Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making stuff from pallets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

If you were talking to me thanks a million. I'm happy with it. I'm gonna build some more with oak tops. Some great stuff in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nice one Donal!

I made the dog's kennel from a pallet recently – hardest part was trying to break the bastard thing up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Donal94 wrote: »
    If you were talking to me thanks a million. I'm happy with it. I'm gonna build some more with oak tops. Some great stuff in this thread.

I was Donal! It's a beauty! I have a page if you're on FB. Have a goo in th photos. Always up for new ideas!
    facebook.com/woodenideas75

Few more bits then loads of planing and sanding. Might garnish this one.
    https://instagram.com/p/BLZKsKjBbPe/

There will probably be a scarcity of pallets now in the runup to Halloween with youngfellas stockpiling for bonfires! Might have to raid a few before they get lit!

• Advertisement

Varnished this table. Normally hate the stuff but I think it'll work good for this one

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLqp4F8hKSJ/

BLqp4F8hKSJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

david75 wrote: »
    Varnished this table. Normally hate the stuff but I think it'll work good for this one

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLqp4F8hKSJ/

BLqp4F8hKSJ

Nice. One suggestion would be to use dome nuts to stop people scraping their shins on the threaded rod - or get flat connectors.

recipio wrote: »
    Nice. One suggestion would be to use dome nuts to stop people scraping their shins on the threaded rod - or get flat connectors.

Nah I wanted it to look like this. Domed ones wouldn't go with the look. And I don't like my house guests anyways :)

Made another. This was mostly OSB board and steel rods. . I'll finish it tomorrow. https://instagram.com/p/BMAERogBlIW/

• Advertisement

Made this guy from a pallet yesterday evening

CzyhVGpXEAExBHy.jpg

CzyhVGoWgAADiHc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Now thats what I call a worthwhile use of salvage and rustic wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dave! wrote: »
    Made this guy from a pallet yesterday evening

CzyhVGpXEAExBHy.jpg

CzyhVGoWgAADiHc.jpg

Blacks of Kinsale....excellent choice sir!!

My son Ruairi has made Christmas presents for all his female friends this year from salvage and pallet wood. This was the peice de resistance, a jewellery box made from scraps of oak, mahogany, cherry and pine. We found a pallet made entirely from beautiful clear cherrywood.
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/imakebiodiesel/leonebox%20002_zpsyqybi3lj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scribbles2013

I have 2 wooden pallets in my garden if anyone has any use for them? One is a large 8x4 and the other is a small one.

My son Ruairi has really run with the idea of using Pallet wood . This is a gift he made for another female friend for her 18th birthday.
    The clock face is made from sheet steel cut from an oil drum, etched with a car battery in a solution of salt and vinegar.
    carboot%20002_zpsbpipyk7m.jpg
    The body of the clock is cherrywood except for the top and bottom pieces that are balsam fir. These pieces fill the room with a lovely pine scent .
    carboot%20001_zpsucxtebaq.jpg
    The side of the clock opens to reveal a secret compartment that holds a hand made letter opener / knife.
    carboot%20003_zpsp81wy21z.jpg
    It just shows what can be done with no money and some imagination.
    Incidentally I found out recently why there is so much cherrywood being used in pallets. In the south eastern United States it was found that a moth larvae that grows in the ground under cherry trees was causing pregnant mares to abort when eaten. Ranches in Kentucky and other states have been clear felling cherry trees which are very common in that region. The price of cherry wood has dropped so much its being used for pallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

That's class

Very impressive!

Stunning work. Tell him to keep at it. He has the eye and ability.

• Advertisement

Summer is on the way and thoughts are turning to the garden and barbeques. I saw this design of garden furniture on pinterest and decided to have a go. An oil drum, a wooden pallet and about 2 hours work produced this. Ill buy a paint aerosol on Monday and paint it a nice bright colour. Problem is, my family have now demanded two more.
    barrelseat%20003_zpszcrqzgys.jpg

That's so cool!

I have a huge wooden cable reel I'm thinking of doing the same with it.

More items from pallet wood and salvage materials. I keep laying hens and we have foxes nearby so I house them in this type of hen ark. The frame is salvage wood and the cladding is corriboard supermarket advertising signs. Its great stuff, cuts with a stanley knife can be nailed or screwed to the frame is weather proof and best of all its free, the supermarkets are glad to get rid of it.
    machete%20015_zpshdbehq3t.jpg

Customer asked me to make her a garden gate from pallets. I was terrified about this cos I've never worked with having to build into concrete before. The walls on both sides were totally unlevel to each other and took some serious jiggery pokery to get the posts up and approaching level to each other but she's delighted with the result :) I stained it with cider vinegar steel wool and rusty nail mix. she's gonna properly varnish it herself.

https://instagram.com/p/BTeFsgJFOCd/

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Hi All,
    I thought I'd share my project with you as well. I recently cut overgrown hedging and had to make space for the timber so I've made this outdoor storage. It all started with a composting boxes:

34401456392_9b42e2cba2_c.jpg
    And it grew to this:
    33720675934_6a611e25b4_c.jpg
    33720497444_b0e7989063_c.jpg34177518270_5bff8b4e33_c.jpg34177511990_de2e93be15_c.jpg34177505800_423e293c90_c.jpg

Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Anyone need pallets, south Dublin.
    just 2 small ones at the min but a constant supply in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi guys,

For all of you that have something from pallets for outdoor use, what is the best product to use to preserve the wood? There are a number of products out there, not sure which one to use though

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Hi guys,

For all of you that have something from pallets for outdoor use, what is the best product to use to preserve the wood? There are a number of products out there, not sure which one to use though

Thanks

Two years ago I made window boxes from pallets, all I did was varnish them and they have lasted no bother at all :-)

• Advertisement

The best way to prevent wood rotting outdoors is to design the project so that water does not collect anywhere vulnerable like joints.Also minimize contact between the wood and the ground.
    If that is not enough then there are many wood preservatives on the market. They all use the same copper based insecticide / fungicide chemicals but Cuprinol or Protim are popular brands.. These are persistent and powerful poisons so avoid treating any area where food, pets, children or bare skin will come in regular contact.
    Borax dissolved in warm water is a very effective and safe preservative. Apply two or 3 liberal coats, allow the wood to fully dry and then apply a coat of varnish or Danish oil to prevent leaching . Borax is easy to purchase on line or from chemical suppliers and has many uses as a household or laundry bleaching agent and a way of getting rid of ants and other insects safely

Advertisement