Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Destiny Forum Beers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well if thats all thats needed then it doesnt have to be in dublin either :P

Exactly. Just head to down Cark, mumble something just within earshot of the locals about Dublin being the real capital and it's greatness. There's your scrap for the night right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'd be happy enough to keep the gaming separate to the drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Is this actually gonna happen?

I'm in 100% If it's in/around Dublin would travel outside the capital but dunno how far and I'd say most of us are from the big shmoke anyway.

And don't be giving them the idea of having it in cork.. we all know they think it's the center of the world already...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Is this actually gonna happen?

I'm in 100% If it's in/around Dublin would travel outside the capital but dunno how far and I'd say most of us are from the big shmoke anyway.

And don't be giving them the idea of having it in cork.. we all know they think it's the center of the world already...

pfft dublins a kip clare is the spot, i'll talk to my compatriots about getting bunratty castle for the day.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    pfft dublins a kip clare is the spot, i'll talk to my compatriots about getting bunratty castle for the day.

I've spent enough time in Clare in my days I'll stay here thanks

• Advertisement

SeanHarty wrote: »
    I've spent enough time in Clare in my days I'll stay here thanks

but....but...its a kip

jcd5971 wrote: »
    but....but...its a kip

Since I'm actually a Wicklow man living in dublin I'll still stay here...

Was in Ennis not to long ago giving a presentation for work...

Brought back bad memories ha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, we will 100% organise a big night out for the clan. A few of us had a little chat last night and there was mention of even a small meet up to begin with just to get this off the ground etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Lads, we will 100% organise a big night out for the clan. A few of us had a little chat last night and there was mention of even a small meet up to begin with just to get this off the ground etc.

So there's going to be a drinks night to organise a drinks night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So there's going to be a drinks night to organise a drinks night.

The more drinks the better ;)

• Advertisement

Well, thats genuinely not a Destiny Forum Beers if you're creating little silo'd nights out.

Well, thats genuinely not a Destiny Forum Beers if you're creating little silo'd nights out.

Well i could just not bother to try organise anything again so

Well i could just not bother to try organise anything again so

Ok. There was a lot of back and forth on this before tbh so i'll try summarise for transparency sakes...

Best bet is to just straight up ignore people from outside Dublin who aren't willing to travel.
    You'll have a vocal minority regardless.
    The vast majority of people active (at least on PS4 on Boards) will be within a reasonable commuting/travel distance of Dublin centre.
    I can actually count on my 2 hands the people living a considerable distance outside the Pale and by trying to placate those handful of people (me incl) we're gonna be inconveniencing the vast majority of people in the Pale. It's probably like a 25% / 75% split

There was all this roundabout talk about Wicklow and such before cause of the "out of towners" but honestly, you have lads expecting ~15 people to come to them when they won't go to the vast majority.
    This is why I don't mind travelling to Dublin (the 1st time) as it's basically a gesture of goodwill.
    And tbh, if there's a 2nd or 3rd time and none of the Dubs are actually willing to leave Dublin (even to just other parts of the Pale), I'm gonna just stop bothering with it, cause you'll end up in a toxic situation like AH, where all the Dubs expect Dublin Beers to be the status quo.

I'm quite happy to set my stall out and travel for the sake of the 1st time to get it going personally. Others won't be.
    If we try to appease 100% of people, it won't happen, even if we try to appease 75% of people it won't happen.
    Just try go with what a sizeable number will agree to.
    I think last time we had like 14-20 people and funnily, it only fell on it's a$$ as I genuinely could not justify Dublin accommodation prices as it was like 300+ a night (Ireland v Wales rugby game was on) and to be fair - it was a nice gesture - the rest went "ah well, we'll wait till Generic can actually make it so" and then we just lost momentum.

We should pick a decent bar somewhere within 30 mins walk (or Luas or whatever) of the city centre and give people enough notice and see what kind of uptake we get

Then, if it goes well, have the next one in like... Wicklow and like the 3rd in Munster. I'm getting ahead of myself now obviously, but tbh it always f**ked me off how AH (before I bailed on that place) ended up having theirs in Dublin soooooo often everything else became absolutely unimaginable.

Seems like a job for Google docs maybe? That way we can indicate where we're based and if we can travel to Dublin and maybe throw in like 8 weekends in Oct/Nov and people can mark the ones they are unavailable.

While I enjoy all the Dub v Cork banter at the best of times. I also have a bit of cop on and common sense and realise this will have to start somewhere, so start where 15 people might actually turn up

I think you think I'm resistant to the idea of it being small to start, i'm not, I'm in agreement. And tbh, most of the post isn't directed at you, just at the general whataboutery. Start it small and 100% transparently organised. If people don't show interest or turn up, well, thats ok or screw em :P

On a side note, what was the bar that we were going to last time? I think it was some place with a big smoking area Fieldog recommended

I only end up in the same 3 -> 4 bars when I go to Dublin, and those are probably frowned upon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

We're probably making more of this than it should be.

We've all kind of agreed that Dublin is where we're going.
    Let's set up a poll and agree on a week (sooner rather than later).
    After we have a date, the rest will follow. Deciding on a venue will be much easier after that.

Who want's to set the poll up (I'm hoping someone will volunteer to sett one up as I'm extremely busy at the moment)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

On a side note, what was the bar that we were going to last time? I think it was some place with a big smoking area Fieldog recommended

I only end up in the same 3 -> 4 bars when I go to Dublin, and those are probably frowned upon :pac:

Bernard Shaw, about a 5 min walk from the Charlemont luas stop in Portobello.

Big market full of food vans at the weekend, so a good variety of grub for anyone who wants to eat.

I honestly don't think we should be stressing about meetup number 2, 3, etc. until we get the first one over and done with.

You're right in saying people travelling to Dublin are making a big effort to be there, that's understood and appreciated. But I believe once we get 1 beer organised, the rest will look after itself.
    We'll get a good idea of who's willing to go to an event, who's willing to travel, and where we think would be a good idea for event number 2 but we shouldn't be clouding the situation with how AH have fecked up, let's get our first beers organised and have a bit of craic!

Chimp, you're saying the same thing is as me, I just think the tone of my wall of text is coming across badly. Ye know what I was getting at like

Less talk, more beers :)

Fibbers and the like will do just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Well my 8cents would be that I wouldn't mind traveling to Cork tbh or anywhere other than Dublin for a change. Dublin pubs are overpriced and overrated and full of pretentious dickheads most of the time. It's as much hassle for me getting out of the place than most living in the last county of Dublin. A trip to Cork would be lovely, but that's just me.

Will look forward to whatever is planned though and meeting everyone.

Will also travel to cork, love the place

would also travel to cork happily.

im coming from whest clare as well so it takes as long to get to dublin as it does to get to cork, so it would be no shorter to travel.

I would say i`ll go to dublin if i have to aswell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If I can make a weekend of it with the wife I'd head down to Cork - she has family down there so I might be able to send her to them for the night.

Get in a day in Fota Island would bank some good will I reckon.

I did not PM a load of these people to make these posts :pac:

Cork 2nd time maybe, sure, we'll see. Lets stick with the OG Plan of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I did not PM a load of these people to make these posts :pac:

Cork 2nd time maybe, sure, we'll see. Lets stick with the OG Plan of Dublin

I'm easy as to wherever either, I don't mind if it's Dublin, Cork, Galway, or even the Midlands...

Maybe we could do a wee poll and see what people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I'm just happy to get out of Carlow.

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'm easy as to wherever either, I don't mind if it's Dublin, Cork, Galway, or even the Midlands...

Maybe we could do a wee poll and see what people think?

Not the Midlands! o_O

Carlow shares the sentiment :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Had some fantastic nights down in Carlow. Was there for 3 years in college. Seems like a lifetime ago 😕 I'm sure it's completely different now.

Advertisement