Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone posted a picture of me on Facebook...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

People like the OP!

Right. And can I ask you, would you still feel the same if the OP was someone with an anxiety disorder who was genuinely in a state of panic and distress over the situation?

I am very much aware that we don't know if the OP is someone like that, but I'm just curious as to whether that would alter your opinion of "people like the OP"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ruxjit wrote: »
    And I'm ****ing fumin'about it. It's a only a pic of me at work, I'm not on Facebook or any other social media site and I like to keep it that way.

A friend of my sent me a screen shot by iMessage, ****ing raging now, I feel like calling round to the house of the tit that posted it, to tell him to take it down.

Would anyone else be annoyed by this?

Doesn't bother me in the slightest that they stuck your picture up op.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Right. And can I ask you, would you still feel the same if the OP was someone with an anxiety disorder who was genuinely in a state of panic and distress over the situation.

I am very much aware that we don't know if the OP is someone like that, but I'm just curious as to whether that would alter your opinion of "people like the OP"?

I am speaking from my experience about people who get a flap over their photo appearing online or in the newspaper.
    I always find that they just are whingers and pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I am speaking from my experience about people who get a flap over their photo appearing online or in the newspaper.
    I always find that they just are whingers and pathetic.

Okay, that's fair enough. Your experience of people who don't like their photo taken is as valid as mine. I too am speaking from experience which is why I asked. I guess without any further input from the OP we don't know which he/she is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

OP I do totally understand how you feel because I've felt like that before and quite a lot of people have. But really your reaction to it is a sign that you need to chill the **** out. If this is your reaction to this, how are you gonna cope when something that's actually serious happens to you in life?

No judgement, as I said I've reacted the same way before, but it woke me up to how uptight I was.

What if something like this happens again in the future? And again and again? Are you going to keep having a fit over it time and time again?

Btw I can't understand how some people who replied to this thread can't see the difference between the type of social media boards.ie is and the type of social media Facebook is. (Just being contrary for the sake of it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

MsQuinn wrote: »
    My sister's friend ended up on the cover of Now magazine about 10 years ago. In a bikini:eek:

Pics or GTF....... Wait........:D

• Site Banned Posts: 28 ShmuckRyan

I'm not on Fakebook, never have and never will be. I know there's loads of pics of me on it but couldn't give a sh1t, more important things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

Pic or GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I probably wouldn't lose the head over it, but I also don't like it. There are images of me for use in a stock image repository in the place I work, which I can't do anything about. By working here, I forfeit the right to ask for those images to be taken down/not used. That said, I'm not exactly attractive, so nobody is going to use those photos as stock. They're more likely to go, 'who on earth thought that was a good image to put in here?!' as I often do about so many others in that repository. But still, they're there.

I do think it's common courtesy to ask any identifiable parties in photos if it's okay to publish those photos online. I use Facebook and Snapchat, I frequently take pictures of things in public, but I'm careful not to have any identifiable people in them because that's the courtesy I would like extended to me. I also ask my partner/friends etc for permission after they've seen a picture before I post it anywhere online. But it's not something I consciously think about, it's just a habit of manners. Took a pic of my partner on Snapchat making a funny face at a meal out the other evening, showed him, he laughed, I said 'alright if I post this?' he said 'grand'. Done. Beyond that, meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wonder if the OP is receiving social welfare at the moment??
    Bananaleaf wrote: »
    OP is entitled to not want his/her photo put up on social media if he/she doesn't want it there. It's quite obvious (unless you are a total selfish moron) that if someone you know (a) doesn't have facebook or (b) has it but posts minimal content, they probably don't want third parties posting photos of them either.

Comments like the above show the ignorance of those who think that just because they feel it's normal to broadcast every waking moment online, there must be something wrong with those who don't. That is, of course assuming that these posts are for real and it's not just the usual AH posters taking the proverbial. I suspect they are but it's soooo hard to tell these days :pac:

OP - As stated above, I would outline to the person how private you are and ask them to take it down. Expect them to act like you've confessed to mass genocide when you do though, because having a sense of privacy or decorum are fast-fading qualities nowadays.

Cool the jets, I was just taking the proverbial with my comment :)
    Admittedly, I should have used to an emoji or something to convey this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What exactly is the problem with someone having a photo on facebook? its just a photo is it not a little on the paranoid side to be concerned about this, what about weddings or other social occasions when you could be in a group photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mariaalice wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem with someone having a photo on facebook? its just a photo is it not a little on the paranoid side to be concerned about this, what about weddings or other social occasions when you could be in a group photo.

Often I find people who getting annoyed over photos appearing online without their knowledge are generally vain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mariaalice wrote: »

Group photo suggests something organised so anyone unhappy could make their excuses even if they got a slagging for it - or they could be happy enough as their permission was de facto being sought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Or maybe some people like their privacy?

True.
    I'd love to see this foto out of curiosity.
    OP's could well be some barely identifiable stranger in the background of a random photo on some nobody's Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Once upon a time, I took my children to the beach, all of us in our swim gear. THe beach was a 2 minute drive from the holiday home we were renting, so we weren't really in public, as there was no one else driving that route. Arrived at beach, have a good time, then all jump into car to drive back. In-law takes a photo, and shows it to us later. How we laughed, me the naked paedophile with a car load of kids. The angle of the photo didn't show I was wearing shorts.

shortly afterwards the plank posted the photo on Facebook. Now, try to imagine the comments. then try to imagine me 'calmly' 'asking' him to take it the **** down NOW!!!!

20 years ago, and only yesterday he reminisced on how that's a mistake he won't make again. Talk about coincidence , eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Once upon a time, I took my children to the beach, all of us in our swim gear. THe beach was a 2 minute drive from the holiday home we were renting, so we weren't really in public, as there was no one else driving that route. Arrived at beach, have a good time, then all jump into car to drive back. In-law takes a photo, and shows it to us later. How we laughed, me the naked paedophile with a car load of kids. The angle of the photo didn't show I was wearing shorts.

shortly afterwards the plank posted the photo on Facebook. Now, try to imagine the comments. then try to imagine me 'calmly' 'asking' him to take it the **** down NOW!!!!

20 years ago, and only yesterday he reminisced on how that's a mistake he won't make again. Talk about coincidence , eh?

Facebook was only created in 2004!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

shortly afterwards the plank posted the photo on Facebook.

20 years ago, and only yesterday he reminisced on how that's a mistake

Shortly afterwards he posted it but it was 20 years ago.

I call shenanigans

Martin567 wrote: »
    Facebook was only created in 2004!

must remember to go back though my photograph albums for exact dates before posting here again.

ok, 13 years ago and he's .......

The essence remains the same, and the point being made was about how some people don't think before posting.

myself included before another timelord jumps in.

• Advertisement

Shortly afterwards he posted it but it was 20 years ago.

I call shenanigans

which presumably is another way of calling me a liar.

Ya you are:)

Hiya Paddy, didn't know you were on here as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If the guy isn't on Facebook he can't be tagged. Unless he's clearly the subject of the picture and is named in the description then surely just being in a photo by itself isn't an invasion of privacy? He's just a person in a photo otherwise. Still as anonymous as any man or woman you'll walk past every single day of your life, or see in the background of a news report filming on College Green.

You're a liar!!!!!!!!

ok,ok, I DID know you were on here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ruxjit wrote: »
    And I'm ****ing fumin'about it. It's a only a pic of me at work, I'm not on Facebook or any other social media site and I like to keep it that way.

A friend of my sent me a screen shot by iMessage, ****ing raging now, I feel like calling round to the house of the tit that posted it, to tell him to take it down.

Would anyone else be annoyed by this?

My neighbours house burned down last night. They lost everything. Get over yourself it's only a photo.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    If the guy isn't on Facebook he can't be tagged. Unless he's clearly the subject of the picture and is named in the description then surely just being in a photo by itself isn't an invasion of privacy? He's just a person in a photo otherwise. Still as anonymous as any man or woman you'll walk past every single day of your life, or see in the background of a news report filming on College Green.

In my own case, the guy who posted my photograph had a wider circle of 'friends' , and naturally those who knew me personally thought it was hilarious. It was the suggestions from the other halfwits that annoyed me, and the fact that his shortsighted actions had resulted in this, and finally, my kids were also visible in the photo (albeit they were also anonymous) caused me to blow major gaskets. Or perhaps I imagined it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

My neighbours house burned down last night. They lost everything. Get over yourself it's only a photo.

Very suspicious that this thread has been up a few days and then your neighbours house burnt down. Putting my Colombo hat on id say you set fire to the house to make your point to op.

Prove me wrong kids...prove me wrong

Sorry for your neighbour, that really is awful. But the OP has no obligation to switch off his/her emotions just because a random stranger's (to him/her) house burned down last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I also agree with the op, I'd have blown a gasket. Considering how people get angry over colleagues stealing their lunch (which is something that can be replaced), is it really a wonder that some people like the op (and myself, if I found myself in that position, and quite a few others on this thread) react they way they do over someone taking something that doesn't belong to them and using it without asking? Once a picture is out there (regardless of what it is), it's there forever. It doesn't matter if the picture can or cannot be tagged, do you (a general, non-specific 'you') only recognise people if there's a tag on their picture on FB? The OP has every right to demand that his/her picture be taken down.

Advertisement