't ask them to install a one zone system and add a second zone yourself afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

niallo27 wrote: »
    Bought one of these off the Amazon warehouse. Installed it but couldn't get the hub to register. Rang hive and it's already linked to another account. Nothing they can they say. It's ****ing ridiculous and a scam they can't unlink an account. Have to uninstall it now and send it back.

That's a killer, amazed they won't/can't unlink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

pm1977x wrote: »
    That's a killer, amazed they won't/can't unlink it.

Ya very frustrating. I don't understand what the problem is and why they can't do a factory reset like a Philips hub or an echo. They won't even ring the person that originally bought the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

Anyone heard of new deals for Hive etc with/out Boiler service?
    Usually this time of the year they come out with such deals for Hive/EPH and etc?

Looking for simple programmer replacement to allow me to switch on/off remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

tandcapply wrote: »
    Anyone heard of new deals for Hive etc with/out Boiler service?
    Usually this time of the year they come out with such deals for Hive/EPH and etc?

Looking for simple programmer replacement to allow me to switch on/off remotely.

I got the hive through amazon and self installed recently. Standard two channel for downstairs and hot water and single channel for upstairs. Cost £148 for both and well worth it.

oinkely wrote: »
    I got the hive through amazon and self installed recently. Standard two channel for downstairs and hot water and single channel for upstairs. Cost £148 for both and well worth it.

What does two channel downstairs mean?

Do most boiler have three options/zones ?
    1) Heat upstairs
    2) Heat downstairs
    3) Heat hot water

With this setup you need to buy an additional thermostat. So wondering how many zones you have as the base price on Amazon is £148 with only one thermostat included.

Do you have a link to the seller please?
    Cheapest I see for 178GBP without multizone:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hive-Active-Heating-Install-Amazon/dp/B011B3J6B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504643480&sr=8-1&keywords=hive+active+heating+and+hot+water

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Use CamelCamelCamel to see how the price has changed on that product on Amazon:

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Hive-Active-Heating-Install-Amazon/product/B011B3J6B8

You can see that the lowest that has gone to is £118. You can sign up and create an alert for when it gets to a desired price - say £130, handy if you are not in a rush to buy it.

• Advertisement

What does two channel downstairs mean?

Do most boiler have three options/zones ?
    1) Heat upstairs
    2) Heat downstairs
    3) Heat hot water

With this setup you need to buy an additional thermostat. So wondering how many zones you have as the base price on Amazon is £148 with only one thermostat included.

We have 3 zones, upstairs, downstairs,and Hot water.

Bought a hive two zone - for downstairs and hot water and a single zone - for upstairs

That gives two thermostats and one bridge.

The extra zone was £60 in an amazon prime sale and at the same time i bought a warehouse dual zone for £80. I had a new one in the basket but while considering it it went from 99 to 140 odd.

I decided that it was not worth it at that price but when i saw the warehouse one i figured i'd give it a shot.

The box had been opened but everything was there and worked fine.

Have it linked to Alexa now also and the voice control is a nice touch.

We use the remote activation for the hot water a lot. And will use it for the heating in the winter too. no more wasted heating on a timer when we forget to go home!

It was amazon direct - primes sale around July time. that was for the extra zone. the main unit was an amazon warehouse one.

We have 3 zones, upstairs, downstairs,and Hot water.

Bought a hive two zone - for downstairs and hot water and a single zone - for upstairs

That gives two thermostats and one bridge.

The extra zone was £60 in an amazon prime sale and at the same time i bought a warehouse dual zone for £80. I had a new one in the basket but while considering it it went from 99 to 140 odd.

I decided that it was not worth it at that price but when i saw the warehouse one i figured i'd give it a shot.

The box had been opened but everything was there and worked fine.

Have it linked to Alexa now also and the voice control is a nice touch.

We use the remote activation for the hot water a lot. And will use it for the heating in the winter too. no more wasted heating on a timer when we forget to go home!

Wow, fantastic deal! I must keep an eye out. What did it cost to get it fitted?

I had initially intended on getting Hive free with one of the energy suppliers. But you had to sign up for a 2 year deal, discounted rates only for a year. So I worked it out that you'd be cheaper buying the Hive yourself and getting the cheapest rates on the market for gas/electricity.

Wow, fantastic deal! I must keep an eye out. What did it cost to get it fitted?

I had initially intended on getting Hive free with one of the energy suppliers. But you had to sign up for a 2 year deal, discounted rates only for a year. So I worked it out that you'd be cheaper buying the Hive yourself and getting the cheapest rates on the market for gas/electricity.

Same here, it's also 412 on hivehome with the extra zone, considering I'm only looking for something to remotely boost hot water (after sports) I've no intension to pay this kind of money.

I self installed and it was really quite easy (after some help from the plumbing forum here on boards). If you have a modicum of wiring ability and can follow the diagrams in the instructions it's not particularly difficult.

Replace your current controller with the two receivers, either remove the wired thermostats and join the wires together or just turn them up to the max setting and ignore. Plug in hub and follow the pairing instructions. That was what i had to do for my system anyway.

At some stage i might get an electrician to move the receivers from the current location (wall in the hallway - where the old heating control was) so that they are hidden in the press where the motorised valves are located. There was a serious mess of wiring there so i though best not interfere with that!

Had to call the install helpline in the UK to get the hub talking to the thermostats but the guy there was most helpful and had it all sorted in about 10 minutes.

I too wanted the remote boost function, though am loving the voice control through alexa too.

Same here, it's also 412 on hivehome with the extra zone, considering I'm only looking for something to remotely boost hot water (after sports) I've no intension to pay this kind of money.

keep an eye on amazon and amazon warehouse - the warehouse one i got was 'used' but in reality it appeared that the box had just been opened.

How much would you be expecting to pay an electrician to fit?

Is it just Bord Gais electricians that install in Ireland for people who buy with installation included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

How much would you be expecting to pay an electrician to fit?

Is it just Bord Gais electricians that install in Ireland for people who buy with installation included?

Yep.

Hive is a sister brand of Bord Gais Energy's, so that's the tie-up. My experience with them has been excellent so far. Not sure I'd be able to install it myself...

Does anyone know if the electricians that install Hive for Bord Gais are employee's of Bord Gais or the work is subcontracted out?

Does anyone know if the electricians that install Hive for Bord Gais are employee's of Bord Gais or the work is subcontracted out?

They're a combination of direct employees and contractors.

• Advertisement

Anatom wrote: »
    They're a combination of direct employees and contractors.

And a combination of lazy and diligent - 1st guy I got couldn't have cared less, took one look at the wiring in my garage and said I couldn't have separate water/heat and lashed it up. I stewed over this for a few hours and after a bit more research rang them to complain as I had verified over the phone that I should be able to have both. The 2nd guy was fantastic and spent hours sorting it out, even when my internet suddenly died he offered to come back later that day when it was back up, top bloke!

When Bord Gais install what do they do with existing thermostats? Do they join the wires up or do they just turn them up to max? Do they give you a choice?

Not sure, I think the guy who installed ours left it behind him for us to throw away or whatever.

Anatom wrote: »
    Not sure, I think the guy who installed ours left it behind him for us to throw away or whatever.

I think that he meant to ask if your man left the existing Thermostat on the wall, bypassing it or removed it from the wall or gave you a choice.

I think that he meant to ask if your man left the existing Thermostat on the wall, bypassing it or removed it from the wall or gave you a choice.

Yes, this is what I am wondering. Does anyone know?

I thought the Hive thermostat was wireless, to allow you place it anywhere?

I was thinking it ran off batteries and that there was no need for the installer to place the Hive thermostat at the same location as the existing thermostat.

I was thinking it ran off batteries and that there was no need for the installer to place the Hive thermostat at the same location as the existing thermostat.

It is wireless and can be placed anywhere (ideally not above a rad or in a draught)and it sits in a cradle so you can detach it and move it around the house if you want.

Installer took my old timer off the wall, taped up the electrics and stuck up a blanking plate - I had no thermostat.

Sorry, misunderstood. No, I didn't have a thermostat so it wasn't a factor. Yes, the Hive one is wireless (battery operated) and is on the wall in our hall, near the wifi router.

So i could ask the installer to simply detach wires from existing thermostat and join up, and then leave existing thermostat on wall.

At least that way no need to go plastering the wall, plus if i decide to get rid of Hive I can easily move back to using old controller & thermostats.

So i could ask the installer to simply detach wires from existing thermostat and join up, and then leave existing thermostat on wall.

At least that way no need to go plastering the wall, plus if i decide to get rid of Hive I can easily move back to using old controller & thermostats.

if you are doing this you can just leave the old thermostat there turned all the way up to the max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 pegasus425

Did you have any issue registering the Hive System Online (considering you purchased it from Amazon UK)?

Advertisement