Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False rape accusation...who would you believe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The conviction rate is small as the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt, as would a false claim be. Some people saying just because a conviction didnt happen doesnt mean the rape didnt, by the same token a lot of cases cant be proved false beyond reasonable doubt so thats dropped too.

I don't understand what you're saying here?

Look at ched evans, the chaps life is still in tatters even though he's innocent, but trying to secure a conviction for a false claim that lands her with a custodial sentence is impossible

This is worth a read, and addresses both your points above -

10 myths busted about the Ched Evans case

1. So Ched Evans has been proved innocent, right?

Wrong. You’d be forgiven for thinking this, given that it was in the prepared statement read out by his solicitor, but Ched Evans has not “demonstrated his innocence”. That is not how our criminal justice system operates. It is not a means by which the truth of a situation or event is conclusively and fully determined. Rather the jury are asked one simple question – are you sure that the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt (or, as juries are commonly instructed, so that you are sure)? “Not guilty” means just that. The jury were not sure that he was guilty. They may have decided that he was totally, utterly innocent, but we don’t know. All we know is that they considered the evidence, and were less than sure of his guilt. As I tell juries in every closing speech – if you think the defendant probably did it, he’s still not guilty. 

2. Well at the very least, the verdict means that the complainant has lied, surely?

No. Absolutely not. A not guilty verdict in most cases is insufficient to safely infer that the jury have concluded that a complainant lied (as opposed to the jury not being sure one way or the other), but in this case the facts suggest the opposite. As the Court of Appeal made clear in its judgment allowing the appeal, X has never asserted that she was raped. She has always simply maintained that she had no memory of what happened. It was the prosecution case – the case theory of the Crown Prosecution Service – that she was raped. The defence case was based not on the “usual” he said/ she said dispute over consent, but rather he said/ she can’t remember. There is absolutely no safe basis for suggesting she has lied, or, to quell the more hysterical calls, that she should be prosecuted on the basis of Evans’ acquittal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Is that even a category on its own? Even a 10 second Google search shows people being prosecuted for giving false statements. You're trying to fit the facts around your opinion.
    Yes that is a category on its own. section 12 of the criminal law act 1976 any person who a knowingly makes a false report or statement. central statistics office shows 71 type of offence homicide to rape and sexual assault etc. from 2003 to 2016 so the what that tells us the government keep no records files of false rape accusation . because I know of at least two such complaints that were made to garda in 2012 for false rape accusation and now there is no records off them?

You just backed it up with facts yourself? :confused:
    but how do you explain this. I know for a fact that two people made complaints/statements to garda in 2012 about false rape accusation and now there is no records of them? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Yes that is a category on its own. section 12 of the criminal law act 1976 any person who a knowingly makes a false report or statement. central statistics office shows 71 type of offence homicide to rape and sexual assault etc. from 2003 to 2016 so the what that tells us the government keep no records files of false rape accusation . because I know of at least two such complaints that were made to garda in 2012 for false rape accusation and now there is no records off them?

Two conflicting answers to one question. Does the CSO present section 12 in its own category? From your answer I'm guessing it doesn't. I certainly can't see it. Your logic is the equivalent of looking at a sign that says "Everyone Welcome" and thinking you aren't allowed because your name isn't specifically mentioned. Just because breaches of section 12 of the Criminal Law Act aren't individually listed does not mean they don't exist or aren't recorded. The mere fact that there are multiple media reports of people being prosecuted for giving false statements should tell you your logic is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

I'm sure everyone agrees rape and false accusations are both terrible crimes. And the high profile cases that are reported are usually the ones with silly sentences. I.e. One guy was given a suspended cos he paid the girl compensation the incident in drumcondra, or the times women admit to false alligators and revive zero punishment. Both need to have tougher sentences but it needs to be done in away that dosnt discorge real victims from coming forward something that is reportedly already the majority and to make it harder for victims can't really be an option

• Advertisement

Two conflicting answers to one question. Does the CSO present section 12 in its own category? From your answer I'm guessing it doesn't. I certainly can't see it. Your logic is the equivalent of looking at a sign that says "Everyone Welcome" and thinking you aren't allowed because your name isn't specifically mentioned. Just because breaches of section 12 of the Criminal Law Act aren't individually listed does not mean they don't exist or aren't recorded. The mere fact that there are multiple media reports of people being prosecuted for giving false statements should tell you your logic is flawed.
    what I am trying to say it looks like to any one looking for facts our evidence of false rape accusation. its like it does not happen. but you when go for facts our evidence of rape there all there for 13 years. for all to see. example of a case of false rape accusation Brazilian women accused of making a false rape accusations in Dublin she was in court her name Regina De Oliveira from Phibsboro Dublin. she was in court 17 September 2014. but there is no record on of this on CSO .like the two complaints I know of false rape accusations made to Garda. and yes you 100 per cent right there is a lot of news papers stories of Men/Women making false rape accusation that is true what you say and I totally agree with you.

what I am trying to say it looks like to any one looking for facts our evidence of false rape accusation. its like it does not happen. but you when go for facts our evidence of rape there all there for 13 years. for all to see. example of a case of false rape accusation Brazilian women accused of making a false rape accusations in Dublin she was in court her name Regina De Oliveira from Phibsboro Dublin. she was in court 17 September 2014. but there is no record on of this on CSO .like the two complaints I know of false rape accusations made to Garda. and yes you 100 per cent right there is a lot of news papers stories of Men/Women making false rape accusation that is true what you say and I totally agree with you.

There is a record of it on the CSO, it's just not given an individual category in the published figures, it's included with other figures. i don't think rape is even given an individual category, it's included with sexual offences isn't it? You're acting like there is some kind of conspiracy to hide the figures. Have you written to the CSO and asked for the ones you are looking for?

There is a record of it on the CSO, it's just not given an individual category in the published figures, it's included with other figures. i don't think rape is even given an individual category, it's included with sexual offences isn't it? You're acting like there is some kind of conspiracy to hide the figures. Have you written to the CSO and asked for the ones you are looking for?
    Answer to your first question rape and sexual Offence are under the same Offence under the CSO. conspiracy ? there is 100 per cent sum question for the CSO Central statistics office to answer in why the published data for the last 13 years of rape and sexual assaults. but do not published data for false rape accusation? so how do we know how small our large false rape accusation are if the data is not put up on the CSO ?

Answer to your first question rape and sexual Offence are under the same Offence under the CSO. conspiracy ? there is 100 per cent sum question for the CSO Central statistics office to answer in why the published data for the last 13 years of rape and sexual assaults. but do not published data for false rape accusation? so how do we know how small our large false rape accusation are if the data is not put up on the CSO ?

There is no charge specifically for a false rape allegations. It's a general charge for all false allegations and false statements. In the CSO figures it's in a sub category of perverting the course of justice.

There is no charge specifically for a false rape allegations. It's a general charge for all false allegations and false statements. In the CSO figures it's in a sub category of perverting the course of justice.
    what you are saying in this post is very interesting there is no charge specifically for a false rape allegations.? CSO figures its in a sub category of perverting the course of justice. so there is no break down of how many false rape accusations happen in Ireland from 2003 to 2016. so how can so many people in media Organisations rape crisis centre say that false rape accusations are so rare when the do not know this be a fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

I am no expert on statistics for false accusations. But here is a scholarly article that looked at the issue:

Gross, B. (2008). False rape allegations: An assault on justice. Annals of the
    American Psychotherapy Association, 11, 45–49.
    Crying Rape

Although there is no doubt that false rape allegations occur, it is extremely difficult to determine what percentage of rape reports is intentionally false. This is due to many factors, including jurisdictional variation in definition, criteria, and reporting practices, as well as the fact that not all rapes are reported. Although the FBI had set 8% as the average rate of false (actually, unfounded) accusations during the late 1990s, there is remarkable variation in the estimates of false allegations of rape found in the literature (Kanin, 1994; Epstein, 2005). A review of those studies on false rape accusations conducted between 1968 and 2005 showed a percentage range from 1–90% (Rumney, 2006).

Very little formal research has been conducted on the prevalence of false allegations of rape. One study looked at the 109 cases of forcible rape that were disposed of in one small midwestern town between 1978 and 1987 (Kanin, 1994). The given town was specifically selected for study because the police department used a uniquely objective and thorough protocol when investigating rape complaints. Among other procedural safeguards, officers did not have the discretion to drop rape investigations if they concluded the complaint was “suspect” or unfounded. Every rape accusation had to be thoroughly investigated and included offering a polygraph to both the accuser and the accused. Cases were only determined to be false if and when the accuser admitted that no rape occurred.

The researchers further investigated those cases that the police, through their investigation, had ultimately determined were “false” or fabricated. During the follow-up investigation, the complainants held fast to their assertion that their rape allegation had been true, despite being told they would face penalties for filing a false report. As a result, 41% of all of the forcible rape complaints were found to be false. To further this study, a similar analysis was conducted on all of the forcible rape complaints filed at two large midwestern public universities over a 3-year period. Here, where polygraphs were not offered as part of the investigatory procedure, it was found that 50% of the complaints were false.

Charles P. McDowell, a researcher in the United States Air Force Special Studies Division, studied the 1,218 reports of rape that were made between 1980 and 1984 on Air Force bases throughout the world (McDowell, 1985). Of those, 460 were found to be “proven” allegations either because the “overwhelming preponderance of the evidence” strongly supported the allegation or because there was a conviction in the case. Another 212 of the total reports were found to be “disproved” as the alleged victim convincingly admitted the complaint was a “hoax” at some point during the initial investigation. The researchers then investigated the 546 remaining or “unresolved” rape allegations including having the accusers submit to a polygraph. Twenty-seven percent (27%) of these complainants admitted they had fabricated their accusation just before taking the polygraph or right after they failed the test. (It should be noted that whenever there was any doubt, the unresolved case was re-classified as a “proven” rape.) Combining this 27% with the initial 212 “disproved” cases, it was determined that approximately 45% of the total rape allegations were false.

Unfortunately, like the two studies presented here, the empirical studies that exist on the frequency of false rape allegations are sparse in number and have notable limitations. Small sample sizes and non-representative samples preclude generalizability. Regardless, the mere number of publicized incidents of false accusations of rape over the last two decades indicates not only a need for further investigation into the problem, but a better understanding of how to identify such cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't understand what you're saying here?

This is worth a read, and addresses both your points above -

10 myths busted about the Ched Evans case

1. So Ched Evans has been proved innocent, right?

Wrong. You’d be forgiven for thinking this, given that it was in the prepared statement read out by his solicitor, but Ched Evans has not “demonstrated his innocence”. That is not how our criminal justice system operates. It is not a means by which the truth of a situation or event is conclusively and fully determined. Rather the jury are asked one simple question – are you sure that the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt (or, as juries are commonly instructed, so that you are sure)? “Not guilty” means just that. The jury were not sure that he was guilty. They may have decided that he was totally, utterly innocent, but we don’t know. All we know is that they considered the evidence, and were less than sure of his guilt. As I tell juries in every closing speech – if you think the defendant probably did it, he’s still not guilty. 

2. Well at the very least, the verdict means that the complainant has lied, surely?

No. Absolutely not. A not guilty verdict in most cases is insufficient to safely infer that the jury have concluded that a complainant lied (as opposed to the jury not being sure one way or the other), but in this case the facts suggest the opposite. As the Court of Appeal made clear in its judgment allowing the appeal, X has never asserted that she was raped. She has always simply maintained that she had no memory of what happened. It was the prosecution case – the case theory of the Crown Prosecution Service – that she was raped. The defence case was based not on the “usual” he said/ she said dispute over consent, but rather he said/ she can’t remember. There is absolutely no safe basis for suggesting she has lied, or, to quell the more hysterical calls, that she should be prosecuted on the basis of Evans’ acquittal.

That blog post is very biased , all I got from that was "they just couldnt prove he did it, shes completely innocent in all of this" when the reality is he's innocent and if she just "couldnt remember" there wouldnt even be a complaint that mandated ched being in court.

You seem to be getting confused a lot by my , what I would consider are easy to follow posts, considering that blog post link and your replys, Id like to ask one question to gauge your view ,

Do you think there is a higher percentage of rapists who did do it getting off in court than there are false accusations.

That blog post is very biased , all I got from that was "they just couldnt prove he did it, shes completely innocent in all of this" when the reality is he's innocent and if she just "couldnt remember" there wouldnt even be a complaint that mandated ched being in court.

You have to remember that this girl didn't make any allegation of rape against Ched Evans, so there was no false allegation made, which makes the Ched Evans case irrelevant to what we're talking about here which is people who do make false allegations of rape.

You seem to be getting confused a lot by my , what I would consider are easy to follow posts, considering that blog post link and your replys, Id like to ask one question to gauge your view ,

Do you think there is a higher percentage of rapists who did do it getting off in court than there are false accusations.

Well the reason I'm confused by your posts is that while they're easy to read, it's hard to make out why you're putting rape in the same sentence as false allegations of rape. They're two very different things, and I'm just confused as to why you can't actually see that - they're completely independent of each other and one has no bearing on the other.

I can't give a definitive answer to your question and I couldn't even begin to speculate. "I don't know" about the only honest answer I can give you, because as trite as it is to say it, but you might recognise the quote -

"It doesn't matter what I believe. It only matters what I can prove!"*

And it's particularly relevant in a Court of Law.

*A Few Good Men

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

And what if the truth is that your friend or family are guilty.

Are you saying you'd stick by someone no matter what the proof?

pilly wrote: »

So would you betray your true friend by surmise your friend would you like your friend to betrayed you? . would you Betaryal your friend over lies and false rape accusations this could happen you our to sum body you love and would you like if people friends turned there backs on you ?. and your 100 per cent innocent how would you feel ?. what would your friend think of you if your turned your back on them ?. and there 100 per cent innocent of any crime .? so the question for you is sum has it out for you and there are pure evil that the would make up false rape accusation our any other type of false accusations?. and next you tell your true friend say you know them 25 years just say and next the Dissociate from them you?. second quess your true friend. them and next years later all it all comes out the truth with evidence proving their innocence and its to late you turned your back on your friend for 25 years that to me is as bad as the false rape accusations ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

So would you betray your true friend by surmise your friend would you like your friend to betrayed you? would you Betaryal your friend over lies and false rape accusations this could happen you our to sum body you love and would you like if people friends turned there backs on you,? and your 100 per cent innocent how would you feel ? what would your friend think of you if your turned your back on them.? and there 100 per cent innocent of any crime? so the question for you is sum has it out for you and there are pure evil that the would make up false rape accusation our any other type of false accusations. and next you tell your true friend say you know them 25 years just say and next the Dissociate from them you.? second quess your true friend. them and next years later all it all comes out the truth with evidence proving their innocence and its to late you turned your back on your friend for 25 years that to me is as bad as the false rape accusations?

Mod:

Your previous posts show that you have the capability of posting properly, when you choose to do so.

Therefore, you have made a deliberate choice to post without using proper syntax or punctuation. This is not acceptable on a discussion forum.

You can either post properly or else don't post here at all.

Please do not reply to this post on the thread.

pilly wrote: »

and what if the truth is that your friend or family are guilty?.
    Garda Investigation Process Can take up to Nine moths to over One year our more Gathering evidence. So your friend our my friend is in no mans land. Sum people the min the hear just the hearsay of false rape accusations our other false accusations the will never speak to you again. You are now a Outcast of Society all your of friends believe the hearsay evidence and the all Rejected you. Next a year later the Garda Investigate is over and there is no Basis to the rape accusation our other type of false accusation? Now your friend is proven to be innocent by the Garda. but you our I did not stand by them in there time of need. That is what you call JUDAS FRIENDS.

Garda Investigation Process Can take up to Nine moths to over One year our more Gathering evidence. So your friend our my friend is in no mans land. Sum people the min the hear just the hearsay of false rape accusations our other false accusations the will never speak to you again. You are now a Outcast of Society all your of friends believe the hearsay evidence and the all Rejected you. Next a year later the Garda Investigate is over and there is no Basis to the rape accusation our other type of false accusation? Now your friend is proven to be innocent by the Garda. but you our I did not stand by them in there time of need. That is what you call JUDAS FRIENDS.

Sorry, I have to agree with the moderator. It's becoming too tiring to read your posts.

Do We ever think for one minute our Friends will betray us?.

Now you're answering yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do We ever think for one minute our Friends will betray us?.

Do not post in this thread again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The awkward moment -

The alt-right rallied around a white woman who said 3 black men raped her. She lied.

"An 18-year-old white woman has been arrested after confessing to falsely accusing three black men of sexually assaulting her — but that wasn't before white nationalists on Twitter and Reddit used the alleged incident to fuel their anti-black rhetoric. 

According to a statement from the Denison, Texas, police department, Breana Harmon Talbott burst into a church on March 8 visibly injured and wearing just a shirt, bra and underwear alleging that she had been kidnapped and raped in the woods by three masked black men. Talbott said one of the men held her down while the other two raped her. 

After giving police her account of the alleged crimes, Talbott went to the hospital and authorities launched a full investigation, collecting evidence and searching the area were the supposed assault occurred.

When news of Talbott's alleged assault made its way to media outlets, members of the alt-right and those with white nationalist leanings latched onto it, using it as evidence of a rash of black-on-white crime and accusing the "liberal" media of intentionally ignoring the story."

Story continues in the link, but I don't imagine we'll ever have cases like the above here in Ireland at least.

The awkward moment -

The alt-right rallied around a white woman who said 3 black men raped her. She lied.

"An 18-year-old white woman has been arrested after confessing to falsely accusing three black men of sexually assaulting her — but that wasn't before white nationalists on Twitter and Reddit used the alleged incident to fuel their anti-black rhetoric. 

According to a statement from the Denison, Texas, police department, Breana Harmon Talbott burst into a church on March 8 visibly injured and wearing just a shirt, bra and underwear alleging that she had been kidnapped and raped in the woods by three masked black men. Talbott said one of the men held her down while the other two raped her. 

After giving police her account of the alleged crimes, Talbott went to the hospital and authorities launched a full investigation, collecting evidence and searching the area were the supposed assault occurred.

When news of Talbott's alleged assault made its way to media outlets, members of the alt-right and those with white nationalist leanings latched onto it, using it as evidence of a rash of black-on-white crime and accusing the "liberal" media of intentionally ignoring the story."

Story continues in the link, but I don't imagine we'll ever have cases like the above here in Ireland at least.

that site is just as bad as the alt right :
    What's worse, though, is that Talbott's actions perpetuated a long history of white people — and specifically white women — making false accusations against black men. In fact, the Root has rounded up a whole list of some of the most famous instances of white people lying about crimes, including a case in 1931 involving two white women falsely accusing nine black men of sexual assault. Even after one of the women admitted her friend had fabricated the crimes, many of the men were sentenced to jail time anyway.

And, of course, Talbott's isn't the only contemporary case of white women falsely accusing black men. In October, Michigan resident Leiha Ann-Sue Artman fabricated a story similar to Talbott's, claiming four black men kidnapped, raped and beat her. She was sentenced to one year in prison.

thats just a paragraph of "boo white people"

that site is just as bad as the alt right :

thats just a paragraph of "boo white people"

Yeah I'll be honest, the use of the phrase "alt-right" at this stage is a good indication that what you're about to read should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the story itself does point to how quick some people are to use stories like this to fuel their own particular agenda. It's even odd that as one of the most vocal critics of people who make false allegations of rape, you skipped over that to point out how the article appeared to be more interested in demonising white people!

I shouldn't laugh but honestly, come on, how did you miss the point that a girl made a false allegation? The reason I thought it was an interesting article was because of the amount of identity politics behind people's biases involved.

Yeah I'll be honest, the use of the phrase "alt-right" at this stage is a good indication that what you're about to read should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the story itself does point to how quick some people are to use stories like this to fuel their own particular agenda. It's even odd that as one of the most vocal critics of people who make false allegations of rape, you skipped over that to point out how the article appeared to be more interested in demonising white people!

I shouldn't laugh but honestly, come on, how did you miss the point that a girl made a false allegation? The reason I thought it was an interesting article was because of the amount of identity politics behind people's biases involved.

Ohh its complete identity politics,
    white supremacists are dumb, we know that, luckily for those lads her lie was found out.

I think if the race of the alleged perpetrator influences your views on who you'd likely believe then you have bigger problems to deal with.

I don't think I missed the point, but referencing any 'fake news' type site is a bad idea. I don't even know if any of that story is even real, when you have to throw in paragraphs like that, it makes me doubt the entire thing. But taking that potentially real / not real story (any other sources on it ?) at face value, the girl was wrong to file a false claim, and the white supremacists were jumping on it to further an agenda, which in the case of rape, should never be used as a vehicle for your own prejudices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 LouisSmith1

I think that if it is proven that the girl made a false accusation she is the one that should go to prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 NoahL

I think that if it is proven that the girl made a false accusation she is the one that should go to prison.
    I agree

A long sentence seems fair:
    Woman who made series of false rape claims jailed for 10 years
    'You are a very, very convincing liar and you enjoy being seen as a victim,' judge tells her

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/woman-false-rape-claims-series-jailed-london-jemma-beale-a7911486.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Pathathic sentence for this one:
    Crime student lied that taxi driver raped her after he refused kebab-soaked money

A student who wanted to be a police officer has been jailed after she lied that she had been raped by a taxi driver.

Sophie Pointon left the taxi driver’s life in ruins after the false accusation that was sparked when he refused to accept a kebab-soaked £10 note.

Her victim, a devout Muslim, said that he had been religiously tainted by what had been said and was shunned by friends and members of his community in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

He was banned from entering their homes, was stripped of his taxi licence for four weeks and unable to make any money.

He told the court: ‘I am now extremely reluctant to take lone females in case I am accused again.

‘The girl who accused me is the same age as my own daughter – I cannot comprehend why she made this allegation.

Speaking about the stress he suffered at the hands of the fake claims, he added:

‘Friends stopped speaking to me and letting me in to their homes.

‘People in my community do not even want to be seen with me.’

Pointon’s lies were untangled thanks to the information from the taxi’s GPRS.

A recording of a conversation between the driver and a phone operator at his taxi office supported his account.

Pointon broke down in tears and asked if she could drop the charges when her account was challenged by police.

She said her hopes of becoming a police officer were now ruined. She was jailed for 16 months.

Advertisement