Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

How are EI getting by without an A332 in rotation? Must be tight.

Omni came to the rescue over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

We can see why there's been so little investment in the short haul fleet here - it's loss making apparently:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-it-faces-turbulent-times-as-lowcost-norwegian-and-ryanair-threaten-its-market-share-35957841.html

Not mentioned is the effect of connecting passengers onto long haul...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Then dont go head to head with ULCCs by trying to be a LCC.
    Follow the formula of the previous CEO and target a different market. I never had any faith in this latest CEO. Everything I heard from mates in EI confirmed those thoughts.

Reading that article makes it seem like the increased competition from Norwegian and Ryanair came as a surprise. That was a no brainer, they should have been reading boards.ie and started facing up to this 12-18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Amazing they can sponsor the IRFU and give the players free business seats etc etc and pay for promoting a DC3....wait till August 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭zone 1

320 are all about 12 years old thats still good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,224 ✭✭✭✭L1011

zone 1 wrote: »

Not all, or even close to all

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Not really. There hasnt been any shorthaul replacement process over the last few years. Ideally an airline should have a continual fleet renewal in place rather than getting hit with a very large capital investment cost in 3-5 years.

And as above didnt most recent IAG results present EI are their star pupil?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Amazing they can sponsor the IRFU and give the players free business seats etc etc and pay for promoting a DC3....wait till August ������

It's not an 'either or' situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Amazing they can sponsor the IRFU and give the players free business seats etc etc and pay for promoting a DC3....wait till August ������

Bizarrely enough every company has to market itself - this chestnut keeps coming up - companies have to promote themselves to the public.

Would you prefer EI did no marketing whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

http://dc3training.com/type-rating/
    It might be fun for 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah BA, Air France, Lufthansa, Finnair etc all fly A320s that are reaching 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

According to this website the average fleet age is 11.9 years but the A321's and the four 757's that they don't own may affect this. I didn't do the maths!

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Aer-Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Mebuntu wrote: »
    According to this website the average fleet age is 11.9 years but the A321's and the four 757's that they don't own may affect this. I didn't do the maths!

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Aer-Lingus

Via Airfleets.net

423420.jpg

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Aer%20Lingus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Tenger wrote: »
    Not really. There hasnt been any shorthaul replacement process over the last few years. Ideally an airline should have a continual fleet renewal in place rather than getting hit with a very large capital investment cost in 3-5 years.

And as above didnt most recent IAG results present EI are their star pupil?

Part of that is to do with the lack of major capex on the shourthaul side though(thanks to cheaper renegotiated leases on older planes, and leasing/purchasing used planes as additions to the fleet instead of brand new).

The 'reward' for being the star pupil is the investment in new A330s for long haul ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I wouldn't bet on Norwegian being around in 5 years time, markets are getting very nervous about them. People were hoping their leasing business would turn the tide, but apparently nobody else wants the engines they've put on their NEOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭zone 1

AL a320 make emergency landing in dublin. flight cork to faro

AL a320 make emergency landing in dublin. flight cork to faro

I believe this was discussed on another thread, it was a hydrolics issue, the passengers continued their journey on another aircraft and the problem aircraft was repaired and is back in service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-DEA was back flying later in the afternoon so couldn't have been that bad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I have moved a number of posts that are not Aer Lingus fleet related to a new thread. If I've missed any, please report them, and we can tidy things up a bit more.

Please, lets keep this to fleet issues, and keep the industrial relations and pay related issues out of this thread

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Does anyone have info on cancelled A330 flights recently?

The Toronto to Dublin flight before mine was cancelled. Then when seeing what EI-ELA was up to, it seems its return trip was also canceled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

bbk wrote: »
    Does anyone have info on cancelled A330 flights recently?

The Toronto to Dublin flight before mine was cancelled. Then when seeing what EI-ELA was up to, it seems its return trip was also canceled.

According to thelingussource the following on Thursday were cancelled:

EI100 Newark – Dublin
    EI101 Dublin – Newark
    EI128 Toronto – Dublin
    EI129 Dublin – Toronto

I'd imagine it's due to EI-LAX being out of commission, and the Hi-Fly A340 having gone back to Lisbon, maybe they couldn't charter anything in

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Aer Lingus has hired in a Privilege Style 763 for T/A ops.

http://www.thelingussource.com/

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Aer Lingus has hired in a Privilege Style 763 for T/A ops.

http://www.thelingussource.com/

All these hire-ins must be costing $$$$
    How long are they estimated to be down an A330?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Locker10a wrote: »
    All these hire-ins must be costing $$$$
    How long are they estimated to be down an A330?

A few more weeks according to the engineers, EI-LAX got a good bang on the aft right with some structural damage, she currently in hanger 6 with supports underneath and could be heading to Bordeaux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

EI147 hasn't appeared yet today perhaps due to shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-DUO is tech in LAX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

This seems to be recurring issue each year. I no it's not ideal but could a cheap spare not be purchased and used on bucket and spade routes unless required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Is Miami due to be a A332 or A333.
    Also is Orlando to stay A333 during September does anyone know.

EI-DUO is tech in LAX
    So is that DUO and LAX that are AOG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,224 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IE 222 wrote: »
    This seems to be recurring issue each year. I no it's not ideal but could a cheap spare not be purchased and used on bucket and spade routes unless required.

Even a run ragged 330 is not cheap, and the cabin fitout to match the rest of the fleet is very much not cheap. Not would a run ragged frame be very good as a backup as it'd be likely to go tech too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement